• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Sony anticipates 10 million+ PS5's to be sold in Q3 FY23, could reach 68M sold by end of March 2024

They have a ton of studios and zero announced games outside of Spiderman and Wolverine. They must have something major for second half.

I guess that comes down to what you consider major.

Spider-Man 2 is a 2nd half game. I doubt we're going to see a major release that has been unannounced entirely release in 2H 23. You might see The Last of Us Multiplayer, but honestly, I can't imagine that game coming out this year anymore.

Can't imagine a Sony major release within 3 months of Spider-Man on either and by those early projections they expect summer to be a dry period, probably after FF16 dries up and they announce the new model, which I'm guessing we'll see in May/June.

You can pretty readily go to retail and find PS5s now, but not as much the digital version, which suggests they just aren't producing them in meaningful numbers. It'll be interesting how they price the new PS5 and how aggressive they will be in driving unit sales vs revenue. I think people assume the new model which will essentially replace both the digital and standard would be 400 dollars.. but it doesn't have to be

I wonder what else beyond Spider-man 2 they have planned to release that would justify a forecast that is extremely high like this
Final Fantasy XVI, god knows how many marketing rights for most multiplatform games, stuff like Silent Hill 2 possibly coming out this year, the new cheaper PS5 sku releasing later this year, and this is all we know.

Spider-Man 2 + the new PS5 bundle during Christmas and or Black Friday will be enough to do most of the work already.
Ms is not targeting this gen. Next one with cod exclusive.
Yeah, MS just spent 70 billion to cut out most of COD's business. Specially after announcing it's coming out even on the Switch, lmao.

onQ123

The people asking what games Sony have for this year fail to realize the position that PS5 /PS4 is in .
It's the position that every PlayStation home console besides PS3 has been in where 3rd parties sale best on the platform so it's like every game is a PlayStation game.

The people asking what games Sony have for this year fail to realize the position that PS5 /PS4 is in .
It's the position that every PlayStation home console besides PS3 has been in where 3rd parties sale best on the platform so it's like every game is a PlayStation game.

yeah true. even 3rd party games are benefiting playstation massively. they are almost like exclusives themselves.

This is literally the thing for every console except Nintendo consoles: 3rd party games are the best selling games.
It's Fifa, COD, Assassin's Creed, RDR2, GTA, etc...

Also when people say "oh...sony only has Spider-Man 2"...i mean...no. They have every single major 3rd party game in there, many of those they have marketing rights with it (Fifa, COD, GTA and the future Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora), some have exclusive content (Hogwart's Legacy), then there's 3rd party timed exclusive games (Final Fantasy XVI, Silent Hill 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth), 3rd party exclusive games (Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade) and asian games Xbox doesn't get like Genshin Impact, FFXIV and in the future Honkai: Star Rail and indie pushes for games like Fall Guys, Kena, Stray, Tchia, etc...

This is never just about Playstation studios. It never was.

It's all of this together.

Last edited:
Was actively looking for one back in November but now I’ve decided to just wait till the end of this year or into early next year. More games will be available and perhaps closer to a better console.

onQ123

This is literally the thing for every console except Nintendo consoles: 3rd party games are the best selling games.
It's Fifa, COD, Assassin's Creed, RDR2, GTA, etc...

Also when people say "oh...sony studios only have Spider-Man 2"...i mean...no. They have every single major 3rd party game in there, many of those they have marketing rights with it (Fifa, COD, GTA and the future Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora), some have exclusive content (Hogwart's Legacy), then there's 3rd party timed exclusive games (Final Fantasy XVI, Silent Hill 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth), 3rd party exclusive games (Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade) and asian games Xbox doesn't get like Genshin Impact, FFXIV and in the future Honkai: Star Rail and indie pushes for games like Fall Guys, Kena, Stray, Tchia, etc...

This is never just about Playstation studios. It never was.

It's all of this together.

Just Dance might as well be a Nintendo game though lol .

Fighting games like Street Fighter 6 , Tekken 8 & MK12 will most likely have that same affect on PlayStation .

The narrative that after spiderman Sony doesn't have anything in the pipeline is hilarious 😂. When has Sony not delivered games in any of their generations?
We should know more this June but I never fear there won't be games on playstation.
gaf is still stuck to the old marketing models where you promote a game for 3 years until it finally releases.

Remember when with God of War Ragnarok we got 2 trailers...one with a logo in 2020 and the State of Play one in 2022 that blew everyone's minds?
Until that point gaf was like "oh this will be delayed to 2023. why are they hiding it?" lmao.

Last edited:
With 41 studios and they are not stopping there? yes they will. Who believes ms won't buy more studios and publishers?
If they can't work with the studios they already have, they wouldn't be able to work with any new studios they buy either.

Frankly i don't know how many studios does Nintendo or Playstation own, and I shouldn't need to know; the games speak for themselves. Trying to brag about owning 41 studios is like bragging how many employees you got; it is a useless metric.

With 41 studios and they are not stopping there? yes they will. Who believes ms won't buy more studios and publishers?
I mean, boosting up the number of studios means very little considering they have studios that need outside help to make games (The Initiative), games that have trailers since 2020 and won't release at least until 2024 or 2025, games that supposedly had soft reboots like Fable, etc...while Sony has studios like Insomniac, that from 2020 until 2025 will have released Spider-Man Remastered, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine., plus the fact that Sony's studios now have at least 2 teams (most of them).

It's not about how many studios you have. It's about how many games you have in development. Insomniac has at least 2 teams and have been developing 2 games at the same time. Naughty Dog is changing that as well with Factions and have something else already in development. Guerrilla as well, Sony Santa Monica, Bungie, Firesprite was working on Horizon VR and it's also working on 2 other games, etc...

It's all very obvious from job postings from PS studios...they just don't show us CGI trailers for games to be released in 4 years anymore.

And also, Playstation has also mentioned they won't stop here with their acquisitions...Jim also has mentioned they want to acquire known IPs as well...so it's not like Sony is done with that as well.

onQ123

If they can't work with the studios they already have, they wouldn't be able to work with any new studios they buy either.

Frankly i don't know how many studios does Nintendo or Playstation own, and I shouldn't need to know; the games speak for themselves. Trying to brag about owning 41 studios is like bragging how many employees you got; it is a useless metric.
I guess counting studios is the new thing .

I remember when it was Titan Fall , DX12 , Crackdown 3 power of the clouds , 12TFLOPS, Jim Ryan is the new Don Mattrick , Sony too , TLOU2 is a flop & so on

It's always something new that gets repeated over & over again but don't pan out then they move on to the next thing to echo.

Tsaki

Was actively looking for one back in November but now I’ve decided to just wait till the end of this year or into early next year. More games will be available and perhaps closer to a better console.
If you wait until September you'll be able to get the PS5 "slim". If you wait until Fall 2024 you can get a potential PS5 Pro. If these don't really interest you, might as well get one now since it's easily available.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I mean, boosting up the number of studios means very little considering they have studios that need outside help to make games (The Initiative), games that have trailers since 2020 and won't release at least until 2024 or 2025, games that supposedly had soft reboots like Fable, etc...while Sony has studios like Insomniac, that from 2020 until 2025 will have released Spider-Man Remastered, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine., plus the fact that Sony's studios now have at least 2 teams (most of them).

It's not about how many studios you have. It's about how many games you have in development. Insomniac has at least 2 teams and have been developing 2 games at the same time. Naughty Dog is changing that as well with Factions and have something else already in development. Guerrilla as well, Sony Santa Monica, Bungie, Firesprite was working on Horizon VR and it's also working on 2 other games, etc...

It's all very obvious from job postings from PS studios...they just don't show us CGI trailers for games to be released in 4 years anymore.

And also, Playstation has also mentioned they won't stop here with their acquisitions...Jim also has mentioned they want to acquire known IPs as well...so it's not like Sony is done with that as well.

You cherry picked 3 examples (Insomniac + Naughty Dog vs. The Initiative) to assess the 42 to 14 studio advantage Microsoft is about to have?

Noice.

XBox will have significantly more output starting from 2023 onwards. Take it to the bank.

PS: It's not about # of games in development. It's about # of needle moving games in development.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
lmao april fools is over with bruh and been hearing this type talk for 20 yrs now, i guess if you think sony and nintendo wont make moves of their own

When did you hear the talk of "XBox has acquired ~42 studios" in the last 20 years? What years was that a popular talking point?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Xbox already has the most studios? Whats your point? U guys never learn

You said "We've been hearing this type of talk for 20 years now".

The first time Microsoft had a bigger stable of developers than PlayStation was in 2021, after the Bethesda Zenimax acquisition.

Then, Microsoft announced plans to buy Activision Blizzard, which will take Microsoft's small studio advantage (#s wise) to a massive studio advantage. It's will literally be ~14 studios for PlayStation to ~42 studios for Microsoft, once the deal goes through.

This is unprecedented. We've literally never heard this kind of talk for 20 years now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good. Let them sell en masse so we can finally get this gen started. I got PSVR2 and a 2022 65" 4k Bravia OLED.

Come at me Phil! 😅

Last edited:
You cherry picked 3 examples (Insomniac + Naughty Dog vs. The Initiative) to assess the 42 to 14 studio advantage Microsoft is about to have?

Noice.

XBox will have significantly more output starting from 2023 onwards. Take it to the bank.

PS: It's not about # of games in development. It's about # of needle moving games in development.

Studio count doesn’t really mean anything at this point, for all we know, everyone could be sent to the COD mine over at Microsoft.

HawarMiran

Banned
WTF i finally found a way to access my account again. reading comments and not being able to dunk on people is a living hell :messenger_anxious:

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
It's not so much about high output of publishers it's about the quality of the games.

You can release 50 Redfalls in a year but if they are all Redfalls quality its not a good look.

Top Bottom