• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines is leaving Bethesda

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
After his deposition at the FTC process it was clear he was unhappy with the direction Microsoft forced the company into.
Hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out. Don't forget that Bethesda wasn't exactly raking in the cash and putting out bangers under his direction. MS buying them was their lifeline and clearly Pete's vision was no longer as viable as he or you guys want some of us to believe. MS needs a unified vision and you can't have people openly poo-pooing in the direction the company wants to go. Get someone in who will tow the line.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to leave earlier but decided to stay on until Starfield got out the door.

Now Microsoft will really get to put their stamp on Bethesda....

Hm, he is not that old. Only 54 years old. I guess it was due to those emails or maybe it was the part of acquisition paycheck - stick for 2 years or something.

I'm sure he will find something to do, maybe even start another studio.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Hm, he is not that old. Only 54 years old. I guess it was due to those emails or maybe it was the part of acquisition paycheck - stick for 2 years or something.
Exactly. He must have pissed off the right people to earn this wonderful retirement. If they vested all of his options to help him go it's probably a good thing for him.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I could see Todd being a "going down with the ship" kinda guy. He seems to have that kind if ego

Yeah, you're probably right. I imagine MS would give him a massive fat cheque to stay....Pete seemed against the purchase from the beginning to be fair and after his recent comments he's just done with it.

I'm sure he will find something to do, maybe even start another studio.
No, I don't think he will start a studio though.

Todd next! I give him 6 months
Nah, Todd will stay till the end.

Exactly. He must have pissed off the right people to earn this wonderful retirement. If they vested all of his options to help him go it's probably a good thing for him.
I think it might be due his comments that he did not like exclusivity and stuff like that. Unlike Booty who wanted to spend Sony out of the business, he was sorry for exclusivity.

Last edited:
I posted this in my earlier response, but I really wonder how much of this is due to the transition. The hands-off approach from Xbox was probably due to Xbox trusting Bethesda, and we see how that all turned out. Redfall and Starfield suffered massive delays with Redfall being in a much worse state than anyone expected, and Phil Spencer was quick to throw it under the bus. I wonder how much of that is a factor. Hines may have taken a lot of heat for it (justifed or not).

mansoor1980

Gold Member
dude was living under the shadow of todd howard...............................finally he is free and happy.....

0027345.jpg

GymWolf

Things are not gonna be the same without him...

Now we need to get rid of todd and the main writer somehow, waiting for starfield 2 is not feasible.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I'd say we're witnessing the backstage effect of Starfield and this is not the last sudden retirement, but to his credit, Pete was with Bethesda through some serious shit and turbulence, so he deserved his rest.

I posted this in my earlier response, but I really wonder how much of this is due to the transition. The hands-off approach from Xbox was probably due to Xbox trusting Bethesda, and we see how that all turned out. Redfall and Starfield suffered massive delays with Redfall being in a much worse state than anyone expected, and Phil Spencer was quick to throw it under the bus. I wonder how much of that is a factor. Hines may have taken a lot of heat for it (justifed or not).
Maybe it is due to all these issues - Redfall, delays etc. Plus him being concerned about other platforms. Anyway, let's see what's gonna happen.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It likely forced his hand to retire sooner. Most old guard of game creation leaves when buy outs like this occur and the culture changes.

RavageX

Im not surprised to see ppl leaving after acquisitions and such. They typically change everything you are used to and the things you like about a company. Having been through one myself, if the new companys views and morals are different....you either compromise or leave. I found it best to leave. Felt like I was on a ship headed towards a obvious iceberg that everyone was ignoring.

Top Bottom