• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Theorymon

I hope we get Solgaleo and Lunaala's typing soon, now THAT's the big mystery to me!

I'm worried that they're gonna make Solgaeo pure Fire in Ubers, which could give us another Reshiram: aka an outclassed Fire-type in Ubers, because its hard to compete with Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon. Hopefully if Solgaleo does get pure Fire or a lame secondary typing, it gets an incredible ability / move to make up for it!

I'm guessing Lunaala is at least part Fairy, if only because Fairies are heavily associated with the Moon now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what do you think will be the romanization of the names?

Solgaleo seems straightforward enough to keep the name, but Lunaala could be Lunara.

Dr. Buni

Can't get excited for this, given how mediocre XY were. I am also wary of Game Freak adding far too many new Pokémon in Gen 7, we already have faaaar too many of them. We shouldn't get more than 50 new ones, but I know they will likely do a stupid thing and add 160 new species. I know a lot of fans want more and more, but that is only hurting the series imo.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They will probably talk about the box mascot, show some new Pokémon and maybe touch upon the Alola region and important NPC.

Please bring back regular evos.

(I'm gonna snap the neck of anyone who mentions Sylveon)

Agreed, Cross gen evolution need to return as Mega and whatever the fuck Ash Greninja meant to be doesn't scratch the same itch that Cross gen evolution offers.

Can't get excited for this, given how mediocre XY were. I am also wary of Game Freak adding far too many new Pokémon in Gen 7, we already have faaaar too many of them. We shouldn't get more than 50 new ones, but I know they will likely do a stupid thing and add 160 new species. I know a lot of fans want more and more, but that is only hurting the series imo.

X and Y suffered because the new Pokémon count was so low thus they ended up being shoved into the background while the old Pokémon hogged the spotlight.

I do not want the same happening again with the gen 7 Pokémon nor do I want a small roster.

Also I fail to see how having 160+ new Pokémon is hurting the series.

Solgaleo seems straightforward enough to keep the name, but Lunaala could be Lunara.

It might be just me but Solgaleo and Lunaala sounds like Ice cream name. :|

Red Fire

Here's the history for starter evolution reveals

Generation 1
Obviously before launch. They're on the bloody cover

Generation 2
I'm not actually sure. It's a bit before my time. I don't think they were shown

Generation 3
Base forms: Leaked in July 2002 (my bad) | Officially revealed in CoroCoro in September 2002
Middle stages: Names released through trademarks. Not shown before launch
Final stages: Blaziken: CoroCoro in August 2002 | Sceptile & Swampert: Not shown before launch

Generation 4
Base forms: CoroCoro in September 2006
Middle stages: Not before launch
Final stages: Not before launch

Generation 5
Base forms: CoroCoro in May 2010
Middle stages: Servine & Dewott in anime production leak in July 2010. Pignite in Wottergate in September 2010. Official reveal in CoroCoro in September 2010
Final stages: All in Wottergate in September 2010. Not officially revealed before launch

Generation 6
Base forms: Pokémon Direct in January 2013
Middle stages: CoroCoro in September 2013
Final stages: Leaked by people with early copies. Not officially revealed before launch

Generation 7
Base forms: Reveal in May 2016

Probably a bit of both. We had a lot of reveals for X & Y in CoroCoro and a lot of reveals for X & Y away from CoroCoro.

Corocoro leaked the final gen 6 evos a few days before launch though. Technically it was after launch but as we get the leaks early we got them before the games came out :p

ar4757

I expect a better look at the region. I love the region's concept. Hoenn 2.0 but maybe this time it'll get a 7.9/10

JoeM86

Corocoro leaked the final gen 6 evos a few days before launch though. Technically it was after launch but as we get the leaks early we got them before the games came out :p

The official reveal was after launch

New Pokémon help drive the series. Relying on the past and not adding much new causes stagnation.

How is it hurting the series, if I may ask?

Ydelnae

I think this will be Solgaleo + Lunaala official reveal, I game shots of Zygarde 100% and maybe some distribution deal with Magearna. I don't think we will get actual new Pokemon this time, maybe some new mega.

you got this wrong. X/Y were disappointing because we only got like 50 mons during a normal playthrough.
A Pokemon game needs 100+ new mons and i hope they learned this know.

Kinsei

Banned
Just over two weeks, yay! I hope we get to really see that little dog/deer Pokemon from the Japanese trailer.

I think they'll be the same seeing as we got the romanization in the leaks. As far as I know Ara is not "wing" in any language and Lunaala is clearly not a parrot so I can't see it being that even if they do change it.

so x/y got 71 new pokemon
- 6 are immediately unavailable because you didn't chose the starter, brings it down to 65
- 5 are version exclusives brings it down to 60
- 3 are mythicals that got released later, makes it 57
- you have to choose a fossil which means you can't have two of them, 55

might have missed a few or mistakes but for most people that play the game until they beat E4, they probably only going to catch 40-ish new mons. That's just not enough. of course you can trade but that's just not the same than encountering them and catching them yourself.

I'm hoping for some new Pokemon to be shown off. Would like to see the starter evolutions, but I know that's far away from now.

Galava

Remember that this will probably be the sequel to the first japanese ad, so don't expect a full gameplay reveal or in-depth information, that could come with Corocoro. It will follow the style of the first ad.

Also, forgot to add, A short version of the first ad was uploaded yesterday to the Pokémon Japan channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smpu8RZn3xc

It doesn't add anything we haven't seen, but this frame seems new, close-up of the Moon Legendary face.
kbfVNxd.png

This shot seems new also, but no new info:
jjflAKs.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
- 6 are immediately unavailable because you didn't chose the starter, brings it down to 65

might have missed a few or mistakes but for most people that play the game until they beat E4, they probably only going to catch 40-ish new mons. That's just not enough. of course you can trade but that's just not the same than encountering them and catching them yourself.

It's 72 new Pokémon, but yeah I agree with your point plus it gets worse when you take out the staple of the series like the starters, regional birds, rodents, bugs, fossil, pseudo-legendary Pokémon, Pika clones, box mascot and event Pokémon. Then the new Pokémon counts is small leaving you with 41 new Pokémon to play with.

Then Game Freak had the awful of idea of splitting Kalos into three parts that combined with the old Pokémon the Kalos Pokémon got heavily overshadowed.

In fact gen 6 was the first generation where I struggled to remember the new Pokémon as I wasn't seeing them often in the wild or in battle.

Remember that this will probably be the sequel to the first japanese ad, so don't expect a full gameplay reveal or in-depth information, that could come with Corocoro. It will follow the style of the first ad.

We saw new gameplay footage from the first Japanese advert that wasn't shown in the Western trailer, so we will likely see more, like new Pokémon on the early route.

Galava

We saw new gameplay footage from the first Japanese advert that wasn't shown in the Western trailer, so we will likely see more, like new Pokémon on the early route.

With full gameplay and new info I mean that the trailer won't be in the style of the international trailer we got.

GoldStarz

Go play the Gen 1 VCs if you're going to complain about 'too many Pokemon'

And of those, ~45 of them were officially revealed before the games even came out smh

I just want to be able to get a Pikachu, Charizard, Gengar, and Espeon.
and maybe Scizor.

Just need some water Pokemon to play defense. I doubt there will be a Pokemon this gen that makes me change up my team y a significant amount.

And of those, ~45 of them were officially revealed before the games even came out smh

yeah, i remember the guys who got early copy saying that he hasn't encountered any new pokemon that weren't shown before and everybody thought they would come late in the game.

JoeM86

A friend pointed out to me that this reveal is on the same day as the Ash-Greninja VS Mega Abomasnow episode where Ash may master Synchro with Greninja...

GoldStarz

yeah, i remember the guys who got early copy saying that he hasn't encountered any new pokemon that weren't shown before and everybody thought they would come late in the game.

I remember everyone I talked to was like "woah the game must be really long" because of that. IIRC, Carbink was the first actually 'new' Pokemon.

Ydelnae

A friend pointed out to me that this reveal is on the same day as the Ash-Greninja VS Mega Abomasnow episode where Ash masters Synchro with Greninja...

Then I think the reveal will be Mega Greninja, Mega Delphox and Mega Chesnaught getting announced and footage of 100% Zygarde. I think this piece of news will focus on Kalos Pokémon before moving on to Alola Pokémon reveals.

Galava

A friend pointed out to me that this reveal is on the same day as the Ash-Greninja VS Mega Abomasnow episode where Ash may master Synchro with Greninja...

Oh, we are in for a ride then. Wasn't that episode in which the description says that "Ash matures"?

JoeM86

Oh, we are in for a ride then. Wasn't that episode in which the description says that "Ash matures"?

Yep. Here's the summary

Ash-Greninja VS Mega Abomasnow! The Giant Water Shuriken Triggers!!
After interacting with the Pokémon in the forest, Ash has matured a bit further. No longer lost on what to do, Ash once again issues a battle. Ash summons up everything he has gained so far on his journey: The knowledge, the experience and the memories made with the Pokémon. But the ultimate opponent appears before him: Mega Abomasnow.

Oh wow that's on my birthday lol. I also get my dissertation results that day, so it could either be a really great day or a really disappointing one

I'm expecting a couple new Pokémon to be reveal without their names.

What we'll get for the CoroCoro leaks are the names of the couple on Pokémon that were shown on June 2nd and a really short video of a new Pokémon being revealed but with no name.

It'll be one big and exciting circle Jerk up until release.

That's nice news to wake up. Honestly not expecting much more than official confirmation of the box legendaries' names and typings, but new Pokemon or other new info would be welcome. Synchro evolution, mergh.

June 2013, between Corocoro and E3, saw something like 9 Pokemon revealed; being Noibat, Skrelp, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Vivillon, Clauncher, Talonflame, Flabebe, and Litleo.

However, the first 'big' reveal of new Pokemon after the initial XY announcement was just 4 (Heliolisk, Gogoat, Pancham, and Fletchling) - although we had seen Mega Mewtwo and Sylveon announced in between.

Of course, XY revealed too much of the Dex before launch, in my opinion so if they're going to make it as small as last gen, I hope that they don't do it again.

Hoping for 100+ pokemon this time. Maybe some details on the story structure if they plan to take it in a different direction this time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think they'll be the same seeing as we got the romanization in the leaks. As far as I know Ara is not "wing" in any language and Lunaala is clearly not a parrot so I can't see it being that even if they do change it.

Ah the leak included the romanization too? I thought it was just someone adding them.

It might be just me but Solgaleo and Lunaala sounds like Ice cream name. :|

At least they don't sound like artist names for ice cream!

Yep. Here's the summary

Ash-Greninja VS Mega Abomasnow! The Giant Water Shuriken Triggers!!
After interacting with the Pokémon in the forest, Ash has matured a bit further. No longer lost on what to do, Ash once again issues a battle. Ash summons up everything he has gained so far on his journey: The knowledge, the experience and the memories made with the Pokémon. But the ultimate opponent appears before him: Mega Abomasnow.
IT'S HAPPENING

Kinsei

Banned
Hoping for 100+ pokemon this time. Maybe some details on the story structure if they plan to take it in a different direction this time.

I'm hoping for around 130 like gen 3, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll just get 80-90 so they can get the count over 800.

No matter how many new Pokemon are in it, hopefully the region isn't flooded with old ones. Kalos wouldn't have been as bad if it was mostly the new Pokemon. Still bad, just not as bad.

Muzy72

Banned
When did we get typings for Xerneas and Yveltal? Though they had more reason to hide the typings back then since Fairy type wasn't revealed till June 2013.

I'm hoping for around 130 like gen 3, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll just get 80-90 so they can get the count over 800.

No matter how many new Pokemon are in it, hopefully the region isn't flooded with old ones. Kalos wouldn't have been as bad if it was mostly the new Pokemon. Still bad, just not as bad.

Around 130 would be nice; I felt like Gen 6 was verging on too small. Especially so when all of the 'necessary' Pokemon were included (Starters, early bird/rodent, box legends, mythicals, fossils) and take up a good portion of the Dex.

I also like odd numbered gens because they tend to introduce more (both in # and proportional to Dex size) 3-stage evolution lines, which I usually prefer over 2-stage ones.

javadoze

I'm finally playing ORAS and it reminds me how nice and diverse Hoenn's pokemon lineup was. Probably the best blend of old and new (aside from B2/W2).

The sheer amount of returning pokemon in XY was too much that it overshadowed the really good new ones.

JoeM86

Timings given

22:00 JST. That's 14:00 BST, 15:00 CEST, 09:00 EDT, 06:00 PDT and 23:00 AEST

Will be on the official site

woen

130+ Pokémon is a sweet number. I'd love to see once again a region with only new Pokémon until E4, like they did with Unovas.

But the Megas will likely once again take too much place in the game, story-wise, breaking the pacing, the boss battles and preventing the game from adding a bunch new Pokémon and from moving forward. I hope I'm wrong but after XY/ORAS they will continue.

Meh meh meh. Looks like I gotta start my blackout pretty soon!

Is anyone else joining me?

I'm going to do this too. It's pretty simple, you have to avoid Pokémon gaf threads, remove your Pokémon feeds on twitter/fb/reddit/youtube and don't go on Pokémon websites.

Top Bottom