• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines is leaving Bethesda

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's become impossible to tell who's leaving a company due to issues. Both the company and the employee are thanking each other. We continue with our lives oblivious to all the drama. Such departures leave a bitter taste; please, next time, part ways with a fiery public argument(aka "live" thread). Modern times sucks.

Humdinger

He seemingly backtracked on this?

Hm. Maybe. Or, what I think is more likely (although I admit this is speculation), ESVI will be his last run as game director, but that afterwards, he will continue to keep his hand in the game development process. That would not be at all surprising, for someone with his history at Bethesda. To take a step down, let go of the responsibility of being game director, but continue in some ancillary role. I don't see him walking away from game development entirely, which is all he's really saying here. But I suspect that ESVI will be his last spin as overall game director.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Hm. Maybe. Or, what I think is more likely (although I admit this is speculation), ESVI will be his last run as game director, but that afterwards, he will continue to keep his hand in the game development process. That would not be at all surprising, for someone with his history at Bethesda. To take a step down, let go of the responsibility of being game director, but continue in some ancillary role. I don't see him walking away from game development entirely, which is all he's really saying here. But I suspect that ESVI will be his last spin as overall game director.
Yeah you are right, I think he'll do what Miyamoto does today. ES6 seems like a great exit point for him.

X-Wing

Totally voluntary, he simply can't take Phil's bullshit anymore:
(...) email from Bethesda exec Pete Hines, in which he voices his confusion and frustration about Microsoft's stated decision to keep Bethesda games exclusive to its console platform while staying "committed to Sony" in regards to Call of Duty.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just in time to play Spider-man 2.

Coincidence I Think Not GIF

GHound

Totally voluntary, he simply can't take Phil's bullshit anymore:
People as similar as these two either become the best of friends or are incapable of getting along. It got to Pete so bad he woke up one day and decided he actually hates everyone named Phil now. 😏

Fbh

I've always unfairly disliked him because he looks almost the same (and gives off the same vibe) as a former boss whom I hated.
Still, wish him the best.

RGB'D

I posted this in my earlier response, but I really wonder how much of this is due to the transition. The hands-off approach from Xbox was probably due to Xbox trusting Bethesda, and we see how that all turned out. Redfall and Starfield suffered massive delays with Redfall being in a much worse state than anyone expected, and Phil Spencer was quick to throw it under the bus. I wonder how much of that is a factor. Hines may have taken a lot of heat for it (justifed or not).
Phil didn't throw Arkane under the bus though... or Bethesda. He blamed himself and Xbox. Also Arkane totally deserves fault as does Bethesda. They all are at fault for letting Redfall release/the direction it took/doing something completely out of their wheelhouse leading to massive departures from Arkane Austin before Bethesda was even acquired.

Unfortunately Gaas isn't going anywhere and every company is focusing on that sector. But comparing Starfield and Redfall is pretty obvious in their difference in quality.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Man, dude was a legend. Well done on getting Bethesda to achieve some great releases, well worth the journey.

DaGwaphics

Probably cashed out big from the initial sale already. He was one of the more candid voices coming out of MS as he didn't hold the company line quite as much.

Congratz to him.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
"I'm pretty certain" yeah cause he told you this personally, correct?
He was damaging to MS on the witness stand and combined with the leaked emails where he feels that Bethesda games should be treated multiplatform like Call of Duty. Its obvious he was annoyed. Or are the emails leaked by MS fake?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He was damaging to MS on the witness stand and combined with the leaked emails where he feels that Bethesda games should be treated multiplatform like Call of Duty. Its obvious he was annoyed. Or are the emails leaked by MS fake?

This goes hand in hand with that trial. It's hard for me to think otherwise.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Hm, he is not that old. Only 54 years old. I guess it was due to those emails or maybe it was the part of acquisition paycheck - stick for 2 years or something.
Quick Google shows his net worth over $2 million......being 54, if I were him, I would retire, travel and enjoy my life.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love how everybody assumes that Prey 2 would have been this amazingly awesome game without ever playing even a single level of it.

kiphalfton

Hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out. Don't forget that Bethesda wasn't exactly raking in the cash and putting out bangers under his direction. MS buying them was their lifeline and clearly Pete's vision was no longer as viable as he or you guys want some of us to believe. MS needs a unified vision and you can't have people openly poo-pooing in the direction the company wants to go. Get someone in who will tow the line.
Settle down Todd

Top Bottom