• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Digital Tie-in Ratio for Full Game Reached 70% For FY23

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Part of their FY23 reports.

GNjzc0yXcAAQXxa

x

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Part of their FY23 reports.

Interesting point and an update to the 50% figure that usually flies around when the topic of digital ratios comes up.

GNjzc0yXcAAQXxa
Doesn't that include games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, Warzone etc?

The 50% is usually referenced irt Sony 1st party.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the post.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Doesn't that include games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, Warzone etc?

The 50% is usually referenced irt Sony 1st party.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the post.

I think Full Game Software means bought game that are bought, not DLC or free to play things.

V6hsvca.jpeg

This is all games and not just their own?

Yes, I reckon its for all software sold on PS, not just first party.

Last edited:

Three

I think Full Game Software means bought game that are bought, not DLC or free to play things.
It says "digital download" ratio. It may well include free to play games as it doesn't really state sales. The 50% people use are not for the entire store. It's on a game by game basis that have physical releases and those are from internal numbers. If you look at the previous years it applies to, even they wouldn't match the 67%. The store overall has a lot of games that don't even get a physical release. So store overall percentages for digital are normally higher.

adamsapple

It says "digital download" ratio. It may well include free to play games as it doesn't really state sales. The 50% people use are not for the entire store. It's on a game by game basis that have physical releases and those are from internal numbers. If you look at the previous years it applies to, even they wouldn't match the 67%. The store overall has a lot of games that don't even get a physical release. So store overall percentages for digital are normally higher.

Per Zhuge, the 70% is for full game software sales

V6hsvca.jpeg

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Would include games like Fortnite.
Full game just means no demos.

The more interesting question would be if it also includes PS+ titles.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Would include games like Fortnite.
Full game just means no demos.

The more interesting question would be if it also includes PS+ titles.

Sales, not downloads or PS+
The digital ratio for full game software sales on PlayStation platforms reached 70% for the full year.

Ahmad is looking at the same graph and has no details

I don't think that graph was part of their earnings report, that's from Daniel's firm if I'm not mistaken.

He likely has the same sources that let him estimate things like how many more PS5s were shipped than Xboxes last quarter.

Last edited:

Woopah

This is all games and not just their own?

When they say that 70% of purchases were digital, are they talking about units/copies sold or income generated?

Per Zhuge, the 70% is for full game software sales

V6hsvca.jpeg
It's a unit ratio for all games. The official description is:

"Full game software digital download ratio is calculated by dividing PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 full game software units sold via digital transactions by total full game software units."

Three

I don't think that graph was part of their earnings report, that's from Daniel's firm if I'm not mistaken.

He likely has the same sources that let him estimate things like how many more PS5s were shipped than Xboxes last quarter.
It's directly from their earnings report

GNhnsBAWoAAnF2e

Xtib81

I refuse to believe that people are willingly paying 80€ for the digital version of a game you can get for 50/55/60€ on release day. Discounted games is a different story.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's directly from their earnings report

GNhnsBAWoAAnF2e

Ok, well that footer also states that it's talking about full game software sold, not all content available.

r9r7rnw.jpeg

It's a unit ratio for all games. The official description is:

"Full game software digital download ratio is calculated by dividing PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 full game software units sold via digital transactions by total full game software units."

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that say the same thing? 70% is the total software units sold via digital transactions out of their total full game software units.

It can still be considered as a sale for purchasing FTP and PS+ titles.

Why would they add a 0 dollar/yen transaction in the earnings report. if that were the case, the percentage ratio would be a lot higher considering Fortnite is genereally the most played game on the console.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I refuse to believe that people are willingly paying 80€ for the digital version of a game you can get for 50/55/60€ on release day. Discounted games is a different story.
€80 to buy a game and install it on 2 systems so we can play together, or buy 2*50/55/60€ to do the same with physical editions?

ProtoByte

Not seeing what's so surprising about this. The increase has slowed down tremendously and looks like it's plateauing.

We also know that not all games are equal in this regard. Multiplayer and annual franchises, which make up a disproportionate amount of sales and come out annually, are going to be bought majority digital, and SP AAA fare, which is more infrequent by an order of magnitude, is bought majority physical on PlayStation at least.

Woopah

Ok, well that footer also states that it's talking about full game software sold, not all content available.

r9r7rnw.jpeg

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that say the same thing? 70% is the total software units sold via digital transactions out of their total full game software units.

Why would they add a 0 dollar/yen transaction in the earnings report. if that were the case, the percentage ratio would be a lot higher considering Fortnite is genereally the most played game on the console.
I was just pointing out that it was based on units, not revenue.

I guess the majority of people purchased Helldivers 2 digitally (the Super Citizen SKU was digital only I think). Still bought it on disc though lmao.

Last edited:

yurinka

It can still be considered as a sale for purchasing FTP and PS+ titles.
No, these are counted as downloads but not as purchases.

Ahmad is looking at the same graph and has no details
It's a fan made graph using the data that Sony posts every FY/quarter here, see the note 12:

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/23q4_supplement.pdf

I guess the majority of people purchased Helldivers 2 digitally (the Super Citizen SKU was digital only I think). Still bought it on disc though lmao.
There's a DLC to upgrade a normal copy to Super Citizen Edition.

Last edited:

yurinka

The weird thing was that in the past it would actually count as a transaction and you'd get an invoice for 0.00 but that doesn't happen anymore with the recent PS App.
I think ou can still get the $0.0 mail depending on your user settings, but sales and downloads are tracked separatedly on PS and only paid ones are counted as sales.

MrA

That includes digital only games as well I imagine. But yeah, digital is creeping up 😔
it does, it also includes every one of the 5000+ psn games, them taco jumps add up,

also 264*.33=87.12 286.4*.3=85.92, so total physical game sales on call of duty being way down explain coupled with no hogwarts more than adequately explains the small drop in physical units sold,
There are a few hundred games sold physically at any given time, there are thousands upon thousands available on psn,

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is all games in including like those £5 SNK ports
We went over this last year
It's actually down and so are First Party Titles.
But we already knew it was this high and don't paint an accurate picture.
Good question though as they combined units of PS4/PS5 titles.
How do they calculate a Cross Gen title that includes both PS4/PS5 versions..🤔

Sleepwalker

Every download on PS+ is considered a "sale" unless its already on your library.

Source: the immeasurable amount of invoices on my gmail with $0 value.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Who has the money and want to buy these games digitally? Blows my mind.

Like, who bought ratchet and clank for 70 pounds, platinumed it within a weekend and didn't feel robbed?

Most indies don't have physical editions. Unless they go through each title Physical vs digital on an individual basis, the conclusions of these figures are as cooked as surveys in an election period.

It's just a shame the pricing on digital is outrageous. Doesn't come down quick enough with zero resale value. It's completely fucked how digital can be more costly than physical when there is zero overhead.

It's like how kindle versions of books are sometimes double the price of a NEW physical copy of the book. Completely fucked, corporate cunty greed. Fucking hate it. Digital sales need to be more open like they are for PC games/keys.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not seeing what's so surprising about this. The increase has slowed down tremendously and looks like it's plateauing.

We also know that not all games are equal in this regard. Multiplayer and annual franchises, which make up a disproportionate amount of sales and come out annually, are going to be bought majority digital, and SP AAA fare, which is more infrequent by an order of magnitude, is bought majority physical on PlayStation at least.

100% this!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Most indies don't have physical editions. Unless they go through each title Physical vs digital on an individual basis, the conclusions of these figures are as cooked as surveys in an election period.

Nah. Doesn’t make sense. They will count any physical title that isn’t released in digital format too. Just that none exist now

Will be silly if 99% of the games are digital only but you only count the 1% of games that has both digital & physical.

Top Bottom