• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Cyberpunkd

I mean what can they do? It'll go exclusive in 3 years and I don't see how Sony will avert that. Competition like this can be healthy though. And spur Sony to get off their ass and start showcasing dope ass games again.

I expect the new bungie IP just became a PS5 exclusive though with this drama.
Sony will try and block the Activision acquisition by arguing CoD is a human right and you cannot let PS players go without it.

Markio128

Yes but that's a done deal. This three year offer is seperate.
Fair enough. Still, calling out MS on what they deem as an inadequate deal could still throw a spanner in the works, particularly if those bodies allowing the deal to go through had a different understanding of the matter?

Whatever the case, you can’t beat a bit of drama. Ironically, I don’t even play COD anymore, so I couldn’t care less either way 😂

DaGwaphics

Well 3 years is better than no years, not sure how denouncing it is going to help your cause going forward.

This could very well be what MS was hopping for. Now it is public record that MS made an offer that Sony deemed inadequate. Sony rejecting an offer because they weren't satisfied with what they were offered is probably an okay look for MS.

yurinka

Well They also said they believed in generation. This is bullshit.
In the 'we believe in generations' interview he said they were going to continue supporting PS4 years after the PS5 release. He never said there or anywhere else that they wouldn't avoid making crossgen games or that would stop making games for PS4.

Wasn’t Phil going on about how exclusives need to stop and are unfair to gamers? Then Microsoft buys the biggest company in the world for their franchises and then the most popular game in the world will probably go exclusive in a few years on Microsoft’s console. Hmmmm…..

Last edited:

Fredrik

The fact that you are trying to justify what Microsoft is doing says a lot. You aren’t putting a position forward for all gamers, you are defending a position that will exclude groups of gamers permanently.
Listen, I just don’t think Sony is some knight in shining armour here, they’ve pulled some real douche moves and they’ve been excluding gamers with exclusive deals the last decade or so. And Sony literally bought the biggest european publisher when they started Playstation.
You reap what you sow.

I’m not justifying anything MS are doing though, but I like that the cat out the bag on their plans so people can plan ahead, being vague is a shitty thing when people are having increasing costs in their lives and might not be able to have multiple consoles.

Sony is big though, they can handle getting some heat on their ass, no need to worry there, they’ll just do better when they’re getting concerned. Nintendo should get some heat as well, they’re clearly sleeping.

DaGwaphics

Doesn't really work well when they've been leading us to believe COD would remain on PS indefinitley

And they still have never said any different. But, hey if the marketing deal and all the perks with that, early access and bonus content etc. swing to Xbox, well MS made an offer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Although I do question MS's ability to make any offers to anyone before the deal is closed. Maybe some kind of letter of intent or something like that, not something that the two sides could negotiate on or even put Ryan in a position to reject. So, basically just some PR BS from Ryan.

Last edited:

kapshin

Wasn’t Phil going on about how exclusives need to stop and are evil and unfair to gamers? Then Microsoft buys the biggest company in the world for their franchises and then the most popular game is the world will probably go exclusive in a few years.
So let me tell you how corporations work....

Markio128

Wasn’t Phil going on about how exclusives need to stop and are evil and unfair to gamers? Then Microsoft buys the biggest company in the world for their franchises and then the most popular game is the world will probably go exclusive in a few years.
You Got It Yes GIF by CBC

It's literally in the Resident Evil 8 contract that came out during the Epic lawsuit.
First, it was a rumor on twitter and its not even confirmed to be true. Second: Capcom has made several contracts with Sony, and they could not agree with that part of the deal they are 3 party they had no obligation to Sony in that regard but they signed the deal, so they where ok with it. Three: the game came out the same time on Xbox, so why would Capcom bring the game out only Gamepass, perhaps they did not want to do that.. Whe dont know if MS would pay a big fee to bring it only on Gamepass cous the game is already on Xbox... And even if the deal was made, you would have seen the game on gamepass already ore the anouncement from MS that the game will be on gamepass very soon.
There are to many unknows to make your statement the truth

Last edited:

Fredrik

If you don’t know the difference then this conversation is pointless. Permanently is based on facts. Essentially is you doing some mental gymnastics.

Sony HAVE NOT taken away a series from Xbox forever.

Xbox will be doing that.

That is factual and unarguable.
Xbox will be doing that? Okay fine, let’s say they’re taking away Hellblade 2 and The Elder Scrolls VI.
How can you know that it’s permanent?
Stranger things has happened than 1st party devs releasing games on more platforms. Do we know that Bungie will permanently release games on Xbox? Do we know that Minecraft will permanently exist on Playstation?
I don’t see how we can know this. I think we only know for sure what will happen as far ahead as they announce things.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

These suits are never telling you the whole truth. MS doesn’t consider their games exclusives because they’re also on PC and cloud.

Sometimes you just need to let people hang themselves.

I'm literally blown away Jim mentioned the exact number of years. That's a major rookie mistake that triggers necessary context and comparisons that are very damaging to those hoping to prevent mergers and acquisitions from taking place. Now it becomes possible as a result of Jim Ryan's own mentioning of the exact number of years. Pay close attention Phil didn't mention exactly how long it was. That was by design, and it seems to me like Jim stepped into one big time, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting torn apart by Sony's lawyers right now, and fairly soon after Sony higher ups when they realize what a mistake this was through the lawyers or from their own understanding.

There are people at my job whose main responsibility is stuff like this, and you never mention an exact number of years. It allows a previously restricted Microsoft to, in light of more specific terms being publicly exposed, something Phil carefully stayed away from as far as specifics are concerned, to open up a bit more and bring into discussions with regulators things Microsoft knows about Sony's deals and operations as a means of defending themselves by means of direct comparisons which can showcase how fair Microsoft is actually being by industry standards. My understanding is there was a level of restriction that Microsoft would have with regards to how far they could push that angle even on a deeper look. Jim allows Sony to be more than just a helpless victim in deeper phase 2 talks, and could now be getting kicked around without the ability to respond or know what's taking place till CMA is satisfied they've done their due diligence and just relents rather than fighting the matter.

Jim clearly believes that Phil opened up an opportunity for him to mention the number of years, and so he must think it works in his favor, but therein lies the trap. Mentioning the years ONLY helps Microsoft, not Sony. Sony's greatest weapon was some level of obscurity and scare tactics about the outcome.

He should have simply said it wasn't adequate and say other things along the lines of COD could be leaving Playstation and this is bad for our customers. Worst case scenario he just turned this whole thing into a situation where COD being exclusive to Xbox consoles and PC is now an actually acceptable outcome, and now the discussion is just about for how long will it be before Microsoft is allowed to do any such thing.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Last place.

I mean.... they are a console. They got that much right
They are considered one of the big 3. They have enough pull in the market to influence it as it is now. The concern is the acquisition could give them an unfair advantage to cause harm to fair competition.

Ozriel

M$FT
I exaggerated a little, but I’m pretty sure I remember him saying games should not be tied to a plastic box or something like that and counter what gaming is all about. Unless I misunderstood, to me that sounds like he doesn’t like the idea of exclusives being tied to a particular platform.

https://wccftech.com/xbox-phil-spencer-next-gen-exclusives-counter-to-what-gaming-is-about/amp/

Well yes. He puts his games on PC and on any display via cloud streaming.

Isn’t that incredibly clear?

jaysius

Banned
The way COD is going I think this is more of a blessing than anything, who knows though maybe this year's edition might bring the series back to being good again?

Last time I had fun with it was Cold War.

Without having all the details, aren’t these kinds of ‘deals’ confidential?

Also, I’m pretty sure Phil pulled it into the public forum because PlayStation players were clearly concerned that the game wouldn’t be available on the platform and they wanted some clarification. It must be pretty difficult to just ignore that kind of shit I imagine. With that in mind, I can understand why he made the decision to be a bit more public.

Regardless of whatever the intentions were at Xbox, you’d have to be pretty naive to think that the game wouldn’t become an Xbox (platform) exclusive at some point in the future.

If Jim doesn’t like it then maybe he should put some focus on growing the variety of games available on PlayStation such as multiplayer shooters rather than superhero games and third person action adventure titles. I mean, isn’t that a huge part of his job?

When does the current contract end? So it won’t be exclusive for maybe another 10 years? So much could change by then lmao

ManaByte

Gold Member
I exaggerated a little, but I’m pretty sure I remember him saying games should not be tied to a plastic box or something like that and counter what gaming is all about. Unless I misunderstood, to me that sounds like he doesn’t like the idea of exclusives being tied to a particular platform.

https://wccftech.com/xbox-phil-spencer-next-gen-exclusives-counter-to-what-gaming-is-about/amp/

No he was talking about things like locking Destiny Strikes and weapons to one platform. Not the game itself, but content like Hogwarts Legacy quests or NBA 2K23 MyTeam challenges.

Kagey K

Banned
When does the current contract end? So it won’t be exclusive for maybe another 10 years? So much could change by then lmao
There's 2 games left before it expires. With rumors that it's skipping next year the current deal would run to '25. If it doesn't skip next year it'll end in '24.

Sony should just make a large offer for EA games I would be happy for a remake of Red alert 2 and would love a battlefield game based on command and conquer universe. Also would love a remake of Road Rash aswell

There's 2 games left before it expires. With rumors that it's skipping next year the current deal would run to '25. If it doesn't skip next year it'll end in '24.

So with MS's current commitment Sony is looking at no COD on PS consoles after 2028?

Top Bottom