• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Bethesda IP exclusivity | Yahoo Finance

"Existing games will he continually supported throughout their lifespan, however any new games will be exclusive to X-Box and Gamepass"

That is what they would say if what your saying was true. Unless there marketing department is deeply incompetent.

But as the Xbox community, what they should feel this is a huge investment in the experiences they are gonna have in the xbox ecosystem. And we want the xbox ecosystem to be absolutely the best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that.

"Game availability" is PR speak for "exclusivity". Let's read that last line again:
we want the xbox ecosystem to be absolutely the best place to play and we think exclusivity is absolutely part of that.

It's black and white.

Quoting myself for you. He quite literally says they will be exclusive in the politest way possible.

Add that to the comments of the founder of Bethesda ("What Microsoft owns, Sony can't have") and other industry insiders, like Jez Cordon, stating categorically these future titles will not come to PS5 (and there's no good reason why they should) and maybe it's time you let it go. It's difficult to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Nah, it's very hard to understand your weird rational behind what is the acceptable level of "closeness". If you even watched the video, they explain how it was Xbox who helped them get into developing for console in the first place. Do you want them to be engaged or something first?

So Bethesda had the same “closeness” as Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac, and the other Sony studios? Sorry your wrong these studios never delivered something on the xbox other then Guerrilla one time and Insomniac. So people trying to compare them and saying “so why is GT not on Xbox or something”.

Again they acquired a whole fucking publisher, not just a single studio they’ve been worked very very close with. I’m not saying that they where not close, but you really can’t compare it with the other studios.

Hostile_18

Banned
They're waiting for Sony to announce that Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales won't be coming to Xbox 360. Or the deal with Bethesda to be approved by regulators.

See the leap in logic your having to perform to try and justify the words their using.

How in the world is asking if franchises that are established on multiple consoles that make millions will be continued albeit with X Box Game pass day 1 the same as Will a Sony first party game that's never been on the system be coming out on a rival console?

Like Microsoft have just paid 7.5 billion but dont want to come outright and say Bethesda games will be exclusive from now on if that was their intention.

Microsoft are a smart company (and so is Phil). They have probably looked at the numbers of the two viable strategies and initially concluded it would be best to put the games day 1 on Gamepass while also selling at a premium else where. They have decided to use loose terminology so that it gives PS and Nintendo users doubt so that they gain extra pre orders while technically not opening them up to outright lying or legal litigation.

We'll see how this plays out but after a while you get use to all this legal speak. Its what's not said and reading between the lines that often tells the whole story. I just can't see a world where the strategy your saying (which is viable) is not fully capitalized on in this critical juncture.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
you are in stage 2. Don't worry it gets better
32Z6GNc.png

Wait until we hit the anger phase on Neogaf next year come E3. All of the sudden everyone will have a PC with two 3090s in SLI.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Quoting myself for you. He quite literally says they will be exclusive in the politest way possible.

Add that to the comments of the founder of Bethesda ("What Microsoft owns, Sony can't have") and other industry insiders, like Jez Cordon, stating categorically these future titles will not come to PS5 (and there's no good reason why they should) and maybe it's time you let it go. It's difficult to watch.

That's where we disagree and the ambiguity I mentioned comes in. It more than likely means "availability" means Gamepass. They know it can be interpreted both ways. But as I've mentioned if they were doing this plan they wouldn't leave such room for ambiguity.

We shall see and I certainly don't mean to upset anyone but this kind of language in the game industry is so common it seems obvious to me what's going on.

I'm all for whatever they ultimately decide though. They paid the big bucks. 😊

Senua

Let's not pretend this still won't be twisted into Bethesda IP's being released on the PS5.

He's being very careful with his words but it's clear they won't be releasing on the PS5 any time soon, if ever.
Would probably get a lot of negative backlash if he came out and said YEA FUCK PS5 YOU GOTA COME TO US BITCHES

fermcr

Playstation already got Minecraft from Microsoft... so don't complain.

Does Sony have any game on a Xbox platform?

Last edited:
By the time those games come out how many ps5 consoles would have been sold, 50 million 100 million.

I very much doubt Microsoft will skip those consoles, they are going to be hugely outsold with our without those games, they might as well release them on those platforms and reap the profits.

I can 100% see them releases it on there, so much money to be made, especially if those games come with the dreaded microtransactions, and we all know that is going to happen.
How delusional.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
PS5 gamers will just play it on PC, right? That's what they say every time they have to admit an Xbox exclusive is good.

