• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Members in Asia Irate As Sony Wipes Discounts on Tier Upgrades, Demands Upfront Fee for Stacked Subs [UP: Sony fixes error]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Keihart

Sony has been acting really petty about anything money related the whole generation, makes you wonder.
I have no good faith left towards the company despite that some of my favorite games are PS franchises.
The coolest shit they've done this whole generation in my eyes is honoring the PS classics store purchases, but even then, it's like a wet fart with a really small selection of actual classics.

It is what it is, i hope they back pedal at least a little.

MrTentakel

It´s the worst web shop I know and I just assume they f*cked up the upgrade because the discounted PsPlus has propably a different item id than the normal one.

-> So I expect not malice but stupidity.

Feels better, right?
Right?!?

LucasBR

Playing devil's advocate here, what I imagine actually happened is likely much less sinister and this is probably the result of an uncaught code error. So in the backend, what I imagine they do is to pro-rata your existing subscription by taking value / total_days * days_left and subtract that from the upgrade fee. What probably happened there is that whoever wrote the code used some piece of data attached to the membership to get the price paid for the sub, rather than using the live store price. I could be totally wrong, but this decision seems so bizarrely bad that I'd feel it's more likely the result of an edge case in the backend handling of upgrades than an intentional decision.

I hope they fix it soon or if it does turn out to be intentional, they should get off their crack pipe and reverse it.

I really hope that's the case

ParaSeoul

Playing devil's advocate here, what I imagine actually happened is likely much less sinister and this is probably the result of an uncaught code error. So in the backend, what I imagine they do is to pro-rata your existing subscription by taking value / total_days * days_left and subtract that from the upgrade fee. What probably happened there is that whoever wrote the code used some piece of data attached to the membership to get the price paid for the sub, rather than using the live store price. I could be totally wrong, but this decision seems so bizarrely bad that I'd feel it's more likely the result of an edge case in the backend handling of upgrades than an intentional decision.

I hope they fix it soon or if it does turn out to be intentional, they should get off their crack pipe and reverse it.
They honor the purchases you made on PS3 for the PS1 games so I'm guessing this is it.

//DEVIL//

If this is true, and you find me rarely saying this :

Fuck Sony
Fuck Jim Ryan

I could see this becoming a shitstorm and Sony 180°ing on this. Exactly the greedy shit we don't want to see.
Lol. I have been saying this for a while now. Between all this woke shit and greedy they have become,I swore I'll never buy a playstation shit ever again unless it's dirt cheap on PC. They are not getting money from me to play online crap. This model needs to change .

Punished Miku

Gold Member
6hb9vk.jpg
6hba2r.jpg

I'll take Incompetence for $200, Alex.
But honestly, even if they just come out and say it was a mistake - we just have to take it on trust that it is. Maybe they wanted to push for this and see if they get called on it? I don't know why people give them the benefit of the doubt. We just went through this a month ago with the PS+ stacking being silently cancelled, and everyone said it was a mistake. We went through this with the $10 PS5 Horizon upgrade and everyone claimed it was a mistake until they reversed it.

I don't think it's a mistake. They literally just said that they're making the price conversion for subs a month ago. And if people didn't get angry at this, do you think they would correct it? No. That means it's not counted as a mistake.

What have they done on this front that was a mistake? It's all been the official policy.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It's a new service, new contract. It's the disbenefit to stacking/prepping. In the words of Nathan Hale "I only regret that I have but one salary to give to Sony."

Reel It In Jay Buhner GIF by Northwest Motorsport

MayauMiao

Wish I could, all my buddies are on playstation, and we play online every day.
At least you got reason to stick around. I was there for the discounts and free PS+ games but in the long run it turns out even discounted price its no match for the value I get on Steam.

Mattyp

Gold Member
6hb9vk.jpg
6hba2r.jpg

I'll take Incompetence for $200, Alex.

There’s now recorded audio on bilibili with the HongKong help desks confirming this is the deal and to pay the difference. But I’ll take the $200 and roll the dice on a rollback of this policy in the next 24 hours in double or nothing.

People are actually posting screenshots of stacked until 2032 and the massive differences, fuck me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Been reading about this all morning. Completely indefensible.

So if you bought PS+ on an official Sony sale on their own store at a discount they offered, they are now asking for the money back lol. Yes, you read that right. If they did an end of year 33% off PS+ sale and you bought 4 years of PS+, they now want 33% x4 + the cost to upgrade to Essential / Premium, and you have to pay all of it at once for the entire duration of whatever you stacked. It's like buying the Last of Us 2 on sale for $20, and then if they put out a $10 next gen upgrade, they ask for the $40 back on top of that.

And yes, it's real. Some people stupidly bought PS+ on sale for 10 years or some shit. And now they can't even upgrade at all unless they pay back all those sale price differences x10.
Not really surprised. Jim Ryan is a used car salesman if I ever saw one. I am surprised this man still has a defense force here.

Topher

Gold Member
There’s now recorded audio on bilibili with the HongKong help desks confirming this is the deal and to pay the difference. But I’ll take the $200 and roll the dice on a rollback of this policy in the next 24 hours in double or nothing.

People are actually posting screenshots of stacked until 2032 and the massive differences, fuck me.

Frustrated Gecko GIF

Part of being a *true* PlayStation fan is calling them out whenever they do wrong and oh boy, Sony is on some next level bullshit with this one, defies belief. Make noise and they will backpedal, should have never happened in the first place, wow.

PVMIwFX.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member

Who the fuck stacks subs until 2032, jesus h. christ.

Calverz

Sony need this money to fund the bungie acquisition as they realised they had overpaid. Who better to pay than those most loyal?

So this is for just the upgrade prices after the conversion happens?

So if I have ps+ and ps now that will convert to ps premium when it comes, this changes nothing for someone like me?

Three

I hope so. Would make the few years of PSNow I went and bought a complete waste of time. Mine would be an interesting almost impossible case to calculate if this isn't a bug. I bought the codes heavily discounted by a third-party, how much did the codes originally sell for when purchased from Sony?
Makes no difference for you if you stacked PS Now. This is for those who have stacked PS+ with no other membership. Been converted to PS Essential then wanting to upgrade to PS Extra or Premium.

DaGwaphics

Makes no difference for you if you stacked PS Now. This is for those who have stacked PS+ with no other membership. Been converted to PS Essential then wanting to upgrade to PS Extra or Premium.

I know. I was just using myself as a standin for a buyer that had stacked 3 or 4 years of plus via CDkeys or similar.

Neofire

Normally I would be like wtf but alot of those people knew this PSN revamp was coming and tries to pull a fast one. For the legitimate people who stacked their subscription I feel for em but the circumventors I could care less because now the honest people they are being penalized for this.

As a society people have turned into trying to get over on people no matter what and then expect the ones they trying to get over on to go along with it lol.

Jerm411

So I have PS + currently until XMas day this year…I haven’t stacked or added anything to it…

I have 2 PS Plus 1 year cards that I’m waiting to add in…

I’m assuming I’ll have to pay the difference at launch to upgrade to Extra for the 6ish months I’ll have left on my current sub (wonder what the cost will be) and then once I do that, I can add the 2 years of Plus I have and it’ll auto convert both of those to Extra…? Or will have to pay to upgrade both of those years as well?

I know it’ll convert it to 400 something days of Extra but I’m ok with that for now…do I have this all right?

Confusing lol.

Umbasaborne

Banned
4 the payers. But i guess i get it, they spend a lot of money on their first party titles and dont want to devalue them. The only reason microsoft is so lenient with cheap gamepass subs is because they are one of the richest companies on the planet

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Normally I would be like wtf but alot of those people knew this PSN revamp was coming and tries to pull a fast one. For the legitimate people who stacked their subscription I feel for em but the circumventors I could care less because now the honest people they are being penalized for this.

As a society people have turned into trying to get over on people no matter what and then expect the ones they trying to get over on to go along with it lol.
Buying PS+ directly from Sony on their own sale = "trying to pull a fast one."

Last edited:
Wait.......so about 2 years I bought a bunch of ps+ subs at a discount from CDKeys that staked till 2028.
Back in Dec 2021, I subed to 1 year of PS Now.

How does this affect me???????

Swift_Star

Banned

Why anyone would be so dumb to do this is beyond me.

yurinka

Sony said there would be an option to upgrade to higher tiers paying the proportional difference of your remaining time and seems this is what they are doing. I don't see the issue.

If they had many years stacked to migrate may be expensive, but it would be more expensive to get all these years of Premium without doing the migration. Nobody is forcing them to migrate.

Wait.......so about 2 years I bought a bunch of ps+ subs at a discount from CDKeys that staked till 2028.
Back in Dec 2021, I subed to 1 year of PS Now.

How does this affect me???????
It doesn't affect you. At the moment it releases in your region you'll have Now so will be migrated to PS+ Premium. Since you'll have both Plus and Now active at the moment of the release, the expiration date of your PS+ Premium will be the longest one of the two: 2028. You won't have to pay anything, you'll have PS+ Premium until 2028.

This supposed 'issue' affects the ones who only had PS Plus active so they get migrated to PS+ Essential when the new service got released in their region. Sony allows them to migrate to a higher tier the remaining PS+ Essential days by paying their proportional difference of what they paid vs the price of the higher tier they want to migrate instead of asking them to pay the full fee.

According to them (their math maybe is wrong to calculate the difference depending on how days and months are calculated, if using monthly/3monts/one year to count isolated days) Sony is charging them the difference of what they paid vs the price of the tier where they want to migrate. Which for their case, who got PS+ discounted probably on a cd key store, is more money than calculating the difference of current Essential tier pricing vs the tier they want to migrate to.

Last edited:

Markio128

Minnesota United Soccer GIF by Univision Deportes

As others have said, hopefully it’s an oversight - if not, then, well, I don’t know what to say. Just because I’m not interested in subs, doesn’t mean I think this isn’t a shitty move.

Ellery

Lol. I have been saying this for a while now. Between all this woke shit and greedy they have become,I swore I'll never buy a playstation shit ever again unless it's dirt cheap on PC. They are not getting money from me to play online crap. This model needs to change .

I wouldn't go as far as that, but I am, in all honesty, a tiny bit concerned that we are indeed moving in the "arrogant Sony" direction again we all were memeing about for the past months and years after Jim Ryan took over.

Doesn't mean I completely disregard the good things and games they are doing, but so far in terms of money and greed Sony has definitely put on more bad moves than good moves for the customers lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom