• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Bethesda IP exclusivity | Yahoo Finance

Hahaha a some of you have short memory
How? I know Xbox buy things, that's not the point. The point is you guys being hypocrites about it constantly moaning and bitching when Xbox does it but give Sony the green light to do it as they please and then using it as a weapon to hate on Xbox. I'm not against them buying things, i'm an Xbox customer so i'd appreciate having the best possible content.

It's laughable and it just shows that people are salty as hell.

The Unforeseen

Neo Member
There is nothing delusional about, Microsoft has always said they don't care if you buy their console or not along as you play their games.

what do you think this means in the long run.

You might not want to believe it, but its going to happen.

Next-generation of consoles Microsoft won't bother making any hardware, they just want their app on everyone else's.

Think about their future goal, not just you're petty fanboy belief.

Regardless you like it or not, eventually, Microsoft's app will be on Sony's machine, and sony boys and girls will be playing those games.

Microsoft is not in it for you, they are in it for themselves.

Because of course Sony are the one exception here and they are in it for us, not all this making profit malarkey.

Stuart360

He is not leaving out, CEO's avoid talking or saying names of other platforms.

He needs to talk to Sony first to see if he can get Game Pass on their console. If he can't, then Sony won't get their games.
Imo Phil has probably already said that to Jimbo, 'if you want Bethesda games moving forward, Gamepass goes on PS5'. I cant see Sony allowing that though.

TriSuit666

Banned
By the time those games come out how many ps5 consoles would have been sold, 50 million 100 million.

I very much doubt Microsoft will skip those consoles, they are going to be hugely outsold with our without those games, they might as well release them on those platforms and reap the profits.

I can 100% see them releases it on there, so much money to be made, especially if those games come with the dreaded microtransactions, and we all know that is going to happen.

50, 100, 1000, 1,000,000 - you keep supping that flavor-aid, son.

As the old adage goes... 'It's not about the money... something something sending a message...'

One more adage for you... 'Sauce for the Goose, Mr Saavik. The odds will be even...'

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
50, 100, 1000, 1,000,000 - you keep supping that flavor-aid, son.

As the old adage goes... 'It's not about the money... something something sending a message...'

One more adage for you... 'Sauce for the Goose, Mr Saavik. The odds will be even...'

Its always about the money, nothing else matters with big Tech.

Silly walk away moments from exploding vehicles is for the movies, money and how much profit these companies can make is what is import to them.

Not your own personal feelings. sorry.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So it's not logical for Xbox to buy Bethesda (who by the way isn't just a singular developer but a group of them) which they helped break into console gaming, who say Xbox helped save them by getting Morrowind running on Xbox and who they themselves agree "it just felt right" seeing as they had this long standing relationship?

It seems your logic bends whatever way it sees fit depending on which console you favour.

You are trying to ignore the difference. I don’t care if it was logical or not to acquire them, since it’s still different from my example. Yeah and that video, you think they would even mention PlayStation? Lol

I can understand why people are not happy, that publishers are now getting acquired.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
How? I know Xbox buy things, that's not the point. The point is you guys being hypocrites about it constantly moaning and bitching when Xbox does it but give Sony the green light to do it as they please and then using it as a weapon to hate on Xbox. I'm not against them buying things, i'm an Xbox customer so i'd appreciate having the best possible content.

It's laughable and it just shows that people are salty as hell.
As said Before you have short memory, and seeing y using the word hypocrites is a delicious irony

sircaw

Banned
this is such a weird logic... i mean SONY could make so much more money if they released their exclusives on xbox and PC too... doesnt mean they should/would

dont you think by making Gamepass more attractive to those "100m" PS5 owners so they might switch, a better plan then just accepting the xbox cant grow? you can bet your ass a Fallout fan with a PS5 will buy a Xbox or PC Gamepass to play those games, if they out it on PS5 that person has no reason to even think about getting gamepass

It's not weird logic, is the way of the future.

It's straight from Phil's mouth, We don't care where you play them as long as you play them.

He is saying that for a reason.

Those games will be on ps5, they will want the money, simples.

Will the purchase of those studios help Microsoft, no doubt they will it will make them grow but there are not suddenly going to go from 40 million consoles to 110 and unthrone Sony.

If they had the monopoly share of the gaming market they would not have to release those games on sony's machine but they don't.

sony is going to outsell Microsoft no matter what they do this generation.

you know it, Microsoft knows it, Mircosoft will go where the money is.

Last edited:
As said Before you have short memory, and seeing y using the word hypocrites is a delicious irony
No, the hypocrisy is crying about MS doing it while giving Sony a free pass with no complaints. I'd be a hypocrite if i said Sony were bad for doing it while ignoring Xbox doing, but i'm not. You can barely spell a coherent sentence so i'm not surprised you're failing to understand that.

" What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get. "

UIBIrmg.gif

Stuart360

It's straight from Phil's mouth, We don't care where you play them as long as you play them.

