• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Bryank75

Banned
what do you think would be the likelihood of this? Bethesda has seemingly gotten into bed with Sony for next gen here at that start. That purchase would be wild. I feel likeBethesda are too big to buy though.
They could easily afford to buy them.. they were last valued at 2.5 Billion. Even if they asked for 3-3.5, it would be fine.... Sony have over 30 billion in cash and cash equivalents and could (would probably) use debt financing because debt is so cheap right now....

The issue is that Zenimax is not up for selling right now, they probably think they can raise the value of the company more and want to be a bigger player in the industry overall...something akin to Epic.

It's more about convincing the management that it is a great idea and giving them a deal / price they cannot resist.

kretos

Banned
That's nearly enough to buy Bethesda / Zenimax at it's last valuation of 2.5 billion (probably more now but not by much) .... do it Sony!

worldburn-top.jpg

They could easily afford to buy them.. they were last valued at 2.5 Billion. Even if they asked for 3-3.5, it would be fine.... Sony have over 30 billion in cash and cash equivalents and could (would probably) use debt financing because debt is so cheap right now....

The issue is that Zenimax is not up for selling right now, they probably think they can raise the value of the company more and want to be a bigger player in the industry overall...something akin to Epic.

It's more about convincing the management that it is a great idea and giving them a deal / price they cannot resist.
Not that I think this is a good idea, but entertaining it for a second, Sony wouldn't necessarily need to purchase 100% of the shares. They could hold a majority of the shares and pretty much take the control of things.

So actually they could spend a lot less than what you're assuming.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Seems they are updating their product page unless I missed this earlier

Last edited:

GRIEVEZ

I dont think its a smart choice to try and acquire "big" studios... Would rather see Sony acquire "smaller" studios who would jive well with their portfolio or bring something unique to the table (also smaller studios are more agile and easier managed, so less risk)

Imho Bluepoint would be a no brainer, Ember Lab if its first game is good (looks like it...), Asobo, HouseMarque, Kojima Productions, Turtle Rock, Level 5, Ready at Dawn, etc.

That sort of leaves VR specific game studios.. but I havnt played any VR games, besides the RE demo at a friends place...

Edit: Ohh and Bungie!... but thats gonna be a big ass check... But damn that would be nice... :X

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Not that I think this is a good idea, but entertaining it for a second, Sony wouldn't necessarily need to purchase 100% of the shares. They could hold a majority of the shares and pretty much take the control of things.

So actually they could spend a lot less than what you're assuming.
True, I did assume they would want full ownership. But anything above 51% would give them the leverage they needed to control things.

NXGamer

Maybe NXGamer NXGamer can tell us about what those artifacts might be and why they seem to be there as in SlimySnakes post, also what was seen in my post, the small lod or pop in and his thoughts on this being representative of gameplay?
They look like simple Shading errors on her arms and missed Passed on AA, that is zoomed in though so this is just great use of resources to maximise the Frame-Budget. No point in AA objects that may be cheaper to skip in a simple Z test, I really need better quality footage to look at these in depth though at this level.

Bryank75

Banned
I dont think its a smart choice to try and acquire "big" studios... Would rather see Sony acquire "smaller" studios who would jive well with their portfolio or bring something unique to the table (also smaller studios are more agile and easier managed, so less risk)

Imho Bluepoint would be a no brainer, Ember Labs if its first game is good (looks like it...), Asobo, HouseMarque, Kojima Productions, Turtle Rock, Level 5, Ready at Dawn, etc.

That sort of leaves VR specific game studios.. but I havnt played any VR games, besides the RE demo at a friends place...
I've been thinking about this a bit.... and they already manage 15 or 16 studios, I think adding too many would possibly lower quality and impact budgets.

So my thinking now is to buy a larger publisher that other platforms are used to getting games from..... make most of their games exclusive or timed and push the FOMO on PC and other platforms.

Zenimax is profitable on it's own, so they could just let them work away with minimal interference and selling on PSN would give them bigger profits as they would be 1st party.

Other cheaper target would be Kadokawa (From parent company)

Last edited:

GRIEVEZ

Hmmm... what are those two holes on the back of the DualSense4 does anyone know?...

kretos

Banned
lol Sony could you just fuck off for like one second and let the multiplats breathe?

It's maybe time for Microsoft to stop acting like the good guys and start putting their hands on the dirt...

man they should have just made this an actual exclusive game if they're in bed with sony this much

Hooooooboy. Another moneyhat and a pile of garbage from Sony-Enix

This is getting more and more gross. This next-gen is going to be a complete shit show.

Way to treat your laying customers like 2nd class citizens based on the plattform they play on.

20200803_192229.gif

EducatedSentimentalHumpbackwhale-small.gif

Buying publishers makes no sense, the only reason they have the value that do is because they release content on multiple platforms including PlayStation. Why buy them which would mean cutting the amount of money they can bring in when you were already going to get the games they make anyway and not have to spend billions in the process?

Tqaulity

If you read the details on the HD Camera, they talk a bit about the new create button and the PS5's built in background removal tech. Pretty cool!

