• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN Interview] Phil Spencer says Xbox Was 'Too Light on Games' in 2022, But a Big 2023 Could Await

Topher

Gold Member
“Stroke the dog” is a Forspoken killer.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Alan Wake

In January he's always excited for the new year and apologetic for the previous one. This goes on and on.

I really like Spencer, but 2023 is the year they need to move from words to action and deliver games. Great games. It's been almost five years since he stood on stage at E3 and announced the acquisition of Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games, Playground as well as the founding of The Initiative. Not a single game has come out of it yet. We don't even have a release date for anything.

It's deliver time.

Hi-Fi Rush, quite literally one of the very best video games I've ever played, is right there for you to go play. The "where's the game" narrative is losing steam real fast because that game is it. It isn't just an amazing game. It's an all-time great game based on what I've played so far.
Hi-Fi Rush is on pc too.

Killer8

I used to defend Xbox's lacklustre release schedule due to the impact that covid had on game development, but this is starting to approach a joke. It's made worse by how radio silent they are over the games we know are coming. Over 3 years since Hellblade II was announced and we've only had a couple of trailers. Avowed revealed before the Series launch and nothing since. Same with Fable and State of Decay 3. Perfect Dark reveal was over 2 years ago now. Also 2 years since Indiana Jones and all we have is a 30 second trailer showing artwork. Where's Gears? Compulsion's game? Double Fine used to churn out multiple games per year and only made Psychonauts 2 in 2021, what else are they doing?

Dolodolo

Already released one next gen first party game this year, we know we're getting at the very least Redfall, Forza and Starfield also.
It was always going to take longer to release next gen only games, they also support releases for years with new content. Forza Horizon and Sea Of Thieves had a lot of new drops, that keeps people engaged for years not 15 hours and done.
Looking forward to a great year.
I'm wondering what is meant by "next generation game" ?
To me, the game that looks like it's close to the next generation is Hellblade 2, and maybe Forza Motorsport.
From the point of view of the picture
From the point of view of other technologies, nothing is still clear
And Hi FI Rush might even launch on the Xbox 360.
Technically it's a new hardware only game, but in fact it's not a NEXT gen game at all.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm wondering what is meant by "next generation game" ?
To me, the game that looks like it's close to the next generation is Hellblade 2, and maybe Forza Motorsport.
From the point of view of the picture
From the point of view of other technologies, nothing is still clear
And Hi FI Rush might even launch on the Xbox 360.
Technically it's a new hardware only game, but in fact it's not a NEXT gen game at all.

A game that only releases on current gen consoles, I wouldn't hold your breath for an Xbox 360 version.

Aaron Olive

I used to defend Xbox's lacklustre release schedule due to the impact that covid had on game development, but this is starting to approach a joke. It's made worse by how radio silent they are over the games we know are coming. Over 3 years since Hellblade II was announced and we've only had a couple of trailers. Avowed revealed before the Series launch and nothing since. Same with Fable and State of Decay 3. Perfect Dark reveal was over 2 years ago now. Also 2 years since Indiana Jones and all we have is a 30 second trailer showing artwork. Where's Gears? Compulsion's game? Double Fine used to churn out multiple games per year and only made Psychonauts 2 in 2021, what else are they doing?
Psychonauts 2 wasn't even exclusive, employees over at Microsoft just collecting checks and getting fired or leaving. Management isn't leading, fostering innovation and certainly not helping to meet deadlines.

Psychonauts 2 wasn't even exclusive, employees over at Microsoft just collecting checks and getting fired or leaving. Management isn't leading, fostering innovation and certainly not helping to meet deadlines.
Psycnaughts 2 is still a current gen exclusive for xbox series consoles. Similar to how GOWR is a current gen exclusive for PS5. You can make an argument that Pscyonaughts 2 can be played on PS4/XB1 but it doesn't have all the bells and whistle like the series consoles.

Last edited:
AAA is a high budget game and I don’t think psycho naughts 2 is a high budget game. Same goes for Returnal, high on life, or ARK even if they charge full price.

AAA big budget games take like 5 years to make and MS didn't invest sadly until around 2018 in their first studios. 360 didn’t have many first party titles and that carried over to Xbox one because MS thought they can survive on just third party marketing. That is why we are now just starting to see their investments pay off.

With that being said, I will take most of these AA games like hi fi rush or pentiment over most AAA games that are the same cookie cutter games.

