• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
I also wonder what he meant by "counter supering"

He just means Player 1 tried to use a super to kill Player 2, but Player 2 whipped out his own super and killed Player 1.

Like Big Daddy uses his level 2 to go into his rage mode and starts going after Kratos, but Kratos whips out his level 1 sword and kills Big Daddy.

I meant, why play PS3-PSV MP on your PSV when you can just play with everyone else on the PS3?
Assuming they have enough controllers.

The was just to show off how it works / how well it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyFlPP3Zu2w&feature=relmfu

He says there getting all there original voice actors in, but Parappa sounds off to me

We know there story, but he makes it seem like there's different story's fore each character like Tekken

I really liked that 10 minute walkthrough video. It really explained a lot of things and gave them more clarity. I definitely don't get the "it's a smash bros clone" talk besides it having just a similarity in a fighter mash up. Everything else seems different from scoring to gameplay mechanics.

Nakiro

The amount that each super is worth is not the same.
This is just an example.
Let's say lvl 1 is worth 100 action points, lvl 2 won't be 200 points.
Look up the PlayStation Blog interview for the game, they discuss the mechanics pertaining to the balancing a bit more.

KevinCow

Banned
I never had the slowdown lag in Brawl. I had the kind of lag where I pressed the button, and then it didn't register for like a full second.

The amount that each super is worth is not the same.
This is just an example.
Let's say lvl 1 is worth 100 action points, lvl 2 won't be 200 points.
Look up the PlayStation Blog interview for the game, they discuss the mechanics pertaining to the balancing a bit more.

Yes, but that's the same super using a different amount of AP every time he uses it.

This video physically hurts me. I bought a Wii for that game, man.

Oh yes. I did the same thing, believing that it would be the Wii's Halo 2 and really put online on the map for the system. This was going to be my main game for the next few years.

Then I experienced 2+ second input delay and near-constant freezes when playing against my friend who lived 10 minutes away, when both of our connections were proven in numerous other online games.

Feels fucking bad, man. I don't care if this game is called Boy Bands All Stars Battle Royale. Just give me a Smash ripoff with good online and I'm there.

ascii42

I never had the slowdown lag in Brawl. I had the kind of lag where I pressed the button, and then it didn't register for like a full second.

Yes, but that's the same super using a different amount of AP every time he uses it.

What he means is that it takes more to fill up the level 2 bar than the level 1 bar, and more to fill up the level 3 bar than the level 2 bar. So a certain portion of the higher level bars represents more AP than the same portion of the lower level bars. The move takes the same amount of AP, it just appears not to.

Nakiro

What he means is that it takes more to fill up the level 2 bar than the level 1 bar, and more to fill up the level 3 bar than the level 2 bar. So a certain portion of the higher level bars represents more AP than the same portion of the lower level bars. The move takes the same amount of AP, it just appears not to.
Yeah, pretty much.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish getting hit would remove some AP from the meter. Sure there's already incentive not to get hit just because you don't want the enemy AP meter to go up, but it just doesn't seem like enough to me.

Another realization i just had. How the hell are the supers going to be balanced between 2 player and 4 player. It seems like most level 3s are only good because they can take out all 3 opponents. 1v1 you might as well use a level 1 or 2 since best case you are basically getting one kill anyhow.

And finally if it does take more ap to go from 2 to 3, then maybe they need a Golden Ax style super meter where you see the whole bar at one time and lines designating where supers are gained, or even just have each bar get bigger each super. Seems like something on the UI needs to change to show that 2 to 3 is harder to get than 1 to 2.

Nakiro

I really wish getting hit would remove some AP from the meter. Sure there's already incentive not to get hit just because you don't want the enemy AP meter to go up, but it just doesn't seem like enough to me.

Another realization i just had. How the hell are the supers going to be balanced between 2 player and 4 player. It seems like most level 3s are only good because they can take out all 3 opponents. 1v1 you might as well use a level 1 or 2 since best case you are basically getting one kill anyhow.

And finally if it does take more ap to go from 2 to 3, then maybe they need a Golden Ax style super meter where you see the whole bar at one time and lines designating where supers are gained, or even just have each bar get bigger each super. Seems like something on the UI needs to change to show that 2 to 3 is harder to get than 1 to 2.
From my understanding the numbers are different for all the characters.
I will totally agree that the UI needs a HUGE change top to bottom.
Right now it's bland and boring.

KevinCow

Banned

Ooooh, I see. Yeah, I guess that would explain it. If bar 1 is 100 and bar 2 is 200, that means a level 2 actually costs 300. And if bar 3 is 300, that would mean a level 3 actually costs 600. Almost a level 3 (600) minus a level 2 (300) equals almost a level 2 (300).

Interesting.

So a level 2 is worth three level 1s, not two, and a level 3 is worth six level 1s, not 3. That actually changes a lot. You don't have to get 3 kills to make a level 3 worth saving up for, you have to get 6. Assuming that 100/200/300 is the correct ratio, and the same across all characters.

Items and stage hazards take away AP, and certain characters have moves that can do it as well.

I think if every attack took away AP, it would result in a weird stale mate where nobody ever gets their meter high enough to get off a super.

On top of making it easier to land more kills, it also makes it easier to land any kills. If you're playing against a fast character and can't land that level 1, you might be able to land that level 2. And if you save up for a level 3, you're basically guaranteed a kill.

But I think higher leveled supers will generally prove to be less useful in 1v1 matches.

Yeah, I do agree with this. If that's the case, then it could use a super meter that better illustrates this.

Nakiro

Ooooh, I see. Yeah, I guess that would explain it. If bar 1 is 100 and bar 2 is 200, that means a level 2 actually costs 300. And if bar 3 is 300, that would mean a level 3 actually costs 600. Almost a level 3 (600) minus a level 2 (300) equals almost a level 2 (300).

Interesting.

So a level 2 is worth three level 1s, not two, and a level 3 is worth six level 1s, not 3. That actually changes a lot. You don't have to get 3 kills to make a level 3 worth saving up for, you have to get 6. Assuming that 100/200/300 is the correct ratio, and the same across all characters.
Those are just placeholder numbers I used. I really don't know the real ratio.
Omar did mention that each character will have a different cost associated with their supers because some lvl 1 supers are better than others and so forth.

Here's the interview with balancing discussion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWFLhQACK3I

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Items and stage hazards take away AP, and certain characters have moves that can do it as well.

I think if every attack took away AP, it would result in a weird stale mate where nobody ever gets their meter high enough to get off a super.

Easily fixed by having super meters fill up faster than they get depleted, and lowering the number required for finishing a super.

tusken77

Excellent. This, the gaming community vets on board, cross platform play, bringing everyone in to record all new voice work with nothing taken from previous games, having Ken Levine write Big Daddy's story, it seems they're doing everything right. I'm very confident about this game.

Also, thanks to the gaffers at E3 who have been posting their hands-on impressions on the game.

Would it be a good idea to have supers done like this?

Level 1: R2 + []
Level 2: R2 + /\
Level 3: R2 + O

Right now, you can only do the maximum level super that your AP bar allows.

KalBalboa

Banned
So we learn:

-That you can counter supers with a another super
-You can roll to evade supers
-A shield will protect against supers
-You can turn off hazards and items
-Kev Levine wrote the story for Big Daddy for this game

Some good info!

All good news. When should we expect more character announcements? Maybe during Gamescom we'll get another WWE-styled intro for two or more characters.

