• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PD GT7 A.I goes self aware: Sophy at the wheel

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah dude, i saw the AI was trained to react properly to other cars in track and i had already corrected myself earlier.

Still, you can't compare an official by-the-book race with a game that involves a lot of planning and cunning. I'd love to see how this AI reacts to a rammer attack by other players, but we don't know that because the video barely gives any info on it.
lmfao. thats not what happened at all lol.

the ai set up an overtake there.

watch how the human driver in front defend in the corner by keeping on the right side of the road, then ai lift the throttle and move to the left, the human driver thought he was safe then move a little to the left to take a good racing line on the exit but he opens the door on the right and the ai quick-change direction overtaking it.

thats mindblowing stuff lol

Tripolygon

Banned
How about you go watch a whole bunch of videos on machine learning instead? Way better than any promotional video that barely explains anything. I can even recommend a channel:

It is not a marketing promotional video. It is actual research and breakthrough in machine learning applications. Two Minutes Papers is an amazing channel I hope everyone subs to.

Guilty_AI

lmfao. thats not what happened at all lol.

the ai set up an overtake there.

watch how the human driver in front defend in the corner by keeping on the right side of the road, then ai lift the throttle and move to the left, the human driver thought he was safe then move a little to the left to take a good racing line on the exit but he opens the door on the right and the ai quick-change direction overtaking it.

thats mindblowing stuff lol
Yeah, its mindblowing, but not all that unusual in the area. There are even papers of AIs who learned how to cheese a game physics engine to in order to win.

Guilty_AI

It is not a marketing promotional video. It is actual research and breakthrough in machine learning applications. Two Minutes Papers is an amazing channel I hope everyone subs to.
I know full well there's research behind it. The problem is watching that 10 minute video that is just a promotional video thinking it'll help you learn anything.

Unfortunately its impossible to have a proper discussion about this since this is Sony and Gran Turismo, the territory will always be muddied by fanboys who just want to praise their favorite company and can't keep an objective mindset about it.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I know full well there's research behind it. The problem is watching that 10 minute video that is just a promotional video thinking it'll help you learn anything.
In total there is about 3 hours' worth of video to show how the agent races against top players.

Here are a two minutes papers type video on some of it as well from 2 years earlier.

SLB1904

Banned
There are even papers of AIs who learned how to cheese a game physics engine to in order to win.
but that's not what they are trying to do here. if they wanted they could get the ai to take the absolute race line at absolute speed and no one would catch it ever. but here they are making the ai drive the car, which means every external situation will affect the driving like it would to a human. tire wear, weather dirt etc.
this ai can play any game. is not made for just gran turismo. that's why they call driving assistant ai

Guilty_AI

In total there is about 3 hours' worth of video to show how the agent races against top players.

Here are a two minutes papers type video on some of it as well from 2 years earlier.

The second one is an interesting one since it highlights the overtaking process, which is what i was more interested in.
It also shows some of the limitations (though the video is old so they could have addressed that already) since the AI crashes two times into a wall and in the rear of one of the opponents, things it could get only away with because GT has very simplistic crashing physics.
Don't take that to mean i'm saying the AI sucks or anything, its still impressive stuff, its just i like seeing the limitations of current tech.

but that's not what they are trying to do here. if they wanted they could get the ai to take the absolute race line at absolute speed and no one would catch it ever. but here they are making the ai drive the car, which means every external situation will affect the driving like it would to a human. tire wear, weather dirt etc.
this ai can play any game. is not made for just gran turismo. that's why they call driving assistant ai
Now THAT needs some sources. It may be possible to adapt it to similar games like Assetto Corsa and Forza, though it'd still need some tweaking, but any game? Thats not how these AIs work.

Even assuming you're just refering to realistic driving games, GT doesn't account for every driving scenario that may be present in those, like bumpy roads, highly detailed crash and mechanical failure dynamics, or agressive opponents (i mean ram-you-into-a-wall agressiveness, not this by-the-book agressive you see in official competition). It has a long way to go in order to work on every driving scenario possible in any driving game, and they'd have do active work with dozens of other titles too in order to make it work properly.

Last edited:

Loxus

I have a feeling Sophy is beyond just Gran Turismo. They keep calling her GT Sophy like there are other video game versions of Sophy and mentioning her as a teaching tool.

I wonder if that AI companion patent for PS5 is Sophy.

Guilty_AI

is literally in this video

Are you talking about what they say at the end? They aren't talking about this Sophy AI, just their hopes for AI in general and that maybe some of the R&D they did here can help make other AIs to play different games, which is true for any sort of AI research.

You can't take this Sophy and put it to play CSGO if thats what you were thinking. As i said thats not how it works.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You can't take this Sophy and put it to play CSGO. As i said thats not how it works.
of course not ha, sorry if you understand that way lol, basically the same way they taught sophy to play gran Turismo they can do that for other games. regardless sophy system is still in early stages, its only 2 years old, button line the progress they make here will make it possible to apply to other games, at least that's the goal

Guilty_AI

of course not ha, sorry if you understand that way lol, basically the same way they taught sophy to play gran Turismo they can do that for other games. regardless sophy system is still in early stages, its only 2 years old, button line the progress they make here will make it possible to apply to other games, at least that's the goal
You need a case by case approach for that tho. A MP shooter game would need a completely different set of inputs, rewards and settings than a driving game would. Maybe they could re-use some of the methodology they used with Sophy but ultimately you'd need to re-build an AI from the ground up for that.
And naturally, different shooters would need different approachs too, its not like you could take a CSGO AI and make it play Escape from Tarkov.

I don't really think we'll see much more applications in games than that, at least not for competitive-style AIs. I can't think of much use to them, and companies like Sony probably prefer stuff like what they did with Spider-man muscles in Miles Morales since there are clear payoffs to those.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You need a case by case approach for that tho. A MP shooter game would need a completely different set of inputs, rewards and settings than a driving game would. Maybe they could re-use some of the methodology they used with Sophy but ultimately you'd need to re-build an AI from the ground up for that.
nope. they taught sophy to play gran Turismo

[Sigma]

Sophy-winning.gif

SLB1904

Banned

SLB1904

Banned
"Sony AI Unveils Gran Turismo Sophy™, a Breakthrough in AI – Sony AI" https://www.ai.sony/articles/sonyai009/
What is GT Sophy?
GT Sophy is an autonomous AI agent trained utilizing a novel deep reinforcement learning platform developed in collaboration between Sony AI, PDI and SIE. Each group contributed to the success of the project by bringing together expertise in fundamental AI research and development, a hyper-realistic real world racing simulator, and infrastructure for massive scale AI training.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Really cool if it gathers vector space data in real time, like humans and real FSD cars.
Im honestly surprised A.i has not been made yet that can play fortnite or other shooters.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sophy will get smashed into the first corner wall like all the rest.

It doesn't work like that in Gran Turismo games. You don't just smash people around as you probably lose/get blocked from races due to penalties. But like the idea though.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

zombrex

Hopefully, they have actually used this to improve the literally non existent AI in the game.
No excuse if they are on rails again and set to specific lap times.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

'GT Sophy' made a splash in early 2022 as it was declared to be a new type of AI racer for Gran Turismo that could leave many a professional player in the dust. It's time to find out how it works, and the story of where it comes from.

Video Chapters:
[00:00] Intro
[01:23] Sony AI
[05:02] The Goal of Sophy
[09:30] Sophy's 'Brain'
[15:59] Learning to Race
[19:23] Rewarding Good Racing
[23:44] Training a Champion
[30:34] Open Challenges
[31:38] Credits

Top Bottom