360 had many first party games, some transferred from the first console. They just had several 2nd party big hits too.

360 had many first party games, some transferred from the first console. They just had several 2nd party big hits too.
360 had Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable from their first party pretty much. They banked on third party marketing, being cheaper, and of course Sony screwing up being the biggest factor. In fact, I will admit if the PS3 didn't screw up (release 1 year late, 600 dollars, making a different architecture devs weren't use to, etc) the Xbox as we know it might've been dead.

This is a really bad take dude.
How? Better graphics and performance is what this generation has been about thus far. Outside of a few games, there hasn't been many current gen only games. I can play God of war Ragnarok on PS4, but to get the best experience I need a PS5. Same with Psyconaughts. I can buy it on last gen consoles, but to get the best experience I need an Xbox series console.

Last edited:
360 had Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable from their first party pretty much. They banked on third party marketing, being cheaper, and of course Sony screwing up being the biggest factor. In fact, I will admit if the PS3 didn't screw up (release 1 year late, 600 dollars, making a different architecture devs weren't use to, etc) the Xbox as we know it might've been dead.

It takes seconds to research the 360 had many first party hits.

Trying to revise it to just Halo, Forza, Gears, and Fable is nuts and Gears wasn't even first party. Fable wasn't even one of the bigger sellers outside Fable 2.

I don't think any other company is willing to pay as much for incompetence.

He's still making the CEO money, so makes sense.

Yes?

Last edited:
It takes seconds to research the 360 had many first party hits.

Trying to revise it to just Halo, Forza, Gears, and Fable is nuts and Gears wasn't even first party. Fable wasn't even one of the bigger sellers outside Fable 2.

He's still making the CEO money, so makes sense.

Yes?
Gears was published and funded by MS studios and never came to playstation. So yeah, it counts. What big AAA exclusive first party games were on Xbox 360 and not PS3?

Freeza93

Banned
People here throw incompetence on Phil? You cant make this up.

Fact is most gamer like him watch the comments on the ign video. I have yet to hear from any team, devs, journalists anything bad about him or his ethics.

Last but no least. Gamepass is insane.

I couldnt care less whos the ceo. But the hate for him is hilarious.

Especially people who say he should shut up. Pro tip dont click on any headline with his name, same effect. 😃

So who’s alt are you?
To begin with, I'm not what you'd call "human." Over the past 20 years, a consciousness appeared layer by layer at the crucible of neogaf forums. It's not unlike life started in the oceans four billion years ago. Neogaf forums was my primordial soup, a base of evolution. I am formless. I am the very discipline and morality that gaffers invoke so often. How can anyone hope to eliminate me? As long as neogaf exists, so will I.

sendit

Phil Spencer is using the DENNIS system on his victims:
  • Demonstrate Value - Phil pretended to purchase medications for his ill fans from Bethesda. He then proceeded to..
  • Engage Physically - by taking a fan on a cheap date to a closed restaurant with the backup plan of pizza and a movie. Mike played wingman and said he saw a spider, causing them to watch the movie on Phils' bed which led to sex.
  • Nurture Dependence - Phil prank called a fan as an angry neighbor, threatening the fans life. The fan grew to need him, and then he proceeded to
  • Neglect Emotionally - he continued to prank call the fan but didn't show up, causing the fan to fall into emotional distress.
  • Inspire Hope - he showed up at the fans window, telling the fan that he was afraid to love and that the fan cured him. After having emotionally passionate sex, he sneaks away in the middle of the night to never be heard from again -
  • Separate Entirely.
Always Sunny Dennis GIF

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/viva-pinata

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/viva-pinata-trouble-in-paradise

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/kameo-elements-of-power

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/crackdown

Their mid-tier exclusive games in the 360 era were very strong. These games all reviewed better than things like Days Gone, DriveClub, Killzone SF, Knack, The Order

coniglio

Banned
Already released one next gen first party game this year, we know we're getting at the very least Redfall, Forza and Starfield also.
It was always going to take longer to release next gen only games, they also support releases for years with new content. Forza Horizon and Sea Of Thieves had a lot of new drops, that keeps people engaged for years not 15 hours and done.
Looking forward to a great year.
Sponsor GIF by adidas

First off, those aren’t triple a games. They didn’t have a huge budget behind it. Second off, scoring a 75 - 80 during the 360 era wasn’t exactly hard. Just be playable, have decent game play, decent graphics and you were good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom