• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Pan & Wendy | Official Trailer | Disney+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Gold Member
What next? They should make Batman or Superman black just because they’re fictional?
Whats the problem? Its an artists interpretation of a fictional character. It doesn't diminish the prior or future work, it simply expands the range to which you can take a character given the cultural implications.

Let’s make black panther white.

I like to see the world burn.
Considering that Black Panther was specifically created as an inclusive character for the black community.. The comparison is a rather weak one.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why the fuck do people give a shit about some fictional characters skin color?(unless its some integral part of the story)

It's being outraged for outrage sake.

K. Let's turn Black Panther white then. Race clearly doesn't matter. There are white people in Africa after all!

TBH, I don't really give a shit. I loved Nick Fury because they chose a good actor to play the part. They didn't do it just to cross off the checklist of diversity. This and Little Mermaid were clearly done because checklist and ideological views, not because it was just the best actress/actor for the job.

Vestal

Gold Member
K. Let's turn Black Panther white then. Race clearly doesn't matter. There are white people in Africa after all!

TBH, I don't really give a shit. I loved Nick Fury because they chose a good actor to play the part. They didn't do it just to cross off the checklist of diversity. This and Little Mermaid were clearly done because checklist and ideological views, not because it was just the best actress/actor for the job.
see my answer above.

Considering that Black Panther was specifically created as an inclusive character for the black community.. The comparison is a rather weak one.
Whats the problem? Its an artists interpretation of a fictional character. It doesn't diminish the prior or future work, it simply expands the range to which you can take a character given the cultural implications.

Toons

Yes we do. The backlash of this black washed tinkerbell in on full force across the internet.

Well.... thats silly, but yall do yall.

If you really think, in 2023, they are going to tell an actress "you did good for the part, we loved you're audition, but we wont hire you because you're black" then you're way behind on the times. And if you SUPPORT them doing that, then maybe you should reevaluate your values.

But im largely over grown adults crying about kids properties. This isnt going to hurt anyone. This isnt going to brainwash anyone. Its just a black person in a movie.

Its time to move on from these antiquated hangups like this. It isn't going to age well.

Oh, and the "white black panther" bs been clown material for years.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
If you're referring to tinker bell, she isn't an English kid.

There were not white English kids in the 1900s anyway.

Instead of asking if black people give af, ask if white people give af about Tinker bell being another color because its a whire person making this movie lol
What do you mean there weren't white kids in the 1900s? I know England had some black folks 100 years ago, but it wasn't that many, it's not like America, and that doesn't really mean anything for British stories.

Some white people, especially movie producers, would turn the entire cast into a black cast if they could, some people just get off by pushing diversity. For them, it's a sign of progress to race-swap white roles. I am just waiting for when Snowhite will be black and she will be named Blackwhite lol, you know it's fucking coming.

Vestal

Gold Member
Black history and race are an integral part of the Black Panther mythos. It was literally built around it and for it specifically.

Toons

What do you mean there weren't white kids in the 1900s? I know England had some black folks 100 years ago, but it wasn't that many, it's not like America, and that doesn't really mean anything for British stories.
I mean that there were kids that were "not white" back then. They've pretty much always been there, due to slavery, colonialism and various other things. And not white doesn't necessarily mean black.

Some white people, especially movie producers, would turn the entire cast into a black cast if they could, some people just get off by pushing diversity. For them, it's a sign of progress to race-swap white roles. I am just waiting for when Snowhite will be black and she will be named Blackwhite lol, you know it's fucking coming.

Yall keep saying this, but no movie has come out like this since maybe the wiz? And I'm pretty sure that movie wasn't meant to ship the socio political landscape.

What's actually happening, is that the ever present anyone minority stigma that plagued Hollywood for decades is fading away as people rightfully realize it was bulls*** and based on racism.

And the individuals who spend their time in this already predatory snd sometimes sinister industry are realizing that ots actually mutually beneficial to not cut off all races that aren't white from getting movie roles. It helps with production, getting actors casted quicker, and etc.

Toons

Doesn’t change what I posted one bit. Btw, what are your thoughts on the race swapping in Rings of Power?

Yea it does lol. What about tinker bells story do you have to change for her to be any race?

Now ask yourself that question with tchalla.

For one, you have to change nothing. For the other , you'd have to invenr an entirely new character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom