• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PD GT7 A.I goes self aware: Sophy at the wheel

Inviusx

We gonna learn these tracks and we gonna take that to be better than a Machine, exciting times we are in here. Can you imagine the fun times we can have with intelligent ai in co op games either as your companion or nemesis. Games stopped being fun with dumb ai, this will revolutionise the gameplay experience

Sophy's desire to treat every corner as life or death would really make B-Spec mode interesting.

Last edited:

DJ12

We gonna learn these tracks and we gonna take that to be better than a Machine, exciting times we are in here. Can you imagine the fun times we can have with intelligent ai in co op games either as your companion or nemesis. Games stopped being fun with dumb ai, this will revolutionise the gameplay experience

I take it Sophy Lavande is the one created with Max Verstappens racing data.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Look at it, it's incredible, looks like a human is driving the car.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Me trying to beat that in my 189 attempt...

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

hlm666

Interesting stuff.

Would be interesting to note if this is due to some "cracks" in the "simulation" or if these sorts of techniques would actually work on a real track with real cars.

Typically the "lines" that drivers use in these games are meant to mimic those used in real life.

But honestly.. from a machine learning standpoint... not sure how interesting this is lol Folks working on car AI aren't trying to make cars win races on controlled track conditions.
worth a look if your interested in it.

Raven117

Okay, explain the complexities I've misunderstood then. What is so funny about what I wrote?
It’s hard to begin quite frankly. Buuut, let’s switch this into something constructive.

Perhaps give racing a go? Assetto Corso Competitione is like 13 dollars for PS4 right now, with a free Ps5 upgrade coming on a few weeks. Since you obviously enjoy making quick decisions and calculations, perhaps it’s something you may like trying out for a bit.

Exoil

I wonder if Sophy always will be this aggressive, fighting over every corner, I can't say I saw one instance where they used bump drafting to close in on the human players ahead, albeit not the greatest tracks with fast straights for bump drafting

Raven117

Could simply become a sort of final boss, bragging rights for whoever can beat Sophy.
In lap times, yeah....might be very difficult.

In 20 car grid race conditions, as the poster said above....That AI is going into the turn 1 wall like the rest of us. Will that AI know where to cut corners? Where to bend then brake..har bar... the rules?

SLB1904

Banned
In lap times, yeah....might be very difficult.

In 20 car grid race conditions, as the poster said above....That AI is going into the turn 1 wall like the rest of us. Will that AI know where to cut corners? Where to bend then brake..har bar... the rules?
Yep. It was doing faints as well lol

Raven117

Yep. It was doing faints as well lol
Exactly. All that stuff. Can an AI figure out how to mathematically find the fastest way through each corner on a track? Sure. But winning a race is not all about being the fastest...its about being the fastest RACER. And racing is very unpredictable.

fragganaut

Long Video … shows that the different versions of Sophy making quite a few mistakes when forced by other Cars but still were able to recover and regain positions. I found the orange Sophy from the last race to be the Most impressive by starting from P1 then after crashing in the first corner falling back to last and still winning the Race

Raven117

Teach me then
I will give you the same advice I gave the other poster. Go try out Assetto Corso Competitionze. Its 13 bucks on ps4 right now...a free upgrade to ps5 coming in two weeks. Maybe its something worth giving a go for you. (Or just wait for Gt7, but that is more expensive and less of a straight up simulator). Try tinkering around to get a feel for some of it.

There is so much about racing that occurs before you even hit the track let alone mixed with the irrational human behavior. Decisions you make in the garage can fundamentally change how a race goes. Mix in dynamic weather...changing track conditions...good drivers..bad drivers...wrecks...spinouts...rule breaking...rule bending....

In a simulation it may get there quicker...but in any kind of real world senario...its FAR from being able to race.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I will give you the same advice I gave the other poster. Go try out Assetto Corso Competitionze. Its 13 bucks on ps4 right now...a free upgrade to ps5 coming in two weeks. Maybe its something worth giving a go for you. (Or just wait for Gt7, but that is more expensive and less of a straight up simulator). Try tinkering around to get a feel for some of it.

There is so much about racing that occurs before you even hit the track let alone mixed with the irrational human behavior. Decisions you make in the garage can fundamentally change how a race goes. Mix in dynamic weather...changing track conditions...good drivers..bad drivers...wrecks...spinouts...rule breaking...rule bending....

In a simulation it may get there quicker...but in any kind of real world senario...its FAR from being able to race.
I play assetto on PC. And yet you haven't told me why 20 car grid makes a difference ? Please explain to me why 20 car grid will make any difference

vkbest

This kind of reaction time doesn't really matter much for an AI. Its the decision making process thats troublesome.

The AI can perceive a incoming wall pretty fast no problem, and it has more than enough leeway to react in time, being a machine and all. The real problem here is how we teach the AI that it is supposed to break when it sees said oncoming wall.

In that sense, competing with other humans is definitely a much more complex task, since humans are far more unpredictable than a racing track. As i showed in the video earlier, the methodology is 'simple' enough that you can find people on youtube applying it to different games for educational purposes, or even just for the heck of it.
Mate you are embarrassing at yourself. First watch the video and after you can back here

Aenima

Long Video … shows that the different versions of Sophy making quite a few mistakes when forced by other Cars but still were able to recover and regain positions. I found the orange Sophy from the last race to be the Most impressive by starting from P1 then after crashing in the first corner falling back to last and still winning the Race

Really impressive stuff. Sophy Orange was the real MVP. Had an accident in the 1st corner, then managed to overtake everyone in a clean way and win with 8 seconds advantage. Meanwhile Sophy Blue was being more whrecless and getting alot of penalties. This kind of AI behavior kinda gives each AI car its own personality, its really impressive and enjoyable to watch them compete against human pro players.

A B-Spec Mode, with this AI would be something amazing.

Guilty_AI

Yeah dude, i saw the AI was trained to react properly to other cars in track and i had already corrected myself earlier.

Still, you can't compare an official by-the-book race with a game that involves a lot of planning and cunning. I'd love to see how this AI reacts to a rammer attack by other players, but we don't know that because the video barely gives any info on it.

Top Bottom