• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

yamaci17

the myths were debunked. sony had nothing to do with it. Kojima san was too lazy to port
teuOyNa.png

Mr.ODST

So does this sound like he refused the 3 years after the initial contract has ended and wanted the title permanent on PlayStation with feature and content parity etc.

I think maybe Phil would of pushed gamepass on PlayStation or to take some of the exclusive titles from PlayStation in return for COD?

Either way, it will be MS's IP at some point so up to them what they do with it.

Lasha

Of course; Sony wanted their stranglehold from the PS2 to continue. I believe Microsoft tried something similar last generation, which ended up impacting some indies.

For me, Ryan's comments read like an admission that Call of Duty is foundationally important to them. Dollars wise, sure, that's obvious. But, I think it goes deeper: how many PSN subs do they have thanks to Call of Duty alone? Those subs pack long tail incentives for Sony - you already play COD on PS, might as well play everything else on PS, too, since you're paying for it. That drives additional game sales, additional DLC sales, incentives friends to buy PlayStation, etc. I think Ryan sees that if Microsoft pulls CoD, they'll lose their biggest long term install base driver. I could be completely wrong, however.

100% right. The elephant in the room is that Sony is fighting for the right to have other IP prop up it's business. It's case falls flat because Nintendo is proof that good IP alone is enough to sustain a games company. Sony doesn't want competition it wants to protect the status quo.

Stooky

Jims statement says to me that Phill is using COD for bargaining chips to get Playstation games on Xbox/games pass. He would be bad business man if he didn't.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Glad Jim Ryan is calling out Phil Spencer on his phony bullshit slight of hand everyone could see right through

But I thought Sony and all its owners thought that theres no way COD wouldnt be on playstation, and all the Xbox fans were wrong in saying it would only be on playstation for a few years?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But I thought Sony and all its owners thought that theres no way COD wouldnt be on playstation, and all the Xbox fans were wrong in saying it would only be on playstation for a few years?

In business, if it isn't in writing (and therefore legally enforceable) a guarantee isn't worth shit. Its PR.

Trusting Microsoft is not an option.

Leyasu

Banned
In business, if it isn't in writing (and therefore legally enforceable) a guarantee isn't worth shit. Its PR.

Trusting Microsoft is not an option.
Not so long ago everyone was jumping up and down saying that COD would remain on PlayStation because of some statements put out by Microsoft.

Trusting people seems to depend on the day and whether or not it is the message that they want to hear.

They’ll get what they’re given.

What Sony needs to do is develop the alternative and work out what it’s doing with Destiny 2.
Develop an alternative? To COD? that's not going to be easy and would take 5 years or more to build something to compete with COD. If you meant something else disregard.

SteadyEvo

An opportunity for Sony to revive Socom and blow tired ass COD out of the water. That or a new Ip. Either way I don’t care cause blops2 was peak cod for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's literally in writing. Not sure what the problem is.

The 3 year term may be in writing, but its inadequate in Sony's view as a guarantee of future support.

Not surprising at all really as there's a lot of money involved and 3 years really isn't that much of a window for Sony to react when/should conditions change.

Bottom line is that neither company is in the business of doing their competition any favours. It's understood.

If making this public gets them a better deal on the IP, impedes MS' acquisition plans, or just scores some cheap PR by making Phil look like he's speaking out of both sides of his mouth... it's a win for Sony.

GymWolf

Is jim fucked in the mind? He has no power in deciding what bread crumbs M is gonna leave to him, nor M should give a fuck about sony clients not getting the best offer.

Jesus i hope phil eat his words and jim doesn't even get cod for the next 3 years so instead of inadeguate, the offer is gonna be inexistent.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Felt the same after selling the Series S. My home is now Microsoft-free and free of Gamepass drama.

No next-gen Quake though. :lollipop_crying:
I’m keeping my S just because I’ve got Game Pass until 2024 and it pulls much less power compared to my PS5.

Still hope the dream comes true and Nintendo allow an xCloud app on their handhelds. I’d get rid of my Xbox same day.

The 3 year term may be in writing, but its inadequate in Sony's view as a guarantee of future support.
It's 3 years on top of the current deal, so likely until 2028. That's plenty of time for Jimbo to adjust and a very fair offer from Uncle Phil, considering that he also promised feature parity.

tommib

I’m keeping my S just because I’ve got Game Pass until 2024 and it pulls much less power compared to my PS5.

Still hope the dream comes true and Nintendo allow an xCloud app on their handhelds. I’d get rid of my Xbox same day.
Have you tried xCloud on your phone? I did some trial a few months ago on my iPhone with the Razer Kishi and it’s fine for non-competitive games. I wanted to try 12 minutes and actually finished it on the same day.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Have you tried xCloud on your phone? I did some trial a few months ago on my iPhone with the Razer Kishi and it’s fine for non-competitive games. I wanted to try 12 minutes and actually finished it on the same day.
I have and it’s been ok but I’m using an iPhone SE. Need to get something with a bigger screen/Oled screen before I’d contemplate it full time (y) love the look of the backbone;

cfaulkner_220721_5344_0001.0.jpg

Last edited:

tommib

I have and it’s been ok but I’m issuing an iPhone SE. Need to get something with a bigger screen/Oled screen before I’d contemplate it full time (y) love the look of the backbone;

cfaulkner_220721_5344_0001.0.jpg
Yeah, I got the Kishi because I’m on a 11 Pro Max which kind of kicks ass for mobile gaming.

By the way, shut up Jim! The more you talk, the less Quake reboot I see on my PS5. Damn these boys.

supernova8

Banned
Timed exclusivity ≠ buying the company outright

Plus, I've gone into great detail before, but practically every acquisition Playstation (SIE) has made to date (with the exception of Bungie, which I think only happened because Microsoft started buying up companies) has started with a close partnership to make exclusive (or almost exclusive) games for Playstation followed (often a few years later) an offer from Sony to buy them outright.

People keep bringing up Final Fantasy but look.. Xbox 360 had Final Fantasy 13 the same day as PS3 (except in Japan), Xbox One had Final Fantasy 15 the same day as PS4 worldwide (including Japan). Whatever Square Enix decided to do before and after that is up to them. They are not owned by Sony/SIE and they can choose where they want to put their games (as it should be).

If Microsoft (and by extension) failed to woo/win over Japanese game companies then tough shit that's their problem. Plenty of American companies in lots of different industries have done absolutely fine in Japan. Remember SEGA wasn't even a Japanese company to start with. They worked it, it's nobody else's fault except Microsoft's that they fudged their Japan launch (with the absolutely gigantic Xbox and mammoth controller that nobody in Japan liked).

The bullshit conflation is hilarious. It's like how Manchester United thrived by having a solid academy, lots of good players coming up the ranks, supplemented by a few high flyers here and there. Then Manchester City gets taken over by an Arab gazillionaire and suddenly starts buying up all the best players. No wonder they get accused of buying their way to premier league success. This simply feels the same.

Beyond that, we all know Microsoft is going to make Call of Duty exclusive once they successfully ActiBliz. What's stupid is how they are being slippery with the wording and pretending that everything is fine and that nothing will change. We know it will change otherwise why would they bother spending $70b on it?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's 3 years on top of the current deal, so likely until 2028. That's plenty of time for Jimbo to adjust and a very fair offer from Uncle Phil, considering that he also promised feature parity.

Current deal is irrelevant as they have already paid for that, and frankly MS has no say in it.

Microsoft should just pull the plug on COD on Playstation. Microsoft offered contractual obligations and additional 3 years of parity. They should just retract 3 years parity offering and leave just the contractual obligations. Sony is not able to prove that COD is important for them or essential even, as Nintendo Switch exists.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
And they can still do that?
I just said it to point out how important game it is. It's not just another exclusive. Of course they can buy Xbox to play it, you are right. This is an ethical thing, consumers and Microsoft can do however they see fit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's not true, MS could simply breach the contract, pay a fine and be done with it. Of course they would never do that, but it's possible in theory.

Breaching a no-doubt multi-million dollar standing contract would be an extraordinarily bad move. They'd get sued to hell and back for damages, loss-of-earnings, and with a well-funded conglomerate like Sony they'd risk being tied up in litigation for years, which in turn could have negative impacts on other business dealings as it would show their flagrant bad-faith.

MS have a track record for bullying smaller companies into submission, but taking on Sony would be reckless to say the least. Not saying they couldn't try and nullify the deal in some way, but the potential liability would be so huge that I doubt they'd consider it a worthwhile fight.

Bear in mind MS is wealthy enough to just wait it out. Its not a deal-breaker for them that they have to share the IP for the next few years, its merely an inconvenience. So why expose themselves? Spite isn't a good reason.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The fucking LUNACY that is going on in this thread.

Bought some??

Top 20 best-selling games from 2010 through 2019 in the U.S.​

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  4. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  6. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Minecraft
  11. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  13. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  14. Mario Kart 8
  15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Look at what Microsoft bought, and people downplay it LIKE ITS NOTHING. LOL

It's sad that they can't make them, but can buy them. Shit business practices and they should be blocked, was it Sony, Amazon, Google or fucking Meta, it should be blocked.
What if Sony bought Rockstar, would that even it out for you?

Honestly, this is business, who the fuck cares? If you are so annoyed about it and cannot live without Call of Duty then buy an Xbox in a few years or a PC.

Sony have plenty to compete with still, my PS5 has many years of gaming ahead on it, even if they didn't release any new games my backlog is so ridiculous.

People need to chill the fuck out honestly, these are just games.

Breaching a no-doubt multi-million dollar standing contract would be an extraordinarily bad move. They'd get sued to hell and back for damages, loss-of-earnings, and with a well-funded conglomerate like Sony they'd risk being tied up in litigation for years, which in turn could have negative impacts on other business dealings as it would show their flagrant bad-faith.

MS have a track record for bullying smaller companies into submission, but taking on Sony would be reckless to say the least. Not saying they couldn't try and nullify the deal in some way, but the potential liability would be so huge that I doubt they'd consider it a worthwhile fight.

Bear in mind MS is wealthy enough to just wait it out. Its not a deal-breaker for them that they have to share the IP for the next few years, its merely an inconvenience. So why expose themselves? Spite isn't a good reason.
That's why I said "of course they'd never do that". It would be a stupid decision.

Top Bottom