• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstaion Portable is the WiiU to your PS5...close thread

Deft Beck

I get it, yall wanted a Vita. I WANTED A NEW VITA But the moment Sony said remote play we should have stopped comparing it to Steam deck and switch. But we are still mad.

It's an add on controller to your ps5. Heck. you could get this over the dualsense pro controller.

If only it worked as an additional controller for the PS5, too. But it is what it is. It's an enthusiast device.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I for one am actually pretty stoked for it, especially after reading the previews saying it's lag free, etc.

I get it too, there's way better devices out there for portable gaming but the Portal should just be viewed as a deluxe controller. I wouldn't dream to take it outside the house.

For the people saying they want a new PSP/VIta. Think about it, Sony can't even be bothered to get a strong 1st party software effort for PSVR or PSVR2, you think they're gonna do anything for a handheld that plays the equivalent of PS3 style games?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Personally i don't care about any new Sony handheld at this point. Nothing they could make would compete with the Steam Deck or ROG Ally.

Playstation Portal is still an insult to all the people who want a sony handheld revival though

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
If only it worked as an additional controller for the PS5, too.
Has anyone confirmed that it can't? Given how much Sony always loved asymmetric gameplay with their add-ons, I'd sort of expect we get simul play on both screens - if not the option to play with screen off.

Unknown?

The experience was seamless on the Wii U tho.

No online connections needed and it never gave me a single problem like Remote Play has.

If the Portal had some sort of superior tech and it matched the Wii U experience I'd get it but I'm not.
It is though. The dongle is lag free.

fart town usa

Gold Member

No online connections needed and it never gave me a single problem like Remote Play has.

If the Portal had some sort of superior tech and it matched the Wii U experience I'd get it but I'm not.
The Wii U is so effing dope.

I hear you, I'm also worried that it won't be as seamless as the Wii U but I'm tempted to pre-order the Portal in case it does sell out.

fart town usa

Gold Member
When Nintendo of all companies managed to do it better 10 years ago that's how you know this is a lazy cashgrab.
It's also 480p visuals and I think has some proprietary transmitter, the console was designed with it in mind.

I'm willing to hold out hope that the Portal will actually work, and work damn well. If it doesn't, I'll be right there with you.

It's a shame that the thing is completely useless without Wi-Fi. That's what makes the Wii U so clutch, the tech in it is so damn cool.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Joystick, rumble, motion, tethered tablets, what else am I missing?

FWIW, when I borrowed a friends wii u to play XCX, the tablet didn't want to stay paired for whatever reason. It was a pretty bad experience.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I for one am actually pretty stoked for it, especially after reading the previews saying it's lag free, etc.

I get it too, there's way better devices out there for portable gaming but the Portal should just be viewed as a deluxe controller. I wouldn't dream to take it outside the house.

For the people saying they want a new PSP/VIta. Think about it, Sony can't even be bothered to get a strong 1st party software effort for PSVR or PSVR2, you think they're gonna do anything for a handheld that plays the equivalent of PS3 style games?

Maybe they should make a handheld with a cell and have it play the ps3 library natively and stream the ps5 lool

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Joystick, rumble, motion, tethered tablets, what else am I missing?

FWIW, when I borrowed a friends wii u to play XCX, the tablet didn't want to stay paired for whatever reason. It was a pretty bad experience.
Distance or faulty console probably. When you're in the same room as a functioning Wii U it's flawless.

Kilau

It's also 480p visuals and I think has some proprietary transmitter, the console was designed with it in mind.

I'm willing to hold out hope that the Portal will actually work, and work damn well. If it doesn't, I'll be right there with you.

It's a shame that the thing is completely useless without Wi-Fi. That's what makes the Wii U so clutch, the tech in it is so damn cool.
It’s just Wi-Fi, no special tech in the WiiU and game pad. Has some proprietary software though.

AmuroChan

It's a $200 device, man. How the hell this thing is so barebones?

For $200, they're not going to include that many features. The Backbone by itself is $99, and then you have to pay a monthly sub just to use all of its functionality. And that's made by some shitty 3rd party company and the peripheral doesn't include any of the Dualsense's special features.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Wii U gamepad can also function as a 2nd screen, but not on PS Portal

FaO_fgYXEAAVa2U.jpg:large

Killjoy-NL

If only it worked as an additional controller for the PS5, too. But it is what it is. It's an enthusiast device.
It's ideal for me.

Right now, I mostly use PSVR2 to play on my PS5, so my gf can use the tv to watch her soaps and all that.

It's also not practical for me to have a second PS5 in my bedroom (space), so on a lazy day I have to get out of bed to play games.

Playstation Portable is a great solution for someone like me, or in a similar situation.
I can play from my bed, or I can play on my Portable when my gf watches tv, without being cut-off from the real world with PSVR.

And sure, there are alternatives for Remote Play, but I don't own a tablet/laptop and I'm not gonna play on my phone.

I don't get why people take issue with this product.

Last edited:

It's not lag-free as other outlets have claimed. Here's a time-stamp of the IGN video claiming lag-free, but you can clearly see a 1/2 second (which is quite significant and a non-starter for me now) delay when he's using the d-pad to select the games. Digital Foundry pointed this out as well today in their weekly news video.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Distance or faulty console probably. When you're in the same room as a functioning Wii U it's flawless.
It’s just Wi-Fi, no special tech in the WiiU and game pad. Has some proprietary software though.

Wii U didn't have any special tech, just good implementation of old tech. It used Wifi for the gamepad, but it had two Wifi chips, one for internet and another one for direct connection with the Gamepad. And this wifi chip was connected directly to the main board, not an external USB dongle. It also used a special Wifi band to beat interference from other devices and increase stability. All this makes it most likely better than PS Portal for lag lol.

The Wii U that he used had a burnt Wifi chip either in the system or Gamepad.

Tsaki

Wanting a Vita/PSP means wanting their 1st party to be split in half, making some games for the handheld and some games for the PS5. If they had announced that, I'd consider it a bigger mismanagement than the development and launch of the PS3. Thankfully, they just created an accessory, like the Edge and their headsets.
Even Nintendo understood this is not viable anymore.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
For $200, they're not going to include that many features. The Backbone by itself is $99, and then you have to pay a monthly sub just to use all of its functionality. And that's made by some shitty 3rd party company and the peripheral doesn't include any of the Dualsense's special features.
Holy shit, so they already have the sub service that could subsidize costs and none of PS5 controller features that could make it a bare minimum second controller? They are just twisting the knife at this point.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wanting a Vita/PSP means wanting their 1st party to be split in half,
this was already an issue when the Vita came out where Sony couldn't properly support the system with high quality games. With the ever inflating budgets of their recent games a handheld was always a no go.

jm89

I think the whole lag free was regarding the ps link which is for connecting the audio devices.

However some guy tested remote play all the way from spain whilst his ps5 was in england.

With the right connection it's pretty viable as a remote play device out of the house.

Top Bottom