Personalize your gameplay sharing
Featuring dual lenses for 1080p capture and a built-in stand, the HD camera works seamlessly with the PS5 console’s background removal tools to put you in the spotlight.
https://www.neogaf.com/javascript:void(0);

1080p capture
Capture yourself in smooth, sharp full-HD with the camera’s dual wide-angle lenses as you live out your most epic gaming moments. Quickly create a recording or a broadcast of yourself and your gameplay, with your DualSense™ wireless controller’s create button1.

Background removal tools
Take center stage in your productions using the PlayStation®5 console’s built-in background removal tools.

With the HD camera, you can add yourself to your gameplay videos while broadcasting1 in picture-in-picture mode, with the ability to crop the background or lose it completely with a green screen.

Sony seems to always be 1 step behind with their cameras. the 720P for the PS4 was not great. They will finally be at 1080p for the PS5 gen. We really should have a 4K camera but it looks like that won't happen till the PS6

GRIEVEZ

Sony seems to always be 1 step behind with their cameras. the 720P for the PS4 was not great. They will finally be at 1080p for the PS5 gen. We really should have a 4K camera but it looks like that won't happen till the PS6
Hmm an option for 4k would be nice, but than again... you'll be cropped most of the time :p

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
do you know anything about when Sony is going to do another PS5 event as this one has no major news like they said? also do you know anything about Silent Hill Rumor that's been going on for months now? if you can say ofcourse, if not then give us a hint or something :messenger_beaming:

I do not know anything concrete about Silent Hill sadly.

I think Sony will have another event near the end of this month and they could very well say something right after this SOP.

aclar00

Sure I believe it COULD happen.

This game, if done right would be probably my best game of next gen.

There has been a lot of talk about it recently seems a lot of people would like it.

I just hope (if they do it) that it uses substantially the same camera angles as the original. I had SOCOM PS3 and couldnt play it bc of the over the shoulder camera...just felt like the character blocked my view.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They could literally end the SOP with the announcement of the next event and then spread it all over social media.

I think they’ll only announce a date when they are ready so if the PS5 event is by the end of the month, they’ll not announce the date early and risk moving it.

Okay, this might not be 100% PS5 related, but I thought it was interesting. It may be even worth its own thread.
PlayStation has been firing on all cyllinders when it comes to first party games, not only they get commercial and critical success but also they get lots of awards, and among those awards they get the most precious one: The Game of The Year Award.
There's this page where they compile almost every, if not every, game of the year award given by different outlets and events around the globe and what I found to be curious was the fact that all the way back from 2003 to 2019 Sony and Nintendo are the ones putting games that almost every year end up being on the top 3 most awarded games. So with that said, I wanted to post this list of the top 3 game of the year winners from 2003 to 2019:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 18 awards (including Awards 2004) / LUCASARTS
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 8 awards / NINTENDO
Call of Duty - 4 awards (including Awards 2004) / ACTIVISION

Half-Life 2 - 21 awards / VALVE
Halo 2 - 11 awards (including Awards 2005) / MICROSOFT
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 9 awards (including Awards 2005) / ROCKSTAR

Resident Evil 4 - 35 awards / CAPCOM
Shadow of the Colossus - 6 awards (including Awards 2006) / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
God of War - 4 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 40 awards (including Awards 2007) / BETHESDA
Gears of War - 34 awards (including Awards 2007) / MICROSOFT
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 26 awards / NINTENDO

Bioshock - 47 awards / 2K
Super Mario Galaxy - 45 awards (including Awards 2008) / NINTENDO
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 22 awards (including Awards 2008) / ACTIVISION

Fallout 3 - 69 awards (including Awards 2009) / BETHESDA
GTA IV - 39 awards / ROCKSTAR
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 38 awards / KONAMI

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 111 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 30 awards / WARNER BROS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 25 awards (including Awards 2010) / ACTIVISION

Red Dead Redemption - 111 awards / ROCKSTAR
Mass Effect 2 - 101 awards / EA
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 19 awards / NINTENDO

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 227 awards (including Awards 2012) / BETHESDA
Portal 2 - 58 awards / VALVE
Batman: Arkham City - 40 awards / WARNER BROS

The Walking Dead: The Game - 75 awards / TELLTALE
Journey - 57 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Far Cry 3 - 51 awards / UBISOFT

The Last of Us - 249 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Grand Theft Auto V - 160 awards / ROCKSTAR
Bioshock Infinite - 43 awards / 2K

Dragon Age: Inquisition - 134 awards / EA
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 49 awards / WARNER BROS
Mario Kart 8 - 28 awards / NINTENDO

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 257 awards / CD PROJEKT RED
Fallout 4 - 58 awards / BETHESDA
Bloodborne - 31 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 165 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Overwatch - 102 awards / ACTIVISION
DOOM - 29 awards / BETHESDA

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 189 awards / NINTENDO
Horizon Zero Dawn - 52 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Super Mario Odyssey - 26 awards / NINTENDO

God of War - 198 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 135 awards (including Awards 2019) / ROCKSTAR
Marvel's Spider-Man - 16 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

Death Stranding - 80 awards / SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 78 awards / CAPCOM
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 59 awards / ACTIVISION

Sony has put 11 games on the Top 3 most GOTY winners since 2003
Nintendo has put 7
Activision, Bethesda and Rockstar have put 5
Warner Bros has put 3
Microsoft, Valve and EA have put 2

This really puts into perspective why Sony is so commited on giving devs all the time they need to develop a game, they not only want the commercial and critical success, they want the awards!

Top Bottom