• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 wins Best VR Award at CES 2023 from Laptop Mag

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have it pre ordered already and have zero doubt it's going to be the premier experience because of software plus hardware.

However I feel like they need to lose more money on this to get more people to adopt. If you get the user base you can make it up in software eventually.

I haven't heard yet but surely it's going to have big screen mode and TV apps hopefully.

500 for the console plus 500 for this is kind of a tough pill for a lot of folks. Cheaper than PC but still tough.

Good thing that most people buying a PSVR2 this year, would have probably bought a PS5 between 2020 - 2022 then. That way it's not a tough pill to swallow.

sendit

Good thing that most people buying a PSVR2 this year, would have probably bought a PS5 between 2020 - 2022 then. That way it's not a tough pill to swallow.
eh. For me, if the PS5 Pro comes out this year, i'll buy it as well. This is all about getting the best possibily experience on a day 1 release regardless if its VR or traditional console/PC gaming release. Life is too short to wait until tomorrow.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

eh. For me, if the PS5 Pro comes out this year, i'll buy it as well. This is all about getting the best possibily experience on a day 1 release regardless if its VR or traditional console/PC gaming release.

Me too, but most people aren't built like us crazy dudes lol

Crayon

Counting a ps5 in the price makes it an even better deal since you'd have to compare that with rolling up the cost of a pc into a set.

Rudius

Best case scenario is it gets hacked for pc for greater adoption as it would be the best unit PC players could get for the price, by far. It also means sony wouldn’t have to go out of their way to do firmware updates for the hardware for pc and make their VR games pc compatible.

So it stays cheap at 550 and more people buy it
I used my PSVR1 whit the PC. It's limited to 3dof and retains all the cables, but I got a nice experience with racers. A fully working PSVR2 would be perfect.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I feel like this is the VR headset that is finally going to make VR go mainstream. CES was a huge win for Sony. They just need to make sure there are some actual games (or at least ensure that non-VR games have VR modes)

Crayon

I feel like this is the VR headset that is finally going to make VR go mainstream. CES was a huge win for Sony. They just need to make sure there are some actual games (or at least ensure that non-VR games have VR modes)

I don't think so, not quite. It'll be a big step, though. It's price gets it up there to the luxury realm. If Sony can keep good games in the pipe, including some that look more like AAA, there will be a lot of people looking from afar in a couple years and wanting to jump into VR once they can justify the price.

ABnormal

Sadly, for VR to become mainstream, there are still many steps to be accomplished, and the major one is to completely eliminate motion sickness, which discourages a big percentage of gamers to use it, and that prevents developers to unleash the all-free movement that would be possible, at any speed. Valve said that there are already some brain user interfaces that completely eliminate the problem with some sort of signal, but they are not yet registered as usable outside prototypes.
Once motion sickness is gone, any movement, any speed, any interaction will be possible in VR. And that will be a point of no return. Immense virtual worlds will become the playground of countless gamers.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Sadly, for VR to become mainstream, there are still many steps to be accomplished, and the major one is to completely eliminate motion sickness, which discourages a big percentage of gamers to use it, and that prevents developers to unleash the all-free movement that would be possible, at any speed. Valve said that there are already some brain user interfaces that completely eliminate the problem with some sort of signal, but they are not yet registered as usable outside prototypes.
Once motion sickness is gone, any movement, any speed, any interaction will be possible in VR. And that will be a point of no return. Immense virtual worlds will become the playground of countless gamers.

I think we are around 10-15 years from this being a reality.

Zathalus

The important point is that the wire allows for higher fidelity, haptics, no battery worries, and comfort.
Lighter and no battery worries sure, but haptics and fidelity work just fine over wireless. 4k/120Hz can be done with a good Wifi 6 solution, and haptics... well the PS5 controller is wireless is it not? I'd honestly take a heavier headset over a wire any day.

Plus battery concerns are overated, Quest 2 with the elite strap lasts 6 hours.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Lighter and no battery worries sure, but haptics and fidelity work just fine over wireless. 4k/120Hz can be done with a good Wifi 6 solution, and haptics... well the PS5 controller is wireless is it not? I'd honestly take a heavier headset over a wire any day.

Plus battery concerns are overated, Quest 2 with the elite strap lasts 6 hours.
I have a Quest 2. It hardly runs for 2 hours comfortably on a big game. And haptic like PS VR 2 would further reduce its battery life.

And Quest 2 is NOT comfortable. PS VR 1 was way more comfortable than Quest 2.

And what's the point of a VR if it's heavy and uncomfortable? If you have to take it off every 15-20 minutes, there's no point in playing it -- especially when VR (and especially PS VR 2) is all about immersion.

P.S. Not everyone has a good Wifi 6 solution. Even Xbox does not offer Wifi 6; that's how common (or uncommon) it is.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We've been saying all of this on here as well. But oh you know, people need to latch onto that "one thing."
They got "tangled" with the wire.

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office
High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

Zathalus

I have a Quest 2. It hardly runs for 2 hours comfortably on a big game. And haptic like PS VR 2 would further reduce its battery life.

And Quest 2 is NOT comfortable. PS VR 1 was way more comfortable than Quest 2.

And what's the point of a VR if it's heavy and uncomfortable? If you have to take it off every 15-20 minutes, there's no point in playing it -- especially when VR (and especially PS VR 2) is all about immersion.

P.S. Not everyone has a good Wifi 6 solution. Even Xbox does not offer Wifi 6; that's how common (or uncommon) it is.
A Quest 2 with the Elite strap lasts 6 hours when streaming a game from your PC. The Elite strap makes it comfortable enough, much better weight distribution and the strap is better as well. Obviously not to the level of PSVR, but if I had to choose between cable and a heavier headset, I know what I would prefer.

Also, if somebody can afford VR they can easily afford Wifi 6, any decent router supports it.

But I'm sure the PSVR 2 is going to be great, my original argument was against the notion that Quest 2 PC users mostly use the cable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A Quest 2 with the Elite strap lasts 6 hours when streaming a game from your PC. The Elite strap makes it comfortable enough, much better weight distribution and the strap is better as well. Obviously not to the level of PSVR, but if I had to choose between cable and a heavier headset, I know what I would prefer.

Also, if somebody can afford VR they can easily afford Wifi 6, any decent router supports it.

But I'm sure the PSVR 2 is going to be great, my original argument was against the notion that Quest 2 PC users mostly use the cable.
PS5 has WiFi6, so I bet a wireless model will be coming down the line, when the eye tracking tech catches up to streaming latency.

Anyone else think that maybe Half Life Alyx 2 is in development, and perhaps Sony is waiting to announce PSVR2 support for both HL:A1 and HL:A2 when it gets announced this year?

Probably wishful thinking but I can't believe VALVE would abandon doing more VR games in the future.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Anyone else think that maybe Half Life Alyx 2 is in development, and perhaps Sony is waiting to announce PSVR2 support for both HL:A1 and HL:A2 when it gets announced this year?

Probably wishful thinking but I can't believe VALVE would abandon doing more VR games in the future.
Not HL2, but I think HL:A will be announced eventually. Sony has many exclusive games on Steam now, and they got Beat Saber from Meta, which I didn't think would happen tbh. They will get HL:A too.

I think the launch lineup looks fantastic as is, and HL:A would be more fitting for a big Holiday game for PS VR 2.

Not HL2, but I think HL:A will be announced eventually. Sony has many exclusive games on Steam now, and they got Beat Saber from Meta, which I didn't think would happen tbh. They will get HL:A too.

I think the launch lineup looks fantastic as is, and HL:A would be more fitting for a big Holiday game for PS VR 2.

Yeah I agree that I think HL:A is a no brainer. I don't see any reason why Valve wouldnt play nice when Sony now releases so much stuff on Steam. VR is niche enough where there's no real reason to gate HL:A. I mean, the game works with other PC headsets, so its not exactly exclusive. And they already got a big window of exclusivity for a few years anyway. Anyone who wanted it on PC alone already has it pretty much

So the logical conclusion is that HL:A is coming, and it makes sense to have it later in the year to maybe shine it up for PSVR2 exclusive features/hardware and not a bare bones port. They also want to gain momentum for PSVR2 in terms of marketing. So I expect it to be announced at their summer showcase event or PSVR2 event (if or when that happens)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah I agree that I think HL:A is a no brainer. I don't see any reason why Valve wouldnt play nice when Sony now releases so much stuff on Steam. VR is niche enough where there's no real reason to gate HL:A. I mean, the game works with other PC headsets, so its not exactly exclusive. And they already got a big window of exclusivity for a few years anyway. Anyone who wanted it on PC alone already has it pretty much

So the logical conclusion is that HL:A is coming, and it makes sense to have it later in the year to maybe shine it up for PSVR2 exclusive features/hardware and not a bare bones port. They also want to gain momentum for PSVR2 in terms of marketing. So I expect it to be announced at their summer showcase event or PSVR2 event (if or when that happens)
Yep, it'll get a lot of hype on PS VR 2 and may even increase sales on PC as well.

Besides, I think VR is one of those things that companies just people to try and buy into -- no matter how. The more people get hooked to VR, the bigger the market becomes.

Then a rising tide will lift all boats.

Yep, it'll get a lot of hype on PS VR 2 and may even increase sales on PC as well.

Besides, I think VR is one of those things that companies just people to try and buy into -- no matter how. The more people get hooked to VR, the bigger the market becomes.

Then a rising tide will lift all boats.

Yeah, which is why the Beat Saber release on PVSR2 is a nice signal from Meta that they are going to be a lot more open with VR

Meta's stock has createred, and VR development is expensive, so to me it seems like Meta sees it in their best interest to support PSVR2 and get as much cash as they can and doesn't see Sony as a competitor - afterall, Sony's focus is purely on games. I think Meta's focus with VR is that gaming is a HOOK, but the long term market potential for them is more enterprise stuff (workplace features, etc)

Which is awesome because we can now expect Meta to port their exclusives to PSVR2

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, which is why the Beat Saber release on PVSR2 is a nice signal from Meta that they are going to be a lot more open with VR

Meta's stock has createred, and VR development is expensive, so to me it seems like Meta sees it in their best interest to support PSVR2 and get as much cash as they can and doesn't see Sony as a competitor - afterall, Sony's focus is purely on games. I think Meta's focus with VR is that gaming is a HOOK, but the long term market potential for them is more enterprise stuff (workplace features, etc)

Which is awesome because we can now expect Meta to port their exclusives to PSVR2
Yep, and that's why I also have hope for Iron Man's PS VR 2 port from Meta -- one of my favorite PS VR games, and I'm still pissed that Meta acquired Camoflaj. 😞

Yep, and that's why I also have hope for Iron Man's PS VR 2 port from Meta -- one of my favorite PS VR games, and I'm still pissed that Meta acquired Camoflaj. 😞

I missed out on so many good PSVR1 games because I got so frustrated with the set-up, lack of HDR pass through, and fuzzy graphic quality of the headset

It's kinda funny but PSVR2 has me much more hyped than anything in gaming right now. Everything about it seems like an easy plug and play platform rather than a janky prototype like PSVR1.....so I expect to get a ton more use out of it. Already have games I missed out in bought for PSVR2 (Saints and Sinners and Moss 1 and 2).

I'd love to add Iron Man to the list

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The problem with tech-show reviews is that they're just looking at the specs, more or less. The biggest factors--like support for PC games rather than the tiny walled garden we'll get on the PS Store--are not going to be factored in.

ABnormal

I think we are around 10-15 years from this being a reality.
It could be. I hope that I will still have good eyesight and all, for the time we will get there. At that time, tech will also be so small in size to require just a pair of goggles with audio (there's already something like that from Panasonic, with impressive specs).

mckmas8808

It could be. I hope that I will still have good eyesight and all, for the time we will get there. At that time, tech will also be so small in size to require just a pair of goggles with audio (there's already something like that from Panasonic, with impressive specs).

Yeah once VR looks like this and cost less than $200, it'll be super mainstream.

panasonic_meganex_ces_2022_1.jpg

Top Bottom