• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

Man I hope whoever goes to that conference gets sone footage, would love to hear from them all.

In other news Deponia FINALLY landed on steam few hours ago, 20% off too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214340/

i4Jzp0g7qqgc4.jpg

Deponia Giant Bomb QL

Voice acting seems ok, but Daedalic have some amazing artists. Anyone know any details about them, team size, are they publisher or developer, etc?

eXistor

Been playing the Book of Unwritten Tales myself. It's probably the best PnC I've played since the last 2 Wadjet Eye games (Gemini Rue and Resonance). The puzzles are logical and you always have a clear goal. The game is pretty easy-going, charming and references a lot of the classics (seen LotR, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Monkey Island references in a very short time span).

The more modern PnC's I play the more I dislike the fact that I started out with LucasArts, there's not been one game that can really compete with those, this included. It's unfair perhaps, but it's impossible to not compare them.

For what it is though, Unwritten Tales really is worthwhile. It may not have an original bone in its body, but it's a very solid and fairly funny entry with minimal frustration (so far). I realy don't like digital releases so I bought it off of amazon.co.uk for about 8 pounds, which is a lot cheaper than it is on steam and it comes in a nice slip-case and double-sided map and has a soundrack on a seperate disc, you know for those that like that sort of thing.

Ceebs

The more modern PnC's I play the more I dislike the fact that I started out with LucasArts, there's not been one game that can really compete with those, this included. It's unfair perhaps, but it's impossible to not compare them.

I am really glad I started with the Sierra stuff.

I am still shocked that Kings Quest 5 and Secret of Monkey Island came out the same year. Discovering Monkey Island after all the Sierra stuff I had been playing was like magic. Has been my favorite franchise ever since.

Finaika

Been playing the Book of Unwritten Tales myself. It's probably the best PnC I've played since the last 2 Wadjet Eye games (Gemini Rue and Resonance). The puzzles are logical and you always have a clear goal. The game is pretty easy-going, charming and references a lot of the classics (seen LotR, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Monkey Island references in a very short time span).

For what it is though, Unwritten Tales really is worthwhile. It may not have an original bone in its body, but it's a very solid and fairly funny entry with minimal frustration (so far). I realy don't like digital releases so I bought it off of amazon.co.uk for about 8 pounds, which is a lot cheaper than it is on steam and it comes in a nice slip-case and double-sided map and has a soundrack on a seperate disc, you know for those that like that sort of thing.

I'm also having a blast with The Book of Unwritten Tales. Its really well made, with high production values.

vareon

Oh wow, good impressions. Thanks for sharing, now I'm curious about the game.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

Sounds great. I was really interested in the game, and this just confirms that it'll be a purchase.

Has anyone bought the Steam version? The Steam demo is broken and won't launch, and I want to make sure that the full game runs hitch-free and will run decently on my Macbook Air.

The Book of Unwritten Tales isn't clicking with me at all. I love the humor but that's about the only thing I'm finding appealing. It's way too easy, for one thing, and I'm not getting immersed into the world at all. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer but if things don't change I'm moving on.

It's not good, avoid at all cost.

he he, yea. I mean if you pick it up for a few bucks and don't mind goofy looking characters its not that bad. It's an interesting setting.

I'm looking forward to Secret Files 3 though, I'll be honest there.

Also fans of Sci-fi should really check out The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan. A few years old but though I'd mention it in the most active genre thread right now. Great universe, well-made point and click that is one of my favorites:
Perry2.jpg

PC_rhodanperry_scr4.jpg

I believe GameFly has it digital. Though it's cheaper boxed if you can find it on Amazon or in a shop.

-GJ-

Kind of on the fence for Deponia. I'm on a Mac, so I can't play a lot of games, and it looks kinda fun in the trailer. Why should (or shouldn't) I get it? Haven't played a good new point & click game in a long time (except for The Walking Dead).

Anybody played The Lost Crown: A Ghost-Hunting Adventure?
It released in 08 I think, it looks pretty interesting to me, a paranormal adventure

Pretty good; has some really poor voice acting, but a unique look about it. All is forgiven as it is one guy doing everything. There's a new one coming out soon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
he he, yea. I mean if you pick it up for a few bucks and don't mind goofy looking characters its not that bad. It's an interesting setting.

Also fans of Sci-fi should really check out The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan. A few years old but though I'd mention it in the most active genre thread right now. Great universe, well-made point and click that is one of my favorites:
Perry2.jpg

PC_rhodnperry_scr4.jpg

I believe GameFly has it digital. Though it's cheaper boxed if you can find it on Amazon or in a shop.

wow, this is what I call atmosphere. i'll look into that, thanks for posting!

RedAssedApe

Banned

Perry2.jpg

PC_rhodanperry_scr4.jpg

Thought that was roger wilco.

GhaleonQ

2 cool things from Adventure Treff:

Tour Germany and the inspiration for Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within with graphic adventure nerds: http://www.adventure-treff.de/temp/basti/ATTour_Neuschwanstein_2012.pdf

http://www.rabe-game.de http://www.adventure-treff.de/kommentar.php?newsid=5890 From King Art, the The Book Of Unwritten Tales people, comes The Raven. The thing that jumped out as me was that it's a crime tale where you play as The Raven, an art thief, and the police trying to catch him/her. Apparently, it's partially a mystery, too, which means they're going to have to reveal certain things and not others in the narrative while you play.

Apparently opinion is split on their previous game. (It's fine.) Still, this sounds innovative, despite sounding like a certain video game
I do not care for but
which I don't want to ruin for others!

VaeVictis

Just finished Deponia and must agree that the writing is terrible. And I doubt it's because of localization - the main character just comes across as incredibly smug and self-centered to even be considered a hero; although he self-references himself as one many, many times.

One other thing that stood out was the animation or better yet lack of animation. Almost everything was animated using only key-frames. Looked very sloppy against the beautiful background. It is a little on the easy and short side but was good enough for the price. Give it a try once it goes on sale.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

I second this! Played it a few years ago and didn't expect much but was pleasently surprised.

BluWacky

One other thing that stood out was the animation or better yet lack of animation. Almost everything was animated using only key-frames.

This is how Daedalic do all their games - I don't know if Dark Eye was any better on this front as I haven't bought it yet. It looks cheap, to be honest, which is unsurprising as we're talking P&C games here but still disappointing given the opulence of the background art.

Doomshine

The Immortals of Terra looks awesome but I wish it was available on Steam or GOG, I'm going to try and get a boxed copy but looks like it sold out in most places.

eXistor

The Immortals of Terra looks awesome but I wish it was available on Steam or GOG, I'm going to try and get a boxed copy but looks like it sold out in most places.
I just ordered it on amazon.co.uk and it seems amazon.com has it in stock as well. It looks interesting so I'll give it a go when it arrives.

The Book of Unwritten Tales isn't clicking with me at all. I love the humor but that's about the only thing I'm finding appealing. It's way too easy, for one thing, and I'm not getting immersed into the world at all. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer but if things don't change I'm moving on.
That's a shame, but I can see why someone would feel that way. Personally I like the fact that it isn't too difficult (it does get a bit harder further on). Except for some pixel hunting (I got stuck completely a few times because I apparently missed a clickable object that isn't obvious at all on the screen) I find myself breezing through it, but I don't feel that the puzzles are dumb or convoluted for the most part, just logical.

I'm also very pleasantly surprised that the game is pretty funny. For a game that's from Germany originally (I think at least) I'd expect a horrible translation like in all the Daedalic games like Whispered World, but it's actually hitting its mark for the most part. Don't expect the snappy and clever wordplay you've seen from the likes of Tim Schafer, but it gets the job done.

There are some really weirdly spoken lines, mostly from Wilbur, as if the actor was preparing to say his lines in the recording booth and they didn't edit the beginning out. I've heard him randomly say "yes" and then cough and then comes the line that he's supposed to say. This happened a few times already. Funny, but pretty sloppy nontheless.

Anyway, I've found myself engaged like very few PnC's manage to these days, I'm a lot further along in the game now and I'm still loving it so for what it's worth it comes highly recommended from me.

That's a shame, but I can see why someone would feel that way. Personally I like the fact that it isn't too difficult (it does get a bit harder further on). Except for some pixel hunting (I got stuck completely a few times because I apparently missed a clickable object that isn't obvious at all on the screen) I find myself breezing through it, but I don't feel that the puzzles are dumb or convoluted for the most part, just logical.

I'm also very pleasantly surprised that the game is pretty funny. For a game that's from Germany originally (I think at least) I'd expect a horrible translation like in all the Daedalic games like Whispered World, but it's actually hitting its mark for the most part. Don't expect the snappy and clever wordplay you've seen from the likes of Tim Schafer, but it gets the job done.

There are some really weirdly spoken lines, mostly from Wilbur, as if the actor was preparing to say his lines in the recording booth and they didn't edit the beginning out. I've heard him randomly say "yes" and then cough and then comes the line that he's supposed to say. This happened a few times already. Funny, but pretty sloppy nontheless.

Anyway, I've found myself engaged like very few PnC's manage to these days, I'm a lot further along in the game now and I'm still loving it so for what it's worth it comes highly recommended from me.

Honestly, I think what it is is that I'm just not entirely in the mood for an adventure game right now. I should probably set it aside for when I'm feeling it more. Wilbur has really grown on me, though. I haven't encountered any of the weirdly spoken lines you speak of but now I'm looking forward to them. All I've seen so far is the spoken parts not matching up with the subtitles. That's happened a lot with many of the characters.

It figures that game and Deponia come out at a time when I don't even feel like playing them, haha.

-GJ-

So I downloaded Deponia, but now I can't launch it because when I click on the Play button it just flashes for a second and shuts down again. I already Googled a solution, but everything I find is for the Windows version of the game and I'm on a Mac. I emailed the developer, but so far no response :/.

Primordia update, due Fall 2012.

Story:

Ages have passed since legendary Man walked the planet. Now, in the desolate wastelands beyond the city of Metropol, a solitary robot named Horatio jealously guards his freedom and independence.

All that is taken away from him when a marauding foe steals his power source, forcing him to leave the safety of his home and set out on a perilous journey into the wastes - and into his own mysterious past.

Starring the voice talents of:

Abe Goldfarb (Joey from the Blackwell series)
Logan Cunningham (Bennet from Resonance, Rucks from Bastian)
Sarah Elmaleh (Anna from Resonance)

Game Trailer.
http://youtu.be/QBNfqwt3YyQ

Ok everyone, I just noticed that Senscape developer Agustin Cordes (Scratches) has posted a teaser/demo (sort of) of his upcoming title Asylum.

Go here http://www.senscape.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1199 to read more about it and download.

I loaded it up and damn, it is a really awesome looking game. It's got me excited.

Mind you I think this is Alpha and more like a test build to get some community feedback. But it gives you a nice idea of how it plays and looks.

Also I'd like to mention that at one point Direct2Drive had Immortals of Terra for download, but I'm not sure if Gamefly is currently selling it digitally, yet. They must plan to, as it is still in my account for download. Hopefully soon they will get it up; but the boxed copies are cheap. It's definitely worth it.

Cognition looks amazing, I like the art-style. Primordia, wow. So many amazing Adventure games coming. It's a dream, isn't it?!

Perry2.jpg

PC_rhodanperry_scr4.jpg

I need to come back and thank you for this recommendation. My PC game radar has been broken and I missed this title. Played for 3 hours last night and that's the most I've played a PC game in forever. So, thank you!

PS: Are there any more adventure games sine 2008 like this? With a a rich world and great art?

Edit: And I got it for $4 delivered to my home. Amazon Prime. Wonderful, wonderful purchase.

Just a little update on the original post.
I have updated it a little bit with some more olde GAF threads of gold about point & click/adventures, they all make for good reading and cover older games/last years games, just in-case anyone has missed any stuff. I will also keep an eye out for any more and add them to OP, if I find them.
Also going to try and tidy up the OP a little bit more and of course I will post updates about new games as new posts.

u_neek

A bit of shameless self-promotion but this must be the right place to post this: I'm currently creating my very own adventure title, which will be a mix of classic point 'n click and Professor Layton-like puzzle segments, for iPhone/iPad. I kinda put the game on hold for a couple of months since I finished uni and moved to London to start a new job, but I'm now back to working on it.

Have a look and let me know what you think:

screen1_jpg_640x360_upscale_q85.jpg

screen3_jpg_640x360_upscale_q85.jpg

screen2_jpg_640x360_upscale_q85.jpg

Teaser trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSa5Wv2E9I&feature=plcp

Looks nice, can always do with more mobile point n click adventures.

Looks like Revolution Software are ready to announce their new game tomorrow.

We are madly preparing for the announce of our new game which, barring disaster, will be tomorrow at 3pm CEST

Kinda hope its not a kickstarter, BUT might see it going that way, would be more than happy to support if it was though.

A bit of shameless self-promotion but this must be the right place to post this: I'm currently creating my very own adventure title, which will be a mix of classic point 'n click and Professor Layton-like puzzle segments, for iPhone/iPad. I kinda put the game on hold for a couple of months since I finished uni and moved to London to start a new job, but I'm now back to working on it.

Have a look and let me know what you think:

Teaser trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSa5Wv2E9I&feature=plcp

That doesn't look bad at all. Looking forward to playing it.

Enlil

I am a big fan of point and click games. Full throttle...WOW

Does anyone know a list of point and click games that take place in a mansion or house? doesn't have to be scary.

Karak

Perry2.jpg

PC_rhodanperry_scr4.jpg

Perry is one of the best point and clicks in years. Beat it twice. Loved it even the second time through.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse is now on Kickstarter

a6a7a16ea50f315f981e816cdec99371_large.jpg

Revolution adventures have had considerable success - but the traditional publishing model has prevented us receiving the required royalties to fund future games. With limited financial reserves we have been unable to fund our own titles and so we have not benefited from their success. Now you can help us to change this. For the first time in our history, we will be funding an original adventure game: Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse. This will give us full creative freedom, and let us work with you. We promise to keep you up to date with all aspects of development and we will value your support.

Development of the game is going well - we hope that you like what you see. Kickstarter funding will allow us to proceed at a faster rate, and ensure the game achieves its ambitious design. Without this funding we will risk having to cut back features and delay the game's release.

Whether you are able to back this project or not, if you're a fan of the Broken Sword games then please share this with your friends so they can help make the next Broken Sword the best game yet!

Welp, there goes $100 for my most anticipated game! XD

mclem

I am a big fan of point and click games. Full throttle...WOW

Does anyone know a list of point and click games that take place in a mansion or house? doesn't have to be scary.

Off the top of my head:

Maniac Mansion (as posted)
Day of the Tentacle (the sequel)
The Uninvited
Hugo's House of Horrors
The 7th Guest/The 11th Hour (Heavy focus on Layton-esque puzzles rather than more normal adventure structure)
Phantasmagoria ( I think, anyway; not played it myself )

A lot of them are horror-based, I guess because the limitation of keeping you in one house lends itself to the idea of the house being 'the enemy', after a fashion. Even the two that aren't strictly horror there - MM and DOTT - still play with horror-movie tropes.

Top Bottom