Will the purchase of those studios help Microsoft, no doubt they will it will make them grow but there are not suddenly going to go from 40 million consoles to 110 and unthrone Sony.

If they had the monopoly share of the gaming market they would not have to release those games on sony's machine but they don't.

I'm sure you realize that Xbox + PC users are far more than PS5 could dream of reaching. They have enough users.

Fox Mulder

Of course they’re going exclusive, they spent 7.5 billion to make the Xbox ecosystem better.

I don’t play on pc and will be getting a ps5. Maybe I’ll see you again some day Doom or Bethesda.

SparklingShallowChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Yes, you are, and a insecure and weak one, the Worse kind
I fail to see how? I'm the one pointing out someones insecurity here, you're the one that jumped into it because you are in fact that insecure person. Call me whatever, but i'll call you out when you're bullshitting.

Don't like it? ignore me.

Last edited:
I really would like to know why PlayStation Fans after Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda even think that future Bethesda games will be released on the PlayStation 5?

Sure Microsoft doesn't care about where you play your games, as long as you play their games. But with that they mean their ecosystem which includes XBox Consoles, Game Pass, PC and Mobile Phones (xCloud). Microsoft did not spend 7.5 Billion Dollars for Bethesda who already would have released future games anyway on XBox Consoles and PC's without spending 7.5 Billion Dollars to support their direct competition which is Sony's PlayStation with Video Games.

To me this was absolutely clear as soon as I heard that Microsoft bought Bethesda :)

wolffy71

Banned
Why are prople suddenly concerned about console exclusives? This is what everyone said xbox needed to do to sell them consoles. I would think those people are now happily buying xboxs.

All this exclusive talk is bad for all of us. But the community brought this on itself.

sircaw

Banned
I dont know, but this 'ps5 will be too big to turn down', well PC users alone drawf what PS5 could hope to get to, throw in Xbox users as well and there is you userbase for the exclusive games.

in 20 years time, i see pc cloud gaming services standing alone as the king of entertainment, regardless if your a sony fan or Microsoft fan,
Cloud gaming services are where it is going to be.

Microsoft wants to be part of every streaming service they can get their hands on, do you think they are going to care about making some console that will only sell 50 million consoles, they are looking at potential billions of devices to target.

Why did Phil spencer say he does not see Sony as their competition.

Simple answer is= is he is looking at google, amazon, nvidia as there rivals.

As a Sony fan i hate to admit it, but nothing can stop this juggernaut that is coming to revolutionize gaming. or stand in its way.

Microsoft knows this, they are not going to get pulled into a petty drama of hardware sales or on which platform elder scrolls gets to be on

People that find what i say upsetting are not looking any further than the console war.

Microsoft has bigger opponents in their way than Sony, its a hard cold fact. I don't like it but its true.

Fighting Sony is a battle but fighting those others is a war, and that is what they are going to be concentrating on.

wolffy71

Banned

They never did that with exclusives before. why would they do it now? And why has sony or nintendo not done it either?
You know why tho.

sircaw

Banned
They never did that with exclusives before. why would they do it now? And why has sony or nintendo not done it either?
You know why tho.

Because Microsoft has different goals from Sony.

They have two different strategies.

Its not apples to apples in what they are both trying to do,

what did you think Phil meant when he said: " Sony are not our competition"?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony’s problem is first person shooter when you don’t have that it’s a big fuck you to your fans

The Alien

Banned
Maybe the games won't be exclusive. Mybe yiu can buy digital or physical copies so Microsofr can make money. Maybe it will be online title like ESO or F76...and others on a case by case basis....

..but you'll never see them in a sevice that competes with GamePass.

Because Microsoft has different goals from Sony.

They have two different strategies.

Its not apples to apples in what they are both trying to do,
So if it were the case that Xbox are going to allow Bethesda published games to release on PS5, then why don't they just greenlight Halo and every other first party dev to do the same?

Where does this arbitrary line come in where some first party are ok, but ones from before the purchase are a no go? Explain that strategy to us.

Stuart360

in 20 years time, i see pc cloud gaming services standing alone as the king of entertainment, regardless if your a sony fan or Microsoft fan,
Cloud gaming services are where it is going to be.

Microsoft wants to be part of every streaming service they can get their hands on, do you think they are going to care about making some console that will only sell 50 million consoles, they are looking at potential billions of devices to target.

Why did Phil spencer say he does not see Sony as their competition.

Simple answer is= is he is looking at google, amazon, nvidia as there rivals.

As a Sony fan i hate to admit it, but nothing can stop this juggernaut that is coming to revolutionize gaming. or stand in its way.

Microsoft knows this, they are not going to get pulled into a petty drama of hardware sales or on which platform elder scrolls gets to be on

People that find what i say upsetting are not looking any further than the console war.