They surely aren't being passive aggressive trolls when they say this, right?

Well it’s the best of both world, having PC/PS5.

Playstation already got Minecraft from Microsoft... so don't complain.

Does Sony have any game on a Xbox platform?

MLB next year. Microsoft ain’t created shit for PS with Mojang. They just acquired it. Minecraft was already multiplatform, same as every Zenimax game.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Would probably get a lot of negative backlash if he came out and said YEA FUCK PS5 YOU GOTA COME TO US BITCHES

But imagine the extra pre orders and money that would bring in now before next gen starts. That's alot of money to leave on the table and if true a terrible marketing mistake.

Greeno

Why do you guys dwell on unmeaningful things such as this? Instead of saying "the game is exclusive" or "the game is not exclusive", you could wait for an official announcement or just go and annoy Phil Spencer to get a direct answer.

That's where we disagree and the ambiguity I mentioned comes in. It more than likely means "availability" means Gamepass. They know it can be interpreted both ways. But as I've mentioned if they were doing this plan they wouldn't leave such room for ambiguity.

We shall see and I certainly don't mean to upset anyone but this kind of language in the game industry is so common it seems obvious to me what's going on.

I'm all for whatever they ultimately decide though. They paid the big bucks. 😊

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

I don't know how much more overt you want it.

Senua

Why do you guys dwell on unmeaningful things such as this? Instead of saying "the game is exclusive" or "the game is not exclusive", you could wait for an official announcement or just go and annoy Phil Spencer to get a direct answer.
Because we're losers with nothing better to do, duh.

But imagine the extra pre orders and money that would bring in now before next gen starts. That's alot of money to leave on the table and if true a terrible marketing mistake.

MS clearly bought it to get people over to there services, I wouldn't rule out Bethesda stuff ever coming to PS5 but I would not expect it day one in the least.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Last edited:
So Bethesda had the same “closeness” as Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac, and the other Sony studios? Sorry your wrong these studios never delivered something on the xbox other then Guerrilla one time and Insomniac. So people trying to compare them and saying “so why is GT not on Xbox or something”.

Again they acquired a whole fucking publisher, not just a single studio they’ve been worked very very close with. I’m not saying that they where not close, but you really can’t compare it with the other studios.
Why does it even need to be compared though? It doesn't as they were both the same, that being a 3rd party developers and they were bought solely for exclusivity to a specific platform. Funny how you move the goal posts with Insomniac too, they literally just made an Xbox exclusive game around 6 years ago and Sony bought them so they couldn't make another Xbox game, but alas you're fine what that completely, because you prefer Playstation.

Would it have matter if they acquired them all one by one? Nope, the end result would've been the same. Looks like if you want to play Bethesda games from now on you'll be buying an Xbox or Windows OS license (y)

If you want to blame anyone, blame Sony for forcing Microsofts hand after buying out all those timed exclusives throughout the PS4's lifetime and clearly doing the same with the PS5.

Leyasu

Banned
See the leap in logic your having to perform to try and justify the words their using.

How in the world is asking if franchises that are established on multiple consoles that make millions will be continued albeit with X Box Game pass day the same as Will a Sony first party game that's never been on the system be coming out on a rival console?

Like Microsoft have just paid 7.5 billion but dont want to come outright and say Bethesda games will be exclusive from now on if that was their intention.

Microsoft are a smart company (and so is Phil). They have probably looked at the numbers of the two viable strategies and initially concluded it would be best to put the games day 1 on Gamepass while also selling at a premium else where. They have decided to use loose terminology so that it gives PS and Nintendo users doubt so that they gain extra pre orders while technically not opening them up to outright lying or legal litigation.

We'll see how this plays out but after a while you get use to all this legal speak. Its what's not said and reading between the lines that often tells the whole story. I just can't see a world where the strategy your saying (which is viable) is not fully capitalized on in this critical juncture.

This is all about content and subscription services... Gamepass.

People are not really seeing the bigger picture. They are planning to have a subscription service that is not reliant on third party content. The only way to do that is to have content, and lots of it. Plus it means that all of the money is theirs. But more importantly, how do you make your service unmissable if all of your best content can found on another console??

