• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

calling tech support Gaf!

diunxx

Hi Gaffers! Last week I turned off my PC by pressing the power button by mistake (thought it was turned off), after that I turned it on again and everything lighted up and even hear the windows log in sound but I got no video, I plugged and unplugged the GPU, tried with a different HDMI cable and nothing, I gave the GPU to a friend to test and it worked for him.

Meanwhile while my friend tested I installed my old Ryzen 3 3200G, I got a message saying that the BIOS have flashed and then it boot up to windows and everything worked fine, After I got my GPU back, I reinstalled my Ryzen 5 and the GPU and everything was fine until a windows 11 update, then the same thing started to happen.

Popped in my ryzen 3 and was getting no signal until I popped in my W10 bootable USB.

Did a clean reinstall of W10, again everything was working fine, reinstalled my Ryzen 5 and got my ass kicked on returnal for a couple of hours, then this morning it started happening again.

Reinstalled my ryzen 3 and this time got a BSOD, reinstalled W10 and everything has been working fine with the Ryzen 3 but with the Ryzen 5 I'm still getting no display ( it does boot up to windows since I can hear the log in sound)

Tried taking out the CMOS battery for 15 mins and nothing, stress tested my RAM, check the SDD for errors etc and everything comes out fine, when the Ryzen 5 is running I get no slowdowns or artifacts.

Also to note, every time I swapped CPUs the PC would boot up with a lower resolution as if the GPU drivers weren't up to date, a couple of seconds after boot the screen would refresh and change to 1080p.

I'm at a lost, the Ryzen 5 is like 2 months old, thinking it might be that or the MOBO, anyone has run into this issue before? sorry for the wall of text I tried to be as detailed as possible.

9be2daad-9620-4a57-8355-ba2242c17cc7_text.gif

Sorry dude, I'm not into AMD. It's pure Intel inside over here baby!

diunxx

Maybe there is a setting in your BIOS that you need to disable then. I believe your Ryzen 3 has on board graphics. With that being the change in your system that seems to trigger the issue.
Yeah thats were my mind is, something is preventing the GPU from being read, what puzzles me is why does the machine detects it when the Ryzen 3 is on but not with the Ryzen 5, maybe communication between the CPU and board or card is failing somewhere along the way, talking as someone with no deep knowledge of course.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I was going to say that you mentioned everything works when you put in the Ryzen 3, which has Vega graphics. I will assume you're plugging in the HDMI cable into the GPU and not the motherboard because it has an HDMI port, and Ryzen 3 has integrated graphics. But you mentioned it working before for a bit, so; have you tried updating your bios to the latest version, or it is already there, should be F56b. It seems like there is some miscommunication between the MB/BIOS settings and the GPU. It might be thinking you're running the Ryzen 3 with the Vega graphics so it's defaulting to the MB HDMI port, when in fact, you have the 5 with no graphics.

Another thought: Is the PSU powerful enough to run everything? Sometimes they can degrade and not pump out enough power to run the CPU/GPU combo.

Last edited:

diunxx

I was going to say that you mentioned everything works when you put in the Ryzen 3, which has Vega graphics. I will assume you're plugging in the HDMI cable into the GPU and not the motherboard because it has an HDMI port, and Ryzen 3 has integrated graphics. But you mentioned it working before for a bit, so; have you tried updating your bios to the latest version, or it is already there, should be F56b. It seems like there is some miscommunication between the MB/BIOS settings and the GPU. It might be thinking you're running the Ryzen 3 with the Vega graphics so it's defaulting to the MB HDMI port, when in fact, you have the 5 with no graphics.
Yeah, I have the latest BIOS and use the GPU's HDMI port, really hoping this is a MOBO issue since I was planing on upgrading to a B550 anyway but if the CPU itself is not communicating with the GPU then it becomes pretty useles. :messenger_crying:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Yeah, I have the latest BIOS and use the GPU's HDMI port, really hoping this is a MOBO issue since I was planing on upgrading to a B550 anyway but if the CPU itself is not communicating with the GPU then it becomes pretty useles. :messenger_crying:
I know that sometimes some monitors will just blank out if the output of the image is higher than it supports. Have you tried plugging the cable into another monitor, or a TV just to see if you get any video?

Vestal

Gold Member
Well here are some things to test given your experience so far.

With Ryzen 3
Download Memtest and do a full run and see if your memory is in good shape.
If that comes back clean
Download CPU-Z and see if it picks up your GPU.
If it does pick it up.. but not getting display?

Either your Power supply is insufficient/defective or your motherboard is hosed.

diunxx

Well here are some things to test given your experience so far.

With Ryzen 3
Download Memtest and do a full run and see if your memory is in good shape.
If that comes back clean
Download CPU-Z and see if it picks up your GPU.
If it does pick it up.. but not getting display?

Either your Power supply is insufficient/defective or your motherboard is hosed.
Thanks, was already planning on letting Memtest run all night, the GPU does gets pick up by GPU and CPU-Z.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Have you tried a different monitor cable or monitor? Are you using hdmi or displayport? If you have multiple ports of these two try the cable in different slots. If you have a monitor to test, try that as well. If what you say is ccorect and you hear the windows sound and it boots up and everything is fine, then it doesnt sound like cpu/ram/mobo issue.

Top Bottom