Welp that interview seems to hint that they could have exclusive character for both versions. I don't like that idea too much but I wonder what the characters could be. Kat is one Vita only first party character but I dunno about PS3 one. Perhaps something ridicilous with 3rd parties. Cloud on Vita and Lightning on PS3 ._.

buy combo pack and recieve platform exclusive character dlc for _free_

Duffyside

Banned
The fact that Bond will probably be in this game is a bummer. It makes it seem Sony isn't using this game to have some fun with their history, but rather as a promotional tool for current things you can buy. Big Daddy is here to promote Bioshock, Sly is here to promote Sly 4, Bond for the new Bond game, etc. Though I guess Parappa gives me some hope. But still, Bond is a TERRIBLE fit.

Some of the new info has gotten me very excited. I like that you can turn off level hazards. That will make the LBP level easier to take, as the buzz interuptions would annoy the heck out of me.

Why no announcement for Ratchet yet Sony!?!?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The fact that Bond will probably be in this game is a bummer. It makes it seem Sony isn't using this game to have some fun with their history, but rather as a promotional tool for current things you can buy. Big Daddy is here to promote Bioshock, Sly is here to promote Sly 4, Bond for the new Bond game, etc. Though I guess Parappa gives me some hope. But still, Bond is a TERRIBLE fit.

Wait, James Bond is in this? Weird. James Pond would have made more sense.

Welp that interview seems to hint that they could have exclusive character for both versions. I don't like that idea too much but I wonder what the characters could be. Kat is one Vita only first party character but I dunno about PS3 one. Perhaps something ridicilous with 3rd parties. Cloud on Vita and Lightning on PS3 ._.

Kat should be in both versions. She's new, but her design is instantly memorable and her abilities would be a perfect fit for this kind of game. Plus, someones gotta represent the Vita. Mutant Blob could be a fun addition too, but hardly anyone cares about him.

Drencrom

Wait, James Bond is in this? Weird. James Pond would have made more sense.

No, Paul Gale just said in November 2011 that they had some ideas for characthers and Bond was one, nothing more.

They have probably scrapped him just like they did with that Lair stage.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't the fact that he casually mentioned bond kind of confirm him not being in the game? If he was truly in the game, paul would have known to keep his mouth shut about bond.

KalBalboa

Banned

Big Daddy is one of the biggest mascots from this generation of games, so I don't really see a problem with his appearance. Sly is also a PlayStation fan favorite too, so I think it's a little short-sighted to say he's only in the game for promotional purposes but not find issue with Sweet Tooth, Drake, Kratos, etc.

Nakiro

Sly is a great Sony franchaise so I doubt he's being put there for promotional purposes.
That's like saying Ratchet will only be in the game because of the upcoming game.

shink

The screen selection screen and results screen are so bland looking. That definitely needs to be changed.

Big Daddy's level 3 super is ridiculously powerful, I wish the characters just moved extra slowly instead of being frozen there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The screen selection screen and results screen are so bland looking. That definitely needs to be changed.

Big Daddy's level 3 super is ridiculously powerful, I wish the characters just moved extra slowly instead of being frozen there.

They can supposedly move. The guy said so during the game trailers interview. I'm guessing that part of the game just isn't ready yet.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Wait, Sony is using characters from ongoing franchises in this game?! Inconceivable!

It's not surprising that Sly, Ratchet, Jak, Kratos, etc, are in the game. They are popular characters from beloved franchises. If their appearance in PBR happens to promote their upcoming games (and vice versa), that's alright by me.

As for the character roster, I'll hold my meltdowns at bay until they actually reveal the full roster. Big Daddy is a cool addition to the game, and the way they've worked his moveset into the game is really impressive and creative.

I also have a feeling thar Superbot is saving the most anticipated character reveals (Snake, Dante, Crash, Spyro, Cloud, etc) forba later date. I'm banking the next reveals will be Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. Maybe a third party reveal like Jill Valentine.

tusken77

I'd say the screens will be different in the final game. When Battle Royale was first shown to the press, the character select screen was different to what it is now. I'd imagine these screens are just temporary to suit the number of characters they have at each demonstration.

The characters can move slowly, they're not frozen. They have the ability to avoid attacks by floating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom