• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2018 or FIFA 2018, please help me decide (Don't make this a war thread please!)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's not just the team and player names, though. It's the player likenesses. It's the match commentary, it's the names of the competitions, the Premier League logos and match overlays... all of it makes it feel so authentic.

It's like comparing racing in Gran Turismo (super authentic) to racing in GTA V. They both might be driving to win first place, but they're worlds apart in that authentic feel.

is there any Gran Turismo game on the market that have authentic physics feel?

mavo

Banned
FIFA, Pes gameplay may be better but i honestly feel people exaggerate on how much better it is (FIFA can be really frustrating sometimes so i kinda understand), it doesnt make up for the other stuff FIFA has.

Maybe I can tap into the knowledge in this thread. The only way I play FIFA is Pro Clubs, so me and my friends all control one player on the pitch, the rest is AI. Is there a similar mode in PES?

bosh

Even though PES gameplay is better, the presentation kills it for me so I always get Fifa (which is still fun gameplay!)

How I play Fifa is every year I start a career mode with a EFL (2 divisions below the Premier League) and build up a team over multiple seasons and get them to the Premier League and one day win the Ufea Champions League. With all of the licensing you can get players from any division (small or large) with their stats AND the announcer's can announcer there names. Pickup Joe dirt for a league 2 french team, they will talk about him. Playing on a harder difficulty for game play with the limited resources your team starts with really makes purchasing players interesting.

Its little things like that, that keep me coming back.

Sweep14

I cannot bear the dreadful lack of licenses on PES. FIFA all the way!

FIFA plays a great game these days too.

I remember back in the PS2 days how many of my friends preferred Pro Evo and they were always about 50/50 split in sales. How times change! (it must be, what, 90/10 now?)

It only takes 8-10 minutes (on PS4) to transform all the unlicensed and fake teams to real teams with accurate kits, stats and faces...

Sweep14

FIFA if you play it on manual.

PES 2018 is a very good game though, but I just hate the fact that there are pretty much no fouls.

You're right with the AI fouls being way too uncommon. Fortunately, the dev team finally acknowledged it and are working on a patch to correct it.

beastlove

It is simple

Do you enjoy playing online or ultimate team?

Yes, FIFA

Do you like playing against the computer and have friends who come around to play?

Yes, PES.

PES is the better football game but the online experience isn't great.

ryhannura

Neo Member
I am honestly considering getting PES 2018 this year. I'm kinda bored with FIFA. and the demo feels so weird to me. Is the master league better than the manager mode of fifa? This is the mode I play the most.

univbee

Konami France's Tweet sealed the deal for me.

https://twitter.com/QuentinQm1999/status/904020209937338368

https://twitter.com/KONAMIFR/status/904667890976247808

EQdNFKi.png

XsXHHms.png

Earlier tweet: "Even if well-intentioned, if your gf gets you PES 2018 instead of FIFA 18 that's -100 points."
Konami's reponse: "No wonder you're single."

BamFuller

Neo Member
I'm thinking I'll finally buy PES for PS4 this year, but that also has to do with the fact that I can give FIFA for Switch a shot if I really feel desperate for online. FIFA has always had the godlike licensing, but the most bullshit gameplay-wise.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Play both demos and decide. With FIFA try to play with everything on manual. It take a bit of learning, but it will be worth it.

PES OT is already up, check it, as usual the gameplay is highly praised but there are always a lot of issues with the game. Unfortunately they are usually either fixed very late or never.

Ravelle

I always always a PES guy around PES2006 and 2007 until FIFA took the lead and started to improve and switched to FIFA but after playing the FIFA18 demo it seemed it didn't play as responsive and snappy as it did anymore, it's a bit sluggish. The PES demo seemed to play a lot better.

Some other things are that the PES models look better from a distance and the animations are better, I really like PES's interface as it is clean and snappy compared to EA's never changing tiles that seem sluggish. I did hear the commentary is awful in PES though, very repetitive.

I need to play the FIFA demo a couple more times because I'm not sure which to get yet either.

ayob

i dont know if its just me but everyone i meet in real life that plays a sports game plays fifa. And thats mainly why i buy fifa every year. Its because everyone plays it (and i enjoy it of course). But i have so many non gamer friends that play fifa and its just dope to play a fifa game with them online every now and then.

ffvorax

Try the demo to see which gameplay play better for you, remember that PES have a lack of licenses (you can importa data files but even for how quick it is, still it's a bother)... consider if you have friends with one of the two games, and if that may influence the decision.

But first of all, choose the one you enjoy much.

