• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: PlayStation Showcase is the week of May 25

ZehDon

Gold Member
And the week after May 25th:
"Ok, so, I'm hearing the reason it didn't happen the week of May 25th like I said it would is because Sony wanted to get all their ducks in a row. Now, they had a lot of ducks in a row - a conga line of ducks, if you will - but they wanted more ducks in that row. At least 23% more ducks in the row for the show. So, they've pushed it back to give their teams more time so they come out strong. I'm hearing big things. Lots of surprises. PlayStation fans are in for a big treat, potentially. Delays happen, plans change. But what I'm hearing right now, with all the ducks, fans are gonna love what PlayStation has prepared."

Last edited:
And the week after May 25th:
"Ok, so, I'm hearing the reason it didn't happen the week of May 25th like I said it would is because Sony wanted to get all their ducks in a row. Now, they had a lot of ducks in a row - a conga line of ducks, if you will - but they wanted more ducks in that row. At least 23% more ducks in the row for the show. So, they've pushed it back to give their teams more time so they come out strong. I'm hearing big things. Lots of surprises. PlayStation fans are in for a big treat, potentially. Delays happen, plans change. But what I'm hearing right now, with all the ducks, fans are gonna love what PlayStation has prepared."
why in " "?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
xbox showcase is on 11th june.
playstation showcase around end of May.

Jimbo you cruel

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Its not even the looks for me. I love that i can fly at faster speeds in the matrix compared to the slow ass gliding in HFW. I love that I can play around with the traffic and create realistic collisions, traffic jams etc. It can actually go twice as fast as the gif below.

zbJ0cqO.gif

I really hope Sony devs go out of their way to make games more interactive, more physics heavy, more sim oriented with more destruction than they did in the previous couple of gens.

It sucks but the two devs who actually tried to create dynamic worlds with actual simulations were rewarded with studio shutdowns or firings. The weather simulation in Driveclub is now literally a decade old and still light years ahead of its competition because they treated it as a simulation instead of a visual effect. Days Gone's dynamic weather system paired with their dynamic horde system that changed depending on time of day is just little things that devs can do to make their games feel more dynamic and less scripted. I love Ghost of Tsushima but by this fox and bird chasing side quest is not my idea of an AAA sandbox game. If we see Ghosts 2 and its just another fancy looking game on par with demon souls, ratchet and HFW with no real innovations in open world systems or combat then whatever. It's a war game, i want a full on war simulation with hundreds of enemies on screen. Really dont care to invade ubisoft outposts to hunt down 5 mongols at a time.

For better or worse, especially considering how third parties have phoned in this gen, and MS being consistently inconsistent, this show might be our peak into the next 3-5 years of the gaming industry. Are we going to make the same PS360 era games we've been making for the past 18 years or are we going to take that new leap forward? The ball is in Sony court. If we trust Cerny then the hardware is there for them to shoot for the sky. But honestly, TLOU, Demon Souls, Ratchet, Dead Space, FF16 and even Star Wars caliber next gen games wont do.
I have come to find that seldom ever do games that excel in a particular technical area, translate to a great or commercially successful gaming experience.

As sad as that may be.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
btw, do you already prepare the hype train? In case Sony really announces the show case?
I mean, after last year Sony might just say "why doing a show case, we sell those boxes anyway" :pie_eyeroll:
Honestly haven't even thought of it as it's been so long since the last one, as soon as it's announced officially I make up the foundation for it.
But until then..... I'm not expecting anything.

sachos

What are the chances we see the next project from Bluepoint and GoT 2? Cory's next game? Gameplay from Wolverine, not only Spidy 2? Bend Studio next game? There is so much potential.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I want to see some of these GAAS/MMO/Multiplayer games they have been working on. That's my kind of game.
I don't usually play MP or Live-Service games, but I'm extremely excited for Sony's live-service games.

Most of all, I want to see what they do with those games and how they do it. Hoping TLOU Online to be more like GTA Online base-building, survival game, and one of the MP shooters to be the spiritual successor of Titanfall! 🔥

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
They may have Twisted Metal or another F2P game.

Helldivers 2 was also scheduled for 2023, but I doubt that's going to be an F2P.

Heis, gonna be completely honest here, after experiencing Returnal, I don't think I can go back to a top-down/isometric twin-stick shooter man...

I always heard about house marque and how cool they were but...their games never really grabbed me (tried Super stardust HD, the zombie game, Helldivers and resogun) with the exception being Returnal which is just chef's kiss.jpg®...

I really hope their next games are in 3rd person, I just can't do isometric twin-stick stuff anymore.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Heis, gonna be completely honest here, after experiencing Returnal, I don't think I can go back to a top-down/isometric twin-stick shooter man...

I always heard about house marque and how cool they were but...their games never really grabbed me (tried Super stardust HD, the zombie game, Helldivers and resogun) with the exception being Returnal which is just chef's kiss.jpg®...

I really hope their next games are in 3rd person, I just can't do isometric twin-stick stuff anymore.
Same, bro. Alienation and Resogun were awesome, but Returnal is just out of this world.

By the way, Sony is applying the same formula to Arrowhead now. Their next game, Helldivers 2, is also going to be a AAA third-person shooter (instead of an isometric twin-stick shooter). Unlike Returnal, it will be co-op, however.

Although I rate HouseMarque higher than Arrowhead, I hope Arrowhead can pull it off just like HM did. If Helldivers 2 is like Returnal in terms of combat, gameplay, and fun, it'll be amazingly popular considering it's multiplayer.

3liteDragon

what happens if they approve the deal? Still can't happen if UK blocks it right?
Pretty much, it’s dead at this point because of the CMA but it that appeals process fails, it’s over over. Won’t matter if the EU approved it by then or didn’t.

They may have Twisted Metal or another F2P game.

Helldivers 2 was also scheduled for 2023, but I doubt that's going to be an F2P.
That Twisted Metal job listing sounded like it's years away.
However I think the Horizon MP game might be coming soon. That leaked gameplay was awhile ago and an early build.

Metnut

I’ll only accept:

First Party

Bloodborne 2
Wolverine
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Last of Us MP Project
New naughty dog IP
Returnal Sequel
GOW teaser

Third Party

FF7 Rebirth
MGS3 Remake
New Castlevania
Persona 6
DQ12
GTA6
Death Stranding 2

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That Twisted Metal job listing sounded like it's years away.
However I think the Horizon MP game might be coming soon. That leaked gameplay was awhile ago and an early build.
Horizon MP has been in development since 2018, yes.

I just have a feeling that Sony would like to release the Twisted Metal game closer to its series -- which starts streaming in July.

xiskza

Are people really excited for a Silent Hill made by Bloober, and a MGS without Kojima involved by a random studio?

And I love Silent Hill, but I have little faith in the developer

Are people really excited for a Silent Hill made by Bloober, and a MGS without Kojima involved by a random studio?

I think if that Silent Hill sells gangbusters Silent Hill will then become Bloober Hill.

AmuroChan

Do you guys think sony has any new first party games this year besides spiderman?

My guess is no, except maybe something for VR. Looking at the release schedule, Sony is positioning FF16 as their big summer game and Spider-Man as their big Fall game. They may release something small like Helldivers in late Q4, but traditionally Sony gives way to the 3rd party games around the holidays (ie. COD, Assassin's Creed, NBA2K, etc).

LiquidRex

If Mortal Kombat 12 is revealed at the PlayStation Showcase and John Wick is an exclusive character... I'll lose my shit!

Do you guys think sony has any new first party games this year besides spiderman?

So it's interesting that we look at this like that.

Final Fantasy 16 comes out June 22nd.

If the EC rules against MSFT/ABK on May 22nd and on May 23rd Sony announces it has bought Square Enix does that make FF16 a first party title? It was already exclusive.

Does that enhance or change the lineup in any way?

I think they knew they'd be lighter on their lineup this year and rather than force games early, they made deals to fill in the space with 3rd party exclusives.

Yoboman

Haven't played Bloober games enough to judge them, but they seem technically competent and they are just remaking it?

Haven't played Bloober games enough to judge them, but they seem technically competent and they are just remaking it?

I think that is the hope that like Bluepoint their technical competency as opposed to game design competency can flourish with a pure remake.

ProtoByte

I don't usually play MP or Live-Service games, but I'm extremely excited for Sony's live-service games.

Most of all, I want to see what they do with those games and how they do it. Hoping TLOU Online to be more like GTA Online base-building, survival game, and one of the MP shooters to be the spiritual successor of Titanfall! 🔥
All I can say is that I truly hope Sony, now and on the future irrespective of their success or failure in live services, remembers that single player games are the bread and butter of PlayStation.

Crayon

All I can say is that I truly hope Sony, now and on the future irrespective of their success or failure in live services, remembers that single player games are the bread and butter of PlayStation.

They're smart. They'll make a bunch of money off multiplayer games and reinvest into the single player ones. Those games have transformed the brand identity. If that does change, it won't be fast.

Top Bottom