• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

I feel like I'm finally getting a hang of things

XtSan0Y.jpg

D-Pad

Forget fireworks here's the actual important feature:

The new Ride Sequencer gives you all the control over your favourite rides, and you can personalise your wooden coasters even further with painted wooden supports!

YAAAssss!!!

Why doesnt my subscription tab tell me this thread is updated ugh.

Love the new updates, super excited for the fireworks, the new rides and the new coasters but the way how they explained the billboards will work is getting me super excited.

Billboards are going the be a BIG game changer for builders, im 100% sure about it.

Also, maybe some of you know about it bue Frontier started last month a video competition where you created a fake commercial for one of your parks, the winner will have a prize and his ad featured in Planet Coaster's official page and an interview in one of the livestreams. The competition finsihed yesterday night and the winner and finalists will be shown on the 23rd of June

Well I entered and started working on it just at it was announced, but it was such hard work that I took me nearly until 1 hour before the competition closed yesterday night.
Here you have the commercial, if you want to watch it. I included some 2d handdrawn animation from the mascots like some of the disney/universal ads I hope you like it :D

D-Pad

That was amazing SPR! Awesome work on those animations~

This didn't seem to be one of the features included in the update notes above but I saw it in the latest newsletter:

We're also happy to announce the addition of Custom Biomes, which lets you pick your own terrain textures in Sandbox and Challenge parks - and don't worry, this will apply to previous park save files too, so you can create even more immersive worlds!

Nice!! I want new backgrounds though. Like a city skyline would be nice.

That was amazing SPR! Awesome work on those animations~

This didn't seem to be one of the features included in the update notes above but I saw it in the latest newsletter:

Nice!! I want new backgrounds though. Like a city skyline would be nice.

Thank you! I actually was placed second, so I nearly won!
And yes, custom biomes are going to be amazing. I dont think city skyline would be doable like in RCT3 as biomes, as you can see, while RCT3 skybox was just a fake texture surrounding, Planet Coaster skyboxes are 3D. They would had to build the cities as 3d models and Im sure they dont want to make the game less playable for lower end computers.

Just got the game in the Steam Summer Sale...

Is it possible to make a waterpark? If so...IM DEAD. This game will consume me.

You can make a non fuctional waterpark. Some good builders are already making them with the super useful art shapes.
But if you are waiting for a functional one like in RCT3 soaked, wouldnt surprise me they came in a future paid expansions (all dlcs have been for free for now, and have expanded the game a lot, so people shouldnt hate when we get the first paid expansion or dlc).

I'm very surprised there's been no proper mention of any sort of DLC yet. I really hope they don't go the microtransaction route, at least. Content packs wouldn't be so bad but individual items would be the completely wrong move i think.

I'm very surprised there's been no proper mention of any sort of DLC yet. I really hope they don't go the microtransaction route, at least. Content packs wouldn't be so bad but individual items would be the completely wrong move i think.

I dont think they are going the individual packs route, much less when they are still giving us stuff for free they could have easily put in those packs.
Also theres going to be a november update, that is going to be free, and probably brings the big spooky theming (and I hope omnimouvers are included).

I think future paid dlc will be expansions ala RCT3. There has been a lot of hints from the devs that some kind of waterpark dlc is coming in the future, thats the first one im seeing its going to be paid, and Im gladly going to.

I dont think they are going the individual packs route, much less when they are still giving us stuff for free they could have easily put in those packs.
Also theres going to be a november update, that is going to be free, and probably brings the big spooky theming (and I hope omnimouvers are included).

I think future paid dlc will be expansions ala RCT3. There has been a lot of hints from the devs that some kind of waterpark dlc is coming in the future, thats the first one im seeing its going to be paid, and Im gladly going to.

They've mentioned DLC one time that i know of and what they said involved this:

We will also be introducing cosmetic optional purchases for those of you who want to give your parks that little extra personality!

which sounds like it could potentially be microtransactions, unfortunately.

Tomorrow new super udpdate!!!

They've mentioned DLC one time that i know of and what they said involved this:

which sounds like it could potentially be microtransactions, unfortunately.

