• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase Will Happen Before Summer Game Fest – Rumour

will it live up to expectations?

• Yes

Votes: 46 37.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 27.9%

• Total voters

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
but he had dates and everything. what about the kojima game for xbox? dusk also got plenty of things right about resident evil and silent hill was real! so he was actually right. i think people are being harsh on them. i agree with you on idiots like jez corden and sphesal_nick though. they know fuck all and have never got anything right. grubb and dusk have a half decent track record though.

They were right because they threw things at the wall and got lucky. If that is your entire job, of course you will inevitably start getting things correct.

They are scam artists and you have fully bought into their scam.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
but he had dates and everything. what about the kojima game for xbox? dusk also got plenty of things right about resident evil and silent hill was real! so he was actually right. i think people are being harsh on them. i agree with you on idiots like jez corden and sphesal_nick though. they know fuck all and have never got anything right. grubb and dusk have a half decent track record though.

I take this approach: Based on record, if it doesn't come from Grubb, Schreier (as much as I despise that little dickshit), or Henderson, I treat it as bogus until further notice. The Snitch was spot-on, but here lately I have doubts, based on his Twitter behavior, that it's the same guy anymore. After he said he was done he then came back but was not acting or speaking the same way. I think the dude got close to being caught and went dark.

Last edited:
I take this approach: Based on record, if it doesn't come from Grubb, Schreier (as much as I despise that little dickshit), or Henderson, I treat it as bogus until further notice. The Snitch was spot-on, but here lately I have doubts, based on his Twitter behavior, that it's the same guy anymore. After he said he was done he then came back but was not acting or speaking the same way. I think the dude got close to being caught and went dark.

Yeah you gotta give credit when it's due. You can't lump them all in to one. Grubb has been way too accurate on some things for him to simply be "guessing". Even I was laughing at him about the kojima doing something with xbox but he was right. He leaked it way before it was announced too. He obviously has some sort of inside information.

Knightime_X

I expect news on Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
I hope to hear anything about Bloodborne.
Probably going to get a 10-minute preview of Goodbye volcano high

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I expect news on Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
I hope to hear anything about Bloodborne.
Probably going to get a 10-minute preview of Goodbye volcano high
Pizza Yes GIF

FritzJ92

It's been nearly three years since Sony's last unquestionably great event, The Future of Gaming, so there's no way that their first-party studios and third-party partners don't live up to expectations after such a long, long while of being relatively quiet on announcements.

This is my prediction for the event:
  • PLAYSTATION SHOWCASE | May 25th, 2023 | 70 minutes
  • PlayStation 5 Slim / September 2023
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 / September 2023
  • Jim Ryan: announces PS5 Slim Spider-Man 2 bundle; then introduces a lineup of PS Studios titles for 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Factions / November 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Part II Remastered / June 2023
  • Helldivers 2 / August 2023
  • Shuhei Yoshida: introduces the next games from two of his favorite Japanese creators
  • New IP (genDESIGN) / 2024 <--- Fumito Ueda (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)
  • Project Re Fantasy / 2024 <--- Katsura Hashino (Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, Catherine)
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name / August 2023
  • New IP (Giant Sparrow) / 2024
  • Little Devil Inside / July 2023
  • (VR) Ace Combat 8 / Early 2024
  • (VR) Resident Evil 4 Remake / Fall 2023
  • (VR) Beat Saber / Summer 2023
  • (VR) Firewall Ultra / June 2023
  • (VR) Déraciné / June 2023
  • (VR) Half-Life: Alyx / Fall 2023
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake / 2024
  • Silent Hill: The Short Message / Available Now
  • Mortal Kombat XII / October 2023
  • Pragmata / January 2024
  • Resident Evil 9 / 2024
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth / Early 2024
  • Hermen Hulst: introduces a select lineup of PS Studios titles coming in 2024
  • Twisted Metal / 2024
  • Rise of the Ronin / 2024
  • New IP (Firewalk Studios) / 2024
  • Marvel's Wolverine / 2024
  • Death Stranding 2 (working title) / 2024
  • Jim Ryan: one more thing...
  • New IP (FromSoftware) / 2024
Personally for me all the remake, remasters, collection of old games would bore me since I’m tired of them. But that’s just my personal opinion.

Varteras

Gold Member

Release date please.

This game reminds me a lot of Nier. Not the least of which is how I've responded to it. I went from not giving a shit about it, to being mildly interested, and now I'm starting to think this MIGHT be a sleeper hit. But I need to see more.

Poltz

This game reminds me a lot of Nier. Not the least of which is how I've responded to it. I went from not giving a shit about it, to being mildly interested, and now I'm starting to think this MIGHT be a sleeper hit. But I need to see more.
Nier Automata and Bayonetta 3 seem to be the only female led character action games that have hit for me, would be cool to have another one.

Elios83

The ingredients of a next gen Nier are all there, hopefully it turns out great.

About Sony's showcase it's clear that this year they'll start talking about all the things they have been cooking for late 2023 and 2024. They probably have 30 projects in the works counting all studios and partnerships. I expect a big showcase after last year's focus was on delivering the big games promised during the launch phase while giving time to developers to cook the next wave of titles.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Not this shit again.

Still waiting for last August's, no I mean September's, no wait it was October, no no no, it was definitely before the end of the year....

Varteras

Gold Member
The ingredients of a next gen Nier are all there, hopefully it turns out great.

About Sony's showcase it's clear that this year they'll start talking about all the things they have been cooking for late 2023 and 2024. They probably have 30 projects in the works counting all studios and partnerships. I expect a big showcase after last year's focus was on delivering the big games promised during the launch phase while giving time to developers to cook the next wave of titles.

I expect to see projects from 7 or 8 of Sony's studios and publishing partnerships at the least. Not including updates to any known games. Final Fantasy 16 is the only exclusive game left from their opening year of marketing that hasn't released yet, and we're just a handful of months away from it. They gave gamers an appetizer over a year ago of what's coming next. It's been long enough. Time to serve the main course for the next two or three years.

petricore

Neo Member
I'm very curious to see the new bungie ip, (i know i will be a f**king gaas... But i hope in a single player... I miss single player bungie games... I miss the REAL halo campaign 😭)... And i hope to see something from bluepoint and housemarque (returnal is a underated gem... Go out and play it!). Maybe naughty dog is ready to unveil the new project?

bitbydeath

I think a lot of it depends on the ABK deal. If it's not done Sony won't go all in because they won't want to give the deal any further justification. If it's done by then, I say they go all in.
CMA deliver their verdict on April 26th. I fully expect EU to copy them soon after, and the FTC could potentially push it back for years so wouldn’t be worth waiting on. Should be all sorted one way or the other this month IMO.

I think a lot of it depends on the ABK deal. If it's not done Sony won't go all in because they won't want to give the deal any further justification. If it's done by then, I say they go all in.

CMA deliver their verdict on April 26th. I fully expect EU to copy them soon after, and the FTC could potentially push it back for years so wouldn’t be worth waiting on. Should be all sorted one way or the other this month IMO.
I think this is right tbh.
Also...at this point Sony knows the odds of this deal not happening are close to 0.

I'm sure they will bring everything they can to the table. Their known IPs, new IPs, third party exclusive deals, etc...

FeralEcho

As someone who's watched every E3 and all of sony's big shows I couldn't give less of a shit about their too Little too late showcase.This entire industry managed to kill hype when they abandoned E3 and done fuck'all with their new independence.Now as far as I'm concerned they can reap what they've sewn.Just announce this shit 5 mins before it happens and announce whatever the fuck you feel like announcing, I'm too tired of caring.I would've been over the moon for this has this happened a year ago but it's way overdue and everyone will either be meh about it or massively dissapointed yet again.

Soony living up to their name.

Last edited:
As someone who's watched every E3 and all of sony's big shows I couldn't give less of a shit about their too Little too late showcase.This entire industry managed to kill hype when they abandoned E3 and done fuck'all with their new independence.Now as far as I'm concerned they can reap what they've sewn.Just announce this shit 5 mins before it happens and announce whatever the fuck you feel like announcing, I'm too tired of caring.I would've been over the moon for this has this happened a year ago but it's way overdue and everyone will either be meh about it or massively dissapointed yet again.

Soony living up to its name.

it seems you are just frustrated.

Varteras

Gold Member

Soony living up to their name.
pass-the-joint-wiz-khalifa.gif

OCL

From Jeff "I make shit up and if its right I take credit for it but if its wrong I laugh at everyone who believed me and say it was a joke" Grubb

No GIF

I mean its logical but in no way should people take him very seriously
Did he really said that ?

T0minator

Spider-man 2
The Last of Us multiplayer
Death Stranded 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Bend Studio's new IP
Stellar Blade
Helldivers 2
Firewalk Studios' new IP (multiplayer)
London Studio's game (multiplayer)
Pixelopus/Sony Animation (using UE5)
Team Asobi's Astro
Firesprite's Twisted Metal
Deviation Games' new IP (multiplayer)
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake
Wolverine

I think even half of those would make a great Showcase. All have a great chance of showing up

yurinka

Expectations are in 99% of the cases totally unrealistic so no, they won't be up to expectations.

In fact, I think it's very likely that it won't be a showcase but a normal State of Play instead but with maybe more 1st party content than usual, which I think will dissapoint people because I think it will be mostly announced games (some of these but not all because they will want to keep some for other events: Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, TLOU Online, Death Stranding, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, one or two PC ports announcements).

Well, in the Capcom leaked documents from a couple of years ago, "RE Apocalypse" - which is the working title for RE9 - was scheduled for a release in the Q4 of the calendar year 2023. For reference, Street Fighter 6 - coming June 2nd, 2023 - was planned for Q4 2022 (six months delay), while on the other hand the Resident Evil 4 Remake was able to actually deliver on its Q1 2023 target.

So that's why I'm guessing a release sometime in 2024 for Resident Evil 9. And actually, after having taken another look at Capcom's release schedule from 2020, I realized that back then they had Monster Hunter 6 (World's sequel) slated for Q3 2023 (likely delayed until 2024 tho), so I probably should had included that in my predictions as well, just remembering how involved Sony was in the marketing and release of World.

Regarding the 2024 dates for FromSoftware's new IP or Marvel's Wolverine... well, I made my predictions from a marketing point of view, from Sony's eyes, if you know what I mean. Remember when they ended a PlayStation Showcase with a "2021" release year for God of War: Ragnarök? I included that sort of bullshit marketing stunts in my list, sure.
The leaked Capcom document was from early 2020, so it didn't include all the delays since then, mostly the covid related ones.

We have no idea if "RE Apocalypse" codename is for RE9. In fact it's, more likely that it would be the RE4R PSVR2 support project. The document had another codename, "RE Outrage", that was mistranslated by both the leaker as "RE Outbreak" and whoever copypasted that mistranslation and other fake info to the Steam Nvidia leak, but the "RE Outrage" project ended being the RE Village DLC instead of a new game.

I think RE9 won't release in 2024 at all. RE4R and Village are too recent and they are supposed to release before in theory SF6, Exoprimal, Pragmata, Dragon's Dogma 2, Onimusha, DLCs/enhaced versions of Exoprimal and Pragmata and Monster Hunter 6 before the "RE Apocalypse" project. I think that it's likely that the PSVR2 support of RE4R will release in 2024, but not a new RE game.

FromSoft released Elden Ring last year, and this year its DLC and Armored Core VI. I don't think they are ready to release their next game in 2024. I think their next game will be a 2025 (maybe even 2026) game published by Sony, pretty likely Bloodborne 2. I think in 2024 they'll release Armored Core VI dlc (and maybe another Elden Ring dlc too) and an outsourced (but supported and overviewed by FS) PS5+PC enhaced Bloodborne version.

I think that Wolverine has a locked 2024 release date that won't be delayed.

In addition to this, Shuhei Yoshida fired Fumito Ueda when he was his boss, I don't see him announcing Fumito Ueda's next game outside Sony.

Regarding Sony's first party game announcements I think that the more likely ones are TLOU Online, Helldivers 2, Firewalk's new IP and for the 'one more thing' one of the Bungie new IPs that are under development (if not it would be TLOU Online).

Last edited:
Spider-man 2
Death Stranded 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Bend Studio's new IP
Stellar Blade
Helldivers 2
Team Asobi's Astro
Silent Hill 2
Wolverine

I think even half of those would make a great Showcase. All have a great chance of showing up
Honestly, Spider-Man 2, Factions, Death Stranding 2, Silent Hill 2, Stellar Blade, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth are almost sure to be there. Helldivers 2 since it had a trailer ready a few months ago that never saw the light of day. I'd bet something like Persona 3 Remake or Persona 6 as well.

Spider-man 2
Death Stranded 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Bend Studio's new IP
Stellar Blade
Helldivers 2
Team Asobi's Astro
Silent Hill 2
Wolverine

Scratch Deviation's Game, Asobi's London Studio's and Wolverine; Add Bluepoint's , a couple of second-party titles from XDev, a few big 3rd party titles and a handful of promising indies. Will they reveal VR2 projects as well? They should not, imo, but then again, having them alongside PS5 software will bring more attention to them...

Last edited:
sony needs socom back, cmon sony iv been waiting for this game since socom confrontation, such a sleeper

we will prolly see 20+ cartoonish VR games and 1 huge title .

Top Bottom