Microsoft has bigger opponents in their way than Sony, its a hard cold fact. I don't like it but its true.

Fighting Sony is a battle but fighting those others is a war, and that is what they are going to be concentrating on.
I know about all the streaming stuff, its inevitable. I even said i expect one more gen after next, and even thats not certain imo, although there probably will be.
But thats not the here and now, and thats nothing to do with the Zenimax aqqusition.
Look at it another way, if Microsoft planned to put its games on PS5, why isnt Halo MCC already their?, bearing in mind that MCC has sold 4-6mil in 9 months on Steam, and thats while being on Gamepass. Same with Sea of Thieves, 2-5mil on Steam according to Steam Spy in 3 months?.

Also lets play devils advocate here and say you're right, what does Phil mean by this part of the quote? -

what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that.

sircaw

Banned
So if it were the case that Xbox are going to allow Bethesda published games to release on PS5, then why don't they just greenlight Halo and every other first party dev to do the same?

Where does this arbitrary line come in where some first party are ok, but ones from before the purchase are a no go? Explain that strategy to us.

Because your still in the hardware race or right now, at least until the next generation hits, then you will completely ditch it.

Do you honestly see Microsoft releasing another console in 7 years' time?>

GHG

Yeah sorry i forgot.

Isn't this what you also do? You play their games on PC as well no? So what's the problem?

Meanwhile... :

You know you guys could also put aside the brand loyalty to companies where the execs would stand and watch if you were on the street on fire, and buy an Xbox to go with you PS5. I mean even ignoring the Zenimax buy, there is a pretty good chance most multiplatform games will be better on XSX anyway. You could also wait a year or so as Starfield probably wont be out until next fall at the earliest, and Elder Scrolls and Fallout, Doom 3 etc, even further out.

"Please buy an xbox"

That's fine. I'm sure it won't be the ONLY big mistake in your life, anyway.

I have nothing against it. It’s just not a good fit for me. The PC gaming experience might be better objectively, just like a pair of Lattanzis are better than AEs. However, for my needs, a pair of AEs will do just fine.

Stuart360

When Phil said 'Sony are not our competitiors, its Google and Amazon etc', he was talking about Xcloud. It was literally an interview ABOUT XCLOUD, there are vids of it.
So tired of seeing that misquoted all the time, like most stuff he says.

Bolivar687

Banned
He's only saying case by case because he knows it will completely deflate the announcement when they inevitably admit that TES Fallout and Star Citizen are still coming to PS and eventually Nintendo.

Because your still in the hardware race or right now, at least until the next generation hits, then you will completely ditch it.

Do you honestly see Microsoft releasing another console in 7 years' time?>

Yeah, so to win the hardware race, you think Microsoft will put exclusive titles on the other competing systems?

giphy.gif

Yes i do like they've done every generation since they started... Hardware doesn't magically get better on its own and no streaming service will ever compete with the native experience.

sircaw

Banned
I know about all the streaming stuff, its inevitable. I even said i expect one more gen after next, and even thats not certain imo, although there probably will be.
But thats not the here and now, and thats nothing to do with the Zenimax aqqusition.
Look at it another way, if Microsoft planned to put its games on PS5, why isnt Halo MCC already their?, bearing in mind that MCC has sold 4-6mil in 9 months on Steam, and thats while being on Gamepass. Same with Sea of Thieves, 2-5mil on Steam according to Steam Spy in 3 months?.

Also lets play devils advocate here and say you're right, what does Phil mean by this part of the quote? -

Because game pass atm is still growing, lets be honest here for a second, Microsoft has just had a second wind after buying all these new studies, what was this place like a week ago, it was a morgue.

These studious will start delieving in only 2-3 years + time, its a long wait, Microsoft has to be patient, Rome was not built in a day. This is a company with meticulous planning set out for the future.

Our goals of today are not Microsoft's goals.

They have a bigger game in play.

At the moment game pass is indispensable, its growing, its for better use of words a fucking seed atm, hence so many 1 dollar deals to get it off the ground. In 10 years' time, damn it's going to be like the fucking BORG.

And fuck this auto-correct program i am using lol, it changes words on the fly.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Imo Phil has probably already said that to Jimbo, 'if you want Bethesda games moving forward, Gamepass goes on PS5'. I cant see Sony allowing that though.

How does putting Game Pass on PSN benefit Xbox? They would pay Sony 30% for the privilege of giving up all Xbox exclusives day 1 and Sony would still have their own PS exclusives. Game Pass is a major reason to stay or join the Xbox ecosystem.

That only pulls people OUT of the Xbox ecosystem and moves them to Sony. Xbox already has the their own ecosystem, Game Pass app and store where they can sell the app and games without giving up 30% to a competitor.

Xbox didn't spend millions and millions of dollars developing Series X/S because they are leaving the console space (contrary to Sony fans hopes & dreams). They are covering all facets of gaming with consoles being a part of that.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Top Bottom