• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 4 releases on July 21st, 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
FoegRp2aUAAmmBs

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Textures look like shit, this isn't good at all, the ground is awful, the leaves are worse. Fuck Nintendo for dragging this old hardware on so long. We're in late PS3/early PS4 era here.

It's all apart of their plan though for whatever is next to have a "remake".

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Textures look like shit, this isn't good at all, the ground is awful, the leaves are worse. Fuck Nintendo for dragging this old hardware on so long. We're in late PS3/early PS4 era here.

To be fair we are still in the ps4 era in general with all these devs refusing to drop cross gen development.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

This is way worse than late PS3 and nowhere near PS4 anything. Because the Switch is nowhere near the PS4.

But yes, I agree with your general sentiment.

Pikmin 4 releases on uly 21st, 2023​

Are you sure? Or are Ulying?

Bad Zinger aside, Pikmin 4, with the Switches install base this may be the best time for the series to get exposure in the series history. Not much of a fan but it's a decent game with a lot of dedicated loyal fans.

It was on the Gamecube and (originally) WIi U, this will be the FIRST time Pikmin is going to launch on a bigger Nintendo system, and their second best selling ever.

I'm curious to see how the masses will react to the release.

Bragr

Banned
I really hoped for some sort of online multiplayer, Pikmin 2 had a solid multiplayer suite and it suits the game, but this looks like a rather classical continuation of Pikmin.

I'm not gonna complain, Pikmin 3 was great, and I expect this will be great too. This is a series that could have died out after Pikmin 2 and after Pikmin 3. That we get a new one is a gift, especially since Pikmin 4 sounds like it had a troubled development.

Gorgyles

Banned
I'm beyond charmed
And the water looks incredible
The interactive water was one of the things I loved about Pikmin 1

great addition
freeze enemies
Freeze bodies of water

cute locales
actual yards with toys and stuff

this is my dream come true
I thought P3 would be it

Gorgyles

Banned
Let me guess, it'll be priced at 69.99 on old ass PS3/xbox360 hardware.
Lame reply
I pay for gameplay experiences, not texture resolution.

$70 for first party games is the norm now, and I sure like Pikmin more than I like Horizon.

Last edited:
Lame reply

$70 for first party games is the norm now, and I sure like Pikmin more than I like Horizon.

Defend a $70 dollar game on hardware that's ancient and at least 2 generations behind the newest consoles. At least with Sony when they raised the price, it was for their new system.

But hey, Nintendo stans also defend joy con drift.

Gorgyles

Banned
Defend a $70 dollar game on hardware that's ancient and at least 2 generations behind the newest consoles. At least with Sony when they raised the price, it was for their new system.

But hey, Nintendo stans also defend joy con drift.

It's just the cost of first party games in 2023

I dont care that Mario Galaxy 2 was $50 in 2010 even though it was essentially 2001-level hardware...
and I don't care that Pikmin 4 is $70 in 2023 on 2006-level hardware.

Bridges

All in for this. My memory could be failing me, but I remember Pikmin 3 on Wii U looking a lot better than this does though.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's just the cost of first party games in 2023

I dont care that Mario Galaxy 2 was $50 in 2010 even though it was essentially 2001-level hardware...
and I don't care that Pikmin 4 is $70 in 2023 on 2006-level hardware.
So as a consumer you don’t care that you get to pay MORE? You prioritize a company profit than your own pocket? Don’t fall in the loyalty trap. Nintendo would give 0 fuck if you lost all your money and slept in the street tonight.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm beyond charmed
And the water looks incredible
The interactive water was one of the things I loved about Pikmin 1

great addition
freeze enemies
Freeze bodies of water

cute locales
actual yards with toys and stuff

this is my dream come true
I thought P3 would be it

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to play it.

A lot of warriors are coming out of the wood work to talk out their ass though. Apparently this doesn't even look PS3? Jesus people are fucking retarded.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lame reply

Same. Just as I would gladly pay 70 for Hi Fi Rush, SIFU, or Pentiment. Great games are worth that price point.

Gorgyles

Banned
So as a consumer you don’t care that you get to pay MORE? You prioritize a company profit than your own pocket? Don’t fall in the loyalty trap. Nintendo would give 0 fuck if you lost all your money and slept in the street tonight.

I don't want to pay more, but I understand it.
$50 in 2000 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $75.15 in 2020

Tg89

lol as a consumer i just want to buy a good game. this looks like a good game. graphics are one part of what makes a game, and these are hardly bad enough to detract from what will likely be a great game if the rest of the series is anything to go by.

such a small minded reductionist view. there's countless publishers out there selling great looking games that absolutely suck for the same price. i'll happily pay the price for this as opposed to the same price for the hundreds of terrible, good looking games we get every year.

graphics are one aspect of what can contribute to a quality game, game prices have never been set relative to quality.

I swear Nintendo reached a point where they said " Fuck the N seal of quality, its ridiculous what we can get away with and not have to rely on even sales down the line, developers put minimum effort and it will still sell. Make sure it looks as similar as it did to the previous installment."

jaysius

Banned
I swear Nintendo reached a point where they said " Fuck the N seal of quality, its ridiculous what we can get away with and not have to rely on even sales down the line, developers put minimum effort and it will still sell. Make sure it looks as similar as it did to the previous installment."
I agree with most things except the "Seal of Quality" was NEVER about actual QUALITY of games it was just a program that tried to downplay Nintendo games that didn't pay their fee to get the proper chip to play properly on the NES. They claimed that those games that didn't have that chip aka paid the license fee could DESTROY YOUR MACHINE!

SOURCE
Basically, the seal is simply an assurance that the item you're looking at won't destroy your console, rather than an indication that the game itself is of high enough quality. Now, for anyone who didn't live through the NES, SNES and Game Boy eras, this might not come as much of a shock, as the seal hasn't had quite the same cachet in recent years. Nintendo has totally relaxed its agreements with publishers and there's no longer a limit on how many games can be released in a single year.

jaysius

Banned
To all Pikmin fans eager for this new entry, if you can't stand the wait give the game Tinykin a shot. It's a worthy Pikmin knockoff and quite fun.
It's better in so many ways, Nintendo slept and someone finally took over.

It shows that the stupid "Day cycle" gimmick isn't needed, nor is the "juice or you'll die" one.

Tinykin came out of nowhere and is amazing.

Top Bottom