• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Today was Europe day one for PS5 !

I preordered mine's on september right after the show. And today it was a simple but very satisfying process :

5keHtZ3.jpg

Get back home after work with my reserved PS5 straight from my local FNAC (France popular cultural shops)

Teob4b5.jpg

Open the box, plug a few cables...

gW3SpmS.jpg

And voilà ! Demon's souls is still on postal limbo so Astro and Yakuza LaD for the evening.
Good luck everyone and happy gaming :)

Last edited:
Been enjoying my PS5 day one. Astro's Playroom is a lot of fun, and I'll be getting Demon's Souls this weekend.

I noticed I had a few games that are included on the list of backwards compatible games that play, yet exhibit errors - namely Ape Escape 2 and Left Alive, so I tried them out. Ape Escape is technically playable, but has a severe texture glitch that makes the whole thing an eyesore. Left Alive on the other hand, crashes on startup, so I'm not sure why it wasn't put on the list of games that don't work at all. I guess it technically boots up?

Regardless, I thought I'd let people know, because it means there's probably more of these "compatible" games that literally don't work out there.

Portugeezer

Why does the PS5 keep reading game discs so frequently? I swear the drive kicked up every 35 - 45 minutes during the time I was playing demon's Souls just to read the disc.

Seems a bit overkill.

GymWolf

Astro was nice for the 5 minutes he remained inside my ssd:ROFLMAO: (cute little tech demo, i just don't care about platform games anymore)
Like i thought, the vibration thing is just a nice gimmick, it feels like having a little hamster that moves inside the controller:lollipop_grinning_sweat: and the resistance in the triggers is downright bullshit, i disable it on morales after 2 min, imagine wanting more resistance in the trigger every time you shoot a web during air traversal (so a billion times even in a 8 hour game), fuck immersion:ROFLMAO:
I strongly believe that a lot of people is gonna disable at least the triggers to save battery life.

Morales is very nice but the fidelity mode is bullshit, i barely notice the raytraced reflections and they still look wrong and kinda low def compared to real life or even the rest of the game in 4k, also the game is too fucking fast to even notice this stuff, maybe if you stop every 30 sec to take screenshoots but i'm not the type, performance mode is the only correct choice, 60 frames make combat and traversal even better, fuck rtx.

Last edited:
Why does the PS5 keep reading game discs so frequently? I swear the drive kicked up every 35 - 45 minutes during the time I was playing demon's Souls just to read the disc.

Seems a bit overkill.

People are saying in the other thread that PS5 might read cinematics, music etc from disc in order to cut down on install size, since PS5 game disc installs are smaller than digital installs.

Kerotan

My download speed is much slower then my friend who lives nearby. Any ideas why? It was only 30mb download but I tested later and it went up to 58mbs. Still not great. He's downloading games x10 faster literally.

THEAP99

Banned
I have a question. If I run my ethernet from my ps5, into my computer - in which the computer is connected via ethernet.. will the pc thus give my ps5 wifi and act as a router ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone know how to switch chat audio from controller to TV while keeping the mic on the controller?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was playing Spider-Man: MM when I got a notification that someone on my friends list got a better time in the first Astro's Playroom time trial level.

Clicking "Play" on the challenge loaded me immediately into that level.

I have a question. If I run my ethernet from my ps5, into my computer - in which the computer is connected via ethernet.. will the pc thus give my ps5 wifi and act as a router ?

UnrulyNervousGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I was playing Spider-Man: MM when I got a notification that someone on my friends list got a better time in the first Astro's Playroom time trial level.

Yep it happened to me as well. Amazing feature. My friends and I did share screens and watched each other using picture in picture trying to beat each other, it was fun.

I hope all games make use of that. Pretty much with the ps5 it'll come down to if devs utilize the great features offered. With how xbox is becoming more irrelevant, I think they may focus on playstation more and making PlayStation players happy supporting these features. We need to beg them though, especially the third party ones

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

That's really cool stuff.

Not sure how often I'll find a use for cards, but I geek out on it from a design perspective either way.

THEAP99

Banned
Sadly it's useless to run my ethernet from my ps5, into my computer - in which the computer is connected via ethernet.. so my pc can give my ps5 internet connection and acts as a router because my pc only has one ethernet port. It's impossible. What if I did usb to usb?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Sadly it's useless to run my ethernet from my ps5, into my computer - in which the computer is connected via ethernet.. so my pc can give my ps5 internet connection and acts as a router because my pc only has one ethernet port. It's impossible. What if I did usb to usb?
Sounds like you just need an ethernet switch.

THEAP99

Banned
Sounds like you just need an ethernet switch.
Basically how my setup is I'm on the 3rd floor in a room. The router is all the way down in the basement, 2 flights of stairs down. I'm running an extremely long cable. I could just get another long as cable but that's wack, running two long ones through the whole house. How can I solve this? I would like both ps5 and my pc to have ethernet. Or at least make it so I don't have to crouch down behind my computer and plug it into my ps5 each time I want ethernet for downloads and vice versa

IntentionalPun

Basically how my setup is I'm on the 3rd floor in a room. The router is all the way down in the basement, 2 flights of stairs down. I'm running an extremely long cable. I could just get another long as cable but that's wack, running two long ones through the whole house. How can I solve this? I would like both ps5 and my pc to have ethernet. Or at least make it so I don't have to crouch down behind my computer and plug it into my ps5 each time I want ethernet for downloads and vice versa
An ethernet switch would work in most situations. It's essentially a router that you plug the one long cable into, it then has ports you can connect multiple things to.

Something like:

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
An ethernet switch would work in most situations. It's essentially a router that you plug the one long cable into, it then has ports you can connect multiple things to.
What about an ethernet hub? That seems cheaper. Any certain kind I would need so that it doesn't overheat my electronics for cause slower speeds ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No you want a switch. See the link I edited into my post; you don't need a "managed" switch, so they aren't too spendy.

Yup, that model or also this NETGEAR one NETGEAR GS305-100UKS 5-Port... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TV4A96Q/

Worked well for me so far. A repeater with a lot of devices will avoid some interference that you would have on WiFi and extra latency, but you will still have collisions and each device backing off and lowering data throughout considerably each time it does happen. Even unmanaged switches should buffer each port and “guarantee” collision free operation and good use of available bandwidth.

Burger

PS+ cloud save or USB.
No this is not correct. If you load the PS5 version of the game it will look for a PS5 save. It will not see PS4 saves.

You have to open Borderlands on a PS4, or the PS4 version on a PS5 and upload the save to the cloud from the menu.

This whole system is a shambles that Sony have seen coming, and have solved in that uniquely Sony way - by making it obtuse and confusing for no good damn reason. Its why people are playing the PS4 versions of COD by mistake - because it's bad by design.

Ar¢tos

Is there a way to stop the automatic upload of saves, outside of being offline?

Something weird happened... I can't (couldn't?) install Demon's Souls from the disc. I hit copy and it adds it to the queue, then adds the patch download to the queue but never starts copying anything. I tried to manually start it but it doesn't change from queued.
So I deleted it, removed the disc, restarted the ps5, disconnected from the Internet and reinserted the disc, hit copy, it went to queued, I went to downloads menu and manually started it and it started copying, but as soon as I left the menu the screen froze with an error message, but I think the disc is still copying in the background, it hasn't stopped spinning. I'm gonna leave it like that for 30min then check if the disc stopped spinning...

Edit: after the drive finished spinning I slowly regained control of the ps5 (yes, weird but it was slowly), the game installed completely, gonna try to update it.

Last edited:

ryzen1

Just a quick question.
I opened up my expansion bay to see how the cooling will work.
But unfortunately the whole thing is closed.

There was a interview with Otari where he said, there would be two "exhaust holes". Am I blind? Can't see anything?
Are we supposed to keep the bay open? How is this thing cooled?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why is europe so fucked. I fought hard to order yesterday... And today the store cancelled my order... Even though they be took my money. Fuckers

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
As someone who lives around the New York City area, seeing better representation of Times Square and other places always appeals to me. This is the first holiday time representation Times Square that I can recall, so:
EnPCs3CWMAM1Mt4

EnPCpqBXcAIeAjg

Ar¢tos

Nope.. Can't get disc games to install when connected to the Internet (queued forever), but they install if Internet is disconnected, but then can't download updates (queued forever).
Tried everything... Restored licenses, rebuild database, reset to factory default (did that 3x),and no luck. Can't update Demon's Souls or Sackboy.
Digital games seem to work fine, I updated Astro Bot and downloaded Bugsnax with no problem.

Darklor01

Nope.. Can't get disc games to install when connected to the Internet (queued forever), but they install if Internet is disconnected, but then can't download updates (queued forever).
Tried everything... Restored licenses, rebuild database, reset to factory default (did that 3x),and no luck. Can't update Demon's Souls or Sackboy.
Digital games seem to work fine, I updated Astro Bot and downloaded Bugsnax with no problem.

Odd. I wonder if a Factory Reset would help. This is only usually required for the download bug, but, maybe it could help. The downside would be, needing to install everything all over again. Of course, you'd want to sync game saves to the cloud first.

Ar¢tos

Odd. I wonder if a Factory Reset would help. This is only usually required for the download bug, but, maybe it could help. The downside would be, needing to install everything all over again. Of course, you'd want to sync game saves to the cloud first.
Done that already and no luck.
I'll just play Astro Bot and bugsnax, and Demon's Souls offline until an OS update fixes this.

Darklor01

Done that already and no luck.
I'll just play Astro Bot and bugsnax, and Demon's Souls offline until an OS update fixes this.

Yeah, .. I'd probably do the same, though.. I'd consider contacting Sony to use the MFR warranty. It could be something in whatever controls a toggle between detecting digital games vs. disc games. Or, to find out where to report a bug to. This is the first I'd heard of the issue you're describing.

Ar¢tos

Yeah, .. I'd probably do the same, though.. I'd consider contacting Sony to use the MFR warranty. It could be something in whatever controls a toggle between detecting digital games vs. disc games. Or, to find out where to report a bug to. This is the first I'd heard of the issue you're describing.
I'll wait for the next OS update. I don't really play online, so it's just for the 2 demon's Souls online trophies (that I can get next year, whenever) . I can live with an unpatched Sackboy. I'm usually all digital, I only got these 2 physical because I had a great discount on them.
Replacing the console is impossible now, so I'll stick with it until they are readily available, and use the warranty then if it isn't fixed by then via firmware.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Wired or wireless?

Is your NAT set to open and type 2 if on wired?

Store works and everything else just game updates failing?

Edit: I’ve just seen that digital works so scrap that. Fucking weird one that is.

Last edited:

Rob_27

So I got my Series X valhalla refunded and now purchased ps4 version on disc.

Why is there no option to upgrade valhalla from disc!! The game is out the ps5 is out. What's the beef ffs.

At least MS had smart delivery this is quite poor.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

I have a Samsung U28H750 Monitor 28'' 4K Ultra HD, 3840 x 2160, 60 hz and it doesn't support 2160p once connected with my PS5.

What the hell is happening? Now it's just 1080p/60HZ.

Top Bottom