• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Zheph

And what percentage of games do you think will actually have some new SSD-enabled gameplay?

I said "for the most part" because I think the majority of games aren't going to change much. Level designs not being limited will be the most consistent change I'm betting.. and that's awesome, but it's not going to change the games that much IMO..

Stuff like Ratchet barely moves the needle for me.. it's an action platformer... where you can jump between worlds quickly. It's essentially... "no load times, but with a small gameplay twist."

"Even bigger QTE fueled set pieces" also doesn't really move the needle for me lol
I don't know and I don't want to pretend to be an insider as I'm not but I am vaguely aware of a multiplayer FPS with time travel mechanics only possible thanks to a SSD. I don't know which studio, when or where but there are (at least this one) games that will be based on it so the percentage might be low indeed

Nymphae

Banned
Anyone using any analog stick covers? What's good?

I've never used them before, but I want to keep my sticks pristine this time if I can. My launch DS4 sticks basically have no grip on them at all anymore, they're still playable but I don't like how that feels really.

The texturing they added could have been increased a bit IMO. I feel like that's still the weak point on the controller, I know those sticks are going to wear down in years, why can't they find a more suitable material.

Nymphae

Banned
Also I'm very curious about the internal wear these things are going to go through. Playing the rocket ship segments in Astro, the rumble is fucking intense and I wonder how long these mechanisms will hold up.

xacto

Xbox One X and Series X gameplay footage - by extrapolation, this is what we will get on PlayStation systems as well. I don't feel at all impressed at the performance displayed by the game, I am really not sure how it will work out on December 10th when it is released.

You can basically see how systems struggle with the stutter and slowdowns, especially on the older console. And being a first person shooter definitely doesn't help with the screen tearing, but that's just my guess. But I'd never play this on the last-gen consoles anyway.

Also Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem :

9OetNiQ.png

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Xbox One X and Series X gameplay footage - by extrapolation, this is what we will get on PlayStation systems as well. I don't feel at all impressed at the performance displayed by the game, I am really not sure how it will work out on December 10th when it is released.

You can basically see how systems struggle with the stutter and slowdowns, especially on the older console. And being a first person shooter definitely doesn't help with the screen tearing, but that's just my guess. But I'd never play this on the last-gen consoles anyway.

Also Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem :

9OetNiQ.png

Looks ok, but not impressive, pop ins look bad as well and immersion breaking. But the feel of scale of the city is wonderful. Also not gonna touch that filth until they release the next gen patch.

ToadMan

I put in a 10 hour sesh yesterday to finish up my evil play through of inFamous to get the Plat. I can’t get over how great the game feels at 60fps. I wish every game had included an uncapped framerate toggle so we could see this boost everywhere.

Cant decide what to do next. Finish Death Stranding, start playing Ghost of Tsushima, try Godfall, try Miles....decisions

Vote GOT!

I loved that game.

ToadMan

I don’t know how this counts as a confirmation of GOWR for PS4 ....

I mean Ryan saying “I’m not gonna talk about that” just says to me that decision isn’t something he’s aware of.

He doesn’t strike me as a guy big into his gaming - I’d assume he leaves those decisions to the studio and the PS division leadership. They’re not gonna discuss that at a board meeting.

So I’d take that statement exactly how he said it - not talking about that today - because he hasn’t been briefed on it.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I don't know and I don't want to pretend to be an insider as I'm not but I am vaguely aware of a multiplayer FPS with time travel mechanics only possible thanks to a SSD. I don't know which studio, when or where but there are (at least this one) games that will be based on it so the percentage might be low indeed

Sounds like deathloop.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finsihed spiderman. The final boss is probably their best setpiece/boss fight ever. Amazing graphics and action. Just phenomenal stuff.

Story was just as good as Spiderman 1, and I really liked the twists.

Overall, it took me 15 hours according to the PS OS clock. Seems about right since i played it for 2-4 hours everyday since thursday. But I did go and collect a bunch of stuff. Didnt do many side missions or challenges so i suspect i still have around 10 hours of content left. I dont think the length of the game is going to be a problem for anyone.

One thing I didnt like was how they safe they played it. Uncharted Lost Legacy had this great open world chapter where they completely redesigned their puzzles and challenges that had gotten so stale over the course of the franchise. it breathe new life into the franchise and made the game feel fresh even if it was for those 3-4 hours you spent exploring that level. i didnt get that feeling from miles. the puzzles and collectibles were still very simple. these guys are really talented and can make some killer puzzles but they dont want to add them to spiderman for some reason.

its still a great game and easily the best looking ray traced game ever made and an easy recommendation.

