• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I still say they should just make a version that works with or without the PS5 and charge a premium. If people that buy it do end up with a PS5 great. If not they can offset that potential loss in tie-in purchases with the mark up. Early adopters don't miss out because chances are there were just a small % that bought a Portal first and then a PS5.

They'll need to add a couple other things to it too and sell it for $300 in 2025. Call it the PS Portal PRO with and OLED screen too!

Imtjnotu

The LCD on this thing is garbage. But I do use it often. I'm just use to having every screen I use an oled. This is my only lcd

Zadom

It's probably the best LCD screen I've ever used lol
I agree I think it’s great. But I’m one of the lucky ones who have trouble recognizing higher resolutions, ray tracing, and hdr.
WwpW8xU.jpg

Gamerguy84

I just wish they would unlock all my media apps on the PS5. This thing would be great for watching movies in bed.

I don't need anything on the device itself just unlock all the apps and features I have and use on my PS5.

I've been playing FF7R and Tomb raider 1 on it a lot lately and the streaming quality is amazing. It feels like your playing whatever locally on the machine itself. You forget your streaming until your home network slows down. Thank God it doesn't happen often, at least on my network.

It even works well on my cellular network. I have 5G with a connection of 300mbps and about 50 upload.

Seriously though please unlock thr whole PS5 so I can use media apps..

Killjoy-NL

They'll need to add a couple other things to it too and sell it for $300 in 2025. Call it the PS Portal PRO with and OLED screen too!
That would be a day 1 purchase.

Imagine OLED and HDR on Portal. I might actually not feel a need to play on my PS5 anymore.
Never thought I'd say it, but the convenience of Portal trumps gaming on my PS5 and OLED.
Except maybe for audio.

Last edited:
The little time I’ve been playing lately is due to the portal.

Between work, social and personal activities, plus the OLED screen being in the lounge room. This little device has gave me some opportunity to play a bit more.

It’s also changed my purchasing behaviour too, I tend to buy everything physical as possible, but I bought some games digitally thanks to the last recent sales.

Fighting games are extremely good in this thing, I've yet to find any lag still.

The only downside for weird reasons, is that doing hotspot from my phone doesn't seems to work.

Well anywhere in Asia!

They're not even selling it in Korea, you know, the country with the fastest broadband speed & most ubiquitous public WiFi connectivity, ie the perfect environment to use a low-latency portable WiFi streaming device!

Who the hell is in charge of marketing this thing?

It's most likely a supply issue, and will rectify itself in the near future hopefully. I don't see Sony leaving the Portal out the S. Korea market.

Last edited:
Sony didn't see this thing being as popular as it is. The thirst for handheld gaming is real, folks.

I was honestly surprised when the PS5 came out that it didn't have a handheld solution, especially when the Switch came out midway of the PS4 cycle, and Sony saw how successful the Nintendo Switch sold for 3-4 years before the PS5 came out!

If the rumor of MS releasing a handheld console solution for its next-gen, then I hope Sony will be competitive with them in that market. But they have to start working on a handheld now, and the Portal may just be a BETA test run.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sony didn't see this thing being as popular as it is. The thirst for handheld gaming is real, folks.
I’ve been using my phone/backbone all generation for my Xbox and PS. Remote play is at its most vital importance, in my opinion. I look forward to the day when our purchases mean we have access to cloud copies as well. I remember a while back that Xbox mentioned they were working on making it so your entire library could be played on the cloud. The day that happens, oh man, I will be the happiest camper ever.

Topher

Gold Member
I was honestly surprised when the PS5 came out that it didn't have a handheld solution, especially when the Switch came out midway of the PS4 cycle, and Sony saw how successful the Nintendo Switch sold for 3-4 years before the PS5 came out!

I think the conventional wisdom has been that handheld gaming needed a dedicated library like in the past with DS, Vita, PSP. If anything this gen has shown that not to be the case. I wouldn't be surprised to see dedicated handheld hardware like Steam Deck coming from Sony and Microsoft in the future that plays scaled down versions of console games. That's hardware that they could actually sell at a profit, imo.

I’ve been using my phone/backbone all generation for my Xbox and PS. Remote play is at its most vital importance, in my opinion. I look forward to the day when our purchases mean we have access to cloud copies as well. I remember a while back that Xbox mentioned they were working on making it so your entire library could be played on the cloud. The day that happens, oh man, I will be the happiest camper ever.

That's probably still a ways off as more games on cloud requires more hardware in the datacenter. It'll get there eventually, I imagine, but my guess is they are holding back so as to not create more and more lengthy queue times.

phant0m

Folks that have this, is it still usable if your PS5 is wireless? Or non-starter unless your PS5 is wired?

Also, any new of Sony bringing PS+ Cloud Streaming to it?

I like the premise of the product but it’s a lot of $$ for something that can only stream from local PS5.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Hmmmm, I find it a fantastic little screen tbh. Bright & vibrant.

