• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 wins Best VR Award at CES 2023 from Laptop Mag

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

cmZ3x36TxNe3XJV4pBq8EA-1200-80.jpeg.webp

Just ahead of its launch, the PlayStation VR 2 has absolutely blown us away as a true generational leap from the previous PSVR and one of the best VR experiences we’ve played.

The visual fidelity and smoothness of the picture is incredible, the controllers feel great with impeccable haptics, and with what I call that “PlayStation polish,” the first party game experience immerses you in an interactive world — rather than just feeling like a simulation that passes you by.

Sure, the $549 price tag is going to be a little steep for those of us watching our bank balances right now, but for the specs you get (a 4K resolution with 120Hz refresh rate, eye tracking and more), it’s worth that investment for the incredible experience you’ll get.

200.gif

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Genuinely interested in what games were "amazing". This, to me, is a greater barrier than price.

The only games I've seen that looks great is the Half Life game. Everything else seems to be an app/on rails/walking sim kinda deal.

hlm666

What was the competition between?

Would be hilarious if it was the only vr thing there.
There was alot, few different takes on the glasses type devices, pimax crystal, somnium, varjo xr3 focus, bunch of chinese ones similar to quest 2. Technically the varjo must have been the best, or the xtal-3 which the military use. But those are not really for the consumer market so i'm guessing they had to factor in that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I swear Jim Ryan is just running the score up at this point. I've never been happier to be more wrong in my life lol.

I still hate him though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Definately must be taking price into account considering what the pimax has for hardware......

Marvel14

Banned
Gimme Some.

cmZ3x36TxNe3XJV4pBq8EA-1200-80.jpeg.webp

Just ahead of its launch, the PlayStation VR 2 has absolutely blown us away as a true generational leap from the previous PSVR and one of the best VR experiences we’ve played.

The visual fidelity and smoothness of the picture is incredible, the controllers feel great with impeccable haptics, and with what I call that “PlayStation polish,” the first party game experience immerses you in an interactive world — rather than just feeling like a simulation that passes you by.

Sure, the $549 price tag is going to be a little steep for those of us watching our bank balances right now, but for the specs you get (a 4K resolution with 120Hz refresh rate, eye tracking and more), it’s worth that investment for the incredible experience you’ll get.

200.gif

Sony are going to be responsible for VR's proper mainstreaming with this aren't they?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You guys go to town on Google when it comes to defending your favorite brand(s), but seem to forget it exists when it comes to slinging concern™.

What?

I made a joke saying it would be funny if it was the only VR thing there. It's not that big of a deal.

Cool to see it won against a vive unit. I imagine that's a good headset.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The only games I've seen that looks great is the Half Life game. Everything else seems to be an app/on rails/walking sim kinda deal.

Ever heard of Star Wars Squadrons? Elite Dangerous? Assetto Corsa? Superhot? Flight Simulator?

Blade and Sorcery? Gorn? Blood Trail?

Crayon

They made a comment about the price, so it's probably taken into account.

Not surprised that this would get a nod. You're getting OLED screens with HDR, eye tracking, maybe one of the most comfortable setups out there... And game support from a company with at least the capability to do it. For 550 bucks that is a really good proposition for an up-to-date set.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not surprised that this would get a nod. You're getting OLED screens with HDR, eye tracking, maybe one of the most comfortable setups out there... And game support from a company with at least the capability to do it. For 550 bucks that is a really good proposition for an up-to-date set.

I’ve not heard one negative from those that have actually played it and that would be using the current firmware for the device. Software/firmware improvements will only make this device better.
OLED blacks, foveated rendering, 3d positional audio, haptic hand controllers and on the headset. It’s a beast.

Last edited:
Best case scenario is it gets hacked for pc for greater adoption as it would be the best unit PC players could get for the price, by far. It also means sony wouldn’t have to go out of their way to do firmware updates for the hardware for pc and make their VR games pc compatible.

So it stays cheap at 550 and more people buy it

Last edited:

Crayon

Best case scenario is it gets hacked for pc for greater adoption as it would be the best unit PC players could get for the price, by far. It also means sony wouldn’t have to go out of their way to do firmware updates for the hardware for pc and make their VR games pc compatible.

So it stays cheap at 550 and more people buy it

I'm hoping and praying that sony leaves the back door open on this thing for pc use. Prelimenary findings from the community should come quick enough. If they can get it fully working, (less eyetracking and stuff like that) within a year I will be very happy as my pc can run alyx.

This whole time, I've had an option to borrow an index for alyx, but passed. Probably should have taken up that offer... still could actually. But I've waited this long so I'll see if alyx comes to ps or if psvr2 can be made to work on pc.

it seems concern is back. downplaying and all that shit.. even fud

why do people do it? I feel like 2023 has ramped up a little of the concern from the green folk... first replies here are obviously trying to downplay the thing lmao

Last edited:
it seems concern is back. downplaying and all that shit.. even fud

why do people do it? I feel like 2023 has ramped up a little of the concern from the green folk... first replies here are obviously trying to downplay the thing lmao

Sour grapes, its an expensive device and its proprietary to the PS5, so not only is it out of reach cost wise but its a platform exclusive which excludes even more people.

Usually when people are left out of something their next option is to say how they didn’t really want it to begin with, or say that its not that great.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sour grapes, its an expensive device and its proprietary to the PS5, so not only is it out of reach cost wise but its a platform exclusive which excludes even more people.

Usually when people are left out of something their next option is to say how they didn’t really want it to begin with, or say that its not that great.
Oh believe me, once their box has a VR solution, it will be the bees knees. Human nature.

Markio128

As fantastic as some of the games releasing this year look, nothing is getting me as excited as the PSVR2. And it’s coming next month!

Now I’m just waiting for more news on the GT7 VR mode, but at the very least I’ll be setting up a long race in a fast car with a quick time lapse and dynamic weather 😍 I can’t bloody wait!

Crayon

A laptop mag, ok

Don't trip, it's just an opinion.

Sounds great, with plenty of room to lower the price over time as I study it's success.

I'm not counting on a price drop per se. Maybe a little. But they might do one or two of those holiday slasher deals like they did with the first one.

All the big ones were there weren't they?

Yeah there were tons of sets including way high end ones that were impressive in that way but not having the advantage of lower price and sony behind the games.

Reallink

Definately must be taking price into account considering what the pimax has for hardware......

LOLNO. Pimax is the used car salesman of VR. Can 100% guarantee you their hardware was critically flawed in some capacity. Either lenses/focus were shit, tracking was shit, or fit/ergonomics were shit...or all 3 of the above. Company is nothing but grifters selling slapdash prototypes. Heaven help anyone who sends them thousands of dollars for a preorder, cause they're more likely to vanish overnight than send you the broken prototype you paid for.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I have it pre ordered already and have zero doubt it's going to be the premier experience because of software plus hardware.

However I feel like they need to lose more money on this to get more people to adopt. If you get the user base you can make it up in software eventually.

I haven't heard yet but surely it's going to have big screen mode and TV apps hopefully.

500 for the console plus 500 for this is kind of a tough pill for a lot of folks. Cheaper than PC but still tough.

Top Bottom