• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 is near finished and on track for a release.

Draugoth

Gold Member
S2HoS_GSCGameWorld_keyart_JPG-698bead53e54e0fb400c.jpg

After multiple delays, development on Stalker 2 appears to be wrapping up

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has opened Xbox's Gamescom booth with a short address where he mentions some of the games playable at the event, among them Stalker 2, which he says is currently having the final touches added.

"One that's close to my heart is [the] Stalker 2 team, and all that they've been dealing with,"

Spencer says.

"They have a playable game on the floor, which is just fantastic. I got to play yesterday. The game looks great, and they're literally downloading a build as I'm sitting there, trying to put the last touches on their game. But what an amazing story."

Vox Machina

Banned
I wonder if there will be any Game Pass upgrade we can get. I wouldn't mind tossing these devs a couple extra bones considering everything they've had to go through.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am not expecting this to be a surprise 2023 release.

God speed to the developers.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The most surprising element for a showfloor demo is the freedom you’re offered. Developer GSC Game World makes clear that this is a tiny slice of an enormous game, and still work-in-progress, but barring a short scene-setting conversation with a mysterious stranger – who directs us to speak to some locals – the demo makes no demands of you to do anything other than explore. It’s a clear marker of the game as a whole, a world that offers you choices from the beginning, and the opportunities to make them how you’d like.

Along the way, GSC Game World makes clear the power of Unreal Engine 5, imbuing beauty to a distinctly nasty world – The Zone (the name given to this alternative Earth’s post-nuclear Chornobyl Exclusion Zone) is packed with detail: abandoned buildings cut through with low, wintry light; threadbare forests broken up by oily, shimmering bubbles of warped reality; and pockets of quiet humanity being scratched out in the wilderness.

Top Bottom