It is pretty good LCD I have no complaints on it. It's just that OLED and those deep blacks make other colors pop more.

I'll take the lcd though and keep the price down. I had an oled vita and didn't get the use out of it. I use my portal probably 4 times a week at least for gaming sessions.

Ogbert

Folks that have this, is it still usable if your PS5 is wireless? Or non-starter unless your PS5 is wired?
I wouldn't say non-starter, but it might well struggle.

I haven't used my portal in months. I live in London and have the best internet that BT can offer in my area and the device still struggles. Admittedly, we have an older, Edwardian house, but we've done our best with boosters and the Amazon mesh.

My only recommendation would be to make sure your base internet speed is up to the task.

Skifi28

I don't have a portal yet, but I do use remote play from a wireless ps5 to a wireless ps4 pro on a different room on occasion and it works reasonably well. Though I live on a very small apartment so distances are tiny. People keep talking about your internet speed, but it's mostly about your local network setup/saturation and modem.

Zadom

I wouldn't say non-starter, but it might well struggle.

I haven't used my portal in months. I live in London and have the best internet that BT can offer in my area and the device still struggles. Admittedly, we have an older, Edwardian house, but we've done our best with boosters and the Amazon mesh.

My only recommendation would be to make sure your base internet speed is up to the task.
From what I have read, seems like Portal may not work as well on mesh set ups. Mine worked pretty good with PS5 wireless but flawless once I wired ps5. I made sure Portal was on 5GHz network and has been good. First had it on TP LINK Ax11000 and worked great, but that router died. Replaced it with a Synology router and it has been great too.

reinking

Gold Member
I think the conventional wisdom has been that handheld gaming needed a dedicated library like in the past with DS, Vita, PSP. If anything this gen has shown that not to be the case. I wouldn't be surprised to see dedicated handheld hardware like Steam Deck coming from Sony and Microsoft in the future that plays scaled down versions of console games. That's hardware that they could actually sell at a profit, imo.
It is crazy to me that the Sega Nomad did not take off in the 16-bit era and that it has taken this long for the market to come around to bigger/console games on handhelds. The Nomad is one of my favorite handhelds of all time.

Topher

Gold Member
Definitely let us all know what you think!

Played a couple hours of Rebirth on it last night and it really is amazing how great the LCD looks on this thing, and the haptics when running around on your Chocobo are swank.

First impressions.......this thing is shit.

Kidding. I thought I had a dud because it wouldn't connect to my PS5, but then I realized my PS5 was wanting to update my Edge controller. lol......might want to check and make sure PS5 is ready to go before starting a RMA dumbass.

Setup was really easy. It connected to my PSN app on my phone and bam.....logged in.

There is no latency at all just moving around the PS5 UI. Same with playing some Banishers. All in-home network though.

Entire unit is very comfortable to hold.

Screen is great for an LCD. SD OLED beats it hands down, obviously, but this is on par with Rog Ally and Legion Go, imo.

USB C port is oddly placed. I'm guessing that there may be some official charging dock on the way or something. Otherwise, I'd prefer if the port were on the top so it is easily to plug in.

I'll come back in a couple of days and update my thoughts, but initially......I'm impressed.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It is crazy to me that the Sega Nomad did not take off in the 16-bit era and that it has taken this long for the market to come around to bigger/console games on handhelds. The Nomad is one of my favorite handhelds of all time.

Never had a Nomad. I had the Game Gear and loved it. Nomad came out the year after I got married. Mind wasn't on gaming back then. lol

Topher

Gold Member
Mine arrived already, I'm just not at home to open it. 😕

Hu0DTpL.jpg

Got mine about 30 minutes ago. Benefits of working from home.

Took me back a second seeing "From SIE ATL" since that's where mine is coming from. Forgot you are a Carolina guy. lol

Killjoy-NL

USB C port is oddly placed. I'm guessing that there may be some official charging dock on the way or something. Otherwise, I'd prefer if the port were on the top so it is easily to plug in.
I think this is to prevent the charging cable from 'breaking' when using the Portal while wired.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Got mine about 30 minutes ago. Benefits of working from home.

Took me back a second seeing "From SIE ATL" since that's where mine is coming from. Forgot you are a Carolina guy. lol
Yeah, we're not that far apart. A couple hours drive.

I'm traveling for work so I won't get to open mine until tomorrow night this time.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, we're not that far apart. A couple hours drive.

I'm traveling for work so I won't get to open mine until tomorrow night this time.

I ordered a matte screen protector for mine. Got used to the matte screen on Steam Deck. The glare on this thing is kind of driving me nuts.

Also, any new of Sony bringing PS+ Cloud Streaming to it?

I like the premise of the product but it’s a lot of $$ for something that can only stream from local PS5.

I have my Portal linked to a wired PS5 on the 3rd floor, and a wireless PS5 on the 2nd floor Primary bedroom. I have zero issues playing in bed with my wireless PS5 about 20-25 feet away when the wife is watching TV. My router is an 8-year old system, and the Portal works perfectly fine on it, with download speed test around 250 Mbps and upload of around 15 Mbps.

Last edited:

Beechos

What was the point of sony putting wifi 6 in ps5 if their other released hardware which would greatly take advantage of it doesnt support it? We could've had a wireless psvr 2 and much better portal streaming If they both supported wifi6.

Topher

Gold Member
Regarding the "stutter". I've noticed it occassionally. Not that much of an issue, honestly. If I hadn't made mental note to look for it, it would have taken a while for me to notice.

I definitely prefer PlayStation Portal over Chiaki on Steam Deck, OLED or not. Just feels more like a natural extension of the PS5. Extra screen real estate is nice as well.

The speakers of the Portal are really good. Makes up a little for the stupid decision of requiring proprietary earphones, but only a little.

mckmas8808

That would be a day 1 purchase.

Imagine OLED and HDR on Portal. I might actually not feel a need to play on my PS5 anymore.
Never thought I'd say it, but the convenience of Portal trumps gaming on my PS5 and OLED.
Except maybe for audio.

The bolded is probably why a PS Portal Pro won't happen. :-(

The little time I’ve been playing lately is due to the portal.

Between work, social and personal activities, plus the OLED screen being in the lounge room. This little device has gave me some opportunity to play a bit more.

It’s also changed my purchasing behaviour too, I tend to buy everything physical as possible, but I bought some games digitally thanks to the last recent sales.

Fighting games are extremely good in this thing, I've yet to find any lag still.

The only downside for weird reasons, is that doing hotspot from my phone doesn't seems to work.

Is your phone connected to any type of WiFi, while you try to use the hotspot?

Well anywhere in Asia!

They're not even selling it in Korea, you know, the country with the fastest broadband speed & most ubiquitous public WiFi connectivity, ie the perfect environment to use a low-latency portable WiFi streaming device!

Who the hell is in charge of marketing this thing?

That's extremely weird. Wow!

mckmas8808

If the rumor of MS releasing a handheld console solution for its next-gen, then I hope Sony will be competitive with them in that market. But they have to start working on a handheld now, and the Portal may just be a BETA test run.

That's probably still a ways off as more games on cloud requires more hardware in the datacenter. It'll get there eventually, I imagine, but my guess is they are holding back so as to not create more and more lengthy queue times.

How would developing games to make sure they work on a PS5 Portable work though? Wouldn't that make the PS5 Portable with less power the lowest common denominator? Like the Xbox Series S?

Topher

Gold Member
How would developing games to make sure they work on a PS5 Portable work though? Wouldn't that make the PS5 Portable with less power the lowest common denominator? Like the Xbox Series S?

The complaints from developers regarding the XSS has been primarily about the memory configuration. Even the Steam Deck has more memory than the XSS so I would think that would be a problem easily avoided. Otherwise, most new games have been able to run on Steam Deck albeit at a much lower resolution. Seems to me that the same would hold true for a PS handheld.

NoobSmog

You still need a PS5 to play on Portal.
Exactly, with inflation they probably aren't even making money on the ps5 atm. As long as people buy games it doesn't really matter where people are playing them. I do wonder though how much it would cost to support a cloud handheld though. With rising server costs, it probably wouldn't be very feasible atm if too many people were using them at the same time.

Last edited:
Exactly, with inflation they probably aren't even making money on the ps5 atm. As long as people buy games it doesn't really matter where people are playing them. I do wonder though how much it would cost to support a cloud handheld though. With rising server costs, it probably wouldn't be very feasible atm if too many people were using them at the same time.

Yea I think this is the main issue. Especially now when they've seen how well the device is doing.

Kerotan

My friend bought one today and he loves it. Not for me though.

If Sony in future release one that can steam games through PS plus it will be big.

mckmas8808

The complaints from developers regarding the XSS has been primarily about the memory configuration. Even the Steam Deck has more memory than the XSS so I would think that would be a problem easily avoided. Otherwise, most new games have been able to run on Steam Deck albeit at a much lower resolution. Seems to me that the same would hold true for a PS handheld.

That will be interesting. Should it have an OLED screen?

Topher

Gold Member
That will be interesting. Should it have an OLED screen?

I wouldn't expect it the first go unless they offer two model: one with OLED and the other LCD. That would be pretty cool actually. I'd rather have the option upfront than have to upgrade later like Steam Deck and Switch.

Gamerguy84

So couldn't Sony just release a FW update to allow streaming from cloud? It already is streaming from a PS5 so I don't see why not. Actually I've we been expecting them to do this since day 1.

We've only had one update and all the other PS5 apps are still locked out. All you can do is game on it, which is cool I guess. That's why I bought it but I'd like to do more like YT TV, Paramount, and Pluto.

Streaming from my PS5 to cloud works phenomenal with fiber. My average latency check is always between 4 and 9 ms.

If all I ever get to do is game on this I guess that's fine and I've ready got more use out of this than I did Vita but the extra options would be cool.

Top Bottom