Theyve also listened to feedback and have gone back, after that phrase, they never used it again and istead they said wait.
They are actually going each update it passes the route of making our own custom scenery being more near, dlc being only cosmetic optional would make nearly no one buying that dlc (if they are not big enough, maybe they are huge packs, and I would actually pay for that becuase they have given me more than 1200 hours of playtime) and them doing work for nothing. Everytime they have mentioned dlc atfer the dlc button appeared in the game, they been delaying more and more an announcement.
In a game were you literally can built whatever you want with the ingame pieces, that would be the worst idea ever, and it seems they have thought about the same.

The update is SUPER BUGGY this time.

We are sending a bunch of bug reports. Textures fucked up, game crashing constantly in good high end computers, bilboards bottlenecking the game, park saves cant be uplaoded into the workshop...
QA didnt do a good job this time.

And the display sequencer to make firework shows is the crappiest thing about this update. Completely useless compared to the original RCT3 firework mixmaster.
Cumbersome UI using the same shit system as the ride triggers, that makes it nearly impossibole to sync any show to music.

If you have a planet coaster account and think the same, try to go to this thread to leave your opinion, the more we are the faster theyw ill change it:
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/25256-Firework-sequencer-for-doing-music-shows-is-not-good-sadly

Compare this perfectly usable video editor type UI:
maxresdefault.jpg

To this pice of shit minimalistic folders and seconds crap:
planetcoaster2017-06-cvuyd.png

It may look a little nicer, but is a complete nightmare to work with.

ryan299

I was playing last night with no issues but now steam is telling me "your local PC files conflict with the ones stored in the steam cloud."

It asks me to download the cloud files or upload my local files. Both files are from January 13 for some odd reason.

Anybody know whats up, don't wanna lose my stuff. No other games are doing this.

Jimrpg

I'm so blown away by this game. More people should be playing this. It's so fun. It's really easy to start building your park and mostly everything is intuitive, like there's no tutorial but I figured everything out anyway.

The graphics are out of this world and there's so much personality everywhere, the only disappointing thing to me is that it's crippling my GTX 1070 :(, I'm just getting 50-60fps (my monitor is 1440p) in the first park on a rollercoaster on high settings. Would love to get the FPS higher on my high refresh (144hz) monitor.

Dyle

I'm so blown away by this game. More people should be playing this. It's so fun. It's really easy to start building your park and mostly everything is intuitive, like there's no tutorial but I figured everything out anyway.

The graphics are out of this world and there's so much personality everywhere, the only disappointing thing to me is that it's crippling my GTX 1070 :(, I'm just getting 50-60fps (my monitor is 1440p) in the first park on a rollercoaster on high settings. Would love to get the FPS higher on my high refresh (144hz) monitor.

What's your cpu? The game is a lot more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, so it might be a bottleneck.

Been playing a bit more lately, my indoor park Asian-inspired park is starting to come together. It's amazing how much more you can do without collision detection, if only paths could connect to terrain better, than this park could really shine.

Jimrpg

What's your cpu? The game is a lot more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, so it might be a bottleneck.

Been playing a bit more lately, my indoor park Asian-inspired park is starting to come together. It's amazing how much more you can do without collision detection, if only paths could connect to terrain better, than this park could really shine.

It's an i5-4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz.

I decided to check if it was still overclocked and it was. It doesn't surprise me though, Planet Coaster has a ton going on and everything looks ridiculously good.

Indoor park sounds interesting!

Any word on recolorable wooden coasters yet? Haven't played in a while, did I miss that update?

Very nice update, and I can finally rebuild one of my rct parks with all of the newer additions.

Except...

I wonder what's keeping it. Maybe they can't get it to look "natural"? We've been able to recolor woodies since the very first RCT game, not to mention all of the painted wooden coasters out there in the world. There must be some technical hurdle they're trying to get over first?

pc_wooden_paint_small.jpg

Just came from an AMAZING weekend on Efteling with the Planet Coaster community, including the official PR at Frontier for Planet Coaster, Bo and Ed (they make weekly livestream of the game).
Not just the park was incredible (I highly recommend anyone going, in fact it jus won today best theme park on the themepark insider forums, an award that was won 10 years in a row by Tokyo Disney Sea), but being with such an amazing group of people (we were 65 on the firts day) was amazing. Never had so much fun in my whole life.

Wow! that looks lovely, have your tried to show this in shyguyworld forums? Is the best community to show high level stuff like this.

It's an i5-4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz.

I decided to check if it was still overclocked and it was. It doesn't surprise me though, Planet Coaster has a ton going on and everything looks ridiculously good.

Indoor park sounds interesting!

Yeah, thats your bottleneck there. High i7 are the CPUs that can move the game better, and not even then you can get 60fps after you are building a huge park with more of 4000 people.
Dont try to change your graphics settings either, it doesnt do much apart of resolution. I have an i7 cpu and and 970 GPU, and I play for example on my 32 inch screen in 720p window mode (ultra settings) when my park gets huge and let guests go in, and I get between 25-30fps stable (you dont have laggy jumps apart from the game autosaving), which for me is totally playable for a game of this type. Playing like this not only helps get better framerate, it also helps me have other windows with reference material from when im building.

ryan299

Really wish you could edit the paint style options for existing parks. I'm mid build and the snow area is a pain lol

Jimrpg

Yeah, thats your bottleneck there. High i7 are the CPUs that can move the game better, and not even then you can get 60fps after you are building a huge park with more of 4000 people.
Dont try to change your graphics settings either, it doesnt do much apart of resolution. I have an i7 cpu and and 970 GPU, and I play for example on my 32 inch screen in 720p window mode (ultra settings) when my park gets huge and let guests go in, and I get between 25-30fps stable (you dont have laggy jumps apart from the game autosaving), which for me is totally playable for a game of this type. Playing like this not only helps get better framerate, it also helps me have other windows with reference material from when im building.

I see. I also went back and read some of the earlier posts in this thread and read how CPU intensive it was. That makes me a little sad that even i7s have difficulty with this game with high framerates. Do we know if the latest intels/AMDs with more CPU cores are better for this type of game or is it the clock speed that makes it run better? I like riding the coasters so anything that makes it silky smooth would be great. I don't think I'd upgrade just for one game but it'd be nice to know.

Really wish you could edit the paint style options for existing parks. I'm mid build and the snow area is a pain lol

YOU CAN!
Press Control key while you click your save park. It will open the new biome options.

I see. I also went back and read some of the earlier posts in this thread and read how CPU intensive it was. That makes me a little sad that even i7s have difficulty with this game with high framerates. Do we know if the latest intels/AMDs with more CPU cores are better for this type of game or is it the clock speed that makes it run better? I like riding the coasters so anything that makes it silky smooth would be great. I don't think I'd upgrade just for one game but it'd be nice to know.

Maybe someone more techsavy can answer you that.
Anyway the framerate is really stable even when you get lower fps, so riding coasters should be smooth even when not getting 60fps. You can aslo try to ride them without guests in the park, thats the fps eater of this game and closing the park (most of us creators build with the park closed) ahould get you much higher framerates.
And then the final solution, even with thousands of guests, to experience your game at 60fpa silky smooth (even at 2k) is recordibg at super slow mode with OBS and cheat engine, and then speeding the footage in any video editor. We usually do that to get beautiful cinematic shots of the game for youtube videos.

jtb

Banned
This game is awesome (love love love the coaster design tools, every bit as versatile as I could have dreamed of, even if I hate stupid handles) but the performance issues are pretty unforgivable. If calculating AI for 3,000 peeps is too much, then dumb down the AI. No one plays a theme park designer for the guest pathfinding.

Also wish the challenge parks were more viable for 'pay for entry, free rides.'

Wonder if it would be possible to mod the game around the opening/closing of the park. Like, actually open and close the park at the beginning and end of each month.

I'm having a little difficulty getting into this version. I loved all the classic RCT especially 3 but for this the scenarios just either seem dull or a massive pain. Is it just me or are they worse and really the main focus of this version is the create your own park?

I've not touched that yet due to the time commitments involved but I do enjoy scenarios to open up my mind and also slowly teach me the game as I play.

Clauss

Recently dove back into this game. It's so fucking good. I've been tinkering with some of the newer scenarios to further cement/learn all of the little features of park management and effective building techniques. This has got to be one of the nicest looking/feeling sim-builder games I've ever played too.

That thread on the Moonraker ride got me curious - how is this as a game, as opposed to a coaster sandbox? I really miss stuff like the old Zoo Tycoon campaigns.

That thread on the Moonraker ride got me curious - how is this as a game, as opposed to a coaster sandbox? I really miss stuff like the old Zoo Tycoon campaigns.

There campeign mode is similar to RCT1 to RCT3, I never played zoo tycoon so I cant speak about that how similar is to it.

Its shines more as a creative theme park sandbox though. Not only coaster but everything on theme parks. You can build whatever you want basically and your imagination is your limit.
They are also adding new updates for free with new rides, coaster, imporvements, etc... The only paid dlc released has been universal copyrighted stuff from the munsters, knight rider and back to the future.

I spent 100+ hours beating all of the campaign levels and I was extremely disappointed overall. There are so many dumb things that hinder it from being a great experience, such as locked scenery/rides/shops. Plus the excitement/fear/nausea system is weird and seemingly inconsistent. The simulation/ management is not the reason to buy the game. I’ve recently picked up RCT1 again, and am having a blast playing through the campaigns, and I feel like it isn’t just nostalgia.
The most fun I have with planet coaster is playing sandbox which is weird since I didn’t much care for sandbox in RCT2. The simulation doesn’t lead to a good gameplay experience in my opinion for planet coaster.

I spent 100+ hours beating all of the campaign levels and I was extremely disappointed overall. There are so many dumb things that hinder it from being a great experience, such as locked scenery/rides/shops. Plus the excitement/fear/nausea system is weird and seemingly inconsistent. The simulation/ management is not the reason to buy the game. I’ve recently picked up RCT1 again, and am having a blast playing through the campaigns, and I feel like it isn’t just nostalgia.
The most fun I have with planet coaster is playing sandbox which is weird since I didn’t much care for sandbox in RCT2. The simulation doesn’t lead to a good gameplay experience in my opinion for planet coaster.

RCT1 has so simple simulation, that it works perfectly in the campaign. Once they wanted to give simulation more depth in all the next games, campaign mode started to lose that fast fun gameplay type it had and sandbox is what started to be the star.
And people think that even going more realistic in the campaign is going to bring that fun back, when it really isnt.

I loved playing RCT1 campaign mode, and after that, even as much as I love RCT2, 3 and Planet Coaster, campaing was not that fun anymore.

Unicorn

Have you seen any of silvarett videos? Dude has a lot of the systems down and explains them

Have you seen any of silvarett videos? Dude has a lot of the systems down and explains them

Yes, I've seen a few of them.

My comment of the E/F/N system mainly referred to things like the heatmaps being mostly useless. You can have a coaster that is 1 or 2 points higher Fear than anything on the heatmaps. Some people say that it is because the high value is in a small section between two data values on the heatmaps. Others say that certain coaster types score higher or lower than others and the heatmaps are the general rating before the coaster type is taken into consideration. Regardless of why, having the heatmaps not show you the problem area of the coaster makes them pointless because they are either showing incomplete or inaccurate data.

There are just so many little things like this that bother me with this game. Things like the coaster stations having plenty of queue space making them take up so much space, but then guest are only allowed into the station for the next car, leaving a bunch of wasted space while also not looking very realistic.

jtb

Banned
Frontier's grasp of the systems has always been significantly worse than Chris Sawyer's. I never like RCT3's systems, either, and the peep system basically broke the game so that nobody would ever ride anything. They just need to get back to basics - and hopefully, in the process, resolve some of the ridiculous strain it puts on performance.

Hi guys,

Just got the game recently, what is the best way to begin with this game ? It seems a little overwhelming.

I like to have to be careful of the income/outcome when i play this sort of game.

Top Bottom