• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase Will Happen Before Summer Game Fest – Rumour

will it live up to expectations?

• Yes

Votes: 46 37.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 27.9%

• Total voters

H . R . 2

Grubb:
"E3 is dead, and I killed it.
And now I'm going to honor it by holding it up Weekend At BerniE3's-style alongside Jeff Grubb's #summergamemess

Thank you to all of the Jeff Grubb's Summer Game Mess partners for participating whether you want to or not. LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO"

Fslg8R_XoAAwT9e

Last edited:
Who cares anymore? These shows are all garbage now. The only ones worth watching are the single game showcases when you know you're interested in the game ahead of time. For the rest I'll take the summary after the fact.

They've all totally ruined it and I hope they're proud of themselves.
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends
100% agree! It was great with e3; every one showed their stuff at the same event and we all looked forward to it. Now its just a scattered crapshoot.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Who cares anymore? These shows are all garbage now. The only ones worth watching are the single game showcases when you know you're interested in the game ahead of time. For the rest I'll take the summary after the fact.

They've all totally ruined it and I hope they're proud of themselves.
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends
Yep, they fucking killed the excitement in this industry.

Markio128

Gold Member
When it comes to a Sony showcase, expectations will never be met, because those expectations are usually led by bullshit rumours leading up to the show.

Personally, I’d like to see extended gameplay from Spider-Man 2, one new IP, whatever either Bluepoint and ND have been working on and the announcement of a AAA VR game. 3 out of 4 and I’ll be happy. Less than that and I’d be disappointed tbh.

Umbasaborne

Banned
From Jeff "I make shit up and if its right I take credit for it but if its wrong I laugh at everyone who believed me and say it was a joke" Grubb

No GIF

I mean its logical but in no way should people take him very seriously
Yep, at this point the dude loved the attention. Jason Schreier is an actual journalist with inside scoops, and he knows what is and isn’t appropriate to share. He would not put his integrity on the line for twitter clout. Grubb is a clout seeker with some sources who will gladly spill all he can for some twitter points

Chukhopops

I’m sure there’ll be a showcase at some point in the future but I don’t see Sony going at the same time as everyone else when they’ve done the exact opposite in recent years.

I want to see the SH2 remake (even though I have low expectations) and KotoR remake (even though it’s very unlikely since it’s been rebooted).

AGRacing

Yep, they fucking killed the excitement in this industry.
One problem is they don't even take advantage of the format in any of the ways they should. Why can't they upload this show earlier and process it as a 4K HDR video? They without fail look terrible and since they're not live like E3 they don't need to be.

Worse still is that the bar has been lowered into the abyss for entry into these video showcases. We don't need 2 minute trailers for indy games that are just generic rock guitar anthems with out of context dialogue over them... at e3 that would be a 15 second spot in the "Indy showcase". And that is (of course) what is appropriate.

What is hilarious is that most of these games could have hooked me with 15 seconds of showing something truly interesting... But instead they choose to bore the hell out of me by the end of a 2 minute trailer and write me off as potential interested customer.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Spider-Man 2
Factions 2 (working title)
Burning Shores

Alone would be worth the price of admission.
Im super curious to see what ND has been working on......I do think its a bad idea to over hype a live service game cuz well that rarely actually works out.
But still need to see what this product actually is.

If we get to see what their other studios are working on too, that would be nice.........except Haven Studios, I dont care what Haven Studios is working on cuz it will never come out.

P.S I just realized Factions 2 might be launching day and date with PC........after The Last of Us Part 1.......ehhh.

Umbasaborne

Banned
One problem is they don't even take advantage of the format in any of the ways they should. Why can't they upload this show earlier and process it as a 4K HDR video? They without fail look terrible and since they're not live like E3 they don't need to be.

Worse still is that the bar has been lowered into the abyss for entry into these video showcases. We don't need 2 minute trailers for indy games that are just generic rock guitar anthems with out of context dialogue over them... at e3 that would be a 15 second spot in the "Indy showcase". And that is (of course) what is appropriate.

What is hilarious is that most of these games could have hooked me with 15 seconds of showing something truly interesting... But instead they choose to bore the hell out of me by the end of a 2 minute trailer and write me off as potential interested customer.
Used to be we got multiple new aaa games shown. Now we are lucky if we get one in a sea of indie games and cg trailers for early access survival crafting mmo’s

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Yep, at this point the dude loved the attention. Jason Schreier is an actual journalist with inside scoops, and he knows what is and isn’t appropriate to share. He would not put his integrity on the line for twitter clout. Grubb is a clout seeker with some sources who will gladly spill all he can for some twitter points

Jason is not a journalist. He is a weasel who would sell out his own mother if it would give him attention. He has no integrity.

Last edited:
Sony’s shows in June 2020 and September 2021 were great. Not sure why the hate but okay…

They have been quiet for a year and half. We’ll get tue first look at Spider-Man 2, Factions, probably the last FFXVI trailer. This alone is worth a watch and it’s probably not even close to everything we’ll see there. Persona 6 is a possibility, Silent Hill release date, Metal Gear Solid 3 remake, new IPs Sony is doing, etc…

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony’s shows in June 2020 and September 2021 were great. Not sure why the hate but okay…

They have been quiet for a year and half. We’ll get tue first look at Spider-Man 2, Factions, probably the last FFXVI trailer. This alone is worth a watch and it’s probably not even close to everything we’ll see there. Persona 6 is a possibility, Silent Hill release date, Metal Gear Solid 3 remake, new IPs Sony is doing, etc…
They have to start announcing the next phase of games. I want to know whats after SpiderMan 2. If they only show us up until SpiderMan 2 it will be a disappointment.

reinking

Gold Member
I know some people like to poop on these things but I am still looking forward to them. I keep my expectations in check so maybe that is why I am not as down on them as some others. It should be fun.

I mean, they are due for something fairly large, but I don't know.

Lately, they seem most preoccupied with fighting Microsoft in the ABK buyout and not much else. I don't expect that to really stop for some time.

That being said, there's a LOT of games out there for PlayStation Studios we have yet to see.

ANIMAL1975

They focking better show us the goods and kill it.
1. It's going to be almost 2 years since the last big event .
2. They bought a hand full of new studios and no one knows what they working on, the same goes for the veterans except naughty dog working on factions, insomniac on spiderman and wolverine, guerrilla and santa Mónica too soon to announce anything.
3. Bluepoint needs to show killzone2 remake or i burn the house and sell my ps5.

I believe Sony has a history over the last few years of going before the traditional E3 time period

We got a Horizon FW showcase in May two years ago. Last year we got a big third party Japanese showcase where RE4 was unveiled.

So yeah, sometime Late May or early June makes sense. All I gotta say is that Grubb better be right about the "Phase 2" PS5 unveils because Sony hasn't told us jack shit for way too long

Handel

Wonder if we'll get another famous game CGI remake announcement only to find out later it's being made by some nobody developer, like KOTOR remake and lolBloober with SH2.

bitbydeath

Wonder if we'll get another famous game CGI remake announcement only to find out later it's being made by some nobody developer, like KOTOR remake and lolBloober with SH2.
There’s a good chance of it, both MGS and Castlevania are yet to be officially announced.

Perrott

It's been nearly three years since Sony's last unquestionably great event, The Future of Gaming, so there's no way that their first-party studios and third-party partners don't live up to expectations after such a long, long while of being relatively quiet on announcements.

This is my prediction for the event:
  • PLAYSTATION SHOWCASE | May 25th, 2023 | 70 minutes
  • PlayStation 5 Slim / September 2023
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 / September 2023
  • Jim Ryan: announces PS5 Slim Spider-Man 2 bundle; then introduces a lineup of PS Studios titles for 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Factions / November 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Part II Remastered / June 2023
  • Helldivers 2 / August 2023
  • Shuhei Yoshida: introduces the next games from two of his favorite Japanese creators
  • New IP (genDESIGN) / 2024 <--- Fumito Ueda (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)
  • Project Re Fantasy / 2024 <--- Katsura Hashino (Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, Catherine)
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name / August 2023
  • New IP (Giant Sparrow) / 2024
  • Little Devil Inside / July 2023
  • (VR) Ace Combat 8 / Early 2024
  • (VR) Resident Evil 4 Remake / Fall 2023
  • (VR) Beat Saber / Summer 2023
  • (VR) Firewall Ultra / June 2023
  • (VR) Déraciné / June 2023
  • (VR) Half-Life: Alyx / Fall 2023
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake / 2024
  • Silent Hill: The Short Message / Available Now
  • Mortal Kombat XII / October 2023
  • Pragmata / January 2024
  • Resident Evil 9 / 2024
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth / Early 2024
  • Hermen Hulst: introduces a select lineup of PS Studios titles coming in 2024
  • Twisted Metal / 2024
  • Rise of the Ronin / 2024
  • New IP (Firewalk Studios) / 2024
  • Marvel's Wolverine / 2024
  • Death Stranding 2 (working title) / 2024
  • Jim Ryan: one more thing...
  • New IP (FromSoftware) / 2024

Handel

It's been nearly three years since Sony's last unquestionably great event, The Future of Gaming, so there's no way that their first-party studios and third-party partners don't live up to expectations after such a long, long while of being relatively quiet on announcements.

This is my prediction for the event:
  • PLAYSTATION SHOWCASE | May 25th, 2023 | 70 minutes
  • PlayStation 5 Slim / September 2023
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 / September 2023
  • Jim Ryan: announces PS5 Slim Spider-Man 2 bundle; then introduces a lineup of PS Studios titles for 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Factions / November 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Part II Remastered / June 2023
  • Helldivers 2 / August 2023
  • Shuhei Yoshida: introduces the next games from two of his favorite Japanese creators
  • New IP (genDESIGN) / 2024 <--- Fumito Ueda (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)
  • Project Re Fantasy / 2024 <--- Katsura Hashino (Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, Catherine)
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name / August 2023
  • New IP (Giant Sparrow) / 2024
  • Little Devil Inside / July 2023
  • (VR) Ace Combat 8 / Early 2024
  • (VR) Resident Evil 4 Remake / Fall 2023
  • (VR) Beat Saber / Summer 2023
  • (VR) Firewall Ultra / June 2023
  • (VR) Déraciné / June 2023
  • (VR) Half-Life: Alyx / Fall 2023
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake / 2024
  • Silent Hill: The Short Message / Available Now
  • Mortal Kombat XII / October 2023
  • Pragmata / January 2024
  • Resident Evil 9 / 2024
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth / Early 2024
  • Hermen Hulst: introduces a select lineup of PS Studios titles coming in 2024
  • Twisted Metal / 2024
  • Rise of the Ronin / 2024
  • New IP (Firewalk Studios) / 2024
  • Marvel's Wolverine / 2024
  • Death Stranding 2 (working title) / 2024
  • Jim Ryan: one more thing...
  • New IP (FromSoftware) / 2024
"Everything was 2024"

2024 is too early for RE9, a new FromSoft game after ER+AC back to back, and probably also Wolverine. Rest seems pretty plausible.

I can't stand grubb just like the rest of you guys but didn't he have a similar list with dates for events back in 2020 was it? Everything was spot on. Like dead on the exact dates he said they would be.

Perrott

"Everything was 2024"

2024 is too early for RE9, a new FromSoft game after ER+AC back to back, and probably also Wolverine. Rest seems pretty plausible.
Well, in the Capcom leaked documents from a couple of years ago, "RE Apocalypse" - which is the working title for RE9 - was scheduled for a release in the Q4 of the calendar year 2023. For reference, Street Fighter 6 - coming June 2nd, 2023 - was planned for Q4 2022 (six months delay), while on the other hand the Resident Evil 4 Remake was able to actually deliver on its Q1 2023 target.

So that's why I'm guessing a release sometime in 2024 for Resident Evil 9. And actually, after having taken another look at Capcom's release schedule from 2020, I realized that back then they had Monster Hunter 6 (World's sequel) slated for Q3 2023 (likely delayed until 2024 tho), so I probably should had included that in my predictions as well, just remembering how involved Sony was in the marketing and release of World.

Regarding the 2024 dates for FromSoftware's new IP or Marvel's Wolverine... well, I made my predictions from a marketing point of view, from Sony's eyes, if you know what I mean. Remember when they ended a PlayStation Showcase with a "2021" release year for God of War: Ragnarök? I included that sort of bullshit marketing stunts in my list, sure.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I can't stand grubb just like the rest of you guys but didn't he have a similar list with dates for events back in 2020 was it? Everything was spot on. Like dead on the exact dates he said they would be

Here is how you become an insider:

Make up bullshit that is just vague enough to not be conclusive while also being able to say "oh, things changed last minute" and repeat that constantly, endlessly and then hype up the few times you were right.

Grubb, much like Golem and the rest of those "Insiders" are nothing but scam artists and retards hype them up without using their brains.

Handel

Well, in the Capcom leaked documents from a couple of years ago, "RE Apocalypse" - which is the working title for RE9 - was scheduled for a release in the Q4 of the calendar year 2023. For reference, Street Fighter 6 - coming June 2nd, 2023 - was planned for Q4 2022 (six months delay), while on the other hand the Resident Evil 4 Remake was able to actually deliver on its Q1 2023 target.

So that's why I'm guessing a release sometime in 2024 for Resident Evil 9. And actually, after having taken another look at Capcom's release schedule from 2020, I realized that back then they had Monster Hunter 6 (World's sequel) slated for Q3 2023, so I probably should had included that in my predictions as well, just remembering how involved Sony was in the marketing and release of World.

Regarding the 2024 dates for FromSoftware's new IP or Marvel's Wolverine... well, I made my predictions from a marketing point of view, from Sony's eyes, if you know what I mean. Remember when they ended a PlayStation Showcase with a "2021" release year for God of War: Ragnarök? I included that sort of bullshit marketing stunts in my list, sure.
Was this leaked document created before or after Capcom Division 1 took over development of RE4R from M-Two? If before, then schedule would need to be shifted.

Yeah if it's a matter of clear BS dates like Ragnarok was then I can see that happening with Wolverine, though probably not a FromSoft game since that's putting their reputation on the line.

Here is how you become an insider:

Make up bullshit that is just vague enough to not be conclusive while also being able to say "oh, things changed last minute" and repeat that constantly, endlessly and then hype up the few times you were right.

Grubb, much like Golem and the rest of those "Insiders" are nothing but scam artists and retards hype them up without using their brains.

but he had dates and everything. what about the kojima game for xbox? dusk also got plenty of things right about resident evil and silent hill was real! so he was actually right. i think people are being harsh on them. i agree with you on idiots like jez corden and sphesal_nick though. they know fuck all and have never got anything right. grubb and dusk have a half decent track record though.

Top Bottom