• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says FFVII Intergrade and FFXVI on Xbox is up to Square Enix

AmuroChan

There's really no practical reason why Sony should lock these games down for more than a couple years. The diehard fans of those games have all played it by that point and the mindshare of those games will be with Sony. Sony doesn't suffer in any way if these games release on XBox two years after the fact.

There's really no practical reason why Sony should lock these games down for more than a couple years. The diehard fans of those games have all played it by that point and the mindshare of those games will be with Sony. Sony doesn't suffer in any way if these games release on XBox two years after the fact.

And they aren't. Square's not doing it unless Phil writes a big enough check to put it on Gamepass.

K2D

Banned
So it has nothing to do with Sony and is up to SE, eh?

What some have been saying all along.
See no evil, hear no evil...

Xbox is in competition with Sony, but when they aren't “King“, they don't want to acknowledge them.

EDMIX

Thought the remake was shit, but it should be on as many platforms as possible. JRPGs are dying, and reducing their audience ain't helping.
lol I mean shit, they should also be on platforms where the install base actually BUYS them. I get Sony has a deal with them, but lots of JRPGs don't come to this platform and I doubt Sony and Nintendo are just funding all JRPGs to just not come to XB or something, when they do come to the platform, they sell so little, it would be something crazy like 14% or 10% of sales, so they have a just reason to skip those systems.

The vast majority of JRPG fans own a Nintendo and PS and I don't know when or if that is ever going to really change.

So I'm sure those games will be ported in a few years on XB anyway and Square is waiting for MS to pay for those ports, but clearly...they have a logical fucking reason why they'd make MS pay for those ports to be made.

So if they are going to sell sooooo little, fuck it, make MS pay for the port and Square still banks and moves units. So i've said this before mind you, Octopath Traveler 2 not coming to XB I doubt is some deal with Nintendo and Sony to stop it or something, it is merely the result of the platform selling the least of their games, thus it makes sense for its focus to be on the platforms that sells those games THE MOST and merely have MS pay for the ports.

So I get the idea of "should be" but games are not free, it cost real money to roll out those games on many platforms and I'd say the Japanese have a solid reason to skip XB if a game isn't doing well and wait for MS to just pay for the port or some gamepass deal or something.

So I don't think JRPGs are "dying" and we've seen many break lots of records, I think they are doing just fine.

Kumomeme

They’re going to have to find their own rhythm.
which translated to: they have to figure and pour resource by their own to find way to make their game run mandatory on Series S

Last edited:

drganon

Thought the remake was shit, but it should be on as many platforms as possible. JRPGs are dying, and reducing their audience ain't helping.
Ehs5nZkUcAI-ksF.jpg

StueyDuck

Unless this is sarcasm, no.
It's coming. Don't be so surprised when it happens. MS have made it clear then want to drown out completion by buying all the publishers.

That's not just going away tomorrow randomly. We are still in the early days of consolidation

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Persona 5 sold 8 million copies, Nier sold 8 million copies, Dragon Quest XI sold 7 million copies, even exclusive JRPGs like Xenoblade and Final Fantasy sell multi-million copies, but yes, JRPGs are dying

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As we have been saying for years now, it's SquareEnix, not Sony.

Sony got timed-exclusivity contracts for FF7R that were over a long time ago. SquareEnix doesn't see it profitable to port that game to Xbox. But they will do it if Phil gives them the porting cost and some upfront profit.

Just like Persona games.

Just like Xbox had to all those years ago, writing $20 million cheques to publishers, when they didn't have ample market share.

Esppiral

Does it even matter? Xbois don’t even play those types of games, SE knows it and lying Phil knows it. He’s just putting on his ”gamer t-shirt” nothing more nothing less.
Of course they don't play those games since Sony payed to avoid the release on Xbox, what a stupid take.

I would have bought both FF7R and XVI on Xbox since I like the controller better since they are exclusive I bought them on PS5, If they release them in the future on Xbox I won't be buying it, see the logic?

Last edited:

laynelane

Phil full of shit again, not surprising.

Phil really has been instrumental in creating a lot of bullshit narratives. This one really helped add to the 'poor XBox being bullied by evil Sony' narrative. It amazes me that people still take him seriously and expect him to be truthful in any way.

Last edited:

Akuji

Alot of nothing. Phil at it again. Instead of doing something just talk about what u did before. Console has enough problems get to work ...

That being said, i rlly hope that everyone can play games and Do not miss out because of what Box they bought.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought you said their games were bad though. Why do you care if you can play them on Xbox?

Final fantasy VII remake was great and I can't wait for the sequel. Will play that on PlayStation. Always said I like that game.

The game that I personally felt was shite and I genuinely regret playing through 65 hours of it was Final Fantasy XVI. I felt compelled to complete it for my love of JRPGS. I did all the side quests....but man. What a bang average to bad game. Shouldn't have got more than a 6 out of ten imo

yazenov

Actually, it's on Phil to pay Square Enix to port those games to the tiniest of audiences. Why would Square Enix pay for the ports when they can wait for the MS checkbooks to open? It's business.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Remake is good, man. Could be way better, but it's good. I agree with the audience thing thou

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
didnt he say that sony forces squeenix to lock those games to playstation?

There's obviously business deals and relationships that will have to get worked through on certain games.

He actually didn't say what the topic title is saying. It's yet another case of a sensational GAF headline separate from the article and not an actual quote.

We seem to get a bunch of those when it comes to Xbox related things.

Reported, let's see if it gets edited.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
There's obviously business deals and relationships that will have to get worked through on certain games.

He actually didn't say what the topic title is saying. It's yet another case of a sensational GAF headline separate from the article and not an actual quote.

We seem to get a bunch of those when it comes to Xbox related things.

Reported, let's see if it gets edited.
that was not my point.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's coming. Don't be so surprised when it happens. MS have made it clear then want to drown out completion by buying all the publishers.

That's not just going away tomorrow randomly. We are still in the early days of consolidation
They will not be buying all the publishers, no matter how many times you sing that song to yourself.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
He's directly addressing the point about some games having deals that would need to be worked on if they ever come to Xbox.

If that's not your point, can you please elaborate what is.
simple.

is he admitting that sony is forcing squareenix for exclusive titles?
or
does he admit that it is upto squareenix only?

images

adamsapple

simple.

is he admitting that sony is forcing squareenix for exclusive titles?
or
does he admit that it is upto squareenix only?

images

But that's the thing, he never said the second part.

His direct quote couldn't be any more clearer:

Some games have business deals that need to be worked out if they ever have a chance of coming to Xbox.

hqdefault.jpg

Ar¢tos

Of course they don't play those games since Sony payed to avoid the release on Xbox, what a stupid take.

I would have bought both FF7R and XVI on Xbox since I like the controller better since they are exclusive I bought them on PS5, If they release them in the future on Xbox I won't be buying it, see the logic?
What's the excuse for Octopath Traveler not doing amazing on Xbox?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
But that's the thing, he never said the second part.

His direct quote couldn't be any more clearer:

Some games have business deals that need to be worked out if they ever have a chance of coming to Xbox.

hqdefault.jpg
"So you'll hear more. I'm not going to push them. They’re going to have to find their own rhythm"

from the ign interview , i see no mention of sony , looks like it is all upto squareenix

adamsapple

"So you'll hear more. I'm not going to push them. They’re going to have to find their own rhythm"

from the ign interview , i see no mention of sony , looks like it is all upto squareenix

The full in context is kinda important, he isn't talking about FFVII or FF16.

He's talking about what the CEO of Square said about their future commitment to Xbox.

“But I'll say it was really great to have the CEO of Square and Yoshi there to just talk about their commitment to Xbox. Because I can say, like, ‘I'm the head of Xbox, blah blah blah,’ but having the CEO of one of the third-parties make a commitment to the platform, I thought was a really meaningful step.

“So you'll hear more. I'm not going to push them. They’re going to have to find their own rhythm."

gold riddler GIF

saintjules

Phil full of shit again, not surprising.

Phil really has been instrumental in creating a lot of bullshit narratives. This one really helped add to the 'poor XBox being bullied by evil Sony' narrative. It amazes me that people still take him seriously and expect him to be truthful in any way.

cireza

looks like it is all upto squareenix
It is always up to Square-Enix to accept money for exclusivity or not. They currently have exclusivity deals running for Forspoken, FF VII (maybe ?) and XVI, there is no other way but to wait for the end. Then Sony can always offer to prolong the exclusivity for some more money.

Every single time, the decision is up to Square-Enix.

So it will be up to them to decide if they want to renew such deals (if offered), or reject them to be able to release on Xbox as well with current (Forspoken, FF VII, XVI) and future games.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The full in context is kinda important, he isn't talking about FFVII or FF16.

He's talking about what the CEO of Square said about their future commitment to Xbox.

gold riddler GIF
and you believe that?

EnragedVioletGoa-size_restricted.gif

But does that mean that PlayStation exclusives Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the recently released Final Fantasy 16 will end up on Xbox? That’s exactly what IGN asked Xbox boss Phil Spencer in an interview at gamescom 2023.

the ign interview has those 2 in the headline , OP is correct

Last edited:

adamsapple

He was asked specifically about FFVII and 16...

Which he addressed thusly:

The whole part about 'letting them work on their own rhythm' is from a whole another paragraph where he's specifically talking about what the CEO of Square said and trailed on from there.

OP based the headline on the ign interview , the vid you posted is like a month old about ff14

I implore you to read the full article, not the out-of-context quote, please.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Which he addressed thusly:

The whole part about 'letting them work on their own rhythm' is from a whole another paragraph where he's specifically talking about what the CEO of Square said and trailed on from there.
So he said a lot of shit that's unrelated to the question asked? Nice one, Phil.

Top Bottom