• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philips Announces the Hue Play HDMI Sync Box

llien

BQ5lHtF.png

Signify, a Philips partner, launches the Hue Play HDMI Sync Box. With this product, you can synchronize all your Philips Hue lamps with your television. The sync box is placed between an HDMI device and your TV.

For this purpose, the box receives the signal from up to four HDMI devices, analyzes the image content and then forwards the signal to the TV set. While the image signal is passed unchanged, the sync box passes the color values to the Philips Hue bulbs. Similar to Philips TV sets with "Ambilight", the TV picture is then synced to the smart Philips Hue lights. The lighting effects can be reproduced on up to 10 lamps/lights in an entertainment area. The more lights are involved, the more impressive the effect will be. The Sync Box supports satellite receivers and Blu-ray players as well as game consoles, notebooks or streaming devices.

Home cinema in a flash
Light has long been used to enhance our entertainment experiences at concerts and the cinema. Until now, it's been difficult to create the same effects at home. However, you can now enjoy similarly visually immersive experiences from the comfort of your couch. Simply connect up to four HDMI devices to the Philips Hue Play HDMI Play Sync Box and watch your lighting come to life. Philips Hue lights will sync whatever content is being played on your HDMI devices, and creates an exciting and interactive experience in your whole room increasing the overall enjoyment of what is happening on the screen. The Philips Hue Play HDMI Play Sync Box is able to switch automatically between the four different HDMI channels, depending on which one is being used at that moment. No delays or lag - just plug in and the experience begins!

The Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box is available for €249.95 incl. VAT / $229.99 from October 15 onwards. Availability will be at selected retailer and meethue.com in the US, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. Pre-sale starts now! More countries will follow early next year.

TechPowerUp

IT'S HAPPENING!!!! A tad pricey, to be honest, but hell, finally!!!

UPDATE:
Available alternative (from 888 888 's thread: https://www.dreamscreentv.com/)
It works with 2813/2812 LED stripes (can get it cheap in China), but costs roughly as much as Phillips.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'd like to see a review of this in action. I'm a lighting whore, so the thought of this working wonderfully sounds incredibly enticing. But it may not be as amazing as I'm imagining.

Iorv3th

I'm interested.

I have the hue play light bars hooked up to my PC behind my monitor. If I could use them behind my TV with game consoles I might purchase this.

Wonder if there would be a way to get them to work with the TV and built in apps somehow.

I use hue play on my pc and it’s awesome. There was a thread I made about it where you can see it in action. Keep in mind on PC it’s free if you have the lights.

Having a house full of Hue items. My issue with this is expanded hdr support is missing and the price is crazy for what it is.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised Philips is still around. The last good appliance they made was a fucking CD player WITH ANTI SKIP TECHNOLOGY!

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
If it doesn't let me play Hotel Mario and Wand of Gamelon in HD then forget it at that price.

Knightime_X

Is it bad that i'm more worried about how far away they're from the monitor?
It's sooo tiny from that distance.
blinking lights should be the least of their worries.

Last edited:

llien

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Would be nice if it also had displayport input and outputted 3.5mm jack audio.... and came with lights then the price maybe would be ok.
Anyway - I am looking for some light to put behind LG 27uk650 4k ips monitor. I am using it for ps4(hdmi) and pc(dp)... and I have no idea what light to buy. It don't even have to dynamically adjust

Last edited:

CeeJay

Two hundred what now...? Does this add any sort of input lag?
Yeah, input lag was the first thing that came to mind for me too...

It sounds more than a bit of a gimmick but I think for games like Guitar Hero and Just Dance it would be awesome.

Three

Entire Phillips Hue family is expensive, anyhow, if that "helps", with color bulbs around $30-50 each.
Fair point but at least their hue lights are better than the cheaper options. The cheaper ones are dim and generally suck with reliability. I bought a few during Amazon sales and they don't compare. what does this do for 250 bucks compared to the alternatives out there though?

Top Bottom