• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC/Tech Support GAF: USB devices (mainly keyboard and mouse) randomly disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

This has been happening on and off for about the last month. I have had my keyboard and mouse randomly disconnect from my computer. I know a lot about this kind of stuff, but I have googled the crap out of it, tried many different solutions and still keep having the problem. First of all, my PC specs:

1000w PSU
Intel Core i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5 GHz
nVidia GTX 770
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Logitech G700s mouse (USB, can be used as wired or wireless, I use it in wired mode)
Mechanical USB keyboard, with audio ports and two USB ports on it. I have my headphones and microphone plugged in the audio ports, nothing in the USB ports.
I also have a desk that has a USB hub in it, however this has it's own external power cable which is plugged in.
Printer connected via USB
TrackIR 5 and TrackClip Pro connected via USB (TrackClip feeds into TrackIR's wire to go to the same USB port)
USB 3.0 External HDD, with it's own power source as well
SSD (OS installed on it), 4 HDD's all plugged in via SATA

Other than devices I plug in to use occasionally, I think that's everything I normally have plugged in. This has happened without the other devices plugged in, so I really don't think they are worth mentioning.

I've also noticed this in my Device Manager:

016bNMD.png

Particularly the "Unknown USB devices" and I have tried everything to make them go away. This happened when I was still on Windows 7, and still happens when I have even clean installed Windows 10.

Occasionally my computer just freaks out and keeps beeping with the mouse cursor stuttering all over the screen. Usually the way to end that is by hitting the rest button.

I really hope I've supplied enough information. With that...any ideas?

You need to find out what specific model and version number your motherboard is. The entire first batch of mobos for the 2500Ks were known to have USB ports and SATAs that would degrade over time. Also relevant to figuring that out: how old is the computer?

Hylian7

You need to find out what specific model and version number your motherboard is. The entire first batch of mobos for the 2500Ks were known to have USB ports and SATAs that would degrade over time. Also relevant to figuring that out: how old is the computer?

I built this computer in 2011, but have added to it since then. My mother board is the ASUS P8P67.
did you try changing the batteries?

Batteries of which thing? CMOS battery? Mouse battery?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I built this computer in 2011, but have added to it since then. My mother board is the ASUS P8P67.

Batteries of which thing? CMOS battery? Mouse battery?

Heh, I didn't really think this through but I use a wireless mouse and kb.

Hylian7

Read a really dumb-sounding suggestion when googling this more: Take a qtip with rubbing alcohol and clean the optical lens of the mouse. So far it hasn't done it since I tried that, but I'm still pretty skeptical and think it's a conicidence.

Corpekata

Banned
Have you tried rolling back your OC at all? It screws with some of my USB ports when I get higher. 4.5 is a pretty high OC for a 2500k.

Read a really dumb-sounding suggestion when googling this more: Take a qtip with rubbing alcohol and clean the optical lens of the mouse. So far it hasn't done it since I tried that, but I'm still pretty skeptical and think it's a conicidence.

Agreed. It sounds like an issue with the physical devices attached to the mobo (i.e. the relevant usb ports). Not much you can do about that. Really, just try other usb ports that are considered their own device in the eyes of the mobo and see if the problem persists. If not then it is physical degradation of the actual USB ports.

Edit: Re-reading what's in device manager, those error messages may refer to the actual keyboard and mouse itself.

Hylian7

Have you tried rolling back your OC at all? It screws with some of my USB ports when I get higher. 4.5 is a pretty high OC for a 2500k.

I'm playing some Dota right now, if it does it during these matches then I will give that a try.

Agreed. It sounds like an issue with the physical devices attached to the mobo (i.e. the relevant usb ports). Not much you can do about that. Really, just try other usb ports that are considered their own device in the eyes of the mobo and see if the problem persists. If not then it is physical degradation of the actual USB ports.

Edit: Re-reading what's in device manager, those error messages may refer to the actual keyboard and mouse itself.

The mouse does show up as a seperate device under "Mice" on Device Manager. Under Keyboard I see 3 "HID Keyboard Device"

Resnais

Neo Member
I had the same problem with my USB "XBox 360 wireless controller dongle".

What cured:

1) Switch device manager view to "devices by connection"
2) Delete all the USB root hubs (last one- where the mouse is connected)
3) Turn off computer with help of the power button on the case
4) Boot computer, success :)

Hylian7

I had the same problem with my USB "XBox 360 wireless controller dongle".

What cured:

1) Switch device manager view to "devices by connection"
2) Delete all the USB root hubs (last one- where the mouse is connected)
3) Turn off computer with help of the power button on the case
4) Boot computer, success :)

I forgot to mention I have that same dongle. I'll try that after this Dota match.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I have a Asus P8P67 rev 3.1 and and a G700s, I have also experienced random disconnects with my mouse in the past. I switched ports a few times and currently my mouse is plugged into the usb 2.0 ports directly next to the blue 3.0 ports, and that seems to have fixed it.
Never had this problem with my keyboard (Logitech G110) or any other devices, but I rarely plug in anything else other than a printer so take that as a grain of salt.

My 2500k was at stock speeds and this problem still happened fyi.

edit: double fyi I built this computer in early 2012

Hylian7

I have a Asus P8P67 rev 3.1 and and a G700s, I have also experienced random disconnects with my mouse in the past. I switched ports a few times and currently my mouse is plugged into the usb 2.0 ports directly next to the blue 3.0 ports, and that seems to have fixed it.
Never had this problem with my keyboard (Logitech G110) or any other devices, but I rarely plug in anything else other than a printer so take that as a grain of salt.

My 2500k was at stock speeds and this problem still happened fyi.

edit: double fyi I built this computer in early 2012

My ports sound a bit different than yours. I have two blue USB 3.0 ports next to the ethernet port, two orange USB 2.0 ports on the second row from the top, and then four black USB 2.0 ports on the top row. I didn't count anything on the front of the case obviously.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a keyboard related but dissimilar problem. Some mornings or when I first turn on my PC for the day, the keyboard will just randomly not work. It is getting power from the PC as the numlock light is on, but no inputs are accepted. However, the condition never lasts for more than maybe a minute, and in most cases it resolves itself in less than 20 seconds. In fact, it seems as though it's just really lagging, as if I go to type my password (the mouse still works so I can click in the box) nothing immediately shows up, but after a time a bunch of characters fill in. This doesn't happen nearly everyday, but maybe around once a week.

Hylian7

HOLY SHIT I THINK I FIXED IT.

I googled more on the subject around the internet. I found out the drivers for the built-in Bluetooth module aren't compatible with Windows 10, so I disabled the Bluetooth model from the BIOS, and uninstalled the "Unknown USB Device" and it has actually stayed gone. Now to see if my mouse doesn't fuck me over this next Dota match.

Edit: God dammit it's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom