• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

krYlon

Speaking of Primordia, looking like the new submission process from Valve means WadjetEye publisher needs to go through it all again.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108108057

Also DTP Publishing have put some more games up for greenlight, although alongside Gray Matter these may STILL not make Steam.

Lost Chronicles of Zerzura
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105613473

Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105769124

Haunted
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105947297

Come on Zerzura, been waiting for the English release for ages now.

Fjordson

Primordia launch trailer has me excited - http://youtu.be/0YvWQi_5fsw

I'm a big, big fan of Wadjet Eye. Granted the various developers are the reason these games are good, but Wadjet seems to have a real eye for quality. Loved Gemini Rue, loved Resonance, and I've had a lot of fun going back and playing the Blackwell games for the first time.

And the best part is their games run great on my crappy laptop =D

Wow blast from the past, paying homage to the oldies.
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold Episode 1, should be launching in January 2013.
Just clocked it on Greenlight from Replay Games (Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded devs)

308815_10151319793051388_1683224062_n.jpg

GAME TRAILER

Lotto

Rated up Fester Mudd on Greenlight. Looks great and I dig the more silly western approach it's going for rather than the solemn tone seen in most western-styled games.

wouwie

Loved the Primordia trailer. Great atmosphere, graphics, sound, voices and music. It has a bit of a Perry Rhodan vibe to it. I assume this isn't being released on iPad?

Greenlight is so good for adventure games. It's maybe my favourite genre, but I don't like buying games that aren't on Steam and historically a lot of good ones don't get to hit Steam. That's slowly starting to change.

Fjordson

Yeah, episodic gaming can be a real buzzkill. I just finished episode one of The Journey Down last night and it was fantastic. But right as things started to ramp up in the story the episode ended, and there isn't any release date in sight for episode two yet =[

Tenck

One to look out for is Botanicula by Amanita Design, the developers of Machinarium. And speaking of Kickstarter, there was one that ended last year that was for a point-and-click adventure called Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller which has involvement from Jane Jensen.

Yes Botanicula!! Loved it so damn much.

Yes Botanicula!! Loved it so damn much.

Almost forgot about this one... god SO many P&Cs again, i LOVE it but so little time to check them out :( i am currently trudging through the very first Broken Sword on PC, never played it and though i am really enjoying it it takes me like 2 months probably to beat it since i have almost no time to play right now!
Glad the genre is kind of rejuvenating though these days :)

vareon

I want to start The Longest Journey but the stretching was kinda unbearable and playing it in windowed screws up my other windows. Is there any way around this or I just gotta deal with it?

epmode

I want to start The Longest Journey but the stretching was kinda unbearable and playing it in windowed screws up my other windows. Is there any way around this or I just gotta deal with it?

Set your video card to either not stretch at all or just stretch to the correct aspect ratio. You're going to get black borders on the side of the screen but it's infinitely better than a stretched image.

With an Nvidia card and Windows 7, right click an empty area of the desktop, go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Adjust Desktop Size and Position > No Scaling (or Aspect Ratio)

Wonderful. I just played through The Book of Unwritten Tales a few weeks ago and it was hands down one of the best modern adventure games I've ever played. Hopefully this will continue that trend.

Another one i need to get to... how was the translation though since the original is in German?

I'm currently playing through The Next BIG Thing and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not the most witty game in the world, but it's set in a cool world with good puzzles.

Another one i need to get to... how was the translation though since the original is in German?

It was okay I guess. There are times when they break the 4th wall or stretch out a joke longer than it needs to be though. For example, they constantly poke fun at MMORPGs (and specifically wow) in the game. It's kind of amusing the first couple of times but they just keep on doing it until you will just roll your eyes at the 'jokes'.

I don't know how it compares to the original writing but I will still say that it's one of the best modern adventures I've played, and it's worth playing through regardless of how the translation turned out.

I'm currently playing through The Next BIG Thing and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not the most witty game in the world, but it's set in a cool world with good puzzles.

Let us know what you think of the game after you cross this part.

epmode

I don't think it's written very well. It's not bad or anything but it's nowhere near the best in the genre.

It's nice that Germany is so involved in adventure game development but these dialogue-heavy games might as well not exist for an English audience without a top-notch localization.

vareon

Alright, I decided to scrap TLJ for a while and started Gemini Rue. I expect good things here.

Ahahahah. Oooooh that part.

I watched my girlfriend played this part and we have like no clue what to do for ages.

I finished Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis over the weekend. While the last part of the game tested my patience with a very open-ended area to explore and solve puzzles in, the climax of the story was amazing. Easily on par with the ending of the best Indy movies.

Girlfriend and I clicked around like idiots for about 5 minutes then used a guide. Neither of us had a clue :p

Just on the last bit of the game now, I would assume, and overall my impression of it has gone up after that chapter as a whole. Despite that puzzle being very weird, it was a really cool section and the highlight so far!

Ahahahah. Oooooh that part.

I watched my girlfriend played this part and we have like no clue what to do for ages.

Ha, wow. Snap!

Adventure games really are the best gaming experience for couples, I think. Don't get me wrong my missus and I love co-oping in Borderlands, Gears of War etc but yeah, it doesn't surprise me it's the genre couples play with their significant other the most.

Tizoc

Just bought the Pendulo adventure pack on Steam and Resonance :D

Mind listing what sales are on Steam for PnC games?