Rellik

Yep, although that's not to say that FIFA isn't fun.

PES is better on the pitch but FIFA is the better overall package.

Package means nothing if it plays like shit, which FIFA 18 does. I felt like I was playing "My First Football Game"

I am honestly considering getting PES 2018 this year. I'm kinda bored with FIFA. and the demo feels so weird to me. Is the master league better than the manager mode of fifa? This is the mode I play the most.

Master league is like manager career in FIFA. They are pretty similar. You can manage a club and international team simultaneously in both.

PES has more options for player roles and tactics, or at least those roles appear to have more effect than in FIFA. I find this part to be much better in PES.

PES is improving it's career presentation this year, but it probably won't look as flashy as FIFA.

Scouting is less deep than PES, but I prefer it. FIFA career requires you to either spend ages looking at dozens of scout reports, or just look up player stats on the internet (there's a reason sofifa.com is so popular).
In PES, you can search the player database and get accurate player stats, and your scouts make a few suggestions where they find players at a discount. Scouting is balanced by only allowing you to actively negotiate 5 deals at a time. It's less realistic, but I'd rather play the football game than bury myself in scouting reports.
PES fully separates wage and transfer budgets, rather than the infinite readjustment in FIFA. This can make it hard for boosting a low-league team, since the wage budget goes up slowly. You might sell some guy for 50 million, but you can't just put that cash into wages. This helps avoid the FIFA problem of everyone just buying pre-contract players for 'free' and selling them ASAP for quick cash (you can still do pre-contracts and free agents in PES, but you can't assign all your budget to wages to get Messi on contract expiry)

PES doesn't have that minigame training stuff. You set training styles (goal poacher, target man, etc.) for each player and the appropriate stats go up slowly. This also affects their AI 'personality' in game. You can also can give one player some extra training to get a special skill (some skill move or a bonus like 'captaincy')

TL;DR - If you love the scouting system in FIFA, stick with it. If you like the squad tactics side of management then definitely PES.

I played the FIFA 18 demo and the movement feels slow and heavy.
That's good because it is in normal speed. I can't wait to try the slow final version.

Regarding pes vs fifa, imo:

Manual fifa is better than manual pes.
Assisted fifa is worse than assisted pes.

buenoblue

I really can't get my head around people's love for PES. It feels so amateurish and out of date lol. I've tried every years demos and bought 2013 and 2015.

Yeah fifa can be arcadey but if you put it on legendary difficulty it's a real challenge. Plus it's how you play it much like the real game. You can just long ball it and shoot on goal but you should be passing the ball around and not always be attacking.

P.s. I played real football in amateur leagues In uk for nearly 20 years.

Alexious

Honestly I've played several matches of PES and I can't see it being better than FIFA. That said, I'm not thrilled about FIFA either. From where I'm standing, to have a great game we'd need to merge the best qualities of both as they are otherwise incomplete.

LAM09

Yeah fifa can be arcadey but if you put it on legendary difficulty it's a real challenge. Plus it's how you play it much like the real game. You can just long ball it and shoot on goal but you should be passing the ball around and not always be attacking.

P.s. I played real football in amateur leagues In uk for nearly 20 years.

It's anything but a challenge. Never play FIFA aside from the demos & managed to beat Madrid 4-1 in my first game.

Carlius

Banned
I went pea for the first time since 2008. This year it just seems to be the better game gameplay wise. FIFA just did not grab me.

Pes on your pc looks and plays amazing.

This is something I have been struggling with too, which one is the better game. FIFA has always seem to be the more frills game with it's licence and more immersive commentator. PES on the other hand feels just better to me.

Bumhead

Banned
Despite ruling myself out of buying FIFA 18, I decided to re-download the demo (no idea why) and give it a shot on manual settings (something I never do)

It's an absolute game changer. It's literally fixed numerous issues I have with modern day FIFA. It makes scoring goals rewarding and exciting and playing against the AI interesting.. Just a selection of things I thought were beyond this franchise at this point.

Genuinely can't believe how much my opinion of FIFA 18 has swung back around after setting the controls to manual. I used think you people were nuts but it's a legit game changer.

Thanks for all the replies, reading them all made me come to the conclusion that keeping an eye on sales and buying both eventually seems to be the best solution. I wouldn't buy either game at full-price but both for the price of one seems reasonable for me, especially if PES gets cheaper quickly in Europe as some people said.

It's kinda funny that, if you think about it, a fusion of both games would create a near perfect football game but that's something that I've thought ever since the PS2 era and it seems it again holds true today.

