• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miutsu

Not sure about 1vs3 but 2vs2 is confirmed

Now that i think about it, i do wonder why are they limiting themselves to 4 characters instead of 6 or something, too much chaos maybe? Or perhaps the performance online and/or offline starts to lag.

Now that i think about it, i do wonder why are they limiting themselves to 4 characters instead of 6 or something, too much chaos maybe? Or perhaps the performance online and/or offline starts to lag.

1vs3 would be too easy for the single person as they will build meter so easily.

And great players would be a bit chaotic. It already is chaotic.

What I really want:

-A roster size of 30+ I think one of the worst things they could do is have a significantly smaller roster than that of Nintendo's game. When you see the character screen, it should overwhelm your eyes, otherwise it will feel like a cheap knock off

-A theater mode with record and upload to Youtube. Easy, free promotional tool. Why Sony doesnt do this with more games is beyond me. If the game is going to be as fun as SSB, I want to save some of those great moments

-Tons of stock modes and a variety of options to tweak the game. Easily can negate concerns with balance if you can tweak mechanics like health per character, damage of attacks, etc. Too bad they didn't work a system to turn off supers and turn on a classic mode. It kills me that they couldn't do that because I still have my fears with the balance of supers and making a game solely around that mechanic. I feel like they are missing one of the best core features of SSB and any fighter doing this. I'd love to have some one on one fights that simply do damage against opponents instead of relying upon supers

-Skins, skins, skins. Clothing options, alternate costumes, taunts, etc. Be fun and be oldschool, and I pray they don't tool us around and make all of this stuff DLC (though I'm sure they will)

I hope they redo the awful UI and have some epic music and a ton of quirky lines/references. That alone would mean so much to me. How great would it be if the final boss was a giant enemy crab and if Drake specifically had dialogue expressing his fear of Sweet Tooth, the clown? The SP mode has a huge chance to be a great tribute to PlayStation, I really hope they dont neglect the stories and that they have fun with them.

Mr. Fix

I think I remember them saying you could do all combinations, so 1 vs 3 would be possible. It was an interview in April/May though.

What I really want:

-A roster size of 30+ I think one of the worst things they could do is have a significantly smaller roster than that of Nintendo's game. When you see the character screen, it should overwhelm your eyes, otherwise it will feel like a cheap knock off.

You're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Last November the roster was expected to be a bit less or more than 20. They probably won't take more than 1 character from a franchise, which smash did.

I think I remember them saying you could do all combinations, so 1 vs 3 would be possible. It was an interview in April/May though.

You're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Last November the roster was expected to be a bit less or more than 20. They probably won't take more than 1 character from a franchise, which smash did.

That's too bad, but I guess that's what sequels are for... and DLC. I really like the idea of skin variations. Would be great to have Sully or Ellen as a Drake skin for example. I have high hopes for this game and walked away really impressed since E3.

I just hope they really flesh out surrounding gameplay, such as a theater mode, lots of options, modes, and gameplay. For example, I was ecstatic to hear about countering supers, having weapons that block supers, etc.

Loudninja

B.O.O.M

It would suck BIG TIME if we have to wait until GC for the next reveal. That's a long time from now and really doesn't help sustain the hype level

Man, I truly hope and think this can be a big franchise for Sony.

Can you imagine the sequels? PSA: Tag Tournament sequel: with generic tag team moves, special tag moves with the right mix of characters-- Drake and Sully for example--, and tag supers, classic health so that when your mate dies you can choose to save him, etc.

I just hope the title can find success for Sony this Christmas. This and LB:K are the biggest titles for them this Christmas, and it's not going to be easy

I know it's done to death, but how hard is it to create a classic game mode with proper health? I just feel like it could add so much for the game, especially for a 1v1 mode and to emphasize the core combat.

udivision

I know it's done to death, but how hard is it to create a classic game mode with proper health? I just feel like it could add so much for the game, especially for a 1v1 mode and to emphasize the core combat.

I don't think it's all that important, tbh. I think the other mode would win over, and the health mode would be an occasional secondary thing for kicks.

I don't really care about health mechanic, as long as they have a last man standing mode where every character have limited lives like maybe 5 lives and if he died 5 times than he's out of the game, last man standing win the round. because I don't really like time based mode like what we've seen so far.

I don't really care about health mechanic, as long as they have a last man standing mode where every character have limited lives like maybe 5 lives and if he died 5 times than he's out of the game, last man standing win the round. because I don't really like time based mode like what we've seen so far.

+1.

The time end feels anti-climatic when u dont know the scores too

A roster size of 30+ I think one of the worst things they could do is have a significantly smaller roster than that of Nintendo's game. When you see the character screen, it should overwhelm your eyes, otherwise it will feel like a cheap knock off

The first Smash only had 12 characters. Melee had 25. Brawl has 35 and beyond that Nintendo's starting to scrape the barrel of A-List characters. I'd say a list of 20 characters for this roster would be great, because I highly doubt they will be dipping into secondary characters from any franchise.

Maybe the secondary characters will be DLC, or they'll wait until the sequel before they expand the roster. But for the first game out, they want to bring in the most recognizable, main characters to draw in a consumer base.

The first Smash only had 12 characters. Melee had 25. Brawl has 35 and beyond that Nintendo's starting to scrape the barrel of A-List characters. I'd say a list of 20 characters for this roster would be great, because I highly doubt they will be dipping into secondary characters from any franchise.

Maybe the secondary characters will be DLC, or they'll wait until the sequel before they expand the roster. But for the first game out, they want to bring in the most recognizable, main characters to draw in a consumer base.

Yeah, 30 is too much for this first time, but I think with the SSB comparisons, a roster of 12 would be pitiful. 20ish sounds good, I just hope they pick the best characters possible

+1.

The time end feels anti-climatic when u dont know the scores too

plus, with last man standing mode, at least when you lost you're out of the game. with time based, you can know that you already lost and have no realistic chance to win but still forced to play the game till the time ends.

if im not mistaken, with those 35 characters, only a few are 3rd party. snake and sonic? the advantage of all-stars is that sony is willing to venture out into including 3rd parties as launch characters and as dlc's. we'll probably have snake, dante, crash, jak and ratchet at launch. then with dlcs, we'll get more 3rd parties such as dante, Spyro, etc.

thus allowing Sony to not 'scrape the barrel' of A-List characters.
just my way of seeing it. :p

Mr. Fix

if im not mistaken, with those 35 characters, only a few are 3rd party. snake and sonic? the advantage of all-stars is that sony is willing to venture out into including 3rd parties as launch characters and as dlc's. we'll probably have snake, dante, crash, jak and ratchet at launch. then with dlcs, we'll get more 3rd parties such as dante, Spyro, etc.

thus allowing Sony to not 'scrape the barrel' of A-List characters.
just my way of seeing it. :p

Looking at 3rd parties, we'll probably get one from Square, Ubisoft and Capcom, 1 or 2 of which maybe DLC. I'm all for Dante, and Spyro though. Anyone but Ryu.

Seems like Paul's answered a couple more questions: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...-any-single-question-and-i-promise-to-answer/

A short summary:
- People at SuperBot don't actually know how many characters will be in the game; he received a new list 3 weeks prior to e3
- When asked about Crash, Spyro, and other characters,
Paul Gale said:
I will say that the blend of characters from the PlayStation Universe, both past and present will be acceptable by most. :D
- When asked if there would be cutscenes similar to Brawl's Subspace Emissary:
Paul Gale said:
I can tell you this, yes, the game will have its own CGI cinema scenes.

I don't know about this. Nothing was more satisfying that crushing someone off the side of the map in Smash Bros. Just "KO"ing other players in this doesn't seem like it will scratch that itch.

If you go to the 2 minute mark at this video you'll catch PaRappa's level 3 super. It's a weird one - it doesn't require any player input, it just kills everyone automatically.

This vid is well worth watching, it features two beat 'em up veterans playing the game for the first time and interviewing Omar. They seem to have a really good time with it overall.

If you go to the 2 minute mark at this video you'll catch PaRappa's level 3 super. It's a weird one - it doesn't require any player input, it just kills everyone automatically.

So the max number of kills you can get from that move is 3. Other characters like Big Daddy's Level 3 can potentially offer more kills because he can kill respawned characters as well.

So the max number of kills you can get from that move is 3. Other characters like Big Daddy's Level 3 can potentially offer more kills because he can kill respawned characters as well.

Sounds about right to me. So in comparison to someone like Sweet Tooth, PaRappa's level 3 seems a little weak, because ST can just annihilate everyone multiple times with his mech bot suit.

Loudninja

This vid is well worth watching, it features two beat 'em up veterans playing the game for the first time and interviewing Omar. They seem to have a really good time with it overall.
Some really fun videos out there now after more people got their hands on it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh, forgot to mention, but I tried this at E3.

I have little problem with Sony copying SSB. What I DO have a problem with however, is that they chose the wrong SSB to copy!

Nakiro

PaRappa has a pretty strong lvl 2 super and from what the team has said before, it might be easier for him to earn AP because of the Boom Box. The first time the game was shown they held a competition and the final round had 3 PaRappas and Kratos.

I don't know if they tweaked things around or not.

Yup, though someone on Giant Bomb had the brilliant idea that it should be Desmond, who can turn into Altair, Ezio and Connor. One for each button, I'd guess.

This would be brilliant. Either way, there's absolutely going to be an Assassin's Creed character in the game. And rightly so in my opinion.

tusken77

Nice! Omar mentioned they'll be revealing characters at a fighting tournament in Las Vegas. Anyone know when that's happening?

Since ACIII: Liberation is a Vita exclusive, Aveline would fill the slot of a female, the almost assured AC slot since it's been a big franchise this generation, AND still fit under characters that are exclusive to the Playstation brand. If Ubisoft's been working on Liberation at least as long as Battle Royale's been in development and Sony and Ubisoft have been in communication, it seems like she'd be a solid fit for the game.

^ He commentates in fighting game tournaments and he's also a lawyer. Gootecks and Mike Ross are also famous fighting game players, they could definitely increase the game's hype.

Marketing deals most likely. Just like how Call of duty is associated with MS, AC is associated with PS

Thanks. I had no idea, I always thought ass creed sold better on the 360 like almost all of the other third party titles.

I-hate-u

The opinion of the FGC is important as it will decide the fate of this game competitiveness wise. SuperBot seems to have that as a set goal as they have hired multiple FGC staples to work on the title.

Also, have you guys noticed in the beginning Sony press conference they referenced Drake, Cole and Snake specifically as video game heroes. The 3 characters coincidentally also happen to be rumored for the game by Cole's VO actor. I thought that was weird lol

Loudninja

Some good tweets:
#PSAS‬ aka Playstation AllStars: game I played the most! Liked it a lot. Feels like Smash for 5min until you notice significant differences
#PSAS: not like Smash because jumps less floaty/controllable, no guard break, automatic air recovery, kill/super system totally diff obv
#PSAS: have ground dodge but throwable & quite punishable at end. Just 2 speed walk & run. Double jump w as many actions/jump as you can fit

#PSAS: mechanics are mix of Smash, Pocket/Gem Fighter, Street Fighter. 1st goal is making it fun, competitive secondary but still big focus
https://twitter.com/#!/ultradavid

^ He commentates in fighting game tournaments and he's also a lawyer. Gootecks and Mike Ross are also famous fighting game players, they could definitely increase the game's hype.

Thanks. I had no idea, I always thought ass creed sold better on the 360 like almost all of the other third party titles.
Thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom