• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Monster Hunter for the first time: is this game extremely complicated or is it just me?

dezzy8

It’s confusing as hell for first time players. I tried to play Monster Hunter over the years but it never clicked until I played World. It’s awesome once you get into it though.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
MH systems and menu UI is not great. Good news is if you like the gameplay, and you get used to this, every other MH game is just as convoluted, so it's a good investment.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If you've never played a MH before, no. . . it isn't just you. There is a lot going on under the hood that the game does not tell you. The hunters guide is good for the basics but you legit need to check out videos to understand what's going on.

Arrekzgaming - or however the fellas name is spelled - has an excellent series on the different weapons of the game that you should check out.

. . . that said, once you pick a weapon to get good with, it does kind of start snowballing from there in terms of things clicking.

Saber

Gold Member
Its not so user friendly and not focused on single-player experience either.

I played long ago the PS4 version and took me alot to beat it. Its basically a chore of game. Everything feels like routine in this game.

Kacho

I mean, it's complicated compared to the dumbed down trash we get today. I wouldn't expect an enthusiast gamer to have any issues learning modern Monster Hunter. The rough edges from older titles have been sanded off and you're left with a pretty accessible game IMO. There's some level of commitment involved to come to grips with everything, but that's a good thing. The gameplay loop is literally just eat food > hunt monster > craft better gear. The more time you invest in a weapon the better you get with it.

StickStack

Neo Member
and not focused on single-player experience either.

False.

The MH devs have gone to great lengths to avoid making multiplayer a thing and when they finally capitulated they made multiplayer quite convoluted to get into a group and do anything together.

MH devs have said basically forever that they want the game to be single player and are only adding multiplayer capability because the community is so loud about it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Don't know about the first but me and my son spent ages in the tutorial of Rise and gave up; uninstalled. Just trying to click pass long-winded text bubbles gave me stress hormones. The way coop is implemented.. Holy shit the game gave me bad vibes..

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

It is. The fact that you can go alone doesn't mean the game is balanced around it. The targets you battle are balanced around multiple players ganging on them. With one player you are only dependant on your assistant to draw your target of your ass enought for you to drink potions, which btw are a drag depending on your class, and sharp your weapon.

I played the game start to finish and can atest this. The targets are usually very aggressive giving you less time to compose yourself and this is remedy with the help of an other player.

MOTM

Banned
Oh, there's a setting change that makes combat more fluid, gets rid of the floaty and constant pausing or delay when landing an attack. I can't remember what it is right now, HAH.

I tried googling real quick to find it but I can't remember the search syntax to find what it is and am having no luck.

Basically, there's a single setting in options that removes the constant little stutters or pauses or "cinematic delay" or whatever you want to call it when you land an attack. It annoyed the F out of me when I first started and made the game much more enjoyable when disabled.
Gonna check it out because the feedback in combat feels terrible

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, there's a setting change that makes combat more fluid, gets rid of the floaty and constant pausing or delay when landing an attack. I can't remember what it is right now, HAH.

I tried googling real quick to find it but I can't remember the search syntax to find what it is and am having no luck.

Basically, there's a single setting in options that removes the constant little stutters or pauses or "cinematic delay" or whatever you want to call it when you land an attack. It annoyed the F out of me when I first started and made the game much more enjoyable when disabled.
There's no setting for hit stop, you probably mean the mod. Make sure it works first, some comments hint otherwise.
Not that I agree, games without such features feel impactless and floaty, Japanese developers like Capcom use hit stop expertly to make combat meatier and better, not worse. Lots of folks even thought it's not got enough of it vs World. It's also technically cheating to remove it as dps goes faster.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The BS thing about this game is you can play for months and grind gear to get better stats or you can start new in a day and get your buddys to give you the same gear and be absolutely equal.

The whole progression without XP is pointless and makes me not want to touch the games.
You are not gonna be equal in skills level.

Good luck playing with noobs against high level monsters, the equip means jack shit if you are not good at the game.

dorkimoe

Tried to play this 4 tomes. Too complex for me. Was looking forward to wildhearts hoping it was easier but then they added that building shit lol

GymWolf

I have invested over 100 hours into World and Rise.
The game is not even close beeing the best game ever...
Slow and IMO stupid controls (sometime even a bigger threat than the enemies itself....), stupid camera, some monsters have a range of a country or you get some damage if a hair from them touches you or they just walk by you, no tutorial, no real open worlds (MW World was at least a step up in the world size), "same" mechanics and gameplay since the PSP version.
Outdated graphics (World feels and looks better than Rise. Does not help that Rise is a NSW game)
It becomes a Grindfest later/endgame.

But there is just nothing else like Monster Hunter. It is a pretty special game, but if it klicks, then you will have alot of fun.
They have Palicos.
Do you like boss fights?
Monster Hunter.
Like grinding?
Monster Hunter.
Awesome monster designs?
Monster Hunter!

Have I already mentioned, that they have Palicos!?
Video Game Dancing GIF by CAPCOM
they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So yea, my first Monster Hunter was Monster Hunter: World. It's arguably the better game but I don't think it's on GP. Monster Hunter: Rise kinda dumbs down the level design but increases the learning curve on combat and traversal mechanics. It makes for a much more interesting game when you're fighting but I can definitely see why you would be confused. I would say watch some videos or streams on it and kinda glean what you can from it. Going back through all the tutorial tips is a pain and even as an experienced MH player...it just seemed like too much work to get used to this game.

Keep at it though, MH is a great franchise and very rewarding once you get the hang of things.

GymWolf

The hit-stop is what make the combat crunchy imo.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

GymWolf

It is. The fact that you can go alone doesn't mean the game is balanced around it. The targets you battle are balanced around multiple players ganging on them. With one player you are only dependant on your assistant to draw your target of your ass enought for you to drink potions, which btw are a drag depending on your class, and sharp your weapon.

I played the game start to finish and can atest this. The targets are usually very aggressive giving you less time to compose yourself and this is remedy with the help of an other player.
Disagree, 99% of those monsters are not even as hard as some boss from pure single player games.

Multyplayer feel like cheating because you can just gang-bang the monster and attack when it is distracted with minimal risks.

I can think of like 1-2 monsters that are made for groups in world because they had to put some bullshit gimmick mechanics like the gold one or the latest mob they released for the game.

MP!

find a weapon that fits your style ...
The wire bug took some getting used to it's a slow progression game... actually learn the mechanics and you'll enjoy it... it's not a button mashing action game... and it's not exactly like souls, though it IS more a game about staying alive than attacking.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Disagree, 99% of those monsters are not even as hard as some boss from pure single player games.

Multyplayer feel like cheating because you can just gang-bang the monster and attack when it is distracted with minimal risks.

I can think of like 1-2 monsters that are made for groups in world because they had to put some bullshit gimmick mechanics like the gold one or the latest mob they released for the game.

I didn't say they were hard(though I admit theres some hardass bosses which I didn't like to face), just say they play very agressively.
The game is totally archievable on single player but I notice it isn't exactly one made for single player experience, ence I felt more frustated playing it solo.
I'm talking about big ass actual targets because I know some monsters are tame in comparison with the bigger ones. Also because the game expect you to waste a good amount of time hunting big targets, the components used for creating armor suffer as a result since they are random and more than often you play longshots for them 2 or 3 times.

GymWolf

I didn't say they were hard(though I admit theres some hardass bosses which I didn't like to face), just say they play very agressively.
The game is totally archievable on single player but I notice it isn't exactly one made for single player experience, ence I felt more frustated playing it solo.
I'm talking about big ass actual targets because I know some monsters are tame in comparison with the bigger ones. Also because the game expect you to waste a good amount of time hunting big targets, the components used for creating armor suffer as a result since they are random and more than often you play longshots for them 2 or 3 times.
I don't think being overly aggressive means that they are tailored for multyplayer, both horizon games have ultra aggressive enemies that hits like trucks and they are as simgke player as it comes.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Great post but I don’t get the complaint about the controls… if you mash you queue just like in souls.
Canceling moves would be nice, especially on enemy moves, where they have a range of 10 kilometers. Alot of the time you cannot react to the enemies, because the character is too slow.
To heal you have to put away the weapon. (The "pie" menu does not work reliable enough...)
When you evade, it would be nice to evade more than a few centimeters... Especially if you still use your weapon.

Btw: I havent played souls..

StickStack

Neo Member

False.

Just because you struggle doesn't mean the game is meant for MP. Must suck to suck.

