• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Game Pass price increase is inevitable in the Future"

Del_X

The road to $24.99 per month, next stop $19.99.

They’re gonna need a whole lotta bangers to justify $300 a year. Only way is if every Actvision-Blizzard title is day and date and they’re getting their 1 game per quarter out from internal studios.

xrnzaaas

Honestly, I'm betting that MS will soon introduce ads, and then people to upgrade to a more expensive plan to do without them.

That's what Amazon, Netflix, Disney, et al. have all done!
You already have a shitload of ads in the Xbox's dashboard (which don't go away for GPU subs). Even more in the latest version... pretty much only the top row of tiles isn't an ad. ;)

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Honestly, I'm betting that MS will soon introduce ads, and then people to upgrade to a more expensive plan to do without them.

Both Sony and Microsoft were looking into that for their ftp games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You aren’t adding value if someone doesn’t want to play CoD.

$20 a month soon, $240 a year :messenger_tears_of_joy: Unsubscribe and what’ve you got to show for your money?

Emily Osment Nothing GIF by CBS

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They’re gonna need a whole lotta bangers to justify $300 a year. Only way is if every Actvision-Blizzard title is day and date and they’re getting their 1 game per quarter out from internal studios.
1 "good" AAA game and that is very little savings.

ramuh

My gold conversion ended a while back, I resubbed for a month for Starfield, then I guess realized I had two years of Ultimate that came with the machine? I went to acquire rewards and there was 2 years just sitting there. Lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My gold conversion ended a while back, I resubbed for a month for Starfield, then I guess realized I had two years of Ultimate that came with the machine? I went to acquire rewards and there was 2 years just sitting there. Lol.

Between Rewards and Gold/Core conversion, getting GPU is extremely lite on the ol' wallet. And with the amount of games, and day 1 (both first and third party) content, it's almost essential in the xbox ecosystem IMO.

Sanepar

But their fans says to us is free or $1 :/

When the monopoly is consolidate will be at least $50 month for ultimate and I bet ultimate will be $30 in 5 years max.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think the question was like: "will the acquisition of ABK cause a price increase to GP"

Meaning GP price may increase COMPLETELY OTHER REASONS and not ABK
The question that triggered the possible price increase was

――I think Xbox Game Pass is a very good subscription service overall, but as one of the users, I'm afraid of price increases. Is future price increases unavoidable or not? What are your thoughts on fees?

Phil Spencer:
Thank you for saying that. First, we always want to give you choices about how to build your library. You can subscribe to Game Pass to play or purchase games. With millions of users currently subscribing to Xbox Game Pass and many of them using it with satisfaction, I think that although it is a major premise to provide more value than that, it is inevitable that the price will increase in the future. Recently, we raised the price once, but it was a decision after careful consideration. Even if the price is raised, we believe that it is important to provide services that are recognized as having sufficient value.

So yes likely sometime in the future the price will increase and people want to run with it like its happening tomorrow (which hell it might)

Just tired of some narratives

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So yes likely sometime in the future the price will increase and people want to run with it like its happening tomorrow (which hell it might)

Just tired of some narratives

You can bet if the price increases ~3 years later, people will still post pictures of his "won't increase because of Activision" quote out of context and use it as a gotcha.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You can bet if the price increases ~3 years later, people will still post pictures of his "won't increase because of Activision" quote out of context and use it as a gotcha.
I would like to see any CEO of any company get asked that same question how it was asked and see their answer

I doubt any of them would answer "Oh our price is forever now" but people will war

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
New interview in Japanese

(FYI) Phil was asked if there would be a Game Pass price increase in the future

Phil Spencer: "Although the main premise is to provide more value, the price is I think it is inevitable that it will rise in the future. We recently raised our prices once, but the decision was made after careful consideration. We believe it is important to provide services that are recognized as being of sufficient value even if prices are increased."

“Game Pass is totally sustainable, let us just increase the price over and over and over…”…

Moses85

New interview in Japanese

(FYI) Phil was asked if there would be a Game Pass price increase in the future

Phil Spencer: "Although the main premise is to provide more value, the price is I think it is inevitable that it will rise in the future. We recently raised our prices once, but the decision was made after careful consideration. We believe it is important to provide services that are recognized as being of sufficient value even if prices are increased."

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Reality check time:

By setting up GamePass as the core focus of their business what happens if subs stagnate- or worse, fall? What's the path back to profitability?

Pivot back to conventional physical/digital sales and betray the promise of every first-party title being day#1 on GamePass?

Cut-back hard on expenditure for content?

Increase sub prices, or maybe add extra monetization like ad-support?

The way I see it, if this little corporate experiment fails... there is no easy way back. And it seems to me that the cold, hard, fact of the matter is that its already well into the stagnation phase.

My prediction is that if MS don't see a sharp upturn in fortunes within the window of all their newly acquired studios delivering their first projects (entirely under the MGS banner), the blood-letting will begin.

CuNi

I wonder if they'll add tiers to GP, with Activision joining Microsoft (most likely) soonish.
Especially with how popular COD is, I wouldn't mind if that game were to be locked behind the "premium" GP tier for like 20€ and the rest or huge majority be in the current GP with a little bump up to 13€.
I'm already paying 10€ a month and 13€ would totally be okay for the amount of games one gets to indulge in.

Hey, big Xbox fan here. Higher price game pass and discless means I'm out. If I subscribe for a month here or there, I'm playing on their time and not mine. Bad deal.

I am suspicious of buying a digital or physical game on Xbox without a guarantee from MS this library will be transferred to PC when they fail and bail.

It's time to build confidence in Xbox, it looks dire.

Last edited:

???

How does a video game subscription service work with ads? You accept a quest in Starfield and the game pauses mid-step and an ad plays, like you’re watching a TV show? That’s never going to happen.

Top Bottom