• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protein powders may be damaging your health (Fox News)

istock-692310474.jpg

70 percent of powders tested had detectable levels of lead, 74 percent had cadmium and 55 percent had BPA, the chemical formula found in many plastics.

The various toxins have been linked to cancer, brain damage and reproductive problems, according to watchdog website Consumer Reports.

Researchers found that plant proteins, such as hemp or soy, contained more lead and other contaminants than powders made from whey or egg. That’s likely because the plants making up the powders absorb heavy metals from soil.

I mean I can ditch the powders and go all natural with meat and milk but that 24 grams per scoop is prettttay convenient..

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I used to get it all from food when I was younger, but that gets tiring.I was eating constantly just to keep a base level.
Don't know about that. Meat is yummy, I have been getting my protein from regular food ever since starting strength training 15 years ago and I see no issues with that.

Last edited:
I drink some plant based protein "meal replacement" thingy in the mornings, I prefer it to eating an actual breakfast.
It's quick and easy, though it isn't nearly as protein dense as the powders, i think it has 15-20 grams per serving. It's got 10 grams of fiber which an old codger like me appreciates!

G-Bus

Banned
I had no idea.... Been using protein powder on and off for years.

Guess I'll just have to find something else that's high in calories and protein.

What's semen taste like?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If Fox 'news' said the earth was round, I'd immediately become a flat earther
Well said.

I've been drinking 3-4 protein shakes a day for years. Clean skin, no issues with digestion, never sick... Think I'll be juuuuust fine. But on the other hand, I like living on the edge. :messenger_sunglasses:

What a bunch of retards. There is no way a protein shake is more damaging to your health then the other processed food you can find in the supermarket.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well said.

I've been drinking 3-4 protein shakes a day for years. Clean skin, no issues with digestion, never sick... Think I'll be juuuuust fine. But on the other hand, I like living on the edge. :messenger_sunglasses:

What a bunch of retards. There is no way a protein shake is more damaging to your health then the other processed food you can find in the supermarket.

The issue is the heavy metals. The way most food is processed doesn't result in heavy metal contamination, but it does with the production of protein powders.

danielberg

Neophyte
i am officially on suicide watch after reading this thread

guess i'm going all meat
peanut butter, oats, milk, fruits shake... tadaa.. if anything western diat for body building even bulking is way too focused on protein/uses way more than what is needed which just ends up as fat.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
that's an absurd amount of protein / meal, how long does it take you to eat each meal?
Breakfast takes 10 minutes (500g of Quark an three slices of crispbread. Dinner takes 30-40 minutes (800g of low-fat meat, potentially sauce / vegetables / pasta / whatever, depending on the specific meal) to eat.

I FOUND SOMETHING INTERESTING PERTAINING TO:

OPTIMUM NUTRITION PROTEIN POWDER

On the second and third page you can see a chart comparing the lead and arsenic content in common food items versus 1 scoop of their protein powder.

For example, 1 scoop of 100% whey gold standard chocolate protein has 0.8 mcg of arsenic VERSUS 8 ounces of chicken breast, which has 2.8 mcg of arsenic.

One scoop of their protein has the same amount of lead found in 2 slices of whole wheat bread.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The issue is the heavy metals. The way most food is processed doesn't result in heavy metal contamination, but it does with the production of protein powders.
I can only echo what I have already said. I doubt that (if true) the amount of heavy metals is any more damaging to you than most of the ingredients of your average processed snack.

peanut butter, oats, milk, fruits shake... tadaa.. if anything western diat for body building even bulking is way too focused on protein/uses way more than what is needed which just ends up as fat.
Protein isn't stored in your body buddy...

Last edited:
I suggest eggs for protein and buy locally if possible or raise your own.
Otherwise you may want to have a look at this chart to help find the healthiest eggs.
EGG-GRAPHIC-TEST-02-03-01.jpg

Almost all bodybuilders eat many eggs everyday and most of them don't even touch protein powers unless they can't get to food quickly after a workout, Real food is king in building muscle and eggs are the king of the foods for it. Eggs contain over 40 different types of protein so if your body has trouble with some forms but works great with others then it probably has just what your looking for.

Boiled or poached is the healthiest way to eat them because you don't have any added grease or oil this way.

My favorite way to eat them is scrambled though with a little sunflower seed oil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, chili pepper, garlic powder. Sometimes I add ketchup to it too after cooking.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I’ve never been trying to gain size so never took supplements beyond a multivitamin. But yeah, any kind of powdered stuff I avoid.

Agreed most people will just get fat if they try to add in extra protein. More likely they need to try to increase their natural testosterone levels and natural human growth hormone levels. Also taking B12 supplements helps too and you don't even need to inject it anymore you can get tabs or tablets they seem to work just as good.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Breakfast takes 10 minutes (500g of Quark an three slices of crispbread. Dinner takes 30-40 minutes (800g of low-fat meat, potentially sauce / vegetables / pasta / whatever, depending on the specific meal) to eat.
You eat 800 grams of meat in one meal? How much do you weigh?

You don't need 160 g of protein. It's bro science. You're fine with 1g per kg.

I suggest eggs for protein and buy locally if possible or raise your own.
Otherwise you may want to have a look at this chart to help find the healthiest eggs.

Almost all bodybuilders eat many eggs everyday and most of them don't even touch protein powers unless they can't get to food quickly after a workout, Real food is king in building muscle and eggs are the king of the foods for it. Eggs contain over 40 different types of protein so if your body has trouble with some forms but works great with others then it probably has just what your looking for.

Boiled or poached is the healthiest way to eat them because you don't have any added grease or oil this way.

My favorite way to eat them is scrambled though with a little sunflower seed oil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, chili pepper, garlic powder. Sometimes I add ketchup to it too after cooking.

My gut tells me there's a lot of truth to these posts.

Yeup. I'm ditching the powder.

From now on it's regular consumption of traditional protein sources and plenty of fruits and veg.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Well said.

Damn. Already has brain damage. I'll pray for you it doesn't get any worse.

I've never heard of quark before so thank you for bringing it up. It seems to be some pretty good stuff to put on bread.

Top Bottom