• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction time: Will GTA 6 outsell GTA V (at launch or lifetime sales)?

Yes. Yet another poll. Will GTA 6 outsell GTA V?

• Yes, It will surpass GTA V's launch numbers, but not lifetime sales

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Yes, It will surpass GTA V's launch and lifetime sales

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • No, It will not outsell GTA V in any way

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Wacky 4th option

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
GTA V is on record for having generated a billion dollars 3 days after release (on consoles alone) amongst other absurd sales records. Will GTA 6 outsell it?

Why it might:
- It's been a decade since a new GTA game came out.
- Since 2013 we've seen the gaming customer base grow massively ( a lot of franchises have their bestselling entry as the most recent one because of this)
- Not a lot of games are slotted to release in 2024, and the rumours suggest that's when GTA 6 is likely to be released.
- GTA is the only franchise that puts up those kinds of numbers per release (COD has to release a game every year or two to come close)

Why It might not:
- There are factors that make me think people's financial situations are generally not as robust as could be (global recession, covid layoffs, housing prices etc).
- While the gaming industry keeps posting record profits, we have to keep in mind that those come from the f2p monetization based games found in mobile games subsector.
- GTA online has been filling in for the people who have needed a gta experience.
- GTA 5 is *still* in monthly bestsellers charts a decade after release.
- The creative minds behind Rockstar's games are no longer fully there. Dan houser was a key part in directing all previous GTA games, he departed Rockstar in 2020

All of this is speculation and guesswork, but what is your prediction?

Aenima

Depends for how many generations they want to milk GTA6. GTA5 is on its 3rd deneration. So its possible, but very hard.
It will probably beat GTA5 launch sales, ppl are thirsty for a new GTA game.

skyfall

They've left it too long and the hype is turning into frustration. Plus with the new team I don't think it'll do too well.

You can answer your own question.

Can you believe to milk GTAVI harder than GTAV? I hardly believe that's possible.

This shit was getting ridiculous.

Base release on PS3/360.
Same shit with stable framerate and improved resolution on PS4/Xbox One.

Last Release was on PS5/Xbox Series X/Series S.

Finally with 60fps and Raytracing in 30fps.

My prediction in It's core GTAVI will be more a PS4 game than GTAV was in It's core a PS3/360 game.

Fox Mulder

It’ll have a massive launch even if it’s a corporate neutered GTA made without the creative minds that created the series.

I just doubt they’ll wait a decade again to release another game. There was just something unique about GTA V that will probably never happen again. It spanned three consoles generations.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

GustavoLT

I'm starting to think this game will never get released!! So I'm going with:

(×)4 - 0 sales, game got canceled.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Lifetime sales would mean 10 years down the line?
So PS5, PS6 and maybe PS7 generation.
Yeah I think it takes that crown.

GTAV launch on PS3, PS4 and PS5.

I dont think the install base is there yet to match the GTAV launch, cuz X360/PS3 were heavy, the XB1/PS4 version launched a year later, then a year after that the PC version gave the game another boost.......2022 PS5/XSX gave the game yet another boost.

For GTAVI to achieve similar success, and im assuming there will be no XB1/PS4 version......it would need to launch near the end of the generation, and relaunch on the XPX/PS6.

Fake

Never ever. I believe GTAV is the last of the kind because most of the people that make the GTA series what it is are out of the company.

Well, they can try. I'll glad to be proved wrong.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Tbh it kinda depends on how its marketed. Losing the Housers who were instrumental to GTA’s success and toning down the humour etc to appeal to ‘modern’ audiences isnt exactly something genuine fans aren’t looking forward to. Now its not the end of the world unless they go woke, so its 100% going to be down to whether the first gameplay reveal is mindblowing or just more of the same.
I think it will sell as well GTAV though overall.

It's difficult to say....

GTA V is insane. People are thirsty for VI and it will sell like crazy no matter what but I don't know if it can beat GTA V. It could underperform but it could also destroy GTA V.

With us being almost 3 years into the current console generation and still no official announcement for VI then i would put it at a 2025 release at the earliest. I think there was a chance for a late 2024 release but my money is on a 25/26 release.

By that time Rockstar could easily pull the same stunt with releasing the game on current gen and then a next gen version. Then there is the PC version which will likely be ~1 year after current gen consoles. If Rockstar need to wait 1-2 years for next gen consoles then PC might actually come a lot later.

It just really depends on the timing and how good the game actually is. I'm sure it'll be an improvement over V but with the departure of Leslie and Dan it remains to be seen if GTA can still be GTA.

Tbh it kinda depends on how its marketed. Losing the Housers who were instrumental to GTA’s success and toning down the humour etc to appeal to ‘modern’ audiences isnt exactly something genuine fans aren’t looking forward to. Now its not the end of the world unless they go woke, so its 100% going to be down to whether the first gameplay reveal is mindblowing or just more of the same.
I think it will sell as well GTAV though overall.
I thought it was just Dan who left? Sam should still be there. Still, losing Dan and Leslie is a huge blow.

Last edited:

Gojiira

It's difficult to say....