The developers have said plainly and simply for many years that they are opposed to multiplayer. The only reason multiplayer is in the game at all is because the community complained hard enough. Even then, multiplayer is clumsy to achieve. It's difficult to get in to a group and coordinating entering together is also difficult. This is intentional by the devs who intentionally drag their heels.

StickStack

Neo Member
There's no setting for hit stop, you probably mean the mod. Make sure it workse first, some comments hint otherwise.
Not that I agree, games without such features feel impactless and floaty, Japanese developers like Capcom use hit stop expertly to make combat meatier and better, not worse. Lots of folks even thought it's not got enough of it vs World. It's also technically cheating to remove it as dps goes faster.
No, wasn't a mod. I didn't install any mods for World.

I don't have World installed anymore to open the game and check. T_T

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Its not so user friendly and not focused on single-player experience either.

Emphatically disagree. I played this game exactly like I play DARK SOULS: beat a new monster solo first, then jolly co-operate the hell out of it. However, anyone can play the game straight as a totally solo affair: the cat men become another tool in your kit that you can kit out to make the single player experience EASIER than co-op (in single player only you are responsible for wiping, not some noob who can't dodge out of the way of a painfully telegraphed dive from Negrante or whatever his name is).

. . .TLDR, MHW is of the most single player friendly "designed for co-op" games ever.

faraany3k

Banned
Get a dual blade weapon and start playing, trust me it will make sense after 10 hours. Just do 1 quest at a time and try to have fun. It will be immensely rewarding later.

Sygma

Started playing MH: Rise on Gamepass a couple of days ago and this is my first time with the series.

I feel like there’s a 100 different systems that I’m supposed to remember and use and none of them feel particularly intuitive. On top of that, hard to describe it exactly but the game also doesn’t feel "tight". Everything feels a bit floaty and loose, from the game play to the mechanics/systems.

Just by watching videos of it and MH: World previously, I was a bit confused why these games are so popular and now playing it for myself I’m even more confused.

Think I may drop this and move on to Wo Long tomorrow.

There's not a lot of systems truth be told, you just have to commit to one thing at a time while you're learning. Take all your time trying out weapons in the training areas, then start applying the moves to small monsters, then the big ones.

A good 80% of the combat in Monster Hunter is about proper timing of your attacks vs whats in front of you. The rest is knowing what kind of weapon is less of a headache vs a monster and using it. You'll soon learn that monsters have set movement speed / patterns, but use attacks "randomly" yet indicators are always the same. From there its about focus

That being said Rise is way friendlier than World in nearly every aspect honestly, its more streamlined and on the easier side since theres so much more mobility. Oh and yeah having proper gear also is a plus

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
False.

Just because you struggle doesn't mean the game is meant for MP. Must suck to suck.

Lol I beat the entire game dude and got trophies except the multiplayer ones.
I also have no interest in your smartass attitude.

Emphatically disagree. I played this game exactly like I play DARK SOULS: beat a new monster solo first, then jolly co-operate the hell out of it. However, anyone can play the game straight as a totally solo affair: the cat men become another tool in your kit that you can kit out to make the single player experience EASIER than co-op (in single player only you are responsible for wiping, not some noob who can't dodge out of the way of a painfully telegraphed dive from Negrante or whatever his name is).

. . .TLDR, MHW is of the most single player friendly "designed for co-op" games ever.

Thats an interesting view, though I never really saw any correlation with DS(I mean, aside from the stamina bar?), and I'm an avid player of DS games.
And again from my experience I disagree, mainly because of my perception of the monsters behavior. My cat also wasn't 100% garanted monster aggro, specialy with very aggresive ones(at least when I played). But seems like you guys are diving too much on my "disliking", so I'm gona say that I played as a lancer and the one with gun(can't remember the class name) and I pretty much liked playing as a lancer since it fits my playstyle. The gun one was way too convoluted with alot of different ammos so I end up ignoring mid game.

Last edited:

StickStack

Neo Member
Lol I beat the entire game dude and got trophies except the multiplayer ones.
I also have no interest in your smartass attitude.

Have a giggle mate.

In any event, the developers are STRONGLY AGAINST multiplayer. They didn't make the game multiplayer-focused. You're flat out wrong and you're using some difficulty argument to justify the mistake.

