• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus 2 unlikely to contain xenomorphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
That line delivery of "Father" *shudders*

tumblr_mzr2264RXZ1qfgsi8o1_500.gif

The engineers looked silly without the helmet/mask.

waaaat?

I loved the Engineers even though they kinda looked like Trent Reznor

Ridley Scott really doesn't know what he's doing. I fear dementia has finally began setting in.

RS was never really good at story telling though. Like his late brother he was all about the visuals. People seem not to realize this because he's so good at it. He relies heavily on other people for the stories, scripts, and that's why you end up with inconsistencies with him.

I liked this movie (even if some of the performances were odd/did not need monster fighting). I obviously would have done it differently at a number of spots though.

I specifically liked the build up to them finding the engineers. Also, the scene with fassbender's head on the floor as the old dude bites the dust.

They have to establish how the deacon gets off that planet though.

I'm not buying it. They might not call them Xenos, but the deacon will at least have to appear in some capacity.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If being chased by big semi circle ship - run forward.

That is what I hope will be no more in the sequel.
Lol spot on.

Also, the whole movie got spoiled by the teasers and trailers.
Pretty nuts that it happened to a such long waited movie.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I would think that P2 would be completely pointless if the movie doesn't contain aliens. What was the point of doing the teaser at the end of P1 if we aren't going to see a tie-in to the alien characters?

After countless re-watches of P1, my wife still doesn't understand 90% of the movie, and the fact that I've had to go online to search out explanations of things leads me to believe that the explaining in the movie wasn't done very well. I still find the movie very entertaining but it did a poor job of explaining things, left a little too much up to the imagination and vagueness.

The part where the captain of the ship says, "this is a military installation, and that it's a weapon"...that basically summed up the entire movie for me in that one line. I just wish there was more explanation of it.

Sephzilla

If anything Prometheus 2 should pretend the first movie didn't exist and give us a better Xenomorph origin. I really want to like Prometheus but man, that was one of the most disappointing recent movie experiences I've had.

andycapps

If anything Prometheus 2 should pretend the first movie didn't exist and give us a better Xenomorph origin. I really want to like Prometheus but man, that was one of the most disappointing recent movie experiences I've had.

Wasn't really anything in Prometheus regarding a Xenomorph origin. The Engineers clearly knew about the Xenomorphs and maybe worshipped them, you remember the murals in that one room in Prometheus. That thing you see at the end was presumably stuck on the planet, which is a different one than Alien. Sure, there could be other ships and it could somehow learn to fly them in this crazy universe.

I don't think Prometheus was meant to address anything in the Aliens trilogy, really. If anything, it just brings up more questions. Which is what frustrates many fans of the Alien/s series, IMO. I've cooled on the movie over time, I didn't hate Prometheus as much as some when it came out, but I definitely didn't love it. When he says these sorts of things, it doesn't make me more excited. If anything it makes me much less interested.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wasn't really anything in Prometheus regarding a Xenomorph origin. The Engineers clearly knew about the Xenomorphs and maybe worshipped them, you remember the murals in that one room in Prometheus. That thing you see at the end was presumably stuck on the planet, which is a different one than Alien. Sure, there could be other ships and it could somehow learn to fly them in this crazy universe.

Even if you don't think Prometheus was supposed to be an explanation, it was still a hatchet job. All they really had to do was have a scene where they stumbled into a room in the ship like in alien, filled with the eggs, but decide to leave it alone. That's all it needed, a little easter egg like that.

ElTopo

Banned
Wait... they're making a sequel to this? Whyyyyy...

They have to at this point.

I haven't read every single post in this thread but as a diehard Alien/Predator fan here's my thoughts:

A sequel has to happen because of one of the two big problems of Prometheus and those are:

1: underwritten/dumb characters (aside from David). Pretty much every character except maybe Shaw was painfully underwritten and made incredibly dumb/slasher-movie-style choices. The Alien Cobra scene sums it up nicely.

2: Not answering questions that were set up. Such as why did the Engineers create us, why did they want to destroy us, what was the black goo for, what was up with the giant stone head, how exactly did they create the Alien and why, and you can't say that "It's the result of someone infected with black goo impregnating someone and then that creates an Alien." because the Trilobyte was a prototype of the Alien and the mural in the black goo room clearly shows an Alien Queen and a normal sized facehugger impregnating a humanoid.

Apologies for run-on sentence.

I don't agree with Scott that the Alien is no longer scary. Overused at this point sure, but it can still be scary if used right. Because of that fact that Alien can look differently depending on the host we can get some variety out of it. And we still don't know certain things about the creature. We still don't know what happens inside a hive without a queen. There's still the element of why they exist, which has yet to be adequately answered.

Honestly, I'd like to see someone else direct it. I know it's not entirely on Scott but a lot of the bad choices were approved by him and he shares some of the blame. I'd like to see someone passionate and has a fresh approach to the franchise.

FoneBone

I'm skeptical that this is actually going to happen. Scott seems to have other priorities - at this point, we're probably talking about a 2017 release at the earliest, and is there really demand for a sequel five years later?

andycapps

Even if you don't think Prometheus was supposed to be an explanation, it was still a hatchet job. All they really had to do was have a scene where they stumbled into a room in the ship like in alien, filled with the eggs, but decide to leave it alone. That's all it needed, a little easter egg like that.

It was definitely a hatchet job, and I think it may have started the process with being a prologue to Alien. But at some point it was decided it wasn't just going to be one movie, it would be multiple movies. One would think that if Ridley lives and they keep letting him make these things that eventually you'll see what leads up to Alien.

inm8num2

That can't be real.

[googles]

Jesus.

Shaw ROLLS ACROSS THE FLOOR as the entire room CANTS -- JESUS
-- WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!? -- IS IT ANOTHER
EARTHQUAKE?!? -- WHAM!!!! NOW, A BENDING OF METAL -- ALARMS
GO OFF --​

[...]

A TORNADO OF VICIOUS WHIRLING LIMBS -- AN ORGANISM WITH ONE
PURPOSE ONLY AS IT --
ATTACKS THE ENGINEER!
It DROPS SHAW -- She hits the ground -- STILL HOLDING HER
BREATH -- JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY --

The guy sure like to use JESUS a whole lot in his stage directions.

These are actual excerpts? LOL.

Kinyou

These are actual excerpts? LOL.
The sex scene:

And seeing his opening, Holloway leans forward and KISSES
her. It’s tender at first. Gentle.
But all of that residual ANGER has to go somewhere... and
soon it becomes PASSIONATE. Borderline VIOLENT as they PULL
EACH OTHER’S CLOTHES OFF -- Goddamn, it is HOT. And just
before it gets TOO hot, we CUT TO:
"Goddamn it is HOT!"

Absolutely not.
There is quite a range of styles when writing scripts, and while I haven't read many script, of those that I did, this is abnormally awful.

It's not abnormally awful. there are quite a few screenwriters who punch up their directions like that. Shane Black used to drop metatextual one-liners in his directions, making industry in-jokes as asides, for example.

Others just make shit as dry as humanly possible.

Screenplays are typically BORING AS SHIT to read. Even the good ones. They almost have to be, as a large amount of what makes a movie special cannot go in them, and a screenwriter can't put that shit in there even if they wanted to, for fear of looking like they're trying to direct the movie (and the actors) from the page.

Lindelof - he throws that bullshit in there not just because its obnoxious and eye-catching, but because it appeals to the people reading. When he says "GODDAMN IT IS HOT" he's suggesting you, the person about to make this movie you're reading, know how to make that hot as hell, and you're really fucking good at it.

A script is a person trying to make money by selling someone WITH money on a story. It's not really for public consumption. The audience being written to is not you or me. It's someone who spends all day reading bullshit-ass screenplays.

It's also why when people complain about a movie's "Script" it usually doesn't mean shit, because most people don't know what the script actually looks like, how it read, what was in it, or what got changed.

I want to know what the eff Shaw is supposed to do on the Engineer homeworld. Get brutally murdered in a second?

I expect a mostly dead and desolate planet. It would be tonally jarring for the franchise to present a bustling, populous alien world.

In other words the Engineers are probably extinct or nearly so.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
God damn. I was going to make a comment about not wanting the most iconic monster design in film history alongside the most uninspired design in film history with the Engineers (what if he was, like, a guy...but really big?), but not I need to go in a corner and laugh for the next six hours after reading those script excerpts.

Mlatador

Banned
I'm fine with that. I still hope the film will manage to show us the final connection to the first Alien movie.

By the way, all those snarky comments about how bad prometheus is get a bit annoying and are completely overblown, especially when they are just one liners not explaining why. I know there are some "hollywood moments", where certain characters act a bit stupid, but the rest of the move is damn great and athmospheric and definitely shares the same DNA as the first Alien movie.

Sephzilla

I'm fine with that. I still hope the film will manage to show us the final connection to the first Alien movie.

By the way, all those snarky comments about how bad prometheus is get a bit annoying and are completely overblown, especially when they are just one liners not explaining why. I know there are some "hollywood moments", where certain characters act a bit stupid, but the rest of the move is damn great and athmospheric and definitely shares the same DNA as the first Alien movie.

This is unfortunately a lot of the movie though, in my opinion. The script is just riddled with really questionable righting and characters.

Final scene Shaw reaches the Engineer's King chambers, he grants her one answer and one answer only. She asks about the origins of human kind and their role on it.
King Engineer stands up, slowly approaches Shaw and then chokes her to death.

Credits roll.

PROMETHEUS 2 thanks for watching.

kewlmyc

I'm honestly surprised they're making one considering the reception of the first. But it made it's money and then some so whatever (I even bought a copy back when I thought the movie was good).

If Scott (and the writers) actually have the balls to revolve the entirety of Prometheus 2 around just two human performers (Noomi & Fassbender), I'll be shocked.

I expect some other Weyland 'rescue' crew filled with people to kill off to somehow intercept their craft and follow it to the Engineers homeworld or some-such shit.

Mlatador

Banned
This is unfortunately a lot of the movie though, in my opinion. The script is just riddled with really questionable righting and characters.

No, I think it is just selective perception. There are certain people who cannot get over 2 or 3 scenes out of hundreds in a movie and only keep on going about how bad those are and ultimately how bad the whole film is. Then there are the people who didn't see the Alien movies and don't see the connections or hints. Then there are the people who don't think much about the movie or just simply didn't understand many scenes (like the sacrifice scene in the beginning) or what the black go is supposed to be and yell "plothole, doesn't make sense" etc.

Sephzilla

No, I think it is just selective perception. There are certain people who cannot get over 2 or 3 scene out of hundreds in a movie and only keep on going about how bad those are and ultimately how bad the whole film are. Then there are the people who didn't see the Alien movies and don't see the connections or hints. Then there are the people who don't think much about the movie or just simply didn't understand many scenes (like the sacrifice scene in the beginning) or what the black go is supposed to be and yell "plothole, doesn't make sense" etc.

I've seen all of the other Alien movies though, and I still think Prometheus is crap. It's not selective perception for me. I came into Prometheus really wanting to like it and the movie just wouldn't let me. It's a very pretty movie that doesn't have much actual substance below it and the characters rarely act like intelligent human beings. A bunch of those call backs/connections to the original Alien feel like shallow "hey, do you remember this?" level connections in my opinion.

Prometheus, when it has its good moments, is legitimately good. But the problem is that when it gets bad, it gets really bad.

Mlatador

Banned
I've seen all of the other Alien movies though, and I still think Prometheus is crap. It's not selective perception for me. I came into Prometheus really wanting to like it and the movie just wouldn't let me. It's a very pretty movie that doesn't have much actual substance below it and the characters rarely act like intelligent human beings. A bunch of those call backs/connections to the original Alien feel like shallow "hey, do you remember this?" level connections in my opinion.

Can you name some examples, except the worm-petting scene or the running straight scene?

I've seen all of the other Alien movies though, and I still think Prometheus is crap.

For context, I believe Mlatador's top 3 sci-fi movies of all time are Alien, then 2001, and then Prometheus.

He's very experienced at making arguments about why you interpreted Prometheus wrongly.

Sephzilla

Can you name some examples, except the worm-petting scene or the running straight scene?

The next biggest thing I can think of are scientists freaking out about finding an alien body on an alien world and seemingly losing their shit over it. It's like, really, what did you expect to find there? I'm sure I could list some more examples if the movie was fresher in my memory. It's been a while since I've watched it.

The worm petting and running straight scenes shouldn't be discarded though simply because they're so commonly referenced. They're just the most obvious examples of stupid writing.

Mlatador

Banned
The next biggest thing I can think of are scientists freaking out about finding an alien body on an alien world and seemingly losing their shit over it. It's like, really, what did you expect to find there? I'm sure I could list some more examples if the movie was fresher in my memory. It's been a while since I've watched it.

The worm petting and running straight scenes shouldn't be discarded though simply because they're so commonly referenced. They're just the most obvious examples of stupid writing.

Yeah, because that's completely unsensical behaviour to get scared of something you've never seen before, let alone a real alien, right?

Seems strange they'd go the trouble of introducing the deacon at the end of the first movie only to completely ignore its existence and as much as they protest that it's not a prequel to Alien, it clearly is, they should just embrace this and try to tie the events of P2 or P3 (dread the thought of a third Prometheus movie) to Alien.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, because that's completely unsensical behaviour to get scared of something you've never seen before, let alone a real alien, right?

Why ask for examples if you're just going to handwave everything? You don't care that it was a godawful movie with terrible characters that had nonsensical motivation for their actions. We get it.

Mlatador

Banned
Why ask for examples if you're just going to handwave everything? You don't care that it was a godawful movie with terrible characters that had nonsensical motivation for their actions. We get it.

No, I'm just trying to have a discussion. This is my opinion about this particular case. It's the first someone brought up, so how is this "handwaving everything". I've already aknowledged that there are maybe 2 or 3 stupid scenes in the movie, but is a multitude of really great scenes in there that completely make up for it. David alone has many for example.

I suggest if we want to have a discussion, we should name examples and then discuss them.

Seems strange they'd go the trouble of introducing the deacon at the end of the first movie only to completely ignore its existence and as much as they protest that it's not a prequel to Alien, it clearly is, they should just embrace this and try to tie the events of P2 or P3 (dread the thought of a third Prometheus movie) to Alien.

I agree, that's what I am looking forward to in Prometheus 2.

My speculation: The deacon is in fact the very first alien queen. It will feed on the corpses that have been left on the planet (lots of people died) and then evolve (like an Alien would do) into a proto-alien queen. It will then lay the first facehugger eggs. All the events on the planet won't go unnoticed by other Engineers, after all this is one of their most hidden bases where they store highly dangerous stuff (the black goo), so they will definietly have noticed, at the very least when one of their ships crashed. Then, once the other Enginees have landed on the planet, they find the very first alien eggs. Maybe even the queen, but that could also have died, doesn't matter. They store the eggs in on of their cargo ships (the same type they lost), in a special quarantine champer. This could then very well be the same chamber that is shown in Alien 1 (the one that is sealed with a barrire of light or something). One they stored everything, they take off of the planet and well... some shit goes down on board (maybe one egg still hatched) and one of their ships crashes onto LV426 (the planet from Alien 1).

Engineers are so boring tho.
I was hoping for the weird elephant alien.

alien-prequel-space-jockey4.jpg

But nope, it was just a suit.

Yep. Prometheus was a pretty big disappointment all around but the engineer was probably the biggest one. They took a pretty cool and mysterious design from the original Alien and turned it to some giant, pasty, bald dude.

Sephzilla

Specialized scientists traveling to an alien planet to find the exact thing they were prepared to find freak out upon finding the thing they expected to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom