• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Studios Steam Page is up

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This is the first step in making everything right

Sony games without having to deal with crappy sony hardware is the dream

Jim Ryan is the man.....the man with the plan....dollars signs in his eyes and no lines in the sand....he'll go to any platform....dick in hand....throw it down on the table....soon everywhere will be sonyland

Papacheeks

Banned
They could load everything in vram (19.5 Gbps )on my 3090 screw I/O

Doesn't work like that once you've made the changes in the games engine. The data to keep imprint small has compressor/decompress chip that does this on the fly as data is being requested. So you need a really beefy cpu to dedicate cores to do this work that's as fast if not faster.

Got to think about the flow of data and how it travels.

The more you try and use the CPU the more you are making the travel time increase for information being requested.

Which is why so far Sony hasn't signed off on any SSD for added slot on PS5.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Childish comment since it'll come out years later and they've only released PS4 games. PS5 exclusives like Ratchet & Clank require the ultra fast SSD so until the day every PC has one standard, don't expect many PS5 exclusives on PC.
Ratchet and clank doesn’t need anything special to work. 8 gigs of system ram and 8 gigs of vram can .. at the least... simulate any bandwidth differences. If that’s even needed. It’s more software trickery than hardware.

Last edited:
Sony games without having to deal with crappy sony hardware is the dream
giphy.gif

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Maybe Jimbo really does believe in generations, dumping the PS4 user base for the PC user base.

Papacheeks

Banned
Loading those assets still needs to be decompressed. Consoles are ahead in decompression and whatnot, PC isn't there yet according to Microsoft's DirectStorage engineer.
fh6Gwhe.png

ntmYRqs.png

SDEJ3tC.png

Yea, I remember Matt over at era he works in games. He was saying one of his developer buddies he talks to was saying it felt like Sony developed something 4 years in the future. In terms of the SSD/IO solution.

Kenpachii

Loading those assets still needs to be decompressed. Consoles are ahead in decompression and whatnot, PC isn't there yet according to Microsoft's DirectStorage engineer.

fh6Gwhe.png

ntmYRqs.png

SDEJ3tC.png

PC is there, its just the software nobody bothered to write isn't there yet. Because nobody asked for it.

Even today there hasn't been a single game in existence that needs it. So why bother.

Great microsoft and nviida are busy improving. however does anybody care on PC? not really.

Last edited:
Some people have this weird notion that PC players are missing out from ps5 I/O, yet there are no games that require those speeds, not even on ps5.

And then you have the kinda person who pretends directstorage and RTX I/O weren't announced already, and PC is now doomed.

To anyone who resonate with either of those, can you show me any game in which the ps5 version performs better than the PC counterpart? Ex: resolution, framerate, raytracing, etc.

Haggard

Banned
Some people have this weird notion that PC players are missing out from ps5 I/O, yet there are no games that require those speeds, not even on ps5.
Well, there is R&C with its level swap mechanic. Loading and uncompressing ~5+gb of assets in ~1-2 seconds is rather impressive and pretty much impossible without such an I/O architecture.

And then you have the kinda person who pretends directstorage and RTX I/O weren't announced already, and PC is now doomed.
Yep. MS afaik is still targeting 2021 for its Direct Storage API.
Do we actually know if RTX I/O will release simultaneously or will that take longer?

Last edited:
Well, there is R&C with its level swap mechanic. Loading and uncompressing ~5+gb of assets in ~1-2 seconds is pretty impressive.

Yep. MS afaik is still targeting 2021 for its Direct Storage API.
Do we actually know if RTX I/O will release simultaneously or will that take longer?
Did they say 5+gbps? Got a link when any proof? I'm tired of ppl throwing around numbers they don't know (not saying you are guilty of this, but don't bother replying if you can't provide a link/quote/proof).

We don't know, but it hasn't been needed, and there are no games that suffer because the lack of it on PC. That was my whole point.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm all for Sony releasing a large chunk of their old PS4 catalog on the PC, why the hell not? If that brings us closer to that Bloodborne 4k/60 fix, what's not to rike?

But this will be all done to promote franchises getting sequels on the PS5, I somehow don't think Sony wants to kill their hardware.

Yeah, but it doesn’t matter when you play the games.

But of course it does. As a fan of Sony first-party output and a follower of the industry, are you really willing to add YEARS to every game's release date in a best-case scenario?

If anyone feels ok with that - seems to me like you're not really into it.

All good, I'm sure PC gamers will have a blast catching up with God of War 2018 in RTX while I'm playing Ragnarok on the PS5.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I'm all for Sony releasing a large chunk of their old PS4 catalog on the PC, why the hell not? If that brings us closer to that Bloodborne 4k/60 fix, what's not to rike?

But this will be all done to promote franchises getting sequels on the PS5, I somehow don't think Sony wants to kill their hardware.

But of course it does. As a fan of Sony first-party output and a follower of the industry, are you really willing to add YEARS to every game's release date in a best-case scenario?

All good, I'm sure PC gamers will have a blast catching up with God of War 2018 in RTX while I'm playing Ragnarok on the PS5.
You think pc gamers don’t own a PS5 lol

SSfox

They should've just patch the game for PS5 instead.

What they're doing is good strat for short term, but bad for long terms.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
They should've just patch the game for PS5 instead.

What they're doing is good strat for shot term, but bad for long terms.

We'll just wait and see, I'm not worried. My bet is still on them on putting games out on PC that have sequels incoming exclusive to the PS5, releasing GoW in line with Ragnarok should be telling.

If we're truly in for a streaming-only future Playstation will become a software publisher and peripheral brand by the end of this decade anyway.

Bryank75

Banned
Just last gen stuff....

I strongly believe GOW, Uncharted, TLOU, Spider-man and Ghost should not go to other platforms even if they are last gen though.

You don't see Nintendo doing this and Animal Crossing just sold tens of millions without this risky PC play....

It's a really stupid strategy if you ask me. If they keep doing this, I'll stop buying exclusives day 1....I'll just wait for a sale.

sircaw

Banned
No reason to have a PS5 if everything goes to the PC with better graphics.
So true, especially with how now you can pick up a monstrous game pc on the cheap.

I mean I just bought a 3080 and a ryzen 7 for 350 quid, next week a Ferrari.

That magic money tree i planted in my backyard last week really is paying dividends.

Jaysen

Banned
You too can experience the mediocrity that is Zero Dawn, Hell Divers, and Days Gone. Release the good shit, Sony.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
But you started the page about Starfield being exclusive to Xbox / PC......

Why are people celebrating one being exclusive and then also celebrating PS4 exclusives going to PC?

There is no consistency here except shitting on PlayStation whenever the chance presents itself it seems.....
The rat has been caught, let's see the explanation for this one.

bullshit detector engaging. "lollipop_disappointed:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You people are forgetting one of the pros of gaming console, is that its affordable for most consumer, even with scalpers price

Another thing is the simplicity of the platform itself.
All gaming console does is play games, which is why i prefer gaming console over a PC, PC seems to have more issues, at least for me all these years.

Last edited:
You people are forgetting one of the pros of gaming console, is that its affordable for most consumer, even with scalpers price

Another thing is the simplicity of the platform itself.
All gaming console does is play games, which is why i prefer gaming console over a PC, PC seems to have more issues, at least for me all these years.
giphy.gif

I love how this thread is full with people who are suddenly excited about those „third party interactive movie games“ from Sony, now that they are actually willing to port their last gen games to PC 😂.

And LOL at the people hoping for the PS5 games to come to Pc in near future. Sony is not dumb, nobody would buy a PS5 (aside for the price) if they would release all their new games on PC. They specifically designed the console for their new games - or you really want games such as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart requiring a 200 - 300$ PCIE 4 SSD to run the game at all?
Get a PS5, play all the newest Sony games and get a Pc to play the newest Xbox/PC games. It’s easy as that.

Last edited:
I love how this thread is full with people who are suddenly excited about those „third party interactive movie games“ from Sony, now that they are actually willing to port their last gen games to PC 😂.

And LOL at the people hoping for the PS5 games to come to Pc in near future. Sony is not dumb, nobody would buy a PS5 (aside for the price) if they would release all their new games on PC. They specifically designed the console for their new games - or you really want games such as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart requiring a 200 - 300$ PCIE 4 SSD to run the game at all?
Get a PS5, play all the newest Sony games and get a Pc to play the newest Xbox/PC games. It’s easy as that.
giphy.gif

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ll take spider man and uncharted collection Uncle Jimbo…. Even better if you can get them for free on Epic since they are so desperate for users. Let’s get this deal done!

Unknown?

That's how you tear down the meaning of an exclusives! Can't wait for them to be all dethroned! Everyone can enjoy them at better quality and performance, Sony gets more money to go back into development, EVERYONE is happy, including the diehards.
Not when PC is crippled by Windows. Wake me up when Linux gets comparable in the gaming front.

Say goodbye to dedicated boxes. :) (Even if things come later/slowly, I don't care. My backlog grants unlimited patience. :p)

Now we just need to force Nintendo to do the inconceivable. ;)

Top Bottom