Sultan711

Neo Member
Microsoft’s main goal is to have Xbox Gamepass in every platform. They’re a step closer to achieving that, with all these acquisitions they’re just trying to force others to allow them to have Xbox Gamepass in their platform

Andodalf

Banned
Wait until we hit the anger phase on Neogaf next year come E3. All of the sudden everyone will have a PC with two 3090s in SLI.

Can't wait for

"Honestly I Think Starfield looks like shit! It really just looks too good so It's just like a shitty version of Real life. The more stylized look of GOW:R looks really nice even on the PS4 version they showed!"

Dibils2k

By the time those games come out how many ps5 consoles would have been sold, 50 million 100 million.

I very much doubt Microsoft will skip those consoles, they are going to be hugely outsold with our without those games, they might as well release them on those platforms and reap the profits.

I can 100% see them releases it on there, so much money to be made, especially if those games come with the dreaded microtransactions, and we all know that is going to happen.
this is such a weird logic... i mean SONY could make so much more money if they released their exclusives on xbox and PC too... doesnt mean they should/would

dont you think by making Gamepass more attractive to those "100m" PS5 owners, so they might switch, a better plan than just accepting the xbox cant grow? you can bet your ass a Fallout fan with a PS5 will buy a Xbox or PC Gamepass to play those games, if they put it on PS5 that person has no reason to even think about getting gamepass

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

I don't know how much more overt you want it.

Doesn't that refer to Sony purchasing developers? 🤔

The Unforeseen

Neo Member
you are in stage 2. Don't worry it gets better
32Z6GNc.png

Anger will be throwing a Dualshock at a Sony Bravia in rage that they let this happen. Bargaining will begin with hoping in vain a gimped port will come to the Switch Pro, and/or trying to goad Sony into buying Take Two or Square Enix. Acceptance will be buying an Xbox or gaming PC and subscribing to Game Pass. Job Done.

I don’t think that you understand business. They’re not going to pay that money just to get these games on Game Pass day 1 and for the additional revenue streams. They’re getting these games to have exclusive content on their subscription services and consoles. It’s not really any different than streaming services and some of these companies that have bought the rights to shows that they did not originally produce. They want exclusive content to drive you to them and possibly away from competitors. Losing out on short-term revenue opportunities to bring in long-term revenue gains is the play here. That’s why Phil was pointing to Amazon and Google as competitors. They see the future market shift.

Hostile_18

Banned
This is all about content and subscription services... Gamepass.

People are not really seeing the bigger picture. They are planning to have a subscription service that is not reliant on third party content. The only way to do that is to have content, and lots of it. Plus it means that all of the money is theirs. But more importantly, how do you make your service unmissable if all of your best content can found on another console??

I'm my eyes by making it "free" via Gamepass and charging $70 on rival consoles. Not only will it bring in extra revenue it will make Gamepass look even more amazing. Best of both worlds.

sircaw

Banned
How delusional.

There is nothing delusional about, Microsoft has always said they don't care if you buy their console or not along as you play their games.

what do you think this means in the long run.

You might not want to believe it, but its going to happen.

Next-generation of consoles Microsoft won't bother making any hardware, they just want their app on everyone else's.

Think about their future goal, not just you're petty fanboy belief.

Regardless you like it or not, eventually, Microsoft's app will be on Sony's machine, and sony boys and girls will be playing those games.

Microsoft is not in it for you, they are in it for themselves.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The original Xbox came out in 2001. They have never 'won' a console generation. When are those board members going to pull the plug on Xbox? People have wanted Xbox gone for a long time. I don't think its going to happen.

I dont think so either, but Im just saying. There was unhappy board members 6 years ago and there was stories about it. New members changed that. Or someone with more percentage supported Xbox more.
But if they have another generation like the last don’t expect billions to spend on more studios to not make money

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I just feel for the poor sods working on Deathloop, cos there's no way Sony are going to push that knowing that any success they build is going to be capitalized on by Xbox. No doubt any advertising push that was earmarked for it will soon find its way to another project supplied by a "friendlier" partner.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Why does it even need to be compared though? It doesn't as they were both the same, that being a 3rd party developers and they were bought solely for exclusivity to a specific platform. Funny how you move the goal posts with Insomniac too, they literally just made an Xbox exclusive game around 6 years ago and Sony bought them so they couldn't make another Xbox game, but alas you're fine what that completely, because you prefer Playstation.

Would it have matter if they acquired them all one by one? Nope, the end result would've been the same. Looks like if you want to play Bethesda games from now on you'll be buying an Xbox or Windows OS license (y)

If you want to blame anyone, blame Sony for forcing Microsofts hand after buying out all those timed exclusives throughout the PS4's lifetime and clearly doing the same with the PS5.

They where still creating PS games this gen for PS4 and just 1 for xbox. Before this gen, it was only PS, so this whole acquisition by Sony was logical. It’s not like Xbox was missing generations of games and IP’s from Insomniac.

Your acting if Zenimax and their studio’s only created for Xbox.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Ok Phil.

I wish he would pick one.
I think you have misunderstood Phil here. He seems to be speaking of not wanting to deprive X1X users from the upcoming XSX launch titles. He is speaking about backward compatibility for Xbox users who may not want to adopt the new-gen hardware right away.

Edit: Beaten

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I don’t think that you understand business. They’re not going to pay that money just to get these games on Game Pass day 1 and for the additional revenue streams. They’re getting these games to have exclusive content on their subscription services and consoles. It’s not really any different than streaming services and some of these companies that have bought the rights to shows that they did not originally produce. They want exclusive content to drive you to them and possibly away from competitors. Losing out on short-term revenue opportunities to bring in long-term revenue gains is the play here. That’s why Phil was pointing to Amazon and Google as competitors. They see the future market shift.

Funny you should say that I have a degree in business and follow the games industry closely. I'm not saying its impossible but with the language there using to me it looks likely what I'm saying is what they have decided in this initial stage.

FYI both ways are potentially viable ways to make money or a variation thereof.

There is nothing delusional about, Microsoft has always said they don't care if you buy their console or not along as you play their games.

what do you think this means in the long run.

You might not want to believe it, but its going to happen.

Next-generation of consoles Microsoft won't bother making any hardware, they just want their app on everyone else's.

Think about their future goal, not just you're petty fanboy belief.
Why do you think they will drop consoles next generation? Where does the PC fit into your 'they don't have to buy our console statement'? The app they have is already on their own platform they completely control. Why give that up to play by rules of another platform holder?

Leyasu

Banned
I'm my eyes by making it "free" via Gamepass and charging $70 on rival consoles. Not only will it bring in extra revenue it will make Gamepass look even more amazing. Best of both worlds.
That is undeniable. But ultimately, I don't believe that that is their goal.

Just like Netflix, HBO and Disney don't share content, I don't think that Microsoft will with their content on their subscription platform.

Batiman

Banned
That might actually benefit them in the long run. But then again they have the power to choose what best fits their future plans. Their in a win win situation.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
As long as it comes to steam for the people that don’t care for Xbox app pc all is well.

Console folks like exclusives gives them a reason to get both consoles.

I replied yesterday to somthing if you go back and look at everything MS has been doing its all leading to them having GP everywhere. And i mean everywhere. I expect GP, Like EA, to be on Steam very soon.

They where still creating PS games this gen for PS4 and just 1 for xbox. Before this gen, it was only PS, so this whole acquisition by Sony was logical. It’s not like Xbox was missing generations of games and IP’s from Insomniac.
So it's not logical for Xbox to buy Bethesda (who by the way isn't just a singular developer but a group of them) which they helped break into console gaming, who say Xbox helped save them by getting Morrowind running on Xbox and who they themselves agree "it just felt right" seeing as they had this long standing relationship?

It seems your logic bends whatever way it sees fit depending on which console you favour.

Funny you should say that I have a degree in business and follow the games industry closely. I'm not saying its impossible but with the language there using to me it looks likely what I'm saying is what they have decided in this initial stage.

FYI both ways are potentially viable ways to make money or a variation thereof.

Funny, I have the similar credentials with a history of working in both private equity and fortune 100 companies at the corporate level. I hear your logic, but I think you’re being too short sighted. Acquisitions are far more forward looking than what you’re saying.

Last edited:

Warablo

He is not leaving a out, CEO's avoid talking or saying names of other platforms.

He needs to talk to Sony first to see if he can get Game Pass on their console. If he can't, then Sony won't get their games.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Funny, I have the similar credentials with a history of working in both private equity and fortune 100 companies at the corporate level. I hear your logic, but I think you’re being too short sighted. Acquisitions are far more forward looking than what you’re saying.

Well neither of us can say with 100% certainty at this stage, but it will be fun seeing how this all plays out 😊.

Top Bottom