• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 upscaling of PSone + PS2 games: Will it happen?

Beowvlf

Banned
What do you all think?

As far as I'm aware, a feature like this shouldn't affect any of the emulation or whatever in any way, as the RSX should be able to output the video to a higher res after the fact. If the PS3 isn't able to upscale games to 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc., for whatever reason, it should at the very least be able to output all titles at a minimum of 480p. Upscaling isn't as good as it sounds, but it is a nice option, and I really hope Sony includes it for the simple fact that upscaling any video source, no matter how old, is quite simple nowadays. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can already upscale all Xbox titles to 480p, so I would think a much newer machine could handle this easily.

Thoughts?

jett

D-Member
I uh dunno how feasible this is going to be. One thing's for sure if this happens: 2D HUDs are going to look like ass. :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I remember someone mentioning something that would be rather easy to implement that would help rid of the shimmering, I forgot what it was called though.

Heian-kyo said:
What do you all think?

As far as I'm aware, a feature like this shouldn't affect any of the emulation or whatever in any way, as the RSX should be able to output the video to a higher res after the fact. If the PS3 isn't able to upscale games to 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc., for whatever reason, it should at the very least be able to output all titles at a minimum of 480p. Upscaling isn't as good as it sounds, but it is a nice option, and I really hope Sony includes it for the simple fact that upscaling any video source, no matter how old, is quite simple nowadays. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can already upscale all Xbox titles to 480p, so I would think a much newer machine could handle this easily.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see it.
There were a few Xbox games that did this like Soul Calibur 2.

I'd also like to see GT4 downsampled from 1080i to 480p instead of just 480p.

Takuan

Wouldn't that make most PSOne games look terrible? They already look pretty bad to me on a non-HDTV component setup, played with a PS2. If they could somehow make it look better, that'd be a nice feature. Honestly though, just having backwards compatibility is a pretty good bonus.

Takuan said:
Wouldn't that make most PSOne games look terrible? They already look pretty bad to me on a non-HDTV component setup, played with a PS2. If they could somehow make it look better, that'd be a nice feature. Honestly though, just having backwards compatibility is a pretty good bonus.

Yeah but not that many people still care about playing PlayStation games on their PS3, especially once PS3 hits full swing in terms of software releases.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Well, I know that all BRD players have the option to upscale DVD *video* to HD-resolutions but who knows with PSOne/PS2 games :/

Arcticfox

It will be trivial for the PS3 to upscale and deinterlace games. I play games through my computer's TV-tuner with DScaler at 1600x1200 without any trouble, and I only have a 1GHz Pentium 3.

Antialiasing is much trickier.

PSOne games will probably be done through emulation, so the PS3 should be able to do a ton of things to make them look better.

Raistlin

Upscaling isn't hard to implement ... GOOD upscaling is though :)

I'd be happy with 480p, AA and 60fps ... more than happy.

Gattsu25

Banned
Onix said:
Upscaling isn't hard to implement ... GOOD upscaling is though :)

I'd be happy with 480p, AA and 60fps ... more than happy.
The magic 8-ball says that much sadness is in your future.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Heian-kyo said:
As far as I'm aware, a feature like this shouldn't affect any of the emulation or whatever in any way
If by upscaling you mean taking the video out of PS2/PS1 in their NATIVE resolution and stretching it up to HDTV with a fancy filter like some TVs or video players do - then yeah, it's fairly simple thing to do, but it wouldn't really do much to help the look of the games and it would in fact make things look worse in plenty of cases.

On the other hand, if you were thinking about increasing the game rendering resolution - then no, that's a complex problem that would affect emulation in major ways. Chances of that happening are very very small.
Likewise goes for any ideas about adding AA to PS2 games.

Elios83

Fafalada said:
If by upscaling you mean taking the video out of PS2/PS1 in their NATIVE resolution and stretching it up to HDTV with a fancy filter like some TVs or video players do - then yeah, it's fairly simple thing to do, but it wouldn't really do much to help the look of the games and it would in fact make things look worse in plenty of cases.

On the other hand, if you were thinking about increasing the game rendering resolution - then no, that's a complex problem that would affect emulation in major ways. Chances of that happening are very very small.
Likewise goes for any ideas about adding AA to PS2 games.

What improvements to PS2 games do you think are feasible with the PS3 BC if any,Faf? :)

We should be given the option to turn on a bunch of features like AA and some texture filter maybe. I'm not sure about the scaling though.

Anyways if PS2 games are emulated would we not get a more clear output from the RSX?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What improvements to PS2 games do you think are feasible with the PS3 BC if any,Faf?
I think nicer texture filtering/corrected MipMap selection would be pretty simple(it shouldn't cause compatibility problems often, if at all) if RSX is doing the emulation - and since that's usually the worst problem in PS2 games (texture aliasing) it would help quite a bit I imagine.
Faster load times should also be a given, and probably won't cause problems in any PS2 titles.

AA/resolution changes would pretty much require game-profiles to get working reliably, so I wouldn't be optimistic about it. It's not impossible - but the question is if Sony would see the reason to do extra work if they already got backward compatibility working perfectly.
(On MSs side they pretty much decided to go with no-full compatibility route, so they will likely offer any extra feature they can to offset that).

Takuan said:

Exactly. Better off to let the TV handle the scaling (most HDTV scale everything to native res). Texture filtering and AA would be nice, though

Juice

All 8 times I've played PSOne games on my PS2, I haven't gone into the arrangement thinking, "I hope they look cleaner and nicer on the PS2." Each and every time, I've just crossed my fingers hoping that the BC would WORK.

And it was fine until the PS2 stopped reading my memory cards properly and corrupted all of them. *Link*.

Seriously, after the initial launch of the PS3 and I've tried all my PS2 games on it to go "ooh" once or twice, there's no going back to the time when those games didn't look like complete ass anyway. I'll just be happy to not have to have my PS2 around for some reason. As long as BC works I'm happy.

Top Bottom