• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

RedSwirl

Huh.

I'm in Maohgany town right now in SoulSliver and just realized that not only have I not caught any fire-types, I've barely even encountered any at all in the game up to this point.

Suggestions?

Not sure I remember what that means.

GTS or forum trade. Offer Pokémon for better success rates if you've seen it at least once from another trainer, or try to arrange a trade online somehow.

if you're going to trade for something, get Houndoom instead. then at least you get Dark, too.

Now that kinda reminds me how Zorua and co should have been there since the beginning. Soooooo goooooooooooood.

*Sniff* the smell of a new thread. Interesting...

Anyway, lessee what's on the track. BW2/Dex 3D Pro/Dream Radar in October, HarmoKnight *eventually*, and I think that's it in games for this gen. Next year, ooh boy.

I should really plug in Rumble Blast again, I just remembered that I liked the OST for that game. I also have the StreetPasses for it clogging my folder, so there's that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is anyone here actually going to purchase Radar? I'm a bit iffy on it as i'm not really into face raiders, so it doesn't seem like it'll be too fun.

I'm feeling daring.

Who wants to avatar bet that we'll know concrete Japanese launch details for Gen VI games before the end of this thread?

Is anyone here actually going to purchase Radar? I'm a bit iffy on it as i'm not really into face raiders, so it doesn't seem like it'll be too fun.
Dream World legendaries, and Therian Forme Kamis. I'm in.

I thought you didn't have a 3DS anyway?

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm feeling daring.

Who wants to avatar bet that we'll know concrete Japanese launch details for Gen VI games before the end of this thread?

I have a 3DS, but i'm purchasing a DSi XL because that's the best way to play DS games. Zelda 3DS actually.

Serebii.net (do we like them here?) has posted an image from the latest Corocoro

EDIT: Image deleted! Sorry! Go to Serebii to see.

Possibly something to do with a new Pokemon game apparently. My 1st thought was Pokedex Pro, then I remembered it had already being released in Japan. Aplogies if this has already been discussed.

Zeroth

I'm feeling daring.

Well, the last thread lasted about 10 months, that's plenty of time to GF announce a new Gen game. I think it would be riskier to bet on a 3D RPG Pokemon.

Could be a CGI short, based on Pikachu + Axew being front and center.

I would say it's not G6, because if they are showing anything from that, it's gonna be a new Pokemon first. A silhouette, at that.

Now includes a swirly eyes animation when they faint.

*when they win* GREAT JOB OUT THERE, GENERIC BIRD
*when they faint* YOU DID YOUR BEST, GENERIC BIRD

You must say these after every battle, or their friendship will drop harder than Skrillex.

MikeMyers

It's the start of a new journey, so it's time to pick your new partner!

DjnKL.jpg

RsxB9.jpg

45Xe2.jpg

I usually always go for the Grass type.

Only exception was in Gen III and in Platinum. Gen III I wasn't too big on Sceptile's design and wanted Cacturne, so I opted to Torchic instead. Platinum I thought Piplup was the coolest*, but I was going to go with Turtwig until I found out about Gibile being available so early in the game. Seeing as I didn't want 2 4x Ice weak on my team at that point, I decided to go for Chimchar...with Vileplume as my Grass type.

*I never pick the Water starter because I always use Gyarados as my Water type, every game.

Gravijah

there's nothing really wrong with Johto, it just sucks that it's held back by Kanto being included. it could have been a much bigger, more fleshed out region.

Kokonoe

Banned
There's nothing about Johto that makes it emptier than other regions, though.

This part is preference, but I've already stated before that being able to play in Kanto was one of my favorite moments in Pokemon, so I prefer it that way personally.

Wiseblade

There's nothing about Johto that makes it emptier than other regions, though.

This part is preference, but I've already stated before that being able to play in Kanto was one of my favorite moments in Pokemon, so I prefer it that way personally.

That's odd, because I remember Kanto having Viridian Forest, Pokémon Mansion, Power Plant, Seafoam Islands and Cerulean Cave as exporable areas...

MikeMyers

Johto would be better if instead of making Geodude available so early, they made Larivtar the early Rock/Ground type.

Tyranitar is a BOSS

Kokonoe

Banned
That's odd, because I remember Kanto having Viridian Forest, Pokémon Mansion, Power Plant, Seafoam Islands and Cerulean Cave as exporable areas...

Yet it had everything else, including Gym Leaders. It didn't have to have every single detail of Kanto, it had a good majority of it.

Boney

Banned
the fact that all these people that joined like a year late and got in the top 10 really illustrates the swift decay of pokegaf

G/S eviscerated Kanto and left it as a husk for the most part, on top of this point is that Johto is pretty barebones by itself, a region fluffed out with many caves, half of which are mercifully optional at least.
Johto also doesn't handle its break away from linearity very well, it leads to some very uneven late game levelling.

Simply put, the less time spent cramming a half assed Kanto into the game the more time could've been spent making Johto itself a better region, I swear half of its loved legacy is the fact that Kanto was there as well, if anything that tells me that Kanto is awesome and that Johto for the most part leeches off from it.

Gravijah

Johto has only slightly less size than Kanto.

http://i.imgur.com/XveQl.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z7ppu.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

isn't that GSC Kanto, which is smaller? imagine if the space for Kanto was used for Johto!

here's Hoenn by comparison

[url]http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/190/2/d/hoenn_overworld_map_by_jay21310-d56mbfp.jpg[/url]

still not great quality, but man i kept running into fan maps.

Looking at that Johto map i'm reminded that route 30 and 31 must be one of the most bland stretches of anything in Pokemon history.

Top Bottom