GTA V is insane. People are thirsty for VI and it will sell like crazy no matter what but I don't know if it can beat GTA V. It could underperform but it could also destroy GTA V.

With us being almost 3 years into the current console generation and still no official announcement for VI then i would put it at a 2025 release at the earliest. I think there was a chance for a late 2024 release but my money is on a 25/26 release.

By that time Rockstar could easily pull the same stunt with releasing the game on current gen and then a next gen version. Then there is the PC version which will likely be ~1 year after current gen consoles. If Rockstar need to wait 1-2 years for next gen consoles then PC might actually come a lot later.

It just really depends on the timing and how good the game actually is. I'm sure it'll be an improvement over V but with the departure of Leslie and Dan it remains to be seen if GTA can still be GTA.

I thought it was just Dan who left? Sam should still be there. Still, losing Dan and Leslie is a huge blow.
Im not 100% tbh, I thought both had left now. Still Im more worried if its woke or not and whether the gameplay itself has been improved.

EDMIX

If there was ever a game I'd tell people to pre-order, this is the one.

This game is likely to break every record imaginable regarding a launch.

Saber

Gold Member
Really hard to tell judging the direction of the current company. If they still offers a game where people can just wreck havoc and cause chaos, then yes its possible.

Fatmanp

The only publisher/Dev that I would not bet against in terms of sales and revenue is Rockstar. 10 years is a long ass time.

Majormaxxx

Multi dipping is why lifetime gta 5 won't be outsold.

I played it on ps3. Then bought the ps4 disc and played it twice. And this year bought it digital on series x and beat it again. So that's 3 systems. And some people maybe also got it on pc. Gta 6 - two copies max. Pc and console.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it will eventually sell somewhere between RDR and GTAV. It's hard to imagine anything selling what GTAV did.

Belthazar

It depends: will it also have an online mode where you'll get more currency out of buying a cheap copy of the game than putting that money on the actual MTX on the store? If the answer is yes then it will, as A LOT of the so called legs from GTA V come from buying a copy for the shark card that comes with it.

EDMIX

Multi dipping is why lifetime gta 5 won't be outsold.

I played it on ps3. Then bought the ps4 disc and played it twice. And this year bought it digital on series x and beat it again. So that's 3 systems. And some people maybe also got it on pc. Gta 6 - two copies max. Pc and console.

Thats funny...I'm going to want you to read your post again but slowly to see how irrelevant a lot of that is.

I'll wait...

=)

Rocco Schiavone Rocco Schiavone "Can you believe to milk GTAVI harder than GTAV? I hardly believe that's possible." The fucking deep lolz.

Why would that not be possible with GTAVI?

So...let me help folks understand this shit, Rockstar isn't new to any of this and GTA V wasn't the first to be put on a shit ton of systems.

GTA SA, GTA III, GTA VC made on PS2, ported to PS3 via PSN, ported to PS4...same gen remade on PS4 and PS5 (terrible lol), put on Mac, Android, ios

oh but GTA V is the one you folks are talking about? The game never remade and never put on phone yet? Did you guys fall asleep or something for generations when those other GTA games were being ported to oblivion or some shit? lol Yet ohhhhh GTA VI will be different and that can't happen that way or something? Why? Make the fucking point MAKE SENSE.

We will get PS6, MS will put out another system and life goes on, during that time you can expect GTA VI to be ported as some remaster or some shit, then ported to PC, then Mac, then PS7, Switch 2, then VR edition lol Why would the people that milked those last GTAs, NOT milk this next GTA or something? So expect it to be ported, remastered, re-released etc, especially if it has some huge online portion.

Last edited:

GMCamaro

I’m about as excited for GTA 6 as I am for TES 6, which is honestly not very.

I liked the previous entry, but it’s been what, a decade?

Last edited:

hussar16

They probably want those numbers is WHT they Wil force it to come out on last gen. Sucks because it Wil be held down by it

Mattyp

Gold Member
Give zero fucks about this game at this point and no interest in the multi aspect anymore that I’m now 30. Just do not care.

Pelao

It's been a decade. The wait between GTA games used to be close enough to each other to keep a good amount of the same talent between installments. For me, Rockstar at this point is an unknown quantity. GTA 6 could be a resounding success or it could be a disappointment produced by a team that doesn't understand what made GTA great. It's a coin flip.

nush

No, after 3 gens of selling the same game and no other game being released that's even tried to fill in the gap. The core audience have probably grown out of it and the kids are into something else. Sure it will sell well, but not GTAV well.

kiphalfton

Supposedly there are about 50 million XS consoles and PS5 consoles out in the wild.

So if the game is $70, in order to surpass $1 billion in sales, 1 in 3 people would have to buy a copy of the game.

I'd say that isn't that unlikely.

BUT I don't think it will sell as well as GTA V, for the sole reason that that game came out several years into the PS3 and Xbox 360 console cycle. When pretty much everybody had one or the other or both. And then obviously RS was able to get people to buy it again on PS4 and PS5. I don't see that happening with GTA VI.

Top Bottom