ToadMan

Finsihed spiderman. The final boss is probably their best setpiece/boss fight ever. Amazing graphics and action. Just phenomenal stuff.

Story was just as good as Spiderman 1, and I really liked the twists.

Overall, it took me 15 hours according to the PS OS clock. Seems about right since i played it for 2-4 hours everyday since thursday. But I did go and collect a bunch of stuff. Didnt do many side missions or challenges so i suspect i still have around 10 hours of content left. I dont think the length of the game is going to be a problem for anyone.

One thing I didnt like was how they safe they played it. Uncharted Lost Legacy had this great open world chapter where they completely redesigned their puzzles and challenges that had gotten so stale over the course of the franchise. it breathe new life into the franchise and made the game feel fresh even if it was for those 3-4 hours you spent exploring that level. i didnt get that feeling from miles. the puzzles and collectibles were still very simple. these guys are really talented and can make some killer puzzles but they dont want to add them to spiderman for some reason.

its still a great game and easily the best looking ray traced game ever made and an easy recommendation.

So cross gen PS games redeemed?

ToadMan

nah. it still feels too familiar. great game though.

I mean more in terms of not feeling like it's a last gen game in terms of scope, performance, gameplay options. I understand this is an iteration on the SM gameplay so it's not gonna have a whole load of new mechanics.

Just thinking ahead to future cross gen games.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
i recall a GG dev tweeting something similar about Horizon showing up on PC just months before they announced the port. They might not have any plans but Sony might have something cooking somewhere else.
I'm not saying I think it's coming to PC, but the easiest non-answer a business can ever give you is, "We have no plans to _____." It means literally nothing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The MM thing is obviously a mistake since it mentions other consoles...re-using a template for another game that had console exclusive timed content.

i recall a GG dev tweeting something similar about Horizon showing up on PC just months before they announced the port. They might not have any plans but Sony might have something cooking somewhere else.

You really think they wouldn't let them know.... you cray?

That's not to say Sony hasn't created an environment of mistrust in this respect... they have done so where they never should have. So now Jimmy boy has to deal with that on all the interviews he does... which are far and few and handpicked (even there).

Last edited:
Does anyone know or have any opinions on the PS5 backwards compatibility and it's inability to play games above 60fps even with an update.

It's literally the only thing I'm disappointed with. Like Rocket league is a game that will be continually updated but it can never be played again on PS5 at its actual potential while it can on Xbox?

Seems wrong that. Surely an easy fix for Sony no?

What's up with this? Is it real?

I believe it is just their legal definition of the word exclusive. It does not mean they will port the game, it just means they can do it if they want without angry people taking them to court. Same as when they say up to 60fps and so on.

Edit: most likely a mistake. They can't say available on PC when it's not.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Does anyone know or have any opinions on the PS5 backwards compatibility and it's inability to play games above 60fps even with an update.

It's literally the only thing I'm disappointed with. Like Rocket league is a game that will be continually updated but it can never be played again on PS5 at its actual potential while it can on Xbox?

Seems wrong that. Surely an easy fix for Sony no?

It's hard to say if it's an easy fix or something they limited for a good reason on PS4.

It's hard to say if it's an easy fix or something they limited for a good reason on PS4.

Yes but a PS5 can easily play rocket league at 120 fps for example yet Sony's Back Compat solution is preventing it.

Seems a flaw when you consider there are more and more of these types of games that have one release that are continuously updated.

These games can't be updated to take advantage of the hardware seems crazy.

Yes but a PS5 can easily play rocket league at 120 fps for example yet Sony's Back Compat solution is preventing it.

Seems a flaw when you consider there are more and more of these types of games that have one release that are continuously updated.

These games can't be updated to take advantage of the hardware seems crazy.

Some sort of hard limit for PS4 titles?

If I understood it correctly the developer has to make a PS5 version of the game to get the framerate to go above 60FPs.

Some sort of hard limit for PS4 titles?

If I understood it correctly the developer has to make a PS5 version of the game to get the framerate to go above 60FPs.

Yeah that is exactly what it seems to be.

Seems quite a flaw imo. Hope it is changed long term.

So Fortnite, PUBG Rocket League, Cod Warzone etc are all stuck on 60 fps on PS5 unless the devs release a PS5 version of the same game.

Out of that list only Fortnite is definitely getting one. Long term that leaves the PS5 as a worse place to play these games than the Xbox but it's for no obvious reason that this limitation exists?

Yeah that is exactly what it seems to be.

Seems quite a flaw imo. Hope it is changed long term.

So Fortnite, PUBG Rocket League, Cod Warzone etc are all stuck on 60 fps on PS5 unless the devs release a PS5 version of the same game.

Out of that list only Fortnite is definitely getting one. Long term that leaves the PS5 as a worse place to play these games than the Xbox but it's for no obvious reason that this limitation exists?

I don't doubt the PS5 has enough power to run those games at 120FPs.

With that said I'm happy that BC works pretty well on the system. Sure it's not on the level as Microsofts BC but it's still extremely good. Definitely makes me want to play some PS4 games on the PS5 due to the framerate upgrades.

I don't doubt the PS5 has enough power to run those games at 120FPs.

With that said I'm happy that BC works pretty well on the system. Sure it's not on the level as Microsofts BC but it's still extremely good. Definitely makes me want to play some PS4 games on the PS5 due to the framerate upgrades.

Oh yeah for sure it does work well and I'm looking forward to it for lots of games.

Just long term there needs to be an aim to remove this limit due to the existence of these types of games that are continually updated and won't have a sequel.

Will be important to the Devs too in sure.

Oh yeah for sure it does work well and I'm looking forward to it for lots of games.

Just long term there needs to be an aim to remove this limit due to the existence of these types of games that are continually updated and won't have a sequel.

Will be important to the Devs too in sure.

It could be a curse of having such a low level API. From what I understand Microsoft can do all those improvements due to the wrapper that they use. Unfortunately this results in a solution that's further from the metal than Sonys.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I had a scary moment last night. I booted up MM and it froze on the start screen. So I tried to exit the game but it took a while to close. I panicked and unplugged the ps5. The systems fine now but I'll try not to do that again.

Hey so, you know that cool graphic with all the particles that happened the first time you loaded up the PS5? ...why doesn't that happen every time? How can I get mine to do that again?

decisions

So...Can someone explain this black magic to me?

I wanted to use headphones/3D Audio with Demon's Souls. The simplest option for me to use is my pair of Bose 700s which are great general purpose headphones, by plugging them into the controller. However they do not sound as good in wired mode as they do wireless for various reasons. Unfortunately the PS5 still does not support wireless bluetooth headsets, so I can't use them in wireless mode in the PS5. They sounded decent in wired mode, but I looked over at my old pair of Gen1 Astro A50s and thought about giving them a try.

I hadn't used them in years but as I examined them I remembered there were two cables needed to use them with the PS4: the USB cable to power the base station, and the optical cable to transmit audio to the base station. I realized there was no optical port in the PS5, so I figured I was screwed. I see that Astro made an HDMI-optical splitter just for the PS5 and XSX which have both removed the optical port (however this paired with firmware for Gen3 and Gen4 A50s, which made me think that there was definitely no chance I was getting any use out of my old headphones). But just for fun I tried powering the base station with a USB-microUSB cable I had in my PS3. And somehow I turned on the headphones and they work. Surround Sound, game/voice mixer, everything.

This makes no sense to me - somehow the PS5 is transmitting audio and power through the USB-port, and I hope to God this is not some kind of mistake that Sony will patch later - I am getting use out of 6 year old headphones that I thought were long left to collect dust.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Capture codec for the 4k is definitely not good. The video doesn't even look 4k lol they need to update this. 4k capture on the Xbox one x 3 years ago had way better fidelity

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Spiderman looks goddamn incredible. And WOW is it fun. For some reason im enjoying it much more than the first one.

but holy fuck is it buggy. Just played for 3 hours and had to restart the console twice, as well as google a fix on a framerate issue.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Capture codec for the 4k is definitely not good. The video doesn't even look 4k lol they need to update this. 4k capture on the Xbox one x 3 years ago had way better fidelity

Xbox Series X maxes out at 1080p@60fps SDR for 30 seconds vs PS5 4K@60fps HDR up to 15 minutes automatically or more via built in Share Factory Studio app in WebM or MP4. I've checked many on youtube and they are extremely clean for an internal recording.

Top Bottom