• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

Labolas

My thoughts on a new Predator movie:
its-alll-so-tiresome-tired.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Early thoughts:

Make sure you watch this from a device in which you're sure supports full 4K, HDR, BT2020, and Dolby Digital for the Hulu app, and have at least a good sound bar that supports DTS V or some other spatial audio. Pro tip: the PlayStation 5 does not, the Xbox Series X and Apple 4K TV do.

The shooting of the film is gorgeous at times. Colors really pop. The effects for the predator are so well done. The sounds at times are so reminiscent of the first Predator.

Despite any criticisms of her prior work, apparently most would say they were valid, Midthunder can act. She is great in this.

Full thoughts later. The best Predator movie since the first. In fact I could see younger audiences enjoying this one more just because of how amazing it looks and sounds. (edit: the downside is the CG for some wildlife was obviously skimped on - but it's not terrible, just clearly not the best available)

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I might marathon Predator & Predator 2 tomorrow then step right into this. All the other movies are varying degrees of trash... but I'll admit I liked it in AVP2 when that hot blonde chick gets absolutely wrecked in the hospital by the giant predator ninja star thing.

Excited to see this bad boy and check out the hype, fingers crossed I dig it!!!

Last edited:

Toons

I was bored so I went ahead and gave this a watch at midnight lol.

No regrets. Its a solid flick. I'm not a big predator guy but I've seen the original. Theres some really nice stuff for fans of the franchise here, but its a straightforward action film and its gorgeous to look at and has some fantastic fight sequences. The main actress does a great job as Naru and I really like her brother in the movie as well. They fake up the vast majority of the runtime, its a very focused movie which i think some will appreciate.

Well worth a watch. Its surprisingly brisk at just around 90 minutes.

Toons

Also trigger warning for those here who care: They said there are very, very few 'woke' elements in the movie but it's only very, very minor and will not distract nor detract from it being a good movie. End recommendation is to view it since even a month sub on Hulu is still cheaper than a movie ticket.

These tubers are giving out actual trigger warnings for """woke"""" stuff now?

Jesus christ. We've gone full circle.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I enjoyed the film and was happy there was no silly bullcrap in it. The Predator in this one was pretty cool, although he didn't seem as intelligent as the Yautia in past films. Still smarter than the 'Super Predator' in The Predator, at least.

I've only seen it once so it's still fresh, but my ratings may go like this:

1. PREDATOR
2. PREY (maybe?)
3. Predator 2
4. Predators
5. AVP
10. AVP2: Requiem
100. The Predator

PREDATOR is still king by a mile.

Jungle Hunter is still my favorite Yautia, then probably Wolf, then City Hunter. The others were all disappointing to me in some way.

...Except this lil' guy. He's cool. ❤️
comic con cosplay GIF

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
More thoughts:

I enjoyed how the overarching subtext was that humans are such dangerous predators because of our ability to quickly observe, adapt, and use the strengths of other predators against themselves when needed. It's a theme that is explored directly and progressed over and over as each scene advances through the acts.

I also liked the juxtaposition of the predator and Naru. The predator relied far too much upon his brute strength and technology, while Naru instead understood her limitations and when the time was right to pick a fight.

Just excellent writing and direction for a simple 90-minute action film. I cannot wait to see what Trachtenberg does next, and Midthunder gave off such heavy Ellen Ripley vibes with her performance that I want to see more of her right away as well.

This movie exceeded my expectations so much. Don't go in expecting some kind of Oscar winning game changer, but it's easily the most well crafted and acted action film from any of these streaming services in a very long time.

Edit: also whoever played her brother is another one to watch. Damn that guy was good. Edit 2: His name is Dakota Beavers

My rankings:

1. Predator
2. Prey
3. Predator 2
4. It doesn't matter, the rest is trash

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Also in case anyone is curious:

DnEopypU0AAv9qg.jpg
Wtf at those scores!?!

Predator should be rocking near 100% it literally is the most perfect genre movie, like Diehard it has no weak spots whatsoever

Predator 2 28%!?!? Fookin voodoo magic maan that film needs to be up near the high 70's / 80's, got some class action set pieces, advances the story and just feels like a great sequel

sol_bad

Absolutely loved it, really well directed and smartly written. The action scenes are really well shot and executed.

I was legit worried for Naru and Saari!

I'll spoiler this about the Predator itself.
I really liked how it's technology felt older than what we are used to seeing. Every time he brought out a weapon I thought I was familiar with it surprised me with how different it ended up being. Like instead of having the shoulder laser, they are metal spike things.

I don't know if I like this better than the original or not. Predator is more macho 80's over the top whereas this feels more realistic in tone.

Last edited:
Man i really wanted to like this, but i just straight up didnt buy the lead in this at all. She just didnt work for me on any level.

Disappointed given what seemed like a cool premise. Nice scenery though, Alberta Canada.

Ulysses 31

Is that true? 0 woke elements?
There's some things about holding women down and a character bullying the protag because she's a woman according to Angry Joe review.

And there's still the line that she wants to hunt because people say she can't. 👀

But that stuff is just in the beginning from what I've heard.

There's some things about holding women down and a character bullying the protag because she's a woman according to Angry Joe review.

And there's still the line that she wants to hunt because people say she can't. 👀

Yes sorry I forgot about that. But that's your basic woke things that have existed before all the current madness.

Stuart360

The visual design of the predator here and how he fights is just fucking awesome
I actually didnt like the way the Predator looked, its face just didnt look like a predator. And its bare bones look in terms of little armour, well it looked a bit cheesy, like he was trying to match what the natives were wearing (which he may of been doing, for a more fair fight).

I thought the film was really good though overall.

Stuart360

Yes thats in it, but its only at the start, and its nothing that wasnt already in films before the whole woke nonsense of the last 10 years started.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I actually didnt like the way the Predator looked, its face just didnt look like a predator. And its bare bones look in terms of little armour, well it looked a bit cheesy, like he was trying to match what the natives were wearing (which he may of been doing, for a more fair fight).

I thought the film was really good though overall.
Yes thats in it, but its only at the start, and its nothing that wasnt already in films before the whole woke nonsense of the last 10 years started.
In Suart I trust on this. Gonna give it a go this weekend.

Stuart360

In Suart I trust on this. Gonna give it a go this weekend.
Honestly its not woke, you know how i am with woke shit lol. We saw this kind of 'stay at home woman and leave the tough stuff to the men' stuff in films long before the woke nonsense started.

And yeah the film is really good.

Predator
Predator 2
Prey
Predators
AVP
AVP Requium
The Predator.

My rankings :messenger_sunglasses:

I don't usually watch movies on Hulu and I have the tier that does commercials. Do they run commercials throughout the film?

Stuart360

Wtf at those scores!?!

Predator should be rocking near 100% it literally is the most perfect genre movie, like Diehard it has no weak spots whatsoever

Predator 2 28%!?!? Fookin voodoo magic maan that film needs to be up near the high 70's / 80's, got some class action set pieces, advances the story and just feels like a great sequel
You have to remember at the time these kind of films did NOT do well with critics. And the film was the first film in the series meaning it didnt have pop culture influence behind it. It actually did really well to get 80% at the time. I believe if you search for the Predator DVD or BluRay page, the score is in the 90's.

And yeah Predator 2 getting 28% is rifdiculous. even for the time. I do remember 'but it has no Arnold in it' feeling with the reviews at the time with Arnold becoming a huge star by the time Pred 2 releasaed.

Last edited:
Can't believe this is actually good. Honestly I didn't see this coming, not in a million years. I'll give it a try. I even watched that pile of garbage that was The Predator.

Bartski

Gold Member
Can't wait but I'm very reluctant to sign up to another streaming platform just to watch one film, I'll rather wait 'till it's available elsewhere.

I was never on Disney+ and before this thread I thought Hulu is an American cable or sth...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You have to remember at the time these kind of films did NOT do well with critics. And the film was the first film in the series meaning it didnt have pop culture influence behind it. It actually did really well to get 80% at the time. I believe if you search for the Predator DVD or BluRay page, the score is in the 90's.

And yeah Predator 2 getting 28% is rifdiculous. even for the time. I do remember 'but it has no Arnold in it' feeling with the reviews at the time with Arnold becoming a huge star by the time Pred 2 releasaed.
Yeah Predator 2 has bigger more intricate actuon set-pieces and most of them actually involve the Predator, and they really expand the Predator lore without ever stepping on the originals toes. Danny Glover was probably a little miscast - not that his acting wasn't great he just didn't fit the role as action hero, especially coming from Arnie as you say.
Predators also suffered from some miscasting - but the core idea of the movie I really liked.
Looking forward to watching Prey this weekend.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love Predator like I love Boba Fett. They are deadly and look cool. And you just want a story to live up to their potential of ....looking really cool, but it rarely ever happens.

Hey, doesn't Disney own both? That'd be cool to see Boba Fett vs Predator.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I didn’t outright love the movie but there’s enough good scenes that overall its very solid. Probably the best one since the original.

The bad bear cgi is my only real complaint. They should have shot that scene at night or in mist to hide the bad effect lol thats pretty much what they did for the predator himself and he looked great as a result.

AJUMP23

I enjoyed the movie a great deal. I would give it a B. No Character growth, but adaptation. The Sister and Brother had a great dynamic. I do think they cheapen the gun from the ship in Predator 2 a little, but overall a fun ride.

It was better than THOR 4.

Top Bottom