Exede

Use sets for everything, makes it easyer.
-Set for consumables to refill your stuff super quick
-Set for different weapons to switch out your gear
-Set for buff food

The preparation loop is basicly
-refill consumables
-eat food
-slay monster
-(dont get the gem you need)
-craft armor/weapon
-repeat

Theres more like melting and stuff but the game throws this at you just after a couple of hours

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah, I tried it too on GP but I’m an old geezer and the one thing I hate more than games wasting my time is games that overwhelm me with a couple dozen systems in the first fifteen minutes of play. The game has THREE character creators before it even begins, ffs. The intro is a strong contender for top Japanese cringe and then you’re thrown into a mission after a dozen half-assed explanations you had absolutely no active part in except going from one weirdo to the next in the town square. And then there’s another guy telling you even more stuff before you’ve even had a chance to swing your weapon once. I dropped the game right there. I’m not going to dive into twenty menus only to get started with the game, even less so if it’s a 100+ hour behemoth.

A friend of mine swears it’s all for dressing and that he played his first Monster Hunter in Japanese and had no problem. Nah, I’m good never having anything to do with the series. Just too much other stuff to play.

GymWolf

Canceling moves would be nice, especially on enemy moves, where they have a range of 10 kilometers. Alot of the time you cannot react to the enemies, because the character is too slow.
To heal you have to put away the weapon. (The "pie" menu does not work reliable enough...)
When you evade, it would be nice to evade more than a few centimeters... Especially if you still use your weapon.

You can improve the roll lenght with armours skills.

You can also use left and right ro circle objects if the other way is unreliable for you.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Started playing MH: Rise on Gamepass a couple of days ago and this is my first time with the series.

I feel like there’s a 100 different systems that I’m supposed to remember and use and none of them feel particularly intuitive. On top of that, hard to describe it exactly but the game also doesn’t feel "tight". Everything feels a bit floaty and loose, from the game play to the mechanics/systems.

Just by watching videos of it and MH: World previously, I was a bit confused why these games are so popular and now playing it for myself I’m even more confused.

Think I may drop this and move on to Wo Long tomorrow.
As much as I wanted to like MH (I’ve bought and tried Gen Ultimate, MH4U 3DS, Rise and World) it’s just not for me.

It’s not the systems for me, it’s the combat. I know people like the game because of the combat but it doesn’t hit for me. As you say, it’s floaty, and for me just feels like mindless endless spamming on the bosses. I wanted Souls like hits and bosses.

The idea on paper (loads of boss fights) really appeals to me.

I’m probably a massive dumb arse too but I don’t understand why getting in to a co-op game is like solving a rubix cube.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Ahhh I see.

So the way the game works is it’ll queue your inputs so if you mash you lose the capacity to react to the monster. I think some of the weapons have animation cancels, but not many.

The way the evade works is that you have I-frames (invulnerable frames) during the animation and you are supposed to time the hit box colliding with your character with those I-frames, which is somewhat tricky. There’s a special evade move with 100% I-frames that people use for mega bosses also (the Superman dive).

And yes, healing is clunky, nothing you can do about that… unless you are part of the sword and shield master race and you get to use items without sheathing your weapon heyoooo.

GymWolf

As much as I wanted to like MH (I’ve bought and tried Gen Ultimate, MH4U 3DS, Rise and World) it’s just not for me.

It’s not the systems for me, it’s the combat. I know people like the game because of the combat but it doesn’t hit for me. As you say, it’s floaty, and for me just feels like mindless endless spamming on the bosses. I wanted Souls like hits and bosses.

The idea on paper (loads of boss fights) really appeals to me.

I’m probably a massive dumb arse too but I don’t understand why getting in to a co-op game is like solving a rubix cube.
Never tried the older one but i don't get how you can consider world floaty or mindless spamming tbh.

EekTheKat

To me Monster Hunter at its core has a bit of fighting game DNA , where you can often win just by reading what the monster is telegraphing as its next move.

The game often bets on you being somewhat predictable at times. Slow it down and watch what the Monster is actually doing and it's not a very difficult game at all.

I wouldn't really stress over gear at the lower level/ranks, pick something that synergizes with what your weapon of choice is, and go to town. The game slowly opens up and expands on the lower level gear.

Practice on the lower level Monsters. Despite having hundreds of hours sank into the Switch/PC/PS5 version of Rise I still practice new weapons on low level monsters.

Saber

Gold Member
You can improve the roll lenght with armours skills.

You can also use left and right ro circle objects if the other way is unreliable for you.

I do agree would be nice, but I aways though that my class(lancer) was like that because the way he was design(sluggish) was to be more of defensive oriented than an attackers. I could attack while doing back and sidesteps. I think what bothers me most is that I have to guard my weapons so I can use a potion, this really annoys me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I do agree would be nice, but I aways though that my class(lancer) was like that because the way he was design(sluggish) was to be more of defensive oriented than an attackers. I could attack while doing back and sidesteps. I think what bothers me most is that I have to guard my weapons so I can use a potion, this really annoys me.
Not sure about being sluggish...

I was main lancer for a while, and we have literally the fast run in the entire game...when peasants try to catch up when the monster run away, lancers start doing an accurate colonoscopy before the monster even reach his destination.

Getting the evade extension +5 helps in making all the little jumps more useful to evade when you are close to the monster, and learn how to master the forward guarded jump (the one that can be chained with the triple fast hit) to close distance.

Marvel14

Banned
It's not just you. This game is super complicated and has awful tutorials. There's a lot of systems and mechanics going on, and most explanations about that stuff happen during combat when they're easy to miss. You can find a lot of info hidden in the menus, but that's boring and the game doesn't promote that too much either.

Best to watch some guides and videos to learn how to play. That's what I did and I love these games now. The combat has the right level of complexity that just makes it fun to fight monsters over and over again. I do think it's worth trying, even if it takes more effort than most other games.
Reading this makes you appreciate just what genius game design Breath of the Wild really is....

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure about being sluggish...

I was main lancer for a while, and we have literally the fast run in the entire game...when peasants try to catch up when the monster run away, lancers start doing an accurate colonoscopy before the monster even reach his destination.

Getting the evade extension +5 helps in making all the little jumps more useful to evade when you are close to the monster, and learn how to master the forward guarded jump (the one that can be chained with the triple fast hit) to close distance.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but can you ran with your weapon drawed? I'm almost sure that I aways have to guard my weapon first if I ever need to run.

GymWolf

Reading this makes you appreciate just what genius game design Breath of the Wild really is....
For doing what exactly? Being simple to understand?

Majority of games are pretty clear to understand without watching any guide if it is not you first game ever.

GymWolf

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but can you ran with your weapon drawed? I'm almost sure that I aways have to guard my weapon first if I ever need to run.
You can only fast run with your weapon drawed...
It's triangle + circle if i remember well.

Have you used the lance without knowing about the charge run? It's like watching porns without knowing how to wank.

Saber

Gold Member
You can only fast run with your weapon drawed...
It's triangle + circle if i remember well.

Have you used the lance without knowing about the charge run? It's like watching porns without knowing how to wank.

Never liked much and I found too risky. Some monsters could literally charge on me before I do it or simply attack/avoid using their animations. I would rather prefer staying on defense state or simply run, gain high altitude and do a spear plunging attack.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
You're not supposed to know everything from the get go. It's the type of game that asks the player to experiment different thing and learn by themself. Win when you do, fail when you fail, try a new approach, read the tutorials you find along the way. Watch how the other player do.

MH used to be MUCH more difficult back then on PSP with Freedom 1,2, Unite & Tri. You would have quit on Qurupeco or maybe at your first Rathian. These game were so cryptic. Tri introduced tutorials and online matchmaking though.

Stopped playing rise since Nintendo wants to charge a lot for the expansion and the online, but what I saw looked good. The new mechanics (grapplebug and riding) demand some practice.

And yes, the saga is "really japanese", meaning LOTS of grind and research. They are games that ask for commitment, and the friendliest of them all is World (cuts a lot of pointless bullshit and has a lot of qol), so if you want to enter the saga, start with that, then look at youtube and wikis.

These games have a lot of tools, but you need to get into the "get prepared for the hunt" mindset, equipping accordingly (you won't know a crap information because the games are always scarce), so look at wikis.

Myself started a run on a psp monhun the other day, and god I miss the convenience of World already

GymWolf

Never liked much and I found too risky. Some monsters could literally charge on me before I do it or simply attack/avoid using their animations. I would rather prefer staying on defense state or simply run, gain high altitude and do a spear plunging attack.
Meh, playing without charge is half the fun.

Top Bottom