Depending on how prices go I will most likely pick PES up first and FIFA at a later date as I don't think I have to worry about its online community being a problem even later on and it won't drop in price as quickly as PES.

heringer

I'm personally pretty thorn. PES 2018 on PC or FIFA 18 on Switch?

On one hand, I might prefer PES 18 gameplay, and they have an exclusivity deal with the team I support (Flamengo, Brazil). On the other hand, I think I would play far more on the Switch and I also enjoy FIFA's gameplay, but there's no Flamengo and the game will cost me twice as much as PES on PC.

What to do, what to do... :(

Big Blue

Despite ruling myself out of buying FIFA 18, I decided to re-download the demo (no idea why) and give it a shot on manual settings (something I never do)

It's an absolute game changer. It's literally fixed numerous issues I have with modern day FIFA. It makes scoring goals rewarding and exciting and playing against the AI interesting.. Just a selection of things I thought were beyond this franchise at this point.

Genuinely can't believe how much my opinion of FIFA 18 has swung back around after setting the controls to manual. I used think you people were nuts but it's a legit game changer.

A convert!!! Slotting one in the upper corner with manual controls is one of my most satisfying feelings in gaming.

I'm personally pretty thorn. PES 2018 on PC or FIFA 18 on Switch?

On one hand, I might prefer PES 18 gameplay, and they have an exclusivity deal with the team I support (Flamengo, Brazil). On the other hand, I think I would play far more on the Switch and I also enjoy FIFA's gameplay, but there's no Flamengo and the game will cost me twice as much as PES on PC.

What to do, what to do... :(

I think that is different. FIFA 18 might play completely different from the regular FIFA 18, and it is a different game by itself. the question is PES 2018 vs FIFA 2018 on similar platforms.

Bumhead

Banned
A convert!!! Slotting one in the upper corner with manual controls is one of my most satisfying feelings in gaming.

You have to work for everything.

You get punished if you don't even on the lower difficulty settings.

Every goal is a reward. I have a stupid grin on my face every time I score.

These are things that PES 2017 won me over with and I thought I'd never feel from FIFA again. Can't believe I've been playing this series for over 20 years and its like experiencing something ENTIRELY new switching to manual.

In the space of today I've gone from skipping it for only the second time to pre-ordering and feeling gutted about the wait for it to release.

SkylineRKR

I tried both demos. PES felt infinitely better to me. Its more direct, I pass around, create space and drill shots on goal. It feels good. I played with Inter against River Plate and their goalie made some great saves though he does at times stomp when he could easily catch.

FIFA still feels kind of random and over animated to me. The goalies made less of an impression on me. FIFA likely will have better online play though.

FIFA has HDR, better presentation, licenses but I think PES is more fun to play.

If you want to play online and specially if you like using any team other than 5 stars teams, then FIFA is the best bet for you.
PES's matchmaking is awful, for example, I mostly only use Sporting online and in PES I always get matched against people using Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Man United and the like while FIFA does a better job pitting you against evenly matched teams.

Blablurn

PES had its chance but in the end FIFA is the one to go.

PES might feel a little bit more realistic against the KI but in the end its about the multiplayer. And this is where FIFA wins. You can play against real players on a good connection, with your favourite team and all. And FUT is the best mode ever in a football game. Addicting and challenging.

FIFA might not be the most realistic football game but its the most fun videogame of the sport.

Drewfonse

It only takes 8-10 minutes (on PS4) to transform all the unlicensed and fake teams to real teams with accurate kits, stats and faces...

How?! I just played the PES demo and it's amazing. Even graphically on the Pro it was highly impressive. The only thing holding me back is the licensing. There's an easy fix?

Nyx

You have to work for everything.

You get punished if you don't even on the lower difficulty settings.

Every goal is a reward. I have a stupid grin on my face every time I score.

These are things that PES 2017 won me over with and I thought I'd never feel from FIFA again. Can't believe I've been playing this series for over 20 years and its like experiencing something ENTIRELY new switching to manual.

In the space of today I've gone from skipping it for only the second time to pre-ordering and feeling gutted about the wait for it to release.

The only problem with manual controls is that 99% of the people you go up against are using full automatic controls and have a much easier time than you. I always get frustrated and in the end go back to default controls.

If you only play the AI it's all good though, as you say a well planned and executed attacking play ending in a goal is super rewarding.

EA should lower the default controls to at least semi, but I guess it's too late for that.

U_Know_Me

I gave up last year and just bought both and I plan to do the same this year. I play FIFA for clubs and ultimate team and PES mostly for couch co-op and champions league.

Top Bottom