Will get Book of Unwritten Tales later tonight, thanks for the heads up.
Also...I feel bad for getting Blackwell Bundle off GoG.com for less than $10...should've gone with Botanicula and get the Bundle off Steam for $10 >o<.
Then again...I dunno if I'd like Botanicula, one review mentioned that you're gonna be doing a lot of clicking to find stuff.
I'd like more impressions on it please.

Book of Unwritten is 33% off (£12), which is still a bit too much for me atm.

The other games I have on my wish list are Deponia (50%, £8), Chaos on Deponia (no sale) and The Dark Eye: Chain of Satinav (50%, £8).

The Steam page is down so I can't list ones not on my wish list :( I will be buying all of the above on the Christmas sale, I think!

Botanicula is a lovely game. There's no dialog and yet it manages to tell a story just through the animations and expressions and simple gameplay. It has beautiful music and looks absolutely fantastic too. At 5$ it's a no brainer honestly. This is as close as you can come to a meeting point in the 'games can be art' debate.

If you like Machinarium, you will like this game too. If you didn't like Machinarium, then you have no soul and you are emotionally dead.

Tizoc

Botanicula is a lovely game. There's no dialog and yet it manages to tell a story just through the animations and expressions and simple gameplay. It has beautiful music and looks absolutely fantastic too. At 5$ it's a no brainer honestly. This is as close as you can come to a meeting point in the 'games can be art' debate.

If you like Machinarium, you will like this game too. If you didn't like Machinarium, then you have no soul and you are emotionally dead.

...but I like Machinarium!

STEAM SALE IS OVER BUT WILL KEEP THESE PRICES AND GAMES UP FOR FUTURE DISCOUNT REFERENCE

Adventure games discounts from Steam, will try and list the ones I know of, just click for prices as they will vary per region.

I will try and update this post, just click on the pics.

Always worth mentioning the golden rule of wait for the flash/daily sales, if the game doesn't pop up on flash/daily sales then buy it on last day of sale.

steamsale.png

Bundles/Packs

The Ankh Pack 80% off

Includes
Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris
Ankh 3: Battle of the Gods

The Broken Sword Trilogy - 80% off -

Includes
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon

Pendulo Adventure Pack - 75% off -

Includes
Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle
Runaway: A Twist of Fate
The Next BIG Thing
Yesterday

The Sherlock Holmes Collection -75% off-

Includes
Sherlock Holmes: Nemisis
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened Re-mastered Edition
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of The Mummy
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring

Still Life Bundle - 75% off-

Includes.
Still Life
Still Life 2

Syberia Bundle - 75% off-

Includes.
Syberia
Syberia II

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall 60% off

Includes
The Longest Joruney
Dreamfall

The Dream Machine All Chapters 60% off

Includes
Chapter 1 (Out Now)
Chapter 2 (Out Now)
Chapter 2 (Out Now)
Chapter 4 (Coming Soon)
Chapter 5 (Coming Soon
)

LucasArts Adventure Pack 50% off

Includes
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
The Dig

Bone Complete Bundle 50% off

Includes
Bone: Out From Boneville
Bone: The Great Cow Race

Wallace and Grommit's Grand Adventures 50% off

Includes
Wallace & Gromit&#8217;s Grand Adventures, Episode 1: Fright of the Bumblebees
Wallace & Gromit&#8217;s Grand Adventures, Episode 2: The Last Resort
Wallace & Gromit&#8217;s Grand Adventures, Episode 3: Muzzled!
Wallace & Gromit&#8217;s Grand Adventures, Episode 4: The Bogey Man

The Blackwell Bundle 50% off

Includes
The Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
Blackwell Convergence
Blackwell Deception

Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle 50% off

Includes
The Secret of Monkey Island
The Secret of Monkey Island 2

Sam & Max Complete Pack 50% off

Includes.
Season 1
Season 2
The Devil's Playhouse

The Walking Dead - Full Season - 25% off -

Games

Jack Keane 80% off

Dark Fall: Lost Souls - 80% off -

Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack 75% off

Post Mortem 75% off (Still Life prequel)

Trauma -75% off-

Kaptain Brawe: A Brave New World -75% off-

Ceville 75% off

Jolly Rover 75% off

Culpa Innata 70% off

Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery EP 60% off

Emerald City Confidential 60% off

Axel & Pixel 50% off

Deponia 50% off

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes 50% off (Demo Available)

Gemini Rue 50% off

Resonance 50% off

Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement. 50% off

Secret Files Tunguska 50% off

Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis 50% off

Secret Files 3 50% off

Machinarium 50% off

Botanicula 50% off

Samorost2 50% off

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav 50% off

Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack 50% off

Back to the Future: The Game 50% off

The Whispered World 50% off

Hector Badge of Carnage Full Series 50% off

Lost Horizon 50% off (demo available)

Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual 50% off

Dracula Origin 50% off

Mata Hari 50% off

Alter Ego 50% off

Alternativa 40% off

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes 33% off

The Book of Unwritten Tales 33% off

King's Quest Collection 25% off

Space Quest Collection 25% off

Tizoc

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

OK which of these are NOT Horror themed? I've already got an idea of what I want, but I don't like Horror type games very much (Getting WD because I like the comic and heard good things about it)

EDIT: ...and what's the verdict on the Secret Files games? Want to hear impressions about them.

inm8num2

Thank you, Family Fry, for that wonderful collection of the adventure games on sale. It will save many people a lot of time.

Tizoc

BTW I already own The Dig on disc, is there a way I can, I dunno give The Dig in my Steam collection to someone else?

Top Bottom