• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Makes Surprise Appearance at BlizzCon 2023, Mentions Starcraft says "Future of Blizzard is Brighter than Ever"

Draugoth

Gold Member
phil-spencer-makes-surprise-appearance-at-blizzcon-2023-open_6dp8.jpg

The opening ceremony at BlizzCon kicked off with an appearance from Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer.

As Spencer pointed out, it also marked his first time at the annual convention in Anaheim, Calif., where he gave a brief speech at the Opening Ceremony. In it, he mentioned some of Blizzard's biggest franchises, with an especially loud reaction from the crowd when he dropped StarCraft's name:

Throughout Blizzard's history, they've pioneered and refined so much across the gaming industry and many of you today have been a part of that journey," Spencer said on stage. "Think of Diablo - it propelled the action RPG genre forward. StarCraft spawned the foundation for what esports would eventually become, and StarCraft 2 was a major catalyst for the evolution of games as live entertainment.
"World of Warcraft changed not only how people developed and supported games, but, really, it introduced a much wider audience to the concept of online communities," he went on. "And Overwatch not only reimagined gameplay but also the representation possible in class-based shooters."

He concluded by promising that Xbox would "nurture the essence of what has made Blizzard unique," and "empower our new colleagues in a culture of trust, inclusion, and collaboration."

Spencer didn't happen to drop any news, however.

Text via IGN

Truth is..... It's not like MSFT can make Blizzard worse than they've been. They've really kinda been oscillating between duds and scandals for like, the better part of 5+ years. On top of their player base becoming more and more disenfranchised, I just don't see how thing's will get any worse. At best, Blizzard games get added to gamepass. At worst, they stay the exact same as they've been the last 10 years or so.

TexMex

It absolutely is not. This is the problem with being loyal to companies instead of creatives. The people who made the Blizzard everyone has such extreme affection for are long gone. Blizzard has shown us what they’ve become for the last 15 years or so and we need to start believing them.

It absolutely is not. This is the problem with being loyal to companies instead of creatives. The people who made the Blizzard everyone has such extreme affection for are long gone. Blizzard has shown us what they’ve become for the last 15 years or so and we need to start believing them.
To play devil's advocate, Chris Metzen is back... Dude kinda helped shape everything about WoW from it's inception.

Last edited:

TexMex

To play devil's advocate, Chris Metzen is back... Dude kinda helped shape everything about WoW from it's inception.

That’s true and it’s just too new to see what if anything, will come of it. I’d rather have him than not of course, but the Blizzard ship is just too big to pivot from one guy.

Personally I’d rather he go off and do his own thing. I’m really excited to see what the team at Frost Giant comes up with for RTS and this Stormgate beta. Feels like it’s the only thing alive that may scratch the vintage Blizzard itch.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
At this point Phil Spencer not being somewhere is more surprising. I'm surprised that he does pop out from behind the bread when I go to buy milk.
Leave the bread long enough itll go green eventually.

P.S
Its actually GAFs obsession with Phil thats most shocking.
Someone reports on everything Phil does and a bunch of haters instead of putting the thread on ignore enter to share their disdain.
If Phil news isnt interesting, you could probably just filter out Phil so you dont need to read where he is considering he is the CEO of Microsoft Gaming, he will always be doing something.

Drizzlehell

Banned
To be fair, dangling Starcraft in front of our faces is a smart choice. It's the only Blizzard franchise that Bobby didn't have the time to completely ruin yet.

Leave the bread long enough itll go green eventually.

P.S
Its actually GAFs obsession with Phil thats most shocking.
Someone reports on everything Phil does and a bunch of haters instead of putting the thread on ignore enter to share their disdain.
If Phil news isnt interesting, you could probably just filter out Phil so you dont need to read where he is considering he is the CEO of Microsoft Gaming, he will always be doing something.

Do we report on everything Sony, Nintendo, EA execs say or do? No. They tend to do their jobs.

Maybe that's a reason why their brands (for the most part) are more successful.

The guy does too much talking. Especially for a bullshitter.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Good for them, but my wanting-to-watch-world-burn side was hoping they start buying up PS Premium memberships just to see the quick pivot.

Xbox is getting some great news recently, but the increased MTX on Halo....ooooo don't rock the boat too much there Phil

LordCBH

“Blizzards future is brighter than ever”

Goddamn that’s a death flag if I’ve ever heard one. The real question is how: mismanaged to death?

Top Bottom