• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Instant Access System Will Be Called Activities

Bartski

Gold Member
A few months back, a new PlayStation 5 system that will allow instant access to select parts of games has been teased by Mark Cerny. Today, we finally learn how this system is called and what it will allow players to do in the soon to be released racing game WCR 9.

This system which will be called Activities has been revealed during a presentation given by WCR 9 director Alan Jarniou and product manager Sébastien Waxin, as reported by Game Reactor Spain. The PlayStation 5 Activities system will allow instant access directly from the menu to races or other parts of the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
from last year's Wired:

V8Qw6ko.png

trikster40

Interesting, I'd love to see this in action. Wonder how they'll utilize this in other games than sports though. I can't imagine you could jump to something in a game like, say, God of War 2.

splattered

So we can load up specific pieces of the game instead of booting to the menu screen?

How revolutionary... yawn.

I think this and the loading multiple games both MS and Sony are hyping isn't anything to get excited about.

Faster loading times sure, but i'm not ADD to the point that i need to hop all over the place constantly.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Interesting, I'd love to see this in action. Wonder how they'll utilize this in other games than sports though. I can't imagine you could jump to something in a game like, say, God of War 2.

I'm not sure about the situation outside of MP, but from what I understand. The Dashboard will be able to access what section of a game you're up to and either resume straight to that point, or if a game has missions/quest choices, you may be able to select and jump to that Mission/Quest.

trikster40

I'm not sure about the situation outside of MP, but from what I understand. The Dashboard will be able to access what section of a game you're up to and either resume straight to that point, or if a game has missions/quest choices, you may be able to select and jump to that Mission/Quest.

Maybe jump straight to a boss fight or something else without having to go through menus or load your saved game? Definitely piques my interest.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Maybe jump straight to a boss fight or something else without having to go through menus or load your saved game? Definitely piques my interest.

Yeah. It should be interesting. It's far easier to see the implementation in regards to any game with MP involved than single player content for sure.

CamHostage

And just multiplayer queues, that's a huge deal. Instead of booting the game just to see if anything's going on (currently you can see where friends are on a console, but otherwise it's tough to tell if a multiplayer game is worth booting up until you have booted it up,) you can see some activity just by scrolling through your library.

I also like the Activities system having access to like Daily Challenges or Special Events in a game. Some types of single-player, story-based games may have trouble justifying these mini-events (it's also kind of annoying if you're addicted to a game and it has this like gacha-type "just one more..." mechangic added,) but challenges are popular in a ton of games and they help get you to enjoy a game beyond the standard structure.

Faster loading times sure, but i'm not ADD to the point that i need to hop all over the place constantly.

I mean, I guess I thought the same thing about my entertainment collection and the movies and shows I cared about until Youtube and Netflix and Spotify showed up...

Last edited:

Portugeezer

So we can load up specific pieces of the game instead of booting to the menu screen?

I think this and the loading multiple games both MS and Sony are hyping isn't anything to get excited about.

You maybe are not, but the upcoming social media addict generation is.

It's all about engagement.

Tomeru

Its called convinience. Getting to where you want asap. Thats good. And as soon as you'll use that, going back to "normal" usage will annoy you the fuck out.

This is the way.

Psykodad

Banned

If PS5 allows instant acces to the game, without booting sequence, this actually makes a lot of sense.

No booting, no menu select, just play straight away.

Edit:

Technically, the OS is the menu then. Lol

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
They said as much, quite strongly, and I'm really glad to see we were barking up the right tree in thinking something like this would be coming.

At an absolute minimum level, quite a few games are partitioned into several different modes, so being able to get to where you want, at PS5 speeds? That sounds pretty awesome.

This sounds like more than minimum, though, and that's exciting.

As an example, I'd like the ability for something as simple as to instantly jump into the Fortnite shop to check the daily skins, jump out, and be done with it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Am I the only one confused about this? What does this actually do? Does this save on download sizes? They keep talking about accessing only certain parts of a game. Makes me think download sizes can be actively controlled by the user, which would be fantastic.

Edit:

Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up. Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like

So this is about shortening loading times then? I need to see this demonstrated. Is there video of the WCR presentation?

Last edited:

jakinov

This sounds cool. I'm glad Sony went from the company who didn't even have an in-game interface for 2 years and lacked features the Xbox had a year before at launch to actually creating new innovative features and during the last gen whenever Microsoft had something unique, Sony would match with some as good or better. Moving PlayStation to Silicon Valley was one of the best moves they made. Japan is notorious for being bad for software development due to how they treat developers, their work/design philosophies and view of the field in general.

yurinka

I think it will be very cool to go directly from the OS to the specific game mode/mission you want.

If you combine all the time we spent this generation seeing logos, menus and loading screens, it's a lot of time. For some games this is a pain in the ass that makes you avoid certain game because it's boring to spend time there.

Moving PlayStation to Silicon Valley was one of the best moves they made. Japan is notorious for being bad for software development due to how they treat developers, their work/design philosophies and view of the field in general.
Last time I checked it PlayStation is still a Japanese multinational company and the PS5 and its softwere is designed and made by mostly the same people who made the PS4.

Regarding working conditions, USA -and particularly Silicon Valley, and not only in gaming- is one of the most crunch friendly countries in the world, not very different than Japan.

Am I the only one confused about this? What does this actually do? Does this save on download sizes? They keep talking about accessing only certain parts of a game. Makes me think download sizes can be actively controlled by the user, which would be fantastic.

Edit:

So this is about shortening loading times then? I need to see this demonstrated. Is there video of the WCR presentation?
Before running the game you'll be able to see in the OS UI open multiplayer matches ready to join specifying stuff like "it's that stage" etc. Or in a single player game you'd be able to load directly "episode 2, stage 9". You click on it and the game runs that specific part directly skipping game/company/tech logo screens and other unneeded menus and related loading screens that before you had to see.

Internally, games seems lo label which parts are needed for these things (imagine that a game has separated chunks for story mode, casual multi, ranked multi.. and in addition to this a separated chunk for each level).

So maybe, in addition to this feature, to optimize SSD space, install and downloading times, the console may only install -or to install first- the parts you'll play soon (first levels on a single player game) or automatically -or allowing you to manually- uninstall the parts you may not play again (story episodes you already completed).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
All those menus / boot screens were hiding data loading before; none of that should really be needed this gen either way with the SSD unless devs force you to look at them.

If this feature was on PS4 you'd likely still have to sit through just as much time as it took to get to the thing you wanted to load.. on PS5 hopefully we can jump right into a games menus without fake loading screens anyways, and this feature is more of a shortcut UX wise but not much of a time saver.

Esca

Sounds interesting. I'm really looking forward to the os fatties these new systems will have

jakinov

Last time I checked it PlayStation is still a Japanese multinational company and the PS5 and its softwere is designed and made by mostly the same people who made the PS4.

Regarding working conditions, USA -and particularly Silicon Valley, and not only in gaming- is one of the most crunch friendly countries in the world, not very different than Japan.

PlayStation is a multi-national company in the sense that so is Xbox/Microsoft. PlayStation is Japanese in origin and because they are owned by Japanese companies. They have moved the PlayStation headquarters to America (specifically California or Silicon Valley) since the PS3 days. It's where the President/CEO of PlayStation operate and many of the key executives and other key people. From job posting of the end and beginning of the PS4 days it heavily implied it was the people in California working on the new OS for PlayStation 4. Then you have the PS5 UX VP who was talking about the PS5's new OS a month or so back who also resides in California. Even the guy mentioned in the article is from one of the PlayStation locations in California (not SV). I can't account for all the employees that work fro PlayStation. But I'm pretty sure they moved a lot the software development work to California.

Working conditions broadly speaking vary depending on if you are doing regular development vs a game development. Japan is said to not value any kind of software developer. I haven't worked in Japan in software development so a lot of it is anecdotal from the Internet, a paper I read or from articles so it's not coming from personal experience but the overall sentiment is overall negative. And it's evident that Japan isn't producing a lot of software that isn't games. There were scholars from Japan that criticized and tried to explain why Japan doesn't care for them and why they pay them so poorly. California and mainly SV, is where developers got make a shit to of money, get nice weather, get live in a nice city and get a bunch of perks at work that a lot of the best developers want to move/work there. )The downside is you probably won't be able to afford a house even with that extra money) You likely aren't going to find a lot of good devs in a country that pays software developers as much as janitors. In contrast to an area, that where you are paid well and it wouldn't be too rare to find workplace that give you free massages, free food, and random amenities.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think it will be very cool to go directly from the OS to the specific game mode/mission you want.

If you combine all the time we spent this generation seeing logos, menus and loading screens, it's a lot of time. For some games this is a pain in the ass that makes you avoid certain game because it's boring to spend time there.

Before running the game you'll be able to see in the OS UI open multiplayer matches ready to join specifying stuff like "it's that stage" etc. Or in a single player game you'd be able to load directly "episode 2, stage 9". You click on it and the game runs that specific part directly skipping game/company/tech logo screens and other unneeded menus and related loading screens that before you had to see.

Internally, games seems lo label which parts are needed for these things (imagine that a game has separated chunks for story mode, casual multi, ranked multi.. and in addition to this a separated chunk for each level).

So maybe, in addition to this feature, to optimize SSD space, install and downloading times, the console may only install -or to install first- the parts you'll play soon (first levels on a single player game) or automatically -or allowing you to manually- uninstall the parts you may not play again (story episodes you already completed).
Oooooooo. Defintely a nice quality of life enhancement. I like that. Thanks for explaining.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
So basically loading saves or MP matchmaking will be accessible straight from the OS, correct?
MS promised and even demoed this before the Xbox One launch and it was a complete lie, but Sony sounds like they’ve actually done it which is amazing. It was one of the features I was most looking forward to this gen.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
MS promised and even demoed this before the Xbox One launch and it was a complete lie, but Sony sounds like they’ve actually done it which is amazing. It was one of the features I was most looking forward to this gen.
I don't know about all that sir. I remember the snap feature, which did actually work. They didn't say anything about loading up a specific part of a game. You're gonna have to show proof of this claim or stop spreading lies for no other reason than to fester your apparently already toxic narrative.

AllBizness

Banned
This could be really good and I'm convinced it'll be a game changer, nobody wants to be on menus for long. Well here comes SONY to save the day.
PS5 will be where most multiplats are played if this is true. Also this would bring me back to games I left eons ago like The Division 2 and Destiny 2. The loading times in the Division are atrocious and it takes forever to spawn on anyone in your squard or fast travel. This would do away with all that.

Last edited:
Oh yes please !!!

Jumping straight to level from the OS bypassing all the intro screens would be such a huge time saver.

I sit through a minute loading up Division 2 but that's because i'm on an SSD. When i was on the stock HDD of my PS4 Pro, getting into the game and into a mission from the PS4 menu would take over 3 minutes.

It could have tiles like "Start Muspelheim Trials", "Start Niflheim Trials" or just "Go to [Realm]". Open world games could also feature quests like "Start/Continue [side-quest]" and you would load in the closest fast travel point to the quest with it tracked in game. It really brings the "instant" feel to jump into a game.

Though I can't see linear games benefiting that much from this other than "Continue campaign".

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't know about all that sir. I remember the snap feature, which did actually work. They didn't say anything about loading up a specific part of a game. You're gonna have to show proof of this claim or stop spreading lies for no other reason than to fester your apparently already toxic narrative.
Toxic narrative? WTF are you talking about? I'm saying good work Sony here lol. Pull your head in.

"games will be able to share player stats with Xbox Live and each other; to learn, evolve, and provide you with the best possible matchmaking available," according to Microsoft's Mike Lavin.

More importantly, Smart Match frees players from wasting time waiting in lobbies by searching for players and matches in the background. "This means that less popular multiplayer modes and maps that have traditionally taken a long time to find players suddenly become playable," Lavin says. Additionally, you can watch TV or play a one game while a friend sets up a match for you and your party in another.

Top Bottom