• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probably Game over for the Atari Box aka Atari VCS!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Including a massive 32gb of storage, they are asking $399 US DOLLARS! Are they smoking Crack? The Shield TV is a much better option and much cheaper. I can almost guarantee it is Dead on Arrival. You can get a ps4 pro or an xbox one X for that price if you look around. Insane!

https://twinfinite.net/2020/07/atari-800-vcs-console-gets-a-release-date-costs-399/

cocaines-a-hell-of-a-drug.jpg

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
OP, you can't tell the difference between RAM and storage? It's 8gb of RAM, 32gb storage. Still small though lol.

Full specs:
  • Dimensions: 11.6” x 5.9” x 1.9” (Approx.)
  • Weight: 3lbs. (Approx.)
  • Materials: Plastic, Metal, Wood
  • Operating System: Atari Custom Linux OS (Linux Kernel)
  • APU: AMD Raven Ridge 2
  • GPU: Ryzen
  • Storage: 32GB eMMC internal, unlimited external USB HD/stick, cloud (subscription required)
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 RAM (upgradable)
  • Compatible Systems: Linux, Windows, Steam OS, Chrome OS
  • Power: Low TDP architecture – Less Heat & Noise
  • Wireless Connections: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4/5GHz, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Wired Connections: HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 4x USB 3.1
  • USB Ports: 2x front, 2x rear
  • External Inputs: Classic Joystick, Modern Controller, Microphone, Others TBD
  • Mouse & Keyboard Support: Yes, USB or Bluetooth
  • 4K Video w/ HDCP 2.2 Integration: Yes
  • Internet Connection Required: Not for classic gaming but required to access all features

It's been Gave Over for this thing since the first Kickstarter update post-funding.

I know PolyMega had some problems of its own but at least it's serving a market niche and hasn't had anywhere near the campaign fuckery of this new Atari system. Same goes for the Amico, which AFAIK hasn't been marred in any controversy at all.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn 8GB ram?

My surface pro5 was like 1200dollar and had 8GB ram.

Sounds like a steal to me!

Ovek

7Member7
For the specs I think the price is ok to be honest, and when the services for it get switched off after a couple of months after launch it won't be a dead brick because you can still use it as a small form factor pc.

Vandole

I'm kind of getting a feeling that the whole thing is gone over so poorly that now someone is intentionally trying to kill it so they can write-off everything as a failure and maybe still come out with money in their pockets.

wipeout364

The main thing is it has expandable storage so really 32 GB is probably fine. Problem is it will need some killer games to justify the price which it won’t have. It’s too bad I would like to get one.

Pfhunkie

Can the Atari brand just die and stay dead so we can respect it as the historical entity that it is instead of seeing its corpse used for scams?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried to play some games of the Atari Vault and sadly there isnt much to respect.
That’s all there was at the time. It’s like not having a touch screen on your smart phone. It’s probably as hard to appreciate Atari as it is appreciating cell phones before the iPhone. Atari just didn’t adapt to a market it was once on top of. They tried taking control over the cartridge market and they failed at forming very important partnerships. About the time they tried to come back, the market already had Nintendo and Sega dominating left and right.

nkarafo

The Atari name/brand isn't that strong guys. You can't sell garbage anymore. Heck, you couldn't sell garbage in the 90's even.

Ozzie666

They are doing the bare minimum for this supposed console box. Also doing everything to make sure they don't have to manufacture more then 20 of them. All probably to swindle all the cash raised for the project. Atari deserves better than this.

The Alien

Banned
Including a massive 32gb of storage, they are asking $399 US DOLLARS! Are they smoking Crack? The Shield TV is a much better option and much cheaper. I can almost guarantee it is Dead on Arrival. You can get a ps4 pro or an xbox one X for that price if you look around. Insane!

https://twinfinite.net/2020/07/atari-800-vcs-console-gets-a-release-date-costs-399/

cocaines-a-hell-of-a-drug.jpg
You can get a One X at this point for $300.
Rumors for PS5 and Series X are either $400 or $500.

Sorry. Not paying anything even close to that to play Asteroids. Bwahahaha.

Top Bottom