• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but apparently Revolution Software are announcing their new Adventure Game around the end of next month, which they've confirmed to be 2D. It's been heavily speculated and hinted by Revolution/Charles Cecil to be Broken Sword 5(!).

Love me some Broken Sword, so can't wait!

Link: http://www.edge-online.com/news/revolution-software-unveil-new-adventure-next-month

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Sure Broken Sword 3 and 4 aren't brilliant classics, but I loved Sleeping Dragon's globe-trotting and Nico Collard was great as usual. Could've improved on the timing-based action parts (did they have QTEs? I forget...) but they added tension.

I never finished 4 though, got up to Istanbul and that's about it. Uncharted 2's museum reminded me of it for some reason.

squid

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Sure Broken Sword 3 and 4 aren't brilliant classics, but I loved Sleeping Dragon's globe-trotting and Nico Collard was great as usual. Could've improved on the timing-based action parts (did they have QTEs? I forget...) but they added tension.

I never finished 4 though, got up to Istanbul and that's about it. Uncharted 2's museum reminded me of it for some reason.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed 3 & 4. Probably because I'd heard bad things about them and wasn't expecting much. I loved the locations in those games, plus George was as charming and witty as ever.

I hope 5 has a better ending than those games though, since they both felt quite rushed and sudden.

I was gonna start covering (FPA's) First Person Adventure games, I'm partial to a bit of the Myst, just didn't know if people wanted them covered as well.
I may as well link to them, games like Scratches, Barrow Hill etc. are all good on atmosphere and have a degree of puzzles and investigation about them.

I linked to Stasis which is shaping up to be very nice and also The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle, very different games.

Some First Person horror Adventures due out this year.

Anna+2012-05-29+15-13-20-52.jpg

Asylum is from the creator of Scratches and looks rather creepy, as does Anna.

Juice

Okay guys thanks to this thread I have a backlog of 20 adventure games. Can anyone give me a single top recommendation for an adventure game with a really engrossing story? (more interested in story than difficulty/puzzles)

Asylum has been on my radar for a while and I cant wait for it. That Stasis game looks amazing though, I wonder how much longer we have to wait for it. I'm playing Sanitarium right now so I like the idea of another isometic adventure game

epmode

The Longest Journey
The infodump champion!

As for me, adventure games aren't so much about the plot as they are about the writing in general. Give me an interesting world and characters with good dialogue and incidental item descriptions and I'm happy! I guess I'll be boring and recommend Grim Fandango because it's still the best for that kind of thing.

Revolution Software, as we now know are set to reveal a 2D game in July.

Well they updated their facebook cover picture today to this.

269301_10151224328483858_168848174_n.jpg

sigillum militum xpisti

Looking at it myself I roughly translated it into.

BROKEN SWORD FIVE!

Seriously though, it's a seal of the knights Templar which apparently translates to "The Seal of a Soldier of Christ".

Surely can only mean more Broken Sword?

Already been mentioned in the thread before.

Phobos 1953

03_phobos1953_game2b.jpg

Well the game will be re-named for it's English release and will now be known as 1953 - KGB Unleashed
It's also been given a release date of July 6th for all leading digital distribution outlets, hopefully that includes the usual suspects.

sigillum militum xpisti

BROKEN SWORD FIVE!

Seriously though, it's a seal of the knights Templar which apparently translates to "The Seal of a Soldier of Christ".

Most definitely Broken Sword Five. HYPE!

sigillum militum xpisti

BROKEN SWORD FIVE!

Assuming it's Broken Sword 5 and that it comes out next year, 2013 is going to be one of the best years for adventure games.

Jasoneyu

So this looks awesome. But as with every adventure game produced in Germany, it all comes down to the writing and localization. Has anyone given it a go?

Just played a few minutes of the game and VO and the pacing seems... kinda off. Its hard to explain but the flow wasn't and felt kinda disjointed. At least I don't have to deal with terrible TERRIBLE VO in whispered world.

The one thing is that the art is AMAZING and i'll definately put more hours into this title.

wouwie

I'm interested in Dark eye and Deponia. However, i sort of lost my enthusiasm for adventures made in Germany. I gave up on the last 4 adventures i've bought (The Whispered World, A new beginning, Secret Files 2 and Book of unwritten tales) and never finished them.

It's strange but i find them lacking in story, gameplay and memorable characters. Also, in general, i don't find them very funny, even if they were supposed to be. Maybe it's the translation, maybe it's a difference in culture. I don't know.

I have to say though, from a graphics point of view, Daedalic is doing awesome work. Both Dark eye and Deponia look great.

ShaneB

I'll bite on Dark Eye when it's cheaper, which I hate saying :( sorry Daedalic! Same with Deponia.

I mentioned beating Gemini Rue in the Steam thread, but figure to share my thoughts here as well. Had a blast and played through in a couple sessions, so the story and setting had me hooked. The puzzles were never that obtuse, maybe a few cases of pixel hunting, but I had a lot of fun. Found the interface a little clunky however given the tiny resolution of things, and it made using the inventory items a bit of a pain sometimes.

But definitely share the praise I've heard for it, so was nice to get it out of the backlog.

I'm not sure BUT the other file I downloaded last night from the other place just keeps throwing up.
The Dark Eye Chains of Satinav Installer in not a valid Win32 application, error in my face.
Just downloading the newly linked demo, see what happens soon hopefully.

In other news I COMPLETELY forgot to list this on the kickstarters, my bad. Has -53 hours to go.

Try the demo here.

MAC

WINDOWS

LINUX

If you like, support the kickstarter $10 backing gets you copy of the game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Not really a classic point and click, but still looks good.

Pendulo look set to create a new adventure game with the help of a new crowdfunding site, GAMESPLANET LAB

Get ready for GAMESPLANET LAB.

The very first platform specifically designed for gamers eager to support innovative video games projects.

From test-tube to prototype, support and interact directly with professional studios as they develop tomorrow's gaming hits, while receiving exclusive rewards to show off your dedication!

foto_inicio640_jpg_560x290_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Day One

Team up with Pendulo Studios, the authors of RUNAWAY to create an adventure that will be more than just a game.

Will keep my eye on it.

NEW INFO and LINKS ABOVE.

are Pendulo Studios and we invite you to participate in our new challenge: Day One, a dark comedy about corruption, easy money, immorality, politics, death, DRMs and other curses of our time!

Let us introduce you to Ethan, a young and acid journalist who learns from his doctor that he’s got a terminal disease: he'll be dead before the end of the day. Back home, he finds a capsule and a note: “This will keep you alive 24 extra hours. Come to Paris for more. We’ll find you.”

Day One will feature a thrilling plot in a comic adventure game - but not your typical lighthearted one. We want to create a sarcastic comedy, funny and adult at the same time. Ethan's cynical view of life - based on his idol Ambrose Bierce, author of The Dictionary of the Devil - will give us the chance to laugh about more serious subjects. After 18 years since our first game, we're no longer kids. Please don’t misunderstand us: we still like pirate stories, however, pirates these days don’t kidnap damsels in their ships, but hire ladies of negotiable affection in five star suites. Filthy old men in underwear can be so fun!

Another KickStarter, after their Indiegogo Campagin

Jack Houston and the Necronauts is a traditional point & click graphic adventure game set in an Edgar Rice Burroughs/Frank Frazetta inspired sci-fi world of bubble helmets, rockets ‘n ray guns. You portray Jack Houston, a test pilot on the most deadly mission of his life, one that will soon become the greatest adventure human kind has ever known.

We are currently in development and will soon have some exciting news to share about the production! If you would like to support our early development, there is an IndieGogo campaign offering pre-sales of the game. We may start a more ambitious campaign at Kickstarter soon, but be assured that not only will our early IndieGogo backers receive all the same benefits, but we will also give you special recognition on our development forums (coming soon) as an “Early Bird” to show that you were one of the original backers of Warbird Games! Become a backer now and help spread the word!

They are said to be aiming for Stop Motion animation. Now if The Dream Machine is anything to go by, which does look cool and plays well, we won't see the game til 2015.

The Journey Down: Episode 1 is currently part of the Indie Royal Summer Bundle, picked it up for that and Gundemonium mainly.

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Bundle Includes.

1.Harvest: Massive Encounterfor: steam (pc, mac), windows, mac, linux, desura - more bundle info!
2.The Journey Down: Chapter Onefor: windows, mac, linux, desura
3.Serious Sam 2for: steam (pc)
4.Gundemonium Recollectionfor: steam (pc), windows, desura
5.GundeadliGnefor: steam (pc), windows, desura
6.Hitogata Happafor: steam (pc), windows, desura
7.Acceleration Of Suguri X-Editionfor: windows, desura
8.Dino Run SEfor: windows, mac, linux, desura
9.BONUS: AirMechfor: steam (beta), windows, desura

Another KickStarter, after their Indiegogo Campagin

They are said to be aiming for Stop Motion animation. Now if The Dream Machine is anything to go by, which does look cool and plays well, we won't see the game til 2015.

Just contributed to this (and another called HexIt) last night. The artwork for this one just looks so good. I'm really looking forward to it.

Revolution and Dave Gibbons to team up AFTER current projects.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...th-beneath-a-steel-sky-broken-sword-developer

"We're developing something - I really shouldn't say anything more about it - but it's something I'm quite excited about and it's in an area I don't think has been explored, and it isn't France, and it isn't Paris and it isn't catacombs," Gibbons revealed.

"With the new game I'm going to be involved from the ground up. I have had story input and the whole thing will have my imprint on it. Even if I don't hands-on do every bit of artwork, I certainly will direct the look of the whole thing."

GhaleonQ

I'm interested in Dark eye and Deponia. However, i sort of lost my enthusiasm for adventures made in Germany. I gave up on the last 4 adventures i've bought (The Whispered World, A new beginning, Secret Files 2 and Book of unwritten tales) and never finished them.

It's strange but i find them lacking in story, gameplay and memorable characters. Also, in general, i don't find them very funny, even if they were supposed to be. Maybe it's the translation, maybe it's a difference in culture. I don't know.

I have to say though, from a graphics point of view, Daedalic is doing awesome work. Both Dark eye and Deponia look great.

I can't say that Deponia will turn non-fans of that country's/studio's style, but I think it's 1 of the strongest non-elite graphic adventures of the past few years. It's totally solid and memorable in all of the ways that matter.

Deponia has been confirmed for August 7th release on Steam, that will give me some time to finish off a few others on the backlog. Good to hear what you think about it GhaleonQ, got me more excited for it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Longest Journey

does not hold up today in many ways.

truly awful puzzle design, bad VA, uninventive exposition and terribly unbelievable and often unlikable characters.

the environments kind of have a PS1-era Final Fantasy charm, though.

truly awful puzzle design, bad VA, uninventive exposition and terribly unbelievable and often unlikable characters.

I played it for the first time last year, and while most of this is true I still had a pretty great time. I really dug the world they made, and the atmosphere contained within. It was cool to see that stuff in higher resolution via Dreamfall (which has it's own issues). I'd say it's still worth checking out, even if you just play it with a FAQ to get past the early insane puzzle. Still hope Dreamfall Chapters comes out some day.

Those negatives aren't really facts, just opinion. I like the VA, and I like all the characters even Zach hehe, appreciate th adult dialogue which was big for its time. April Ryan is a well-developed character, one of the best female protagonists. Never had much trouble with the puzzles, found them creative except for the police trash can one.

My first time playing it was just a few months ago. It's a great adventure with many unexpected locations.

That AR-K game's setting reminds me of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, your mileage may vary.

I found the writing to be very... umm... I don't know the right word for it. Nothing felt natural. It was like "ok, this character needs to fulfill this function" and "this character needs to be established as stereotype X" and "this character needs to be an info-dump with little to no real relevance to the plot".

It felt like it was written by a programmer, you know? I don't know anything about the person(s) who wrote this game, granted, but it felt like a bunch of probably decent ideas presented without any real care for HOW they were communicated. It's a giant reminder, for me, that substance without any care for style is just as bad as style without substance. The complete inverse of a Michael Bay film, sort of.

edit: I'm about to try Syberia.

Top Bottom