• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

mclem

The screenshot up for DFA is only of their work in progress engine development, it's unlikely to be representative of the look of the game.

The Sea Will Claim Everything is now available as a stand-alone download (previously part of the Adventure Bundle).

Everyone should play it. It's my favorite game of the year so far.

tswce2nmd3h.jpg

tswce0xy9v.jpg

Adventure Classic Gaming said:
At first glance, the game’s cutesy, cartoony graphics and simplistic interface give the impression that this is a juvenile game designed for small children. However, it soon becomes apparent that the game is in fact a deeply political, philosophical, and even academic narrative that defies easy description. It is to adventure games what Umberto Eco’s Il nome della rosa is to murder mystery novels.
- Adventure Classic Gaming

Ooh, intriguing!

Juice

God, this thread is a treasure trove. Where have you been hiding, little point-and-click-ages? I love you. With all my heart.

GhaleonQ

God, this thread is a treasure trove. Where have you been hiding, little point-and-click-ages? I love you. With all my heart.

Adventure Gamers (skip the reviews), Adventure Treff, and Adventures Planet cover nearly everything. There are many other foreign language ones, but those are the 2 most quickly updated and their home countries produce quite a large percentage of the yearly take.

Bebpo

Banned
I really liked the demo/beta of Resonance. Have high hopes for that one.

Also started playing The Dream Machine, Botanicula, and Gemini Rue this weekend. Loving The Dream Machine & Botanicula. Gemini Rue I'm a bit lukewarm about so far in the early stages. I like the interesting combat mechanic, but not a fan of the interface/visuals/voice acting.

Fjordson

Aw, I really loved Gemini Rue. Certainly not perfect, I'd agree on the occasionally stiff voice acting and sometimes clunky interface, but I had a blast with it on the whole. Even bought the soundtrack on iTunes, heh.

I've enjoyed pretty much everything that I've played from Wadjet Eye (Blackwell Trilogy, Emerald City, Gemini Rue). Hoping Resonance is another winner for them, going to try the demo tonight.

Tiller is apparently going to kickstart a Vampyre Story game in september.

http://twitter.com/billtiller/statuses/212948809758670849

Probably smart on the wait, adventure gamers wallets are somewhat light what with DFA, Tex, Spaceventure, Moebius, QFI, LSL, Resonance etc.

Aw, I really loved Gemini Rue. Certainly not perfect, I'd agree on the occasionally stiff voice acting and sometimes clunky interface, but I had a blast with it on the whole. Even bought the soundtrack on iTunes, heh.

I've enjoyed pretty much everything that I've played from Wadjet Eye (Blackwell Trilogy, Emerald City, Gemini Rue). Hoping Resonance is another winner for them, going to try the demo tonight.

Yeah, they've had pretty decent scripts & dialogue - especially the blackwell games(there are four of them now, by the way).
Only issue I've had with Wadjet Eye games are bugs. Had problems in Gemini Rue & one of the blackwell games that made me glad I saved often. The Blackwell one actually crashed the game. Plus AGS is always finicky about whether it's going to allow me to use direct 3D filtering.

Funny thing - I bought The Anubis Gates thanks to references in one of the Blackwell games, odd thing is that I bought On Stranger Tides thanks to Monkey Island back in the day, and they're by the same author!

mclem

Tiller is apparently going to kickstart a Vampyre Story game in september.

Which does make me wonder: When will we start seeing the first effects of Kicking it Forward? I don't think I've seen a project that used it that looked likely to release and turn a profit this year, but it strikes me that, if you're in a position to pick-and-choose when to start your kickstarter, starting it at a point where you can reap some KIF funds would be smart.

Which does make me wonder: When will we start seeing the first effects of Kicking it Forward? I don't think I've seen a project that used it that looked likely to release and turn a profit this year, but it strikes me that, if you're in a position to pick-and-choose when to start your kickstarter, starting it at a point where you can reap some KIF funds would be smart.

Good question - I've never really read too much into the initiative - guess it depends on whether they wait for a full years profits, or if it just supposed to trickle.

Nice, I liked A Vampyre Story and I thought the sequel was pretty much dead.

I think the literal sequel they were working on still is due to issues with the publisher, so this is supposed to be a prequel.

Hopefully they get that off the ground at some point too.

Huh..never heard of Vampyre Story and it looks awesome. Toss another on the point 'n' click backlog :lol

lol tell me about it... the whole backlog situation is so ridiculously getting out of hand that my "point and click adventure games" backlog is existing in it's own separate bubble outside my "regular games" backlog on consoles which is already HUGE and totally getting out of hand lol...

maybe in 3 or 4 lifetimes i MIGHT be able to complete half of it or something at the current rate i am going (life, family, friends, hobbies, work etc getting in the way )

Fjordson

lol tell me about it... the whole backlog situation is so ridiculously getting out of hand that my "point and click adventure games" backlog is existing in it's own separate bubble outside my "regular games" backlog on consoles which is already HUGE and totally getting out of hand lol...

maybe in 3 or 4 lifetimes i MIGHT be able to complete half of it or something at the current rate i am going (life, family, friends, hobbies, work etc getting in the way )
:lol seriously. So many games out there I need to go back and play, and even just limiting that to point & clicks still leaves me with a huge backlog.

Finally, Resonance day today! Loved the demo, can't wait to continue the story.
Nice. How long did you play the demo for? I was honestly surprised at how long it was letting me play...which is great, but I just quit out after a bit. Didn't want to spoil myself too much, probably just going to buy the full thing today.

nny

I don't even want to think about my p'nc backlog...

Nice. How long did you play the demo for? I was honestly surprised at how long it was letting me play...which is great, but I just quit out after a bit. Didn't want to spoil myself too much, probably just going to buy the full thing today.

Hm...I can't tell exactly (3+ hours, maybe?) but it was definitely longer than I was expecting; lasted me for several play sessions. Length-wise it felt like a Telltale episode. I wonder what percentage of the full game that was: I was checking the points as I played and I think I got a third of the total? Can't recall exactly.

EDIT: This might be funny for Blackwell fans (some of them contain tiny spoilers):

http://memegenerator.net/Roseangela

22073903.jpg

For anyone wanting the game on Steam, if you buy the digital version from the Wadjet Eye website you get a Steam key.

Also, I'm thinking of making an OT for Resonance. Is there enough interest to warrant an OT though?

SparkTR

For anyone wanting the game on Steam, if you buy the digital version from the Wadjet Eye website you get a Steam key.

Also, I'm thinking of making an OT for Resonance. Is there enough interest to warrant an OT though?

I would definitely appreciate one for solutions and story discussion.

Go for it lastwindow, the more people who know about Resonance the better. Will definitely contribute when I download it later, when home.

Nice job on the Resonance OT, good job all round.

Speaking of ole Wadjet Eye, now Resonance is out the way and gonna be a massive success. Here comes another title being published by them (as well as others no doubt) and one to look out for later in the year, Q4 2012.

Ages have passed since legendary Man walked the planet. Now, in the desolate wastelands beyond the city of Metropol, a solitary robot named Horatio jealously guards his freedom and independence. All that is taken away from him when a marauding foe steals his power source, forcing him to leave the safety of his home and set out on a perilous journey into the wastes - and into his own mysterious past.

Primordia is a point-and-click adventure game that combines the challenge and depth of the classics with a streamlined interface and a player-friendly design: puzzles emphasize logical thinking and exploration, rather than trial and error or endless backtracking. The game features over fifty hand-drawn rooms to explore, dozens of distinctive characters and complex machines to interact with, and gorgeous painted cutscenes to soak in. And, as some might note, it features a sarcastic floating sidekick named Crispin

screenshot1a.png

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

Screenshot4.jpg

Screenshot5.jpg

Screenshot6.jpg

Screenshot7.jpg

Every time I read point and click adventure I wish that LA would remake some of its classics like they did MI and MI2. It never happens so a little part of me dies inside :(

Jex

Somehow I missed this whole thread. Thanks to the OP and everyone who's contributed their knowledge so far.

I would also like to thank contributors, especially for mentioning games I didn't know about or completely missed.
Will try and keep it updated and maybe post some more articles about individual games too, anything to help get some extra coverage for some games.

337420_10150584209729470_1314936725_o.jpg

414358_10150584207844470_386719485_o.jpg

The dark side of Destiny

The Black Tuesday. That is how the press rechristened that October 24th, 1929, a day in which U.S. began to face the darkest years of his history: the Great Depression years. All the great values professed by this nation vanished within a couple of months, the American dream was dead and trust in God begun to shake.
Few years had been enough for people to show their real side: false, mean and, above all, open to bribery. But the one thing I would have never imagined is how far corruption had gone; so far that somebody would actually try to bribe God.

And now here I am, a gun barrel pointed at me, a corpse on my conscience, and a young lady to protect. How could this ever happen? How is it possible that everything has stemmed from a series of coincidences?

Do you believe in Destiny?

...I don`t.

339286_260209347337546_4842052_o.jpg

Nina and Max will return in Secret Files 3. The classic PC point & click adventure features a cinematic story, a variety of locations, and much more.

It should be the happiest day of her life, but Nina’s anticipation of the upcoming marriage with Max is being clouded by terrible nightmares of an apocalypse. Could this be related to the events that took place in Tunguska? As further incidents transpire and Nina comes across some major secrets, she realizes that she has just stumbled onto a new epic adventure …

True to the tradition established by its popular predecessors Secret Files: Tunguska and Secret Files 2, the game combines an exciting story with entertaining gameplay, mental challenges, and beautiful graphics. A writing team supervised by NEOS Film is on board for the series' third installment; having already worked successfully on TV and movie productions, they will help develop the game's plot, drama, and characters.

Features:

•Sequel to the hugely successful Secret Files adventures series
•Story and characters developed by well-known film writers, who have a wealth of experience of working on TV and movie productions
•Hand-crafted visuals and cinematic cut scenes
•Challenging puzzles and riddles, that seamlessly fit into the storyline
•A plot that travels from continent to continent and even era to era

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY Revolution to announce new 2D game in July?
I hope to god it's Beneath a Steel Sky 2, although I was hearing Dave Gibbons is a very busy man and they haven't been able to get some time with him, he's still interested in (is-hopefully already) doing it.
I would still take Broken Sword V, will keep my